Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 5e - Faerun Undying Patrons for Warlock?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Portuguese D. Ace
Seeker

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2016 :  18:55:43  Show Profile Send Portuguese D. Ace a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Dear fellow scribes,

we are starting a new campaign based on Legacy of the Crystal Shard.
A player of mine will be a Undying Patron warlock, but i have no idea which patron i should propose.

I would like to avoid Larloch & C.

Could you please help me?

Thank you

Ace

Please, bring back the Realms. I'm really fed up with the Sword Coast.

===== Since English is not my first language, I pre-emptively apologize for any (grammar) mistake that has been made in my post. In order to help me improve my English, please, point out those mistakes (If you could do it politely, it would be even better!). Thanks! =====

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2016 :  20:16:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just going on a guess here and thinking you don't want there to be an undead focus to his patron, nor do you want Gilgeam because he's nowhere near by. What about the elven god, Labelas Enoreth, god of longevity? Nothing says a Patron can't be a deity (and in fact, Gargauth and Moander are both deities who are patrons.... granted patrons who also are a fiend and a being with possible links to the far realm). Still, the idea of Labelas is that he's about long life, and the undying are about achieving long life (if not immortality), plus he's got several places linked to him throughout the North according to demihuman deities.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Portuguese D. Ace
Seeker

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2016 :  22:38:22  Show Profile Send Portuguese D. Ace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I'm just going on a guess here and thinking you don't want there to be an undead focus to his patron, nor do you want Gilgeam because he's nowhere near by. What about the elven god, Labelas Enoreth, god of longevity? Nothing says a Patron can't be a deity (and in fact, Gargauth and Moander are both deities who are patrons.... granted patrons who also are a fiend and a being with possible links to the far realm). Still, the idea of Labelas is that he's about long life, and the undying are about achieving long life (if not immortality), plus he's got several places linked to him throughout the North according to demihuman deities.

Thank you for your help, sleyvas.

I think my player would like something a little bit more "on the wicked side".
Maybe someone, faithful to Labelas Enoreth, that misinterpreted (is this even a word?!)his message and erroneusly sought an excessively long-lasting life?
(maybe this entity needs warlocks - or their deeds, even better if bloodthirsty deeds - to fuel their long life-span?)

To my knowledge Labelas is the god of the passage of time/keeper of time (similar to Amaunator field, perhaps?).

In my point of view (please correct me if my idea is incorrect), a god that governs the orderly passage of time shouldnt encourage "an undying entity" or a path to undeath/immortality.
A thing is to watch over and protect the long-life span of elves, another is going full-lich...

But I digress... :)

===== Since English is not my first language, I pre-emptively apologize for any (grammar) mistake that has been made in my post. In order to help me improve my English, please, point out those mistakes (If you could do it politely, it would be even better!). Thanks! =====

Edited by - Portuguese D. Ace on 02 Aug 2016 22:39:50
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2016 :  01:33:43  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Labelas Enoreth had a long forgotten aspect known as Chronos, Kronus or Karonis that was worshiped in the tiny realm of Orva (nowadays Vast Swamp in Cormyr). We don't have much information on Orva, but the Four From Cormyr adventure states that Orva used the Thorass language and Karonis was depicted as an young winged human dressed in robes, holding a scythe and chained to an hourglass.

Maybe you could use this Labelas Enoreth's aspect as the wicked side of him.

Edited by - Hawkfeather on 03 Aug 2016 01:34:53
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2016 :  14:00:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Portuguese D. Ace

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Thank you for your help, sleyvas.

I think my player would like something a little bit more "on the wicked side".
Maybe someone, faithful to Labelas Enoreth, that misinterpreted (is this even a word?!)his message and erroneusly sought an excessively long-lasting life?
(maybe this entity needs warlocks - or their deeds, even better if bloodthirsty deeds - to fuel their long life-span?)

