Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 City of Splendors: A Novel of Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2005 :  01:40:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I could live with 30-35 dollars thats about the same price as I'd pay for a regular Non WOTC Hardcover at a book store. 50 (and now 60) bucks is absurd

If it makes you feel any better, it's a HUGE book! I don't have it yet but I did see it in the store but was unable to purchase it at the time. It's very thick, thicker than Evermeet:Island of Elves, I believe. Can anyone confirm the page count?

I'm very excited about this book. For those who have read it\are reading it, what are your views so far?

476 pages. I got to 175 last night because it's a good tale. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2005 :  02:01:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I could live with 30-35 dollars thats about the same price as I'd pay for a regular Non WOTC Hardcover at a book store. 50 (and now 60) bucks is absurd

I've thankfully never paid $50 to $60 for an FR hardcover (which made the successive purchases of the six WotSQ books that much easier on the ol' coin purse ). But if I didn't have access to the discount that I do, I'd have some difficultly justifying a purchase of a book at this price even considering my love for the Realms.

This is especially more so now, given the birth of little Narna.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2005 :  02:12:38  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I've thankfully never paid $50 to $60 for an FR hardcover (which made the successive purchases of the six WotSQ books that much easier on the ol' coin purse ). But if I didn't have access to the discount that I do, I'd have some difficultly justifying a purchase of a book at this price even considering my love for the Realms.

This is especially more so now, given the birth of little Narna.

No you'd just do what I do and buy all your realmslore from Amazon

Around the 5 years ago I did a check of my old Amazon invoices to see much money Id spent at the store it worked out at around 2000 US Dollars Im willing to bet that Ive spent at least that or more since then.

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2005 :  03:08:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just pay it. Usually, I'm lucky to see the thing in my gaming store so I snap it up and shell out the $. For a hardcover from Ed AND Elaine, I don't think twice.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  06:28:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good book Ed and Elaine. :) Congrats.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  07:17:44  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Since we've been ignoring you. :) Yes, mine does have a large top margin.

Thanks. :)

Glad it's not just me.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  07:49:21  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Care to elaborate, Kuje?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  08:14:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Well met

Care to elaborate, Kuje?

No. :) Shrug, hard to elaborate. It was a good tale of Waterdeep. It has love, action, death, Elaith, and others.

One question that I don't think got answered though was what happened to the father of the two daughters? :) They never seemed to find him......

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  13:25:36  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
One question that I don't think got answered though was what happened to the father of the two daughters? :) They never seemed to find him......

Oh, he's around. People like that tend to live into extreme old age, and get more cantankerous with each passing year.

Glad you enjoyed the book. It IS a bit hard to sum up in 50 or fewer words, isn't it? I've been doing a bunch of radio interviews, and I find that when I'm asked, "Tell us about the book," I spend more time talking about the setting than the actual plot of the story. For one thing, most hosts (and I would assume, most listeners) aren't familiar with the Forgotten Realms, for another, the single most important "character" in this book is probably the city itself.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 25 Aug 2005 13:30:04
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  13:39:13  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

Glad it's not just me.

I was wondering about that, myself. To my eye, it would have looked better to have the title and author info at the TOP of the page. Another puzzlement was the blank pages between chapters--prime storytelling real estate going to waste. Ed had to cut nearly 14,000 words, and he could have squeezed quite a few of them onto those blank pages.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  14:53:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Ed had to cut nearly 14,000 words, and he could have squeezed quite a few of them onto those blank pages.
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that .

Ed, could you possibly tell us which sections of your writing for CoS were cut?

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  16:17:05  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ed had to cut nearly 14,000 words, and he could have squeezed quite a few of them onto those blank pages.
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that .

Ed, could you possibly tell us which sections of your writing for CoS were cut?

