Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Moonblades

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zimeros Posted - 17 Oct 2004 : 21:18:14
Please, someone tell me all you know about elven moonblades, I know queen Amlaruil, of Evermeet has one, nothing more...
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TBeholder Posted - 09 Aug 2016 : 23:02:07
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

In other words, a child to a moon-elf father, and a sun-elf mother will either be a moon-elf or a sun-elf, not a half-half-elf.

While also a legitimate member of the clan. Yup.
The thing is, there are a lot of fringe cases, and anomalous states (like moonblade is already bound to someone who normally could not undergo such binding).
Did anyone say ALL those were foreseen and resolved in-universe by the creators of the enchantment in question?
But if we do not assume that High Mages trying to cheat their way out of a problem did it perfectly (rather than finding an ingenious way to screw up on amazing scale, like they did so many times) - the correct questions are not "what exactly is the Ideal Solution to this or that particular case" and "why such and such isn't it", but simply "how the enchantment-as-implemented will react to a particular input combination".
Diffan Posted - 09 Aug 2016 : 10:37:28
So I know the Baldur's Gate video games aren't canon but the books are. With that said, Xan was an actual character who unfortunately died (quite miserably I might add) in the novel. The game mentions him wielding a Moonblade but the book doesn't say one way or another.

So here's my question: Would it be plausible that he was wielding a Moonblade in the book (he did wield a longsword) and that his next of kin is the rightful owner to that weapon? Also the stats in BG state that he got a +1 to AC and resistance to fire in addition to being a +3 weapon. If I were to stat it out, what else should I put into the blade? I'm aware of the rules in the Magic of Faerûn supplement on creating them but I'd like some additional ideas.
warlockco Posted - 18 Jan 2006 : 10:48:23
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dungeon Moron

Thanks for the replies everyone, but my question still remains unanswered.
How is it possible if no Elf can wield Two moonblades, that Lamruil carries one blade and is the bladeheir to Arylin's?
What will happen when Arylin comes to die and her sword is brought to him?

Being bladeheir doesn't mean anything, in this case. As long as he doesn't attempt to draw the blade -- which is a choice -- nothing will happen. He could then pass the blade on to his heirs.

Yep.

Also Lamruil isn't carrying a Moonblade, the Kingblade is still in the hands of his mother.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Jan 2006 : 21:13:12
quote:

How is it possible if no Elf can wield Two moonblades, that Lamruil carries one blade and is the bladeheir to Arylin's?

Being bladeheir doesn't mean anything, in this case. As long as he doesn't attempt to draw the blade -- which is a choice -- nothing will happen. He could then pass the blade on to his heirs.
Kajehase Posted - 17 Jan 2006 : 20:58:47
Furthermore, as for Arilyn wielding a moonblade, Elaine said this a while back:

quote:
originally posted by Elaine Cunningham on the "Ask Elaine Cunningham" thread

I see your point, of course, but there are reasons why Arilyn, a half elf of moon elf heritage, inherited a moonblade.

Throughout the Songs & Swords books, it is made very clear that Arilyn's sword is seriously FUBAR. It was dismantled after Princess Amnestria's union with a human resulted in two things: the creation of the elfgate, with disastrous results, and the conception of a half-elf child. In fact, Arilyn's conception and the creation of a new power for the moonblade were simultaneous events, and Queen Amlaruil never ceased to hold this against Arilyn. After King Zaor's assassination, a bitterly grieving Amlaruil decreed that the moonstone--a gem that acts as a conduit for magic--be removed from the sword's hilt and put into the keeping of Bran Skorlsun, Amnestria's human lover. The primary purpose of this was to weaken the gate between the mainland and Evermeet enough that it could be obscured and protected, but it was also a punishment--it effectively kept Bran away from Amnestria, who still carried the moonblade.

But tampering with an artifact is never a good idea--you can never been completely sure what the result will be. One of the unforseen results was the strengthening of the link between the sword and the child: Arilyn was linked with the moonblade long before she claimed it. Had the sword been whole, she could not have done so. This is never overtly stated, but the hints are there throughout the Songs & Swords books.

