Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 More Software
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  23:22:22  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Hi all.

I wrote most of the software on the download pages. I'm looking at writing some new utility software and am open to suggestions for what I should be doing.

I'm currently working on: a 3rd edition update to the Treasure Horde Generator, a 3rd edition NPC Party Generator, I'm almost finished an Underdark Race Name Generator (Illithid, Svirneblin, Duergar etc) and Alignment Quiz (from the Hero Builder's Guidebook).

Anyone got any suggestions for future work? What would you like to have available to you as either a DM or a Player? I'll check back here at the end of the week and see what (if anything) has been suggested.

kahonen

Edited by - Candlekeep Webmaster on 04 Sep 2002 12:01:14

Edited by - Alaundo on 26 Aug 2004 11:38:26

Candlekeep Webmaster
Webmaster

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  22:00:22  Show Profile  Visit Candlekeep Webmaster's Homepage Send Candlekeep Webmaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just incase anyone has got lost around the halls of Candlekeep, Kahonen's software downloads are located on the Wondrous Treasures page in Alaundo's Library (http://www.candlekeep.com/library/treasures.htm)

If you havent done so already then please check these utilities out, theyre very well presented and extremely useful.

Jay
Candlekeep Webmaster
Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2002 :  09:43:13  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you know if there are any more games on the production line, I would love to know about them.

Daveron: My name is Daveron, I would ask yours but I don't care to become aquainted with the dead.

BG1.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2002 :  11:59:32  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kahonen, heres what id love to see, although i guess the data input side of the program development will be very time consuming. Maybe you could draft in some help from people on this forum

How about a Realms-specific utility which takes in a campaign date (Dale-Reckoning) and gives the year name as per the Roll of Years (e.g. Year of the Unstrung Harp) and in addition (this is the time-consuming bit) show all events that occured in that year.

Now THAT would be VERY useful

Rad

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2002 :  17:56:53  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Consider it done
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2002 :  21:05:00  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you could make a better weather system, sorted by month and place.

My name is Tiax, I would ask yours but I don't care to become aquainted with the dead.

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2002 :  23:44:33  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's what I'm looking at doing at the moment.

I've just downloaded worldwide weather data for the last 15 years from the UK Weather Centre. All I've gotta do now is cobble a few software routines together to analyse it and then decide which country in the real world the countries in the Realms represent and I should be able to use the results of the analysis to produce a reasonable model.

A long term project I think (I really must get a life)
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  18:36:48  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hay there is no better way to spend your life than sitting at your desk desiging computer soft ware.

My name is Tiax, I would ask yours but I don't care to become aquainted with the dead.

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  21:11:40  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is one I can think of - earning a living playing D&D
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2002 :  12:39:54  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Year or may a D&D designer.

Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  11:35:23  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try a map genarator.

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  13:27:05  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would you like me to spend the rest of the afternoon researching faster than light space travel and getting rid of 3rd world debt

Writing these programs is part of a hobby - I write the more complex software at work
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  21:57:29  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well light space is good, but you realy don't need to worry about third world debt.

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2002 :  21:08:34  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2002 :  21:31:10  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, what have you got planed for us in fucture.

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2002 :  22:23:16  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still working on the utilities I mentioned in the first post (a 3rd edition update to the Treasure Horde Generator, a 3rd edition NPC Party Generator and an Underdark Races Name Generator).

Last week I sent Rad the Realms Timeline program he requested and I've finished and posted a screensaver based on the artwork from Monster Manual 2

The last two may be included in the next site update. The others will be completed when I finish my last OU assignment
Go to Top of Page

Candlekeep Webmaster
Webmaster

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2002 :  22:46:53  Show Profile  Visit Candlekeep Webmaster's Homepage Send Candlekeep Webmaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed they are Kahonen! We have just updated the site, see this post: http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=75

I must take this opportunity to thank Kahonen for the time and effort you have given to create not only the FR Time Utility but also the many other FR utilities which are available in the "Wondrous Treasures" section (http://www.candlekeep.com/library/treasures.htm).

Jay
Candlekeep Webmaster

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2002 :  00:19:27  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only hope other users find them as useful as I do and get as much enjoyment from using them as I do from writing them.

Keep the ideas coming in.

Ron
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2002 :  20:10:54  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should do things like the Dwarf name simulator, only for Red wizards.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2002 :  20:17:31  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kahonen has already done a Dwarven Name Generator!

I think that if you continue to go on about dwarves and red wizards on this forum, not only are you getting the backs up of other forum members but the moderators will ban you before long im sure!

Rad

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2002 :  21:13:08  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least I do support someone, unlike you, you under-developed Embrix.

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2002 :  21:25:59  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hay, well done King-Tiax. That's probably the best way I can think of to impress one of the Candlekeep Webmasters - you do know, of course, that Rad is one of the webmasters

See, I thought he was giving you the benefit of the doubt by giving a reasonable, friendly, good-egg kind of warning but obviously you didn't see it that way.

Something about a straw and a camels back spring to mind at this point.

Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2002 :  21:03:29  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's not one of the webmasters, he can't be, Wow I am in big trouble, look Kahonen you arnt serious, Ok I am seriously sorry, please forgive me master.

Go to Top of Page

Candlekeep Webmaster
Webmaster

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2002 :  21:12:11  Show Profile  Visit Candlekeep Webmaster's Homepage Send Candlekeep Webmaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Tiax, Rad certainly is a Scribe of Candlekeep. Youll have to watch who you insult in future. However your response to Kahonen brought a smile to my face so I guess you get a second chance

...and I must say im VERY shocked that you chose not to select a dwarf for your avatar picture

Jay
Candlekeep Webmaster

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2002 :  21:28:39  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have got a dwarf Advarta, but I am TRULY, VERY SORRY.

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2002 :  23:33:21  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks more like an orc to me. You stunties all look the same
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2002 :  10:28:30  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::cringes at the thought of whats to come::

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2002 :  19:48:49  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok Kano, nobody mocks a Dwarf, J\K but seriously, you can't honastly call an Ork short.

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  22:35:33  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A small one would be
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  20:32:33  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A small orc is a Goblin (sort of).

Go to Top of Page

Frey
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2003 :  11:07:28  Show Profile  Visit Frey's Homepage Send Frey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kahonen
I wrote most of the software on the download pages. I'm looking at writing some new utility software and am open to suggestions for what I should be doing.
(...)
Anyone got any suggestions for future work? What would you like to have available to you as either a DM or a Player?
Gee, Kahonen, your request might very well answer mine (if yours is still open that is).

I'm happy to've been invited to play part in Mumadar's SilverMarches-PBeM-campaign. As we speak I'm working on the creation of a PC. This will be a Forest Gnome.
As gnomes have many names, and each gnome will know dozens of other gnomes, it's appearant I'll have to come up with dozens, if not hundreds of names during the creation of my background story as well as on the fly during gameplay. I must say this sounds hard to me.
As I've seen your namegenerators for other races I was hoping to find a gnome name generator in Alaundo's Library, hopefully even a speciallized version for forest gnomes. But at this point I was a little disappointed
(in fact I was not, I didn't count on its' existance, just hoped so).

Now you see my request rise: Would you be so kind to generate a nice (Forest) Gnome Name Generator Program? I'd be very obliged (sp?) for sure!

In eager expectation,

Frey

- Imagine ... there's no imagination. -

(remember Frey is just a PC)

Edited by - Frey on 05 Jan 2003 11:09:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: