Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Best $5,000 D&D Spent
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1214 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2022 :  14:57:10  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
(Sorry for not putting the full title as there was a limit)

Thought some might appreciate a little story of TSR buying the Realms from Ed by the author of Slaying the Dragon.

quote:
By 1967, to keep track of Mirt’s travels, Greenwood began scrawling maps on 8.5 by 11-inch sheets of paper. When he discovered D&D, he used Faerun as the setting of his D&D campaign. And as he explored the Realms through D&D, the map grew. He said he, “drew the master map page by page, as I needed to know more accurately where ‘distant Sembia’ or ‘far-off Thay’ was, building outwards from the Sword Coast.” He often drew with a Staedler pen because he discovered that he could then put another, blank piece of paper on top of that one and write notes about what foes and treasures might be found in various locales, but still give the first map to the players without spoiling any surprises. That original map lives in a box under Greenwood’s bed to this very day.

Rest of the story here: https://www.writerbenriggs.com/blog/1eyuluahgk6tg176ys4n1mz68slycb?fbclid=IwAR3oYlR7nFPL7Gir3RinkHUCoFJvfCPFVRcohgNN9fNRSr29eLqAczMKGYk

Edited by - questing gm on 09 Oct 2022 14:59:28

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2022 :  21:00:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting article.

Although I do challenge the statement "[the Realms] may be the most fully realized fantasy world ever created" - since there is also a thing called Middle Earth.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2022 :  00:00:52  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I was actually talking about something similar with my mother a week or two ago after watching the LoTR show. Imagine if Tolkien had the advantage of today's technology?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2022 :  11:22:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Interesting article.

Although I do challenge the statement "[the Realms] may be the most fully realized fantasy world ever created" - since there is also a thing called Middle Earth.

I would view the Realms as significantly more detailed than Middle Earth, even if you count all the ICE modules and sourcebooks. The doings of the high and mighty of Middle Earth are well known, far far less so for the mundane aspects of the world. That can't be said of the Realms thanks to Ed's lore-building.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1298 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2022 :  04:58:55  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Middle Earth is better suited for discussion; The Forgotten Realms is better for actual play.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11712 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2022 :  15:18:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd agree ... the realms has got much more exploration done on it. Now, from another perspective, I would also say it has 20 times the messups that need fixing as well. Tolkien's world has less history behind it (I believe anyway, and I've never read the Silmarillion), but that history tends to be more coherent. That being said, as I would expect most here would say, I love the realms more.... but I can also see Tolkien's influences on Toril as well.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2022 :  07:09:43  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Interesting article.

I would view the Realms as significantly more detailed than Middle Earth, even if you count all the ICE modules and sourcebooks. The doings of the high and mighty of Middle Earth are well known, far far less so for the mundane aspects of the world. That can't be said of the Realms thanks to Ed's lore-building.

-- George Krashos

This is completely correct. Middle Earth has some very specific material. Arguably the best fantasy novels ever. Still, there is very little that is detailed. The ICE and MERP books did a bit more, but compared to the Realms, there is almost nothing. The realms has multiple detailed continents. Dozens of detailed countries and cities. Multiple centuries.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000