Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Deity Meta Awareness
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  01:40:35  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are the deities, particularly those taken from real world cultures, aware of their different versions across the various worlds?

(Much of this assumes a Planescape view of the multiverse btw)

This question actually has multiple parts to it because I can think of a number of cases where there are slight variations that still might make a difference.

For example, Set. Set canonically came from our world’s Set. I’m assuming they are the same being in their outer planar kingdom. Am I correct?

But then there are gods like Tyr. Does he have differing kingdoms for different versions of himself? Can he meet himself on the outer planes and discuss if Fenris or Kezef bites harder?

How about Qotal and Quetzalcoatl? I think they’re a whole different level where they really have become two different gods. Can one meet the other and think “hey, you’re me with a few less letters!”

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  02:45:01  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Seethyr,

That is a fantastic question. My interpretation is that it is predicated upon the volume of worshippers as well as the capacity of magic where that deity exists.

It doesn't seem like Earth is too... magical. ;) haha

My personal preference in considering this issue has been to look at how the physics of one world are different than another. The Realms have a Weave, whereas Earth does not. That's a huge difference. This almost seems to be validate by the notion of the Imaskari stealing Egyptian's and eventually Ao allowing those gods to show up and crushf**k the Imaskari for showing up to work drunk for the last 1,000 years. haha

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  02:51:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there's enough conflicting information here that the proper answer is "How do you want it to be?". I think F&A comes close to the "canon" answer though

Some powers of the Realms share the same names as powers generally considered to be from other spheres of existence. These powers include Oghma, Tyr, Mielikki, Loviatar, Silvanus, and most of the Mulhorandi pantheon. For purpose of travel to other crystal spheres and other planes, these Realms powers are the same deities as those not associated with the Realms. Deities are multidimensional beings and have interests in many crystal spheres on the Prime Material Plane, of which Realmspace is but one.

However, such deities are presented in Faiths & Avatars in the way that they are known in the Realms. In other crystal spheres, they are perceived differently, depending on their influence, their concerns, and the natures of those spheres. Incidents that occur on one crystal sphere are not relevant to the dealings of that deity on another. Only incidents that affect a deity on its home plane of existence (usually in the Outer Planes) affect the power in all crystal spheres, and even then one has to be careful not to assume too much, So, beings who are multispheric who die in the Realms have merely involuntarily or voluntarily severed their divine connection to Realmspace. They are not dead, but they might as well be as far as the inhabitants of the Realms are concerned.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  03:28:12  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ye olde 1E Deities & Demigods had "rules" which defined the abilities of deities. Lesser deities could create Avatars of themselves. Greater deities could create Aspects of themselves - essentially a "cloned" or "spawned" or "forked" version of themselves, one invested with a portion of the deity's power and portfolios. Realmslore described Azuth as an Aspect of Mystra - he was an ascended mortal given part of Mystra's power and her dominion over wizards.

I would consider deities like Realms-Tyr and Realms-Tyche to be "aspects" of Norse-Tyr and Olympian-Tyche - initially "copies" of the originals, very similar though not quite identical - evolved over time (and Faith) into slightly different deities with very different histories and slightly different powers.

They may or may not be aware of their "meta" antecedents, descendants, and counterparts. I think it really boils down to their mythology in the Realms ... Realms-Tyr has a faith which describes his arrival in the Realms but makes no mention of where (or what) he came from before, it seems likely they just assume he is the one and only Tyr in the cosmos, that he left some other world to arrive on Toril ... while Realms-Tyche was barely described at all, her origins on Olympus are not mentioned at all, it seems the faithful of the Realms believe she has always (and only) been one of the goddesses manifested by Ao. I'm guessing the identities and understandings of these deities are themselves shaped by the faiths which worship and sustain them. Remember that deities can manifest new powers and portfolios and personalities when enough faith is provided - so it seems like they might also lose powers and portfolios and identity when faith in these old things has vanished.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  04:10:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think of pan-spheric deities as being something like different companies within a corporation. They fall under one general umbrella, and generally have the same goals -- but in different areas, they may offer different products and go about their business goals in a different way.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  12:09:01  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tyr just meant "god" in old norse so it's quite possible that it's a misunderstanding or misinterpretation, and that there wasn't really a specific god named Tyr.