It wasn't a matter of specifically cutting "Ed's sections;" Ed did the final pass, trimming bits and pieces here and there throughout the book--dialogue tightened up, description pared down or omitted, and so on. A few scenes were omitted entirely, such as short "reaction scenes" meant to give voice to Waterdhavians from various walks of life, and the folk story mentioned in chapter one (the first story in DEEP WATERS, the book of hero tales Taeros was writing for young King Azoun) was originally included but removed in the final cut.

This was NOT a matter of over-writing. The book was contracted at 140-150,000 words, and our first draft went in at the high side of that range. At the revision stage, the editor said we could go as high as 160,000, so we did: the revised ms was about 159,000 words. After the revision went in, the editor wanted one more pass to make the book sound more consistant stylistically--he could still tell who wrote which sections--and cut about 14,000 words. That task fell to Ed. The changes to word count added a LOT more work to the process, but I think it came out okay in the end.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  17:32:29  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh, he's around. People like that tend to live into extreme old age, and get more cantankerous with each passing year.

Glad you enjoyed the book. It IS a bit hard to sum up in 50 or fewer words, isn't it? I've been doing a bunch of radio interviews, and I find that when I'm asked, "Tell us about the book," I spend more time talking about the setting than the actual plot of the story. For one thing, most hosts (and I would assume, most listeners) aren't familiar with the Forgotten Realms, for another, the single most important "character" in this book is probably the city itself.

Ah, so he's not dead then, that's all I wanted to know.

And yeah it's hard to sum up that novel in a few words because there was so much going on within it. :)

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  17:24:45  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm reading it and it's the first time I read something on the "warrens" that "ward" with "small folks". Is it the first reference on it? Or was it mentioned in another novel but not in any Fr product?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  17:52:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

I'm reading it and it's the first time I read something on the "warrens" that "ward" with "small folks". Is it the first reference on it? Or was it mentioned in another novel but not in any Fr product?

Thanks.

Page 104 of City of Splendors: Waterdeep. It's in the Dock Ward.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  23:37:11  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well met

Care to elaborate, Kuje?

No. :) Shrug, hard to elaborate. It was a good tale of Waterdeep. It has love, action, death, Elaith, and others.

Aye, you better not give away any spoilers here, Master Kuje, unless ye wish to fact the wrath of an old scribe (with a specialization in quill pen)

Seriously, as soon as this book arrives at my local store, I may have to think twice about paying my rent

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  23:42:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Aye, you better not give away any spoilers here, Master Kuje, unless ye wish to fact the wrath of an old scribe (with a specialization in quill pen)

Seriously, as soon as this book arrives at my local store, I may have to think twice about paying my rent

I tried not to, which is why I didn't ask to many pointed questions yet and the 2 I did ask really don't spoil anything. :)

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  23:43:28  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ok, a little bit of lore I jumped over while reading this marvelous book, but.. it's a bit thin, it seems to me that it was put there because the author knew that this "secret" ward would get attention in the upcoming novel ;) No ?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  03:19:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

quote:

Ok, a little bit of lore I jumped over while reading this marvelous book, but.. it's a bit thin, it seems to me that it was put there because the author knew that this "secret" ward would get attention in the upcoming novel ;) No ?

Maybe, maybe not. The sourcebook was a bit thin on a lot of areas. Certainly I can say I don't recall hearing of this area before; but there's always the possibility that it's been part of Ed's Realms for a while now and only recently found its way into print.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  03:46:54  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Maybe, maybe not. The sourcebook was a bit thin on a lot of areas.

Yeah.. like for example : Hey guys, there's a new Umberlee temple in the harbor.. the lords? They don't seem to bother.. and that's all about it

quote:
... but there's always the possibility that it's been part of Ed's Realms for a while now and only recently found its way into print.

Yeah, that sounds right, we'll have to try to get more about it in his thread

Edited by - Skeptic on 28 Aug 2005 03:47:38
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  14:46:30  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

Glad it's not just me.

I was wondering about that, myself. To my eye, it would have looked better to have the title and author info at the TOP of the page. Another puzzlement was the blank pages between chapters--prime storytelling real estate going to waste. Ed had to cut nearly 14,000 words, and he could have squeezed quite a few of them onto those blank pages.