The misbehaving moonblade was a central plot point of ELFSHADOW, so it should come as no surprise that the sword was not exactly functioning as designed. The fact that Kymil Nimesin could further mess with the sword's magic makes it plain that its powers were seriously awry. Also, Arilyn relates to Danilo an incident from her youth, when she raised the moonblade against a young gold elf tormenter. The sword turned on her, which she took to be evidence that the moonblade would not allow itself to be raised against an innocent person. That gold elf's subsequent actions, however, made it plain that he was not an innocent. (Big hint to readers, there.) The moonblade was restored at the end of ELFSONG, and when we next see Arilyn, in SILVER SHADOWS, she temporarily returns the moonblade to a previous wielder. After that, (in the four-year interim between that book and the events of DREAM SPHERES) we are told that the sword became increasingly tempermental. Toward the end of DS, the sword turns on Arilyn and she was nearly fried. (Sound familiar?) She receives healing, but she's unable to wield the moonblade again during the final events of that story. It is assumed that the sword is defective--it is, after all, a tampered-with artifact--but it's also possible that the converse is true: the sword is slowly returning to its original state, and is functioning as it was designed to. What that means for Arilyn is a topic for another story, should such come about.

Now, stepping away from the overall series arc for a moment to consider the moonblade's role in ELFSHADOW. Giving Arilyn a moonblade was meant to emphasize and amplify the usual half-elf's dilemna of being neither fish nor fowl. Arilyn was daughter of moon elf royalty, the only part-blooded elf ever to wield a moonblade, yet most elves wouldn't give her the time of day. She is in a unique position, and that molded her into an extremely solitary person.

This point is undercut--nay, nearly obliterated--if every good-aligned gold elf, forest elf, drow, or half orc paladin of Sune with a heart of gold and tusks to match* is able to carry a moonblade.

Moonblades have become so popular and so common I half expect to see hand-written signs in the taverns of Waterdeep's Dock Ward to the effect of, "Good fish-scaling knife wanted. Will trade for moonblade."

But, it is what it is. Though the expansion of moonblades in game products does undercut the purpose of the moonblades as I originally envisioned them, I am keenly aware that it would be churlish to complain overmuch that ANY addition to FR lore that I've been priviledged to make has become "too popular." I'm just happy people want to read these stories, and incorporate some aspects of them into their home campaigns.

*Elaith's musings, taking from "Games of Chance," DRAGON #335

Dungeon Moron Posted - 17 Jan 2006 : 20:58:18
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
We have no idea, the best answer appears to be one will stay dorment, more likely the new sword. As there does appear to be soul barrowing, the empowered sword would most likely stay empowered. Other option of course appears to be first sword goes dormant and second sword might awaken or might not.

There are other options as well just appear unlikely based on presented lore.
Perhaps the two blades will collect and share the soul and bot be empowered.
Perhaps the blade will never be delivered to Lamruil (he might even die first for some reason).

Thanks, mayhaps this question can be answered by Elaine, if this does not spoil any future stories?
Kajehase Posted - 17 Jan 2006 : 20:56:25
Well, the point is that all elf-children breed true, so there are no half-sun/half-moon elves. In other words, a child to a moon-elf father, and a sun-elf mother will either be a moon-elf or a sun-elf, not a half-half-elf.

(Say half-half-elf out loud five times without laughing)
Kentinal Posted - 17 Jan 2006 : 20:42:13
quote:
Originally posted by Mask

Ehm, if I remember correctly (although I havenīt read Thornhold and Dreamspheres, so please donīt reply if this is explained in these two books) Elaith is a Moon Elf, right? Or did I miss something? So how can his daughter be a Sun Elf??? Even if she has a Sun Elf mother, wouldnīt she be at least half Moon Elf? I mean, so is Arilyn and she wields a Moonblade.

EC clearly says he is a moon/Silver elf http://www.elainecunningham.com/elaith_craulnober.htm so indeed his daughter would have moon elf blood.
Kentinal Posted - 17 Jan 2006 : 20:28:01
quote:

We have no idea, the best answer appears to be one will stay dorment, more likely the new sword. As there does appear to be soul barrowing, the empowered sword would most likely stay empowered. Other option of course appears to be first sword goes dormant and second sword might awaken or might not.

