Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 NEW Utter East project thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2017 :  18:43:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two things: IIRC, House Cannith didn't intentionally create sentient warforged -- they were making them with better and better artificial intelligence, and then suddenly sentient warforged were coming out. House Cannith didn't know how it happened and were rather surprised by it...

As for the Bloodforges (an area of Realmslore I'm still woefully ignorant of) being tied to just one area... I'd say that there's something unique about that area. Maybe a hidden/buried power source (master forge, fallen deity/primordial, convenient artifact) in the area that the 'forges are tied to, or maybe it's something simpler, like a unique arrangement of ley lines.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2017 :  22:15:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, yeah, I know it was an accident, but it doesn't mean it didn't follow similar lines of production. They were experimenting with different 'spirit types' to attach to the golems, and then hit upon the idea of a 'magic elemental', and tried it... and later they became sentient. I understand there are still quite a few of the 'less aware' types floating around as well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2017 :  22:20:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I'm very hesitant to say he is some known demon lord (example Pazuzu). I'd be more inclined to make him some kind of lesser primordial that was imprisoned.

Also, I know we picture the elements as four, but other cultures say there are five (the wu jen for instance say wood, fire, metal, earth, and water). So, since I now see a picture of this guy.... he doesn't even remotely look like "air" to me. He could be metal or wood, and I'd be inclined to metal. Given he has ties to a "bloodforge" I'd say he has ties to metal.

Given that this place is AROUND where the Padhra religion started AND is supposed to be associated to possibly some Kara-Tur cultures in the past.... I'll also note this from the Player's Guide to Faerun (which oddly.... me and BadCatMan were wondering if Kara-Tur were like this a couple months back, and here we have canon lore saying we were correct.... and it even moreso makes me feel I'm more correct with Rashemen being a spirit realm way back when).

THE SPIRIT WORLD
The Spirit World described in the Appendix in Manual of the Planes is coexistent with and coterminous to the Material Plane, but only in Kara-Tur. Each deity of Kara-Tur’s Celestial Bureaucracy has a small realm attached to the Spirit World. Because it is a transitive plane, the Spirit World replaces the Astral Plane in Kara-Tur.

So, given this.... we could call him primordial or "Great Spirit".... having him be a "Great Spirit" of metal would seem to make sense. In fact, making him a "Great Spirit" of "blood and metal" created by some mass creation of weapons followed by a bloody massacre.... maybe even created by some long ago conflict.

Hmmmm, and IF this is the case, perhaps basal golems are in fact spirits just like telthors. Perhaps the bloodforge actually transfers spirit energy from the spirit world to a created body that actually is incorporeal/ghostly (somewhat like a weaveghost.... blue even). Also, the idea of the creating of clerics, paladins, rangers, druids, etc.... could again be something which makes a "basal golem" much more fleshy and imprints an ancestor spirit into the body.... being rebirthed into a new body instantaneously rather than being born naturally. This act may very well be seen as sacrilegious by the people of the culture, and very "chaotic" and a breaking of the "natural order". Thus why Tartyron is named as he is as a "Lord of Chaos" because maybe he as a great spirit created bloodforges to try and use spirits from the spirit world to conquer "the real world".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 02 Nov 2017 22:48:32
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2017 :  23:57:45  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hmmmm, and IF this is the case, perhaps basal golems are in fact spirits just like telthors. Perhaps the bloodforge actually transfers spirit energy from the spirit world to a created body that actually is incorporeal/ghostly (somewhat like a weaveghost.... blue even). Also, the idea of the creating of clerics, paladins, rangers, druids, etc.... could again be something which makes a "basal golem" much more fleshy and imprints an ancestor spirit into the body.... being rebirthed into a new body instantaneously rather than being born naturally. This act may very well be seen as sacrilegious by the people of the culture, and very "chaotic" and a breaking of the "natural order". Thus why Tartyron is named as he is as a "Lord of Chaos" because maybe he as a great spirit created bloodforges to try and use spirits from the spirit world to conquer "the real world".

