Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mundane on Earth/Serious in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2022 :  04:47:05  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Good evening, folks.

I was wondering...what are some examples of mundane issues/topics or just everyday occurrences on Earth that would be serious business in The Forgotten Realms? One example comes to mind ->

quote:
Earth: Discussions about the weather are typically dull small talk.

The Realms: Discussing the weather is serious business among Talassans (priests of Talos), Aurilians (priests of Auril) and hardcore/fundamentalist Akadians (priests of Akadi).

Inverse examples are also welcome.

quote:
Earth: A floating sphere with a massive eyeball, gaping maw and stalks with little eyeballs is cause for alarm.

The Realms: Just another day in Skullport.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2022 :  05:22:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Travel.

A trip of say 50 miles, in the Realms, is more than a day, one way (assuming you're not using magic). On Earth, though, you could easily drive fifty miles, spend several hours hanging out with a friend, and be home for dinner.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2022 :  05:48:22  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Travel.

A trip of say 50 miles, in the Realms, is more than a day, one way (assuming you're not using magic). On Earth, though, you could easily drive fifty miles, spend several hours hanging out with a friend, and be home for dinner.

With that same fifty miles, in the Realms, you are most likely taking your life into your hands (yes, even if you travel accompanied by the safety in numbers afforded by a caravan); on Earth, along with the absence of genuine monsters, you've got all sorts of civil infrastructure along the way, including emergency medical teams, firefighters, law enforcement, et cetera, that make the trip markedly more bearable.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

EricMinde
Seeker

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2022 :  12:32:08  Show Profile Send EricMinde a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stray cats

Earf: They are cats

Toril: They could be were cats, rakshasa, demons, magical creatures, omens, etc.

"When you understand the impossible, it changes to improbable and that means there's a chance!"

~Baroth Quagmire, built an orphanage, grew a castle in his friends home, the home did not survive the birth. Died three times and fought his way out of hell. Only player I've ever seen roll three 1% in a row.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2022 :  14:14:23  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Epidemics

Earth: You already know.

Toril: Tend to be localized and priests from multiple temples will try to stop it using relatively low-level and common magic. Bonus: you have someone to blame: Talona

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2022 :  19:24:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Earth: Humans are pretty much the top of the food chain

Toril: There are MANY things that eat humans

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2022 :  19:27:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Earth: Moving things across town involves renting a vehicle. Then moving those things around the house involves finagling things, going up stairs, down hallways.

Toril: Moving things across town involves renting a person who owns a bag of holding or portable hole. Unloading is just going to the room and pulling it out.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 25 Aug 2022 19:35:59
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2022 :  19:43:20  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Earth: Being individually nosy requires access to the Internet and hacking the camera on a laptop.

The Realms: Being individually nosy requires access to a scrying spell.

Earth: Protecting your privacy from nosy individuals requires tape over the camera on your laptop. Protecting your privacy from Big Brother, Inc. is hopeless.

The Realms: Protecting your privacy from nosy individuals requires a nondetection spell. Protecting your privacy from the Red Wizards of Thay is hopeless.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

EricMinde
Seeker

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2022 :  21:07:15  Show Profile Send EricMinde a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Earth: Food and Water shortages

Toril: There are so many ways to grow, speed up the growth, conjure or otherwise obtain food, there should be no food shortage ever. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting an everful basin or create water being cast.

"When you understand the impossible, it changes to improbable and that means there's a chance!"

~Baroth Quagmire, built an orphanage, grew a castle in his friends home, the home did not survive the birth. Died three times and fought his way out of hell. Only player I've ever seen roll three 1% in a row.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2022 :  02:40:37  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EricMinde

Stray cats

Earf: They are cats

Toril: They could be were cats, rakshasa, demons, magical creatures, omens, etc.

Also, in Cormyr, those stray cats enjoy an unusual level of protection; it's not quite "Ancient Egypt", but it gets up there.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2022 :  13:10:26  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Earth: Debates between atheists and religious adherents.
Toril: Survived the ToT and has oodles of clerics, druids and other divine spellcasters.
Edit: Toy changed to ToT. Autocorrect is not always your ally.

Edited by - Delnyn on 26 Aug 2022 13:14:00
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2022 :  15:55:21  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Earth: News from around the world are a common thing, usually we get them in real time.

In the Realms: news from afar are a rare thing, people usually risk their lives on long travels to bring news, and by the time they arrive, the news are old and outdated in their point of origin.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 26 Aug 2022 15:56:44
Go to Top of Page

EricMinde
Seeker

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2022 :  18:29:26  Show Profile Send EricMinde a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

On Earth: News from around the world are a common thing, usually we get them in real time.