Sorryididn'tmeantoderailthethreadI'mgonnaleavenowbyyyeeee!

On the other hand you have different fingers.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  12:20:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Returnip

Tyr just meant "god" in old norse so it's quite possible that it's a misunderstanding or misinterpretation, and that there wasn't really a specific god named Tyr.

lol, god (Tyr?) help me if I had to apologize everytime I took a thread in a new direction.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  12:38:19  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Returnip

lol, god (Tyr?) help me if I had to apologize everytime I took a thread in a new direction.

There is a theory presented by a historian that questions whether the old norse pantheon really was so big. A lot of good points are presented. If you're interested there's a book:

https://www.amazon.com/Myths-Northern-Europe-Ellis-Davidson/dp/0140136274

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  12:44:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Ye olde 1E Deities & Demigods had "rules" which defined the abilities of deities. Lesser deities could create Avatars of themselves. Greater deities could create Aspects of themselves - essentially a "cloned" or "spawned" or "forked" version of themselves, one invested with a portion of the deity's power and portfolios. Realmslore described Azuth as an Aspect of Mystra - he was an ascended mortal given part of Mystra's power and her dominion over wizards.

Hey Ayrik, there's nothing wrong with what you said, and I agree with it, but I was just surprised that they had THAT level of detail back in 1e and wanted to read it. Do you remember where that's at? I was just looking and all I could find was the old rules of only certain levels of spells coming from gods of certain power levels.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  16:19:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@sleyvas 1E Deities & Demigods ... most of the book is descriptions of deities and pantheons, but the mechanical nitty gritty is all near the beginning or the end of the book.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  21:22:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@sleyvas 1E Deities & Demigods ... most of the book is descriptions of deities and pantheons, but the mechanical nitty gritty is all near the beginning or the end of the book.

Yeah, I was looking at the version that has the cthulhu mythos, and I didn't see anything involving avatars or aspects. The reason why I was looking was that I didn't think I'd ever heard the term avatar until the ToT happened, and I was surprised when you said that they actually had some terms talking about lesser gods with avatars and greater gods with aspects in D&DG. I just kind of wanted to read the original thoughts on those subjects versus the ideas that came later, etc... Then again, I know there was another deities and demigods in 2nd edition (at least I think they called it that in that edition) that was more formalized. I don't think I have that one handy though. I'll have to hunt.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  22:02:47  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Planescape:

Each god lives on a plane in a pure form. A deity is a complex life form made up of a lot of views.

Many deities join(or are created or born as part of) a pantheon, for aid, defense and such. As part of the pantheon, the deity "fits in" with the pantheon. The dwarf gods choose to look like dwarves, the 'Norse' gods all choose a 'viking like' look. In a general sense the "Pantheon Deity" is most often the default deity. For the couple of deities that are loners also pick "default standards" for themselves.

When a pantheon moves to get worshipers on a world, most often the whole pantheon moves as a single unit.

Some times, a deity feels brave, and will go out on their own: test the waters on an unknown planet. Most often a deity will keep it simple and assume their default home plane form on the new world. Some times they would tweak it a bit....and some times they would change it up a lot.

The end result is that there is just a single deity on it's homeplane, that simply "plays a role on each world".
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  23:30:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Yeah, I was looking at the version that has the cthulhu mythos, and I didn't see anything involving avatars or aspects. The reason why I was looking was that I didn't think I'd ever heard the term avatar until the ToT happened, and I was surprised when you said that they actually had some terms talking about lesser gods with avatars and greater gods with aspects in D&DG. I just kind of wanted to read the original thoughts on those subjects versus the ideas that came later, etc... Then again, I know there was another deities and demigods in 2nd edition (at least I think they called it that in that edition) that was more formalized. I don't think I have that one handy though. I'll have to hunt.