*grumbles*

14,000 words and all this blank space. It's like whoever laid out the Waterdeep novel... wait I'm sorry, City of Splendors, it's not the Waterdeep novel, was spacing the book to be put in one of the TSR sized hardcovers.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2005 :  14:26:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've got my copy!

Picked it up just after work this afternoon. So I've got my reading set for the next few days.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2005 :  17:23:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I've got my copy!

Picked it up just after work this afternoon. So I've got my reading set for the next few days.

I just got mine on Thursday or Friday, and I've been busy, so I've hardly had any time to read it.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  03:06:48  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, I must live in a daft area... just to be sure it isn't user error, is the book hard or soft back?

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  03:15:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm about one hundred pages in now. And let me just say that this novel is everything I've come to expect from Ed and Elaine... and MORE! There's the little things as well, that have made this book a pleasure to read so far.

Certain phrases... and words indicative of specific Realms elements. They're so integrated into the story that you feel apart of the action that is taking place on the page. I love the Realmslore tidbits dropped here and there, and Waterdeep provides the perfect backdrop for the plot unraveling so far. You really get the felling that this is such a "rich" city (culturally), with plenty of history. It almost makes me feel like I am learning about Waterdeep for the first time... all over again!

Ed and Elaine weave an incredible tale. I can't wait to see what else is to come .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  03:17:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

So, I must live in a daft area... just to be sure it isn't user error, is the book hard or soft back?

C-Fb

'Tis a hardback novel .

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  20:06:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I received my copy of The City of Splendors this morn, and would like to personally thank Elaine and Ed for the dedication to Candlekeep within the book. I was surprised at hearing of this, and to read it for myself was a very happy moment. It is indeed an honor to receive such a dedication in such a splendid and high-profile novel. Many thanks for this

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Elaine for the very kind gesture in sending a personalized tome to me, and for the kind words written within. Something I will treasure forevermore

Now, without further delay, I will allow ye all to return to thy studies...for I have some research to do and Realmslore to catch up on... regarding the City of Splendors

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  21:10:59  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My pleasure, Alaundo. I'd hoped to send a copy signed by both authors, but alas, I was not able to attend GenCon this year!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  23:09:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

I received my copy of The City of Splendors this morn, and would like to personally thank Elaine and Ed for the dedication to Candlekeep within the book. I was surprised at hearing of this, and to read it for myself was a very happy moment. It is indeed an honor to receive such a dedication in such a splendid and high-profile novel. Many thanks for this

I should like to echo this. 'Twas a grand honor to this site and its many dedicated scribes.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  17:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup! Seeing the Candlekeep name up in lights is fantastic. Makes me all the more proud to be a part of this community

I'm reading the book at the moment and am hooked!!! If anyone has yet to start the book, then just read the prologue, it's fantastic. Straight away, it's BLAM! Like that opening scene of an blockbuster movie. Further through the prologue are other varied scenes which give a variety of flavor. A great start, and I pretty much guarentee you wont be able to stop at just the prologue

SPOILERS BELOW (highlight to read)

As I said, I thought the opening scene was great! Harking back to the days from The Threat from the Sea was very nice and made it seem all the more a shocking event.
I loved also the scene with the portal travel from Candlekeep, the sudden shock and disorientation of trying to pass through with the familiar. Excellent! Felt like i was there!
Now the tavern scene really got me! I was getting angrier and angrier whilst reading as the scene unfolded. I could almost feel my hand reading down to the hilt of my sword.

Wonderful writing and a fantastic book so far. I'll post more comments soon.

Quick question for Ed and Elaine - How did you go about writing the book? Did you write specific chapters\characters individually? (I believe this is how Cormyr:A Novel was written, as I could feel the difference in Ed and Jeff's styles between present and past chapters of the book). I think I can tell a slighter difference here too, but aren't 100% sure. It must be quite difficult to co-write a book. Is there a particular method of doing so?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000