To my knowledge Labelas is the god of the passage of time/keeper of time (similar to Amaunator field, perhaps?).

In my point of view (please correct me if my idea is incorrect), a god that governs the orderly passage of time shouldnt encourage "an undying entity" or a path to undeath/immortality.
A thing is to watch over and protect the long-life span of elves, another is going full-lich...

But I digress... :)

Ok, that makes more clear your intentions. So, wicked but undying... let's throw out some things against the wall and see what sticks.

Karsus? Not trulying undying, but he isn't undead and he's a vestige known for aiding binders. His physical body is out in the High Forest.

Thayd? Leader of the Theurgist Adepts, and according to an old article written by Ed Greenwood he was involved with Thay's rebellion from Mulhorand. He lives on as some kind of "ghost" that takes people over (weave ghost? wizshade? evil Telthor? Watchghost? Something else entirely? My take in 3.5 was that he was a vestige and I still like that version the most).

Aumvor the Undying? Not much better than Larloch though, and not sure that I'd want him "elevated" to that power level.

Just to throw out there something interesting you might involve this character with, look up this history of Jhingleshod, the Iron Axeman. It might be interesting if Jhingleshod has also become a warlock (maybe with pact of the blade) in service to the same undying patron. He's found around the ruins of Karse where Wulgeth of Ascalhorn (not Netheril) fled and Jhingleshod slew Wulgreth of Ascalhorn there (transforming him into a lich).

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Jhingleshod

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2016 :  17:23:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Thayd idea, this is from "The Hooded One" via an ask Ed post several years back, which details what became (somewhat) of Thayd.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13186&whichpage=80

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 : 18:53:26 Show Profile Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message

Hi again, all.
Thauramarth, Thayd survived as an undead sentience (perhaps unique; Ed hasn't said) that could possess living bodies (mammals of all sorts), but "burned them out" rapidly (a matter of two tendays at most). He clung to the company of his lieutenants . . . but eventually vanished, either destroyed by one of them or "lost" when a body burned out "under him" when he couldn't reach another to attack it...or for some other reason or cause, that PERHAPS has him lurking to this day, awaiting a chance to rise again...

So saith Ed, paraphrased by me.
love,
THO

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Portuguese D. Ace
Seeker

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2016 :  11:12:26  Show Profile Send Portuguese D. Ace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sleyvas, Hawkfeather, thank you both for your help.

I already had excluded Aumvor, his history doesnt fit my needs

Karsus, on the other hand, is a little too much known, in my opinion. I'd go for something more obscure.

I didnt know anything about Thayd, beside the small paragraph about the Orcgate Wars. Thank you for the info.

I totally forgot about Jhingleshod. I read about him last year when i was reading The return of the archwizards trilogy! It s an interesting character! But since he was only a brawny undead knight, where would the power given to my warlock come from? The Karsestone? (is it still in Shar's hands?)

About Labelas/Kronus/Karonis: this is a really interesting fact. but it opened up a question: can an aspect of a deity be of different/opposite alignment in comparison with the original deity?

Oh, should the info help, the warlock is a male drow, currently in service of Bregan D'Aerthe. Since their expansion in Luskan, the rumors about strange things in the near Icewind Dale begin to worry the mercenaries. They will send the warlock as a scout.
Oh boy, how happy will be Jarlaxle when he hears about echoes of Crenshinibon's power!

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2016 :  15:46:42  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are a few off the top of my head.