Both versions of Deities & Demigods were 1e books. The version that came out in 2e was Legends & Lore.

I can't speak to the similarities, there; I didn't replace my copy of Legends & Lore and I'd not looked through it in a long time when I lost it. I replaced my copy of the Cthulhu/Elric Deities & Demigods, though -- got a great deal on it by finding an eBay seller who didn't appear to know there were different versions.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  01:06:01  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My mistake ... the material about Aspects & Avatars was actually in the 1E Manual of the Planes, the last few pages before the index.

Legends & Lore was early 2E. But it was a shameless reprint of (2nd printing, non-Cthulhu, non-Elric, non-Nehwon) 1E Deities & Demigods, nearly identical with new cover art and thoroughly lazy copypasta reformatted into 2E game stats (basically just new ability score tables, a few changed spell details, and no psionics). As I recall, it was actually the very first time I purchased a TSR product which made me question the quality of their business ethic.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 10 Dec 2020 01:14:21
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  01:43:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My mistake ... the material about Aspects & Avatars was actually in the 1E Manual of the Planes, the last few pages before the index.

Legends & Lore was early 2E. But it was a shameless reprint of (2nd printing, non-Cthulhu, non-Elric, non-Nehwon) 1E Deities & Demigods, nearly identical with new cover art and thoroughly lazy copypasta reformatted into 2E game stats (basically just new ability score tables, a few changed spell details, and no psionics). As I recall, it was actually the very first time I purchased a TSR product which made me question the quality of their business ethic.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. I didn't have access to the 1e manual of the planes when I was that young, that came later when I had more spare change to pick up used books. I don't think I ever gave it a lot of attention because the planescape stuff was what started defining the planes to me more (but even that I didn't have a lot of money for, and so my planar knowledge is a haphazard mix from across editions). I'm going to take some time later to flip through the original. Also, thank you both for the reminder on the name of the 2e book.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  06:41:13  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

That quote from F&A really makes me think how cool a modern GURPS: Illuminati / American Gods would be, but using sort of less powerful versions (and much fewer) Realms gods. That just exploded in my imagination at how cool that could be. Cult like stuff, essentially! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  08:06:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@cpthero ...

The Realms is full of cults. Small gods, big gods, monster gods, beast gods, forgotten gods. Some of them rival (or exceed) the power of established Faerunian deities except they're not widely accept as legit for whatever reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if some foreign, interloping, intruding gods from elsewhere started off in the Realms as cult icons.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  15:19:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great Reader sleyvas,

That quote from F&A really makes me think how cool a modern GURPS: Illuminati / American Gods would be, but using sort of less powerful versions (and much fewer) Realms gods. That just exploded in my imagination at how cool that could be. Cult like stuff, essentially! :)

Best regards,

Yeah, my ideas that I've been developing for the "Metahel Pantheon" using the metahel humans from the City of Gold product in Anchorome (who seem to be something like vikings or northmen or illuskans or Rus) have been fun to theorize with where I'm both hinting at the gods being the gods of Norse myth, but also many of them are also possibly the gods of the Faerunian Pantheon. For instance, the head of the pantheon is Thoros, a god with a missing eye and who is missing his forearm and which is replaced by a prosthetic limb, but who sounds a lot like Thor (and similar to Marvel's Thor). At the same time... if he weren't good, he'd sound a lot like Talos, who is also missing an eye and has a removable hand. His wife, Sifya the Warmother, the red goddess of skill in battle and shieldmaidens.... she could be the red knight quite easily. The sun god is a hostage from the "Faernir Tribe" (does that mean faerie or faerun or neither?) named Faerthandir, who rides across the sky upon a golden furred foxibou (antlered fox). Alaeralie "The Deceptress"/:Mistress of a Million Myths" resembles a cross of the Enchantress and Lorelie of Marvel norse myth, while at the same time resembling Leira (sounding out her name even sounds like "A Leira Lie".