In the Realms: news from afar are a rare thing, people usually risk their lives on long travels to bring news, and by the time they arrive, the news are old and outdated in their point of origin.

You don't think some wizard has thought of using divination mirrors to create an information empire?

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2022 :  21:47:44  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You don't think some wizard has thought of using divination mirrors to create an information empire?

A blabbermouth wizard is a wizard with some serious enemies, including other wizards who would like their doings to be kept private, especially when reporting on contentious events such as wars.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2022 :  05:22:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Earth: Every small-minded idiot can use a smartphone or drive a car, instantly talk to people across the world, instantly consult expert facts and references, easily travel across cities in minutes.

Toril: These things are still easy enough for those who are knowledgeable, powerful, disciplined, talented enough to be selected for education, apprenticeship, initiation. But all the small minds live in small worlds, they go nowhere and know nothing beyond their locality.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2022 :  21:24:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Earth: Every small-minded idiot can use a smartphone or drive a car, instantly talk to people across the world, instantly consult expert facts and references, easily travel across cities in minutes.

Toril: These things are still easy enough for those who are knowledgeable, powerful, disciplined, talented enough to be selected for education, apprenticeship, initiation. But all the small minds live in small worlds, they go nowhere and know nothing beyond their locality.

THAT is a good one.

Reminds me of how I was playing d20 modern rules that someone adapted to 5e for like 2 games. So, I was playing a wizard using the rules while everyone else was trying to play the roles presented in the book. I was doing things like using an unseen servant to carry a smartphone ahead of us, while the smartphone was opened to me for a skype call showing through its camera. I was also having fun with a conjurers ability to just create things on the fly and making simple modern things that a regular party would never carry.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 27 Aug 2022 21:30:44
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2022 :  22:30:52  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

A blabbermouth wizard is a wizard with some serious enemies, including other wizards who would like their doings to be kept private, especially when reporting on contentious events such as wars.

Not only that. Ed Greenwood has always said that that kind of magic is not common. That the big NPCs uses it like some trivial thing, doesn't mean that every wizard in the Realms is able to use it.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 27 Aug 2022 22:32:59
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2022 :  00:02:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Not only that. Ed Greenwood has always said that that kind of magic is not common. That the big NPCs uses it like some trivial thing, doesn't mean that every wizard in the Realms is able to use it.

and half of them use the magic for lewdness

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2022 :  01:45:57  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Epidemics

Toril: Tend to be localized and priests from multiple temples will try to stop it using relatively low-level and common magic. Bonus: you have someone to blame: Talona

I'm putting my ignorance on display here, but...

What significant widespread sicknesses/plagues have befell the Realms? The only event that comes to mind involved The Wailing Death (ref. Neverwinter Nights).

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2022 :  02:48:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

quote:

Epidemics

What significant widespread sicknesses/plagues have befell the Realms? The only event that comes to mind involved The Wailing Death (ref. Neverwinter Nights).

Plague in the Inner Sea in 1253 DR. Mention of plague in Waterdeep in 1150 DR. Great Plague of the Inner Sea noted as still around in 1317 DR. A bajillion plagues are noted in the timeline of the Calimport accessory. There is plague in Baldur's Gate in 1350 DR. I have plague in Impiltur in the years just after 1 DR and 880s DR. There are lots of plagues noted in the sources.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2022 :  03:29:50  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

quote:

Epidemics

Plague in the Inner Sea in 1253 DR. Mention of plague in Waterdeep in 1150 DR. Great Plague of the Inner Sea noted as still around in 1317 DR. A bajillion plagues are noted in the timeline of the Calimport accessory. There is plague in Baldur's Gate in 1350 DR. I have plague in Impiltur in the years just after 1 DR and 880s DR. There are lots of plagues noted in the sources.

-- George Krashos

Thank you.

Are those occurrences primarily historical footnotes or have any of them ever taken center stage in an adventure/module/supplement? If they were mostly tidbits providing fuel for the imagination and not focal topics, then that would explain why I didn't recall even one such event.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2022 :  04:28:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are those occurrences primarily historical footnotes or have any of them ever taken center stage in an adventure/module/supplement? If they were mostly tidbits providing fuel for the imagination and not focal topics, then that would explain why I didn't recall even one such event.

With very few exceptions, the fiction has always been present day (at the time of publication) for the Realms. And the OGB starts things off saying the year 1357 is just ending.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Aug 2022 04:29:35
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2022 :  15:09:32  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

With very few exceptions, the fiction has always been present day (at the time of publication) for the Realms. And the OGB starts things off saying the year 1357 is just ending.