There are other options as well just appear unlikely based on presented lore.
Perhaps the two blades will collect and share the soul and bot be empowered.
Perhaps the blade will never be delivered to Lamruil (he might even die first for some reason).
Mask Posted - 17 Jan 2006 : 20:15:30
Ehm, if I remember correctly (although I havenīt read Thornhold and Dreamspheres, so please donīt reply if this is explained in these two books) Elaith is a Moon Elf, right? Or did I miss something? So how can his daughter be a Sun Elf??? Even if she has a Sun Elf mother, wouldnīt she be at least half Moon Elf? I mean, so is Arilyn and she wields a Moonblade.
Dungeon Moron Posted - 17 Jan 2006 : 20:13:53
Kajehase Posted - 17 Jan 2006 : 19:06:31
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:
"Recently, Elaith was struck by a poisoned blade while recovering an elven artifact from the Knights of the Shield. As he lay dying, his thoughts turned to his infant daughter Azariah and what would happen to her after he died. This unselfish turn of thought caused his moonblade's power to awaken, healing him. He stores the moonblade in a safe place until his daughter is ready to claim it, and while he is still ruthless and evil, he avoids situations in which he might get killed, preferring to hire adventurers to do his dirty work."

Too bad she is a Sun Elf and thus will die when she tries to claim the blade.
Since by Canon, every Moonblade wielder has been a Moon Elf.

There is an exception to everything.

Yeah, this one is called Arilyn Moonblade
Kentinal Posted - 17 Jan 2006 : 17:55:29
Hmm, it was considered very dangerious for a Gold to try the sword, not forbiden, all Gold that tried when first offered died. Thee is no mention of Green elves directly, however they were summoned to the Elven Court as well. Perhaps even a Sea Elf or more attended, though less likely, and recieved a blade. The Sea Elves were not involved in the Crown Wars that I recall and tend to be more concerned about the seas rather then land matters.

For Gold and Black the moonblades are considered the most dangerious to take up. It might be posible that a good Black or Gold has a moonblade after all these years, clearly it seems meet that some Green recieved them from the Elven Court as the Green and the Silver allied together against the Black and then the Gold.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Jan 2006 : 17:16:07
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

quote:
"Recently, Elaith was struck by a poisoned blade while recovering an elven artifact from the Knights of the Shield. As he lay dying, his thoughts turned to his infant daughter Azariah and what would happen to her after he died. This unselfish turn of thought caused his moonblade's power to awaken, healing him. He stores the moonblade in a safe place until his daughter is ready to claim it, and while he is still ruthless and evil, he avoids situations in which he might get killed, preferring to hire adventurers to do his dirty work."

Yeah, but the blades were designed for Moon elves -- hence the name. Only by modifying the blade's magic through an outside source would a gold elf be able to claim a moonblade.
khorne Posted - 17 Jan 2006 : 15:20:51
quote:

quote:

warlockco Posted - 16 Jan 2006 : 06:35:13
quote:

Kentinal Posted - 16 Jan 2006 : 04:46:20
"Moonblades
These weapons were created by the smiths of ancient Myth Drannor. They are used in the long process of selecting a ruler for the isle of Evermeet (as described in the novel Elfsong" page 70
nothing here says what type of sword it has to be.

Nor is there an artifact listing for the blades. This of course can have been changed by retcon, such as what might be in Silver Shadows though some authors barely look at or consider the rules and as we know editors seem to miss things as well.

http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Cormanthyr/Moonblades.htm does sort of appear to back up current claims.

"The blade draws on the inherent magic of the elven owner, that part of their being that is a part of the Weave. It is this that becomes part of the blade – forming a new rune magically engraved in the metal of the blade and adding a new ability to the blade. The corollary of this is that when an owner of a moonblade dies they are not allowed to travel to Arvandor, but their essence remains a part of the blade. When the blade finally dies and becomes dormant, the spirits of the elves held within the blade are at last free to travel to Arvandor." Not quite soul stealing, but close I would say.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fr/20010503d

The Sage Posted - 16 Jan 2006 : 04:45:19
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

As a Moonblade keeps absorbs a wielders soul when they die (At least until the sword goes dorment) Id say no to wielding 2 Moonblades as you cant split a soul between 2 swords

Sure of that? It was after all possible to split one bit of a soul into several Alias-vessels.