1. Qysar Shoon VII.
2. The Dodkong.
3. A dracolich.
4. Szass Tam.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2016 :  15:51:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Jhingleshod idea, I'd personally have the Jhingleshod "warlock" with the undying Patron be to Karsus. I would have it be that when Wulgreth of Ascalhorn enacts the ritual that ties him to the Karsestone, it awakened a link between Wulgreth and Jhingleshod both to the vestige of Karsus. I'd have Jhingleshod be a living construct who was a paladin of Torm with Oath of the Ancients, and then picking up levels of warlock (with Patron Karsus and pact of the blade). If you want him to be a darker, you could state that the Karsestone falling into Shar's hands has changed him, give him the Oathbreaker oath from the DMG and have him turn to Karsus as his deity & Patron (which a paladin of Torm god of devotion becoming an oathbreaker could be interesting). In this scenario, Shar would probably be acting as the conduit for divine magic, but Jhingleshod doesn't need to know that. Alternatively, you could scrap the paladin part and just stick with fighter as he's described in FR5 Savage Frontier and tack on the warlock levels (this actually might be better, as it allows you to build his fighter features with feats).

As to how to use him... Wulgreth wants to destroy Karsus, but Jhingleshod wants to destroy Wulgreth (so that ironically he can die)... and in order to do so the Karsestone must be destroyed. So, perhaps Jhingleshod wants to find and "destroy" the Karsestone by somehow freeing Karsus from the place where Vestiges are. There's a lot of ways you could spin this. For instance, Shar may want this as well, as the shadow weave may actually have something to do with what Karsus did. She might also want it to occur because it will bring back a being who may suddenly cause some kind of "divine rules breaking" conflict with a returned Mystra as well.

If you want to go more to the light side, It may also be that Mystra and her chosen actually want Karsus returned, so that his essence can be "restored to the weave" rather than shunted to the place where Vestiges go. In such a case, Karsus may be reaching out through the PC to find the Karsestone and then enact a special ritual that he must find (this would really work well if the PC has pact of the tome). Its noted in the return of the archwizards trilogy that the Karsestone is somehow tied as a source of the shadow weave from 3rd edition, so perhaps somehow freeing him returns the magic to Mystra (Mystryl?). It is noted that the shadow weave went away after the spellplague.... might the Karsestone have been transferred to Abeir? Did it return? There's a whole lot of wiggle room you could do with this.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2016 :  18:08:08  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the PC is a drow, I think the best Undying patron would be Kiaransalee. Many powerfull beings described as gods in past editions are now described as patrons for warlocks (Ghanaudaur for example)
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2016 :  19:34:24  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkfeather

If the PC is a drow, I think the best Undying patron would be Kiaransalee. Many powerfull beings described as gods in past editions are now described as patrons for warlocks (Ghanaudaur for example)

For a drow, Kiaransalee is a perfect Undying patron. As a mortal, she became a lich, then she ascended to godhood (with undeath among her spheres of influence), then died and came back. She's just perfect.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2016 :  23:41:17  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has to be a former mortal turned immortal, so that limits possible choices, but I have 1 really cool idea.

Other Untheric deities returned to Faerun, not all in Unther which is under Gilgeam control.

I'm thinking the Inanna the Lawful Evil Goddess of Love and War returned to Farun in a Chosen's body, but far from Gilgeam and Unther where she can plot his down fall and how to take Unther from him.

This would be a great choice for a charming, seducive, incredibly beautiful but, very dark, and dangerous patron who perverts

love for dark purposes.

I'd suggest if your player goes with her, he conciders a blade pact, although any pact type works.

If Chain Pact I suggest an Imp as she's lawful evil in Faerun.

Edited by - Gyor on 04 Aug 2016 23:42:42
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2016 :  13:43:46  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Undying Patrons eh? Well I just learned about the netherese liches that had been trapped inside the Hosttower of the Arcane by Laeral the witchqueen of Stornanter in a post by Krash. It mentions only three of the eight names of the members of the Grand Cabal: Eleggar "the Bound", Kellin Daerthovil and Yarragas of Mornil. Some of the Cabal members attained lichdom inside the pocket plane to survive till the present day, while one failed spectacularly and became an insane demilich-like being.

These might be of use, even if the PC doesn't chose them as patrons, as its possible their dimensional pocket prison is faltering or has already failed by the spellplague and the ruination of the Hosttower...

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000