Looking through my notes, some of the "present day" plagues would be the Iriaebor plague in 1367 (it was nipped in the bud with only 20 people dying), Neverwinter in 1372, Border Kingdoms in 1374, a draconic plague in 1409, and Luskan in 1480.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2022 :  00:02:55  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will return to the main thrust of this topic soon enough, but, if you folks will allow me to indulge in a tangent...

The Forgotten Realms are "high magic", whereas Eberron is "integrated magic". In the former setting, a Decanter of Endless Water is a mage's family heirloom; in the latter setting, each culinary establishment of note probably features one if not many such endless fonts of water.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2022 :  23:58:10  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Earth: Being individually nosy requires access to the Internet and hacking the camera on a laptop.

The Realms: Being individually nosy requires access to a scrying spell.

Earth: Protecting your privacy from nosy individuals requires tape over the camera on your laptop. Protecting your privacy from Big Brother, Inc. is hopeless.

The Realms: Protecting your privacy from nosy individuals requires a nondetection spell. Protecting your privacy from the Red Wizards of Thay is hopeless.

That is a curiously specific annoyance.

...I hope you haven't suffered the misfortune of being targeted by an especially dedicated hacker .

quote:

Earth: Food and Water shortages

Toril: There are so many ways to grow, speed up the growth, conjure or otherwise obtain food, there should be no food shortage ever. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting an everful basin or create water being cast.

Is malnutrition/starvation simply a non-factor in the Realms, then ?

quote:

Earth: Debates between atheists and religious adherents.
Toril: Survived the ToT and has oodles of clerics, druids and other divine spellcasters.
Edit: Toy changed to ToT. Autocorrect is not always your ally.

Was there a surfeit of such discourse during the Time of Troubles?

quote:

They also influence comparatively little, in contrast to our own state of affairs. Between both worlds...which is the lucky one?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2022 :  05:32:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:
Toril ... all the small minds live in small worlds, they go nowhere and know nothing beyond their locality

They also influence comparatively little, in contrast to our own state of affairs. Between both worlds...which is the lucky one?

A good question.

But given the details in these all-or-nothing world package deals, I'd rather run into internet trolls than run into monster trolls. Earth's trolls can easily be ignored or dismissed. Toril's trolls would likely tear me into screaming shreds.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 02 Sep 2022 05:34:42
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2022 :  13:29:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Earth - Getting a thousand nails, some wood, and running around framing up a house involves about a day of effort for 2 guys with a nail gun, a drill, circular saw, etc...

On Toril - Doing the same thing on Toril (without magic) involves hammering in each nail with strength of arm, cutting the wood to the right size with a hand saw, etc...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2022 :  13:33:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Earth - seeing two people actively having sex involves "accidentally" typing the wrong thing in google.

On Toril - seeing two people actively having sex involves scrying or leaving the house to go to some private club

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2022 :  21:40:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just mentioning that I was somewhat surprised the first time I typed "role playing games" into google image search.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2022 :  23:23:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

On Earth - seeing two people actively having sex involves "accidentally" typing the wrong thing in google.

On Toril - seeing two people actively having sex involves scrying or leaving the house to go to some private club

I've found highly questionable stuff doing legitimate, IT-related research for work. Not oft, but it's happened more than once.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2022 :  23:29:38  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The next example isn't precisely mundane and it isn't a regular occurrence (at least, I hope it isn't!), but...

Earth: Book burning - divorced from any other actions (that is to say, uncoupled from ideological impetus) - typically isn't life-threatening.
The Realms: Book burning? Congratulations, you've just started a holy war with the Oghmanytes and/or Deneirrath.

--- --- ---
--- --- ---

quote:

quote:
quote:
Toril ... all the small minds live in small worlds, they go nowhere and know nothing beyond their locality

A good question.

But given the details in these all-or-nothing world package deals, I'd rather run into internet trolls than run into monster trolls. Earth's trolls can easily be ignored or dismissed. Toril's trolls would likely tear me into screaming shreds.

Yes...I am right there with you . Much more of a lover than a fighter. That said...if I could hole up in a gnome/halfling/elf retreat, then I still might jump on the offer to depart this world (warty trolls or otherwise).

quote:

quote:

There is that "Arcane Age" line of products, right? The only reason I know about it is because I picked up a random FR novel with the Arcane Age emblem and because I learned that the empire of Netheril existed during said age.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000