Yeah, but that wasn't a case of something actively laying claim to the entire soul. Weilding a moonblade means your dedicating your entire soul to serve elfkind -- so now that I think about it, a second moonblade would see that, and not allow an existing moonfighter to weild itself.

I would consider it an unlikely occurence as well... in fact, probably impossible.

In Elaine's own words -

"The moonblades present a test not only of strength and courage, but also of resourcefulness and creative problem solving. Over time, a pattern emerges, and a sword acquires a skill set that is almost akin to a personality."

It takes considerable mental discipline for any elf among the hereditary deemed by their blade to be able to wield a moonblade. It is a test of the elf's being and essence. It forms a bond on such an intimate level -- between blade and wielder.

To add another blade into such a relationship actively works to devalue the special nature the moonblades have among the elves of Evermeet.

More from Elaine -

"In other words, the sword and the wielder have to be well matched."

A crucial point to consider again.
warlockco Posted - 16 Jan 2006 : 02:03:03
quote:

quote:

Yes it is one of the three greatest treasures, however a moonblade itself would be considered a great treasure, perhaps the most powerful of them in the top three, perhaps not. I do not know for sure, I do know Amlaruil owns a moonblade, I know she owns Tahlshara (which might be greater then a moonblade).

Just because it's a great treasure, it doesn't put it on the same level as a moonblade. These are things that are crafted for the sole purpose of seeing who is fit to rule the elves -- everything they can do is about working for elven interests. Tahlshara may be a +27 sword of OMG! It's nifty!, but that doesn't mean it has anything in common with moonblades -- particularly the grabbing its weilder's soul to power itself.

Exactly.

Moonblades are Minor Artifacts, even the blade that determines the ruler of Evermeet.

While Tahlshara is a Major Artifact.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Jan 2006 : 02:01:10
quote:

Yes it is one of the three greatest treasures, however a moonblade itself would be considered a great treasure, perhaps the most powerful of them in the top three, perhaps not. I do not know for sure, I do know Amlaruil owns a moonblade, I know she owns Tahlshara (which might be greater then a moonblade).

Just because it's a great treasure, it doesn't put it on the same level as a moonblade. These are things that are crafted for the sole purpose of seeing who is fit to rule the elves -- everything they can do is about working for elven interests. Tahlshara may be a +27 sword of OMG! It's nifty!, but that doesn't mean it has anything in common with moonblades -- particularly the grabbing its weilder's soul to power itself.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Jan 2006 : 01:58:02
quote:

quote:

As a Moonblade keeps absorbs a wielders soul when they die (At least until the sword goes dorment) Id say no to wielding 2 Moonblades as you cant split a soul between 2 swords

Sure of that? It was after all possible to split one bit of a soul into several Alias-vessels.

Yeah, but that wasn't a case of something actively laying claim to the entire soul. Weilding a moonblade means your dedicating your entire soul to serve elfkind -- so now that I think about it, a second moonblade would see that, and not allow an existing moonfighter to weild itself.
warlockco Posted - 16 Jan 2006 : 01:56:13
quote:

quote:

Tahlshara is not a Moonblade.
It is one of the three Great Treasures of Evermeet.

The Chalice of Labelas and the Crown of the Sun are the other two.

All Moonblades are Longswords.
Tahlshara is a Greatsword. One that is a Divine Artifact of the Seldarine, but it is no Moonblade.
Amlaruil does not own Tahlshara, she is its keeper.

Also so far none of the Moonblades have been given a proper name in canon thus far.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Jan 2006 : 01:55:39
quote:

A moonblade can be passed on when one is still living, or at least loaned in 2nd Edition, otherwise how could Queen's moonblade be used by daughter. Nothing in_Elves of Evermeet_ Official Game Accessory" indicates soul consumption, the Tree of Life does that. This of course could have been changed.

