Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Your favorite Forgotten Realms Novel 2005 Poll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  21:52:38  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
We're two months into the year 2006, so I figured it has been long enough to ask this question: Which was your favourite FR-novel originally published last year.

Please keep this scroll positive if you feel like giving your motivation - that is, no author-bashing, focus on what was good about the novel(s) you liked, not what was bad about the novels you didn't like.

Like last year, the poll has one too few slots to fit all new books in it - I left out Best of the Realms Book II: The Stories of Ed Greenwood aka The Best of Eddie, since several of those short stories (but far from all), had been published previously in various Realms of...-anthologies, Dragon Magazine, or on the WoTC website.

Results:
The Rite by Richard Lee Byers   [7%] 5 votes
Realms of the Dragons II by   [0%] 0 votes
Maiden of Pain by Kameron Franklin   [3%] 2 votes
Farthest Reach by Richard Baker   [21%] 15 votes
The Emerald Scepter by Thomas M Reid   [4%] 3 votes
The City of Splendours: A Waterdeep Novel by Elaine Cunningham and Ed Greenwood   [21%] 15 votes
Master of Chains by Jess Lebow   [3%] 2 votes
Queen of the Depths by Richard Lee Byers   [3%] 2 votes
Promise of the Witch King by R A Salvatore   [7%] 5 votes
Midnight''''s Mask by Paul S Kemp   [21%] 15 votes
Whisper of Waves by Phil Athans   [0%] 0 votes
Ghostwalker by Eric Scott de Bie   [12%] 9 votes

Poll Status: Open  »»   Total Votes: 73 counted  »»   Last Vote: 27 Nov 2015 11:54:09 

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

SheriffJoe
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  22:28:18  Show Profile  Visit SheriffJoe's Homepage Send SheriffJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. So many great books. Can I vote for more than one? Of course not...but still...I wish I could.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  23:03:49  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SheriffJoe

Wow. So many great books. Can I vote for more than one? Of course not...but still...I wish I could.

Well met

Indeed, this is an extremely difficult choice. IMHO, last year was one of the most outstanding years for Forgotten Realms novels. So many stood out and will stick in my mind forevermore.

Also with what we're seeing this year, and with some fantastic trilogies seeing their third and final novel being released, it looks like we're set for another great year

Oh, sorry, yes, I was supposed to choose one of the above, was I? hmmmmmmm ::tinkers with code to allow him to select the lot::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  01:25:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no question for me... Ed and Elaine's grand work -- City of Splendors -- takes the gold piece. A fabulous work by two masters of Realmslore.

That's not to say that none of the other works were any good, in fact they all had particular individuals charms that made them stand out in their own way -- Paul's Midnight Mask especially so. But CoS was the real hoot!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Mar 2006 01:30:56
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  01:36:08  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - I look forward to reading all of these fine books!

I already voted. However - it is slightly slanted because I have yet to read all of the books listed!

So - its possible that I could change my mind - but I went with the best of the ones I have read!

As for CoS - are there any books that I should read before that one - or is it fairly stand-alone?

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  01:41:37  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CoS is not fairly stand-alone, it's completely stand-alone.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  01:49:32  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - from what I remember reading - there are at least some passing references to the Cormyr series - so I was glad to have read those already when discussion somewhere turned to that!

I guess thats the sort of thing I was looking for - smaller references that would cause minor issue with not having read the other material first.

Thanks though - can't wait for the paperback!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  02:21:32  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there all great, it is the realms after all I voted for midnights mask though.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  05:11:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the end it was a toss up between "Farthest Reach" and "Midnight's Mask", and I went for the former. That's not a negative reflection on MM it's just that I'm a boring, fantasy reader who likes his good guys squeaky clean. This anti-hero stuff isn't for me! That said, I can't wait for Paul's next trilogy. I hope that it will mean goodbye to Shade - I can only hope.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 01 Mar 2006 05:11:38
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  12:18:10  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...so many books but pity that I had not even managed to get them yet. Well, the Rite was dynamic to my tastes so I voted for it. I enjoyed the way Richard Lee Byers portrayed the metal and the chromatic wyrms, especially the chromatic wryms as well as the way he wrote the novel. I liked it.
Elaine's and Ed's work on CoS was undoubtedly excellent and follow it up to my first choice. Midnight's Mask was good, nicely written and the third best novel I had ever read.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Sir Vengeance
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  12:54:28  Show Profile  Visit Sir Vengeance's Homepage Send Sir Vengeance a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rank Richard Baker's Farthest Reach as the top novel in my list. I enjoyed the descriptions of the fights, wars and plotting in the novel, drags me to read further and further.
Seconding it up would be CoS and Midnight's Mask in my list, both occupy equal attention from me so that's why both in the rank 2 in my list. The CoS is a must read to those who had not read it, I truly enjoyed this marvel.
For Midnight's Mask, one word to describe it: fantastic. Let's hope Shade won't perish in Cale's next trilogy, for it does, another enclave of innocents will go too.

