Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Private Messaging System
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tezail
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  04:51:06  Show Profile  Visit Tezail's Homepage Send Tezail a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This site seems to be one of the few without it. Ever thought about adding it? Would be helpful to set up private matters (campaigns, questions that shouldn't be posted in threads, answers to those questions) etc.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  05:31:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I concur, a PM system would be a good thing. It could keep non-Realms stuff off the scrolls, and it would help defuse disagreements betwixt our scribes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  05:38:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I concur, a PM system would be a good thing. It could keep non-Realms stuff off the scrolls, and it would help defuse disagreements betwixt our scribes.

I love you WR...I do....I just need to send flowers more often to let you know.

However, I totally disagree with the above sentiment. IMNSHO, a PM system would be just fuel to the fire when it came to many disagreements. But, hey, if the site wishes one, that's fine as long as it's something optional that I can turn on/off.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  07:22:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hardly think a PM system here is necessary, especially now when so many people have access to other IM software. If private messages need to be sent quickly, just check the scribe's profile for any relevant IM addresses.

Of course the PM system has an advantage over the IM, in that it is self contained here at Candlekeep. However, the scribe still needs to be online in order to receive and reply to messages, which is again how most IM software works.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  08:06:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I hardly think a PM system here is necessary, especially now when so many people have access to other IM software. If private messages need to be sent quickly, just check the scribe's profile for any relevant IM addresses.

Of course the PM system has an advantage over the IM, in that it is self contained here at Candlekeep. However, the scribe still needs to be online in order to receive and reply to messages, which is again how most IM software works.

But not all of us use or want to use IM software... I know I've no interest in it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  08:37:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a valid opinion, I suppose. Still, I've seen nothing but trouble for message boards that employ some form of PM system. The previous 3 incarnations of the RoE boards is testament to that fact. Twice the server has been brought down by people abusing the PM system, and overloading the upload/download functions it permits.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  08:43:10  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's necessary a Private Message system. The great soul of this site is that everyone can know what are the rest talking about, and can share their opinions or ideas. With a PM system, the situation of "what the hell are they talking about?" will appear frequently and will transform this site in "one more roling site."

This is my opinion, of course.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000