It was in the novel Silver Shadows. If a living moonfighter gives up their moonblade, the power they invested in the sword is lost, because the blade no longer holds their soul.
Kentinal Posted - 16 Jan 2006 : 01:53:27
quote:

Kajehase Posted - 16 Jan 2006 : 01:47:47
quote:

Kentinal Posted - 16 Jan 2006 : 01:46:58
A moonblade can be passed on when one is still living, or at least loaned in 2nd Edition, otherwise how could Queen's moonblade be used by daughter. Nothing in_Elves of Evermeet_ Official Game Accessory" indicates soul consumption, the Tree of Life does that. This of course could have been changed.

As for a person weilding a moonblade seeking another (I would need to read _Evermeet: Island of Elves_ to be sure) it would strike me as unlikely one would seek another personal moonblade. However I can see it as a quest that would be set for up and coming members, that indeed a weilder of one moonblade would indeed seek to aquire another for the Elven nation. As the blades appear to be blood linked the odds are very low that there still exist two moonblades that will recognise clan blood of their clan residing in one person.

I however an not the expert on this topic, I just considered very unlikely that any one elf would every be in a position to own two moonblades as a personal weapon. The Queen of Evermeet can claim royal ownership of every moonblade on the Island as treasures of the realm. She might own two moonblades herself, though that was not clear. Also moonblade daughter used might have been lost. Source books provide less details at time then one would perfer,
warlockco Posted - 16 Jan 2006 : 01:40:06
quote:

First

Amlaruil Moonflower owns the blade named Tahlshara one of the more powerful ones, in fact being +8 is more powerful then any moonblade can become. Also "Her Daughter, Arilyn, particpated in the recent Elfshadow incident - weilding her mother's moonblade" (just in case Tahlshara is not a moonblade of enhanced power, though I lean toward theory that Tahlshara is a moonblade divinely enhanced above the rules.)

Dargoth Posted - 16 Jan 2006 : 01:13:01
Arivia Posted - 16 Jan 2006 : 01:06:04
quote:

First

Amlaruil Moonflower owns the blade named Tahlshara one of the more powerful ones, in fact being +8 is more powerful then any moonblade can become. Also "Her Daughter, Arilyn, particpated in the recent Elfshadow incident - weilding her mother's moonblade" (just in case Tahlshara is not a moonblade of enhanced power, though I lean toward theory that Tahlshara is a moonblade divinely enhanced above the rules.)

"A moonblade may be passed from one owner to another, usually by generation." Which reduces the chance of any one person owning two of them. There of course is the problem of even inheriting two moonblades is that each moonblade gets to decide if it will accept the new owner. Moonblades are reported to have gone dormant for hunreds of years, others are reported to have killed the elf that touched one (Gold and Drow most at risk for this).

A moonblade might have been made for each clan, I suspect of note except of course Gold and Drow. When first presented many deaths occured and many moonblades lost their magic as well.

I do not see anything that prevents a person owning two or more moonblades. There appears to no adverse effect of owning two or more either. To even recieve one moonblade is odds off, to recieve two of them that are still empowered extremely unlikely

Isn't there some line about the acquiring of moonblades in Evermeet: Island of Elves that says that only the noble houses who had members *not* currently wielding moonblades were sent to collect one in some ritual?(the-blast-aplenty-elves one, sorry for the lack of details) That would certainly suggest 2+ moonblades is a no-no.
Kentinal Posted - 15 Jan 2006 : 23:59:30
First

"A moonblade may be passed from one owner to another, usually by generation." Which reduces the chance of any one person owning two of them. There of course is the problem of even inheriting two moonblades is that each moonblade gets to decide if it will accept the new owner. Moonblades are reported to have gone dormant for hunreds of years, others are reported to have killed the elf that touched one (Gold and Drow most at risk for this).

A moonblade might have been made for each clan, I suspect of note except of course Gold and Drow. When first presented many deaths occured and many moonblades lost their magic as well.

I do not see anything that prevents a person owning two or more moonblades. There appears to no adverse effect of owning two or more either. To even recieve one moonblade is odds off, to recieve two of them that are still empowered extremely unlikely

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000