I've got a bunch of others (some relating to Toril gods, some seldarine, some other pantheons, some marvel entities)

Eldunna / Freya / Eldath & Sune or possibly the elven goddess of love
Snoedramorphe / Snotra / Siamorphe
Valigor the Runtborn Giant / Loki / Valigan Thirdborn
Magnaer Yaernsacsasun / Magni / Magnar the Bear
Moedae Sifyasun / Modi /
Anachtar / Tyr(norse) / Tyr (Faerun)
Hemdahl the Nineborn God / Heimdall / Helm
Skaragos / Skurge (marvel) / Garagos
Faersellis Meunnindun / Munin / Tarsellis Meunniduin (snow elf god)
Faernmarel Mystarane / Freki / Fenmarel Mestarine
Kezris the Spirit Wolf / Fenris / Kezef
Lamasgrboda / Angrboda / Lamashtu
Heleshkigal / Hel / Ereshkigal & Raven Queen
Besparr the Manylegged / Sleipnir / Besparr the "Lord of Horses"... changed to "include Reindeer Lord"
Raelkath Maneeboughs / Relkath of the Many Branches
Audhum-Bhalla / Audumbla / Bhalla of Rashemi pantheon
Kaelleara the Horned Hamadryad / Verenestra / Khelliara of Rashemi Pantheon

Its kind of fun making the relations try to fit both and leaving it hanging as to what the truth is... and for all we know, its just a unique deity. I added a few that are "unique" but obviously related to norse myth. Some of them are not so much worshipped by the metahel as another group (for instance Faersellis Meunnindun is a snow elven god but they use the "correct" name for him, who was referenced more in the pantheon when Asagrimmr/Odin was alive and seen more as an "ally" )

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2020 :  03:00:33  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Deities and Demigods was retitled to "Legends & Lore" in 1984 or so, with new cover artwork (a few years after removing the Cthulhu and Melnibonean entries) but the interior was the same. The *2e* Legends & Lore was a completely new book (and included Nehwon), not just "copypasta." It set the format standard for Deity and Specialty Priest entries used up until Faiths & Avatars came out (and still used for compact write-ups in some products even afterwards).

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2020 :  03:16:09  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

quote:
The Realms is full of cults. Small gods, big gods, monster gods, beast gods, forgotten gods. Some of them rival (or exceed) the power of established Faerunian deities except they're not widely accept as legit for whatever reason.

Indeed. Definitely familiar with a good amount of the cults in the Realms. It is weird though as you mention, that they are not accepted as legit.

quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if some foreign, interloping, intruding gods from elsewhere started off in the Realms as cult icons.

So you do admit the Illuminati are behind all of the Realms cults...? I figured as much. ;)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2020 :  10:31:03  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
House Rothschild controls Sembia, approves all appointments to Amn's Council of Six and have hereditary rights to clergy positions in the Church of Waukeen. Behind House Rothschild are shapeshifting yuan-ti from the Thuban system (who also secretly sponsor all of Toril's star pact warlocks).

quote:

Great Reader Ayrik,

quote:

Indeed. Definitely familiar with a good amount of the cults in the Realms. It is weird though as you mention, that they are not accepted as legit.

quote:

So you do admit the Illuminati are behind all of the Realms cults...? I figured as much. ;)

Best regards,

Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2020 :  11:13:18  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

..how cool a modern GURPS: Illuminati / American Gods would be..