Vengeance is justified on righteous grounds, for righteous vengeance cannot be denied by anybody.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  14:36:21  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if my vote got counted as I had a database error when I tried to cast it, but Ghostwalker got my vote, just ahead of Midnight's Mask. I suppose I like somewhat ambiguous "heroes" and situations, which both of these had. Third would be The Rite, simply because I like dragons and these were good (as in bad, but well done). I might feel differently if City of Splendours was a paperback, but I'm not willing to spend the extra money on a HB copy. That's one for this year.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  15:11:33  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Ghostwalker, mostly because I loved the style and the feel of the book, which was similar to all those old books of the "Harpers"-series *nostalgic sigh*. But to be honest, every book on this poll was great and unique in its own way .

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."

Edited by - Braveheart on 01 Mar 2006 19:24:31
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  15:53:35  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This list makes me very aware of how far behind I am. I have only read three of the books on this list.

I own seven of them though.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  19:36:34  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read PotWK, CoS, the Rite and Farthest Reach which I ranked first with no hesitation.

Promise was fun, but I wanted to learn more..

CoS was really not what I expected and this monster cult never worked for me.

I like the Year of the Rogue Dragons trilogy even if I still have problems with the weird party (half-golem, artic dwarf, avariel duelist, etc.) and the "local focus". (What happen with raging dragons elsewhere?)

Edited by - Skeptic on 01 Mar 2006 20:11:29
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  20:58:19  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

..it's just that I'm a boring, fantasy reader who likes his good guys squeaky clean.

Nice avatar that u have here *g*

I vote for Pauls book *thumbs up*

Edited by - Lameth on 01 Mar 2006 20:59:29
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  11:04:35  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Midnight`s Mask all the way.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  16:47:45  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went for Farthest Reach. And not just because I've not read any of the others...

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  19:04:27  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Midnight's Mask and Farthest Reach for me.I really can't choose between the two

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  20:05:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
City of Splendors: A Novel of Waterdeep. More like a novel of splendors: splendid characters, splendid story, splendid descriptions.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  20:37:03  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this, no runaway winner like the 2003 poll's Paul S Kemp-contribution Nothing against the Erevis Cale-trilogy, but this is more exciting
(Speaking of Paul S Kemp-contributions, why does the apostrophe in Midnight's Mask multiply? Anyone?)

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

SheriffJoe
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  22:40:11  Show Profile  Visit SheriffJoe's Homepage Send SheriffJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The apostrophe is used to (I assume) denote ownership. Thus, the mask belongs to Midnight. It is Midnight's mask, an allusion to darkness and shadows putting a different face on what we normally see. Or, as I have not read the books yet, it could describe an artifact of power.

I don't think it is a plurality issue, though.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  22:53:55  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant the apostrophe in the line of the poll-post. I only wrote one, and yet I see four!!

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  23:16:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I meant the apostrophe in the line of the poll-post. I only wrote one, and yet I see four!!

Well met

This is a glitch in the code. It occurs whenever the post is edited and apostrophe's are wrapped around each other in order to contain the string of text. 'tis nothing to worry about overmuch

A very intriguing poll. Let it be said though, that this IS a very difficult choice to make, and books with fewer votes than others doesn't mean that the book is not a good book...far from it... it's a poll of a favorite book from the selection.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  04:59:13  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also have not read all of the novels listed. I was busy catching up on the early novels I had missed and as a result I missed out on reading mayn of the newer ones but they will be read in the next few months. I have only read four and a half of the novels listed actually. After I finish the house of serpents I plan on reading the last mythal and scions trilgoies but that wont be for another week or so.

I voted for Midnight's Mask though. I really like Kemp's writing style. His characters are very interesting as well as his villians. The trilogy was absolutely wonderful
Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  13:30:07  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
the poll has one too few slots to fit all new books in it - I left out Best of the Realms Book II: The Stories of Ed Greenwood aka The Best of Eddie

I just noticed, where's Viper's Kiss? My copy has a 2005 copyright date and I don't think it was out as a hardback? It's one of my favourites too.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  15:14:16  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Viper's kiss was indeed out early 2005.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  16:05:00  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah...Bugger! I plucked the titles from Wizards' product place (filtering it to be Forgotten Realms-products for 2005), obviously I missed Viper's Kiss, which is annoying since it's one of my favourites too.

Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 03 Mar 2006 16:05:13
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  13:51:29  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some in there I still need to read but from those I did this is a tough choice. I went with Promise of the Witch King to support evil heroes everywhere

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Lathander
Acolyte

Turkey
21 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  17:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Lathander's Homepage Send Chosen of Lathander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
where is elfshadow??!?!?

Lathander is beginnig of all things,everything will reborn with dawn.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  17:38:15  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeing as Elfshadow was originally released in 1991, it's not really eligible for a poll about novels released 14 years later

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000