My partner is very much into southern gothic. I think you yanks are way to prone to taking inspiration from abroad for mythology when in reality you have some really good, all-american stuff to draw from and build on.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2020 :  03:11:23  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Returnip,

quote:
My partner is very much into southern gothic. I think you yanks are way to prone to taking inspiration from abroad for mythology when in reality you have some really good, all-american stuff to draw from and build on.

haha...first of all: thanks for the compliment! I love hearing 'Yanks'! :) I married a beautiful English woman, and her family refers to me as a Yank. :)

I also appreciate your outlook on American stuff. I think we do have some good stuff over here of our own. However, in light of pretty amazing European stuff, we do get a bit of a cloud, but I get it: great stuff in Europe too! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2020 :  12:20:08  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Seeker Returnip,

quote:

haha...first of all: thanks for the compliment! I love hearing 'Yanks'! :) I married a beautiful English woman, and her family refers to me as a Yank. :)

I also appreciate your outlook on American stuff. I think we do have some good stuff over here of our own. However, in light of pretty amazing European stuff, we do get a bit of a cloud, but I get it: great stuff in Europe too! :)

Best regards,

Yeah the use of the term was meant with affection, so I hope nobody took offense.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2020 :  13:34:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once, on a trip to the state of Georgia, some local kids saw the license tag on our car and called us Yankees.

...It was a Florida license tag.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2020 :  18:08:50  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Once, on a trip to the state of Georgia, some local kids saw the license tag on our car and called us Yankees.

...It was a Florida license tag.

Damn, did you hear dueling banjos? (B-b-bing-bing-bing-bing-biiinnng)
Whenever I have been called Yankee, I replied, "That's Red Sox."

OK. Back on topic: Would you all be amenable to include archfiends and celestial paragons as relevant to this thread?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2020 :  01:01:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
OK. Back on topic: Would you all be amenable to include archfiends and celestial paragons as relevant to this thread?

To be honest, I've always viewed Asmodeus as a deity in D&D. (Although not in the same way as 4E Realmslore explained.)

Archfiends are comparable in power to archangels. Even though the former are invariably condemned to lording over pits of suffering while the latter are often effectively elevated to demigod (or higher) status in D&D lore.

We all understand why TSR/WotC prefers to keep carefully keep devils and gods separated, no matter how fine (or arbitrary) the fine distinctions (logic or game mechanics) which separate them might be with more objective examination.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 13 Dec 2020 01:49:16
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2020 :  11:06:50  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To be honest, I've always viewed Asmodeus as a deity in D&D. (Although not in the same way as 4E Realmslore explained.)

Archfiends are comparable in power to archangels. Even though the former are invariably condemned to lording over pits of suffering while the latter are often effectively elevated to demigod (or higher) status in D&D lore.

We all understand why TSR/WotC prefers to keep carefully keep devils and gods separated, no matter how fine (or arbitrary) the fine distinctions (logic or game mechanics) which separate them might be with more objective examination.

4E made Asmodeus seem like Pazuzu's chump. What a crock...unless Asmodeus deliberately spread such a rumor to muddy the waters more.

Yeah, the distinctions are fine and arbitrary. Archfiends ostensibly cannot directly grant spells. When all is said and done, clerics of Orcus, et. al. cast divine spells and access domains, whether in Realmspace or another crystal sphere. Screw the pretzel semantics.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2020 :  01:42:23  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Delnyn,

I knew it! I had these suspicions all along. Has anyone posited this now working theory to the Great Oversorcerer on the Twitter? ;)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2020 :  01:44:52  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Delnyn,

quote:
4E made Asmodeus seem like Pazuzu's chump. What a crock...unless Asmodeus deliberately spread such a rumor to muddy the waters more.

Yeah, I just ignored all that stuff. As Great Reader Ayrik said, I myself consider Asmodeus a deity as well. That is one powerful devil. ;)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2020 :  14:21:21  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being a god cheapens the Lord of Nessus. The Lord Below does not need to be a god; he rules Baator because he's Asmodeus, not because he's a god. All the Nine Pits bend to his will by dint of his personal might, not because mortals worship him; if anything, mortals who delve too deeply into the nature of the Lord Below simply vanish.

That is, until 4e turned the Royal Family of Baator into a byzantine semi-incestous soap opera. Bensozia coldly refusing to betray her lawful consort and driving Levistus into a murderous fury is vastly more interesting than yet another cheap ripoff of the Targeryan family.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000