-I recall a lot of brainstorming back during the 3e days linking the Bloodforges to Incarnum, an interesting concept one of the late 3e books had involving spirit energy/magic.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2017 :  02:43:41  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm not going to worry about mechanics for now, and certainly not 3e mechanics. My assumption here is that mages of the south are all sorcerers, of one stripe or another.

Well, not game mechanics, but the "how to bloodforges even work?" mechanics.

quote:

The Lords of the Elemental Realms (Parsanic League) were probably Mages. It specifically says Tartyron was one of them,

Not necessarily. "Bloodforge mage" was a term I had to adopt for someone who commands a bloodforge. The game often says bloodforges are used by mages, and I determined one needed to be a mage to use them. But what is a "mage" anyway? However, it might be possible for a ruler to have a bloodforge mage in their employ. In any case, it's more an abstraction for game characters who command bloodforged armies. It's a use of magic that doesn't rely on conventional wizardry, so a "mage" here isn't someone we'd recognise as a mage

On the other hand, everyone who's anyone in the Realms is a spellcaster, so...

The lords are already called the Circle of Order, so there's no need to change that name. (The Free Cities of Parsanic may have just arisen later.)

As for their kind of elementalism... Hmm, the Lord of Lands wears a green robe, a wreath, and carries a stick. I'm tempted to call the Lord of Lands a druid, based on his appearance, though he might be a nature-focused mage. He's less earthy, more perhaps wood. So, yeah, they could well have a different elemental system, but then we'd need a fifth character, and there are only four known.

The Lord of Flame is a guy in red plate armour with a sword, so he's some form of warrior. Though they dress to their roles, they look too human to me. I'm inclined to think of them as long-lived/immortal human spellcasters (and a realm of "Immortals" is mentioned later), similar to the leaders of Mezro in Chult.

Coincidentally, Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms mentions, for the gods of Malatra, the Lords of Creation, who were "adopted from a southwestern culture beyond the bounds of Kara-Tur". While the whole of southern Kara-Tur is utterly unexplored and southwest of Malatra, it's still within Kara-Tur. As we discussed the first time, the Sempadan Forest and the Utter East (or perhaps some place in northern Zakhara) are the most likely candidates for their origin. That their "believers are among the most arbitrary and authoritarian to be found in the Malatra jungles" also suggests a Circle of Order.

Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms recommends using the Indian deities, but I'm not sure this is necessary; it's a suggestion rather than a fact, just like Mahasarpa was a suggested fill-in for the Utter East and Sempadan, even though it's from Rokugan. It only needs something similar. Stray gods of the southeast Faerūn and Zakhara could be plugged in here: Zionil (Gond) in place of Tvashtri, for example, and the holy water buffalo Yampa who carried the Padhra.

As for their sometimes western dress, they could have changed or the events of the game are a Faerūnised depiction of the eastern-like events that should have happened.

quote:

Control of the Bloodforges: Obviously, I misremembered about the 'pearls of power', or rather, I might be remembering how we spun them, way back when. What did the Pearl of Power DO in the game again? I don't believe the VG ever stated how the Bloodforges and golems were controlled; the game wouldn't have needed to... but we do. If it goes by 'owner', whatdefies that? the last person who touched the Forge? That would be a serious drawback to using them (on the other hand, it would be one way to nerf such an uber-powerful artifact). It could be why these guys 9the ones who all used the Bloodforges) only relied on created troops, rather than 'real' ones - one of your men could steal your thunder just by touching the Forge.

The Pearl of Power was magical pearl, I quote, "the Pearl of Power which, according to legend, could bring life to arcane inventions" and was used to activate the Juggernaut construct. It makes a construct go, basically, but since constructs are ten-a-penny in D&D and even in B&M, it should be rather more. The story also warns "For the Pearl held a curse to whomever did bear it. A curse of war and calamity born from greed." Which is kind of like what happened when Bloodforges were discovered in Faces of Deception and Grand History accounts.

As for operating a bloodforge and commanding basal golem armies, the game actually did hint at this in the Demo game readme story I quoted earlier, and as I described in the wiki articles. One needs to be a mage of some kind, to have "mastered" the bloodforge (whether become an expert in its use or exerted mental control over it, I don't know). The bloodforge is placed in a certain location (only a few specific sites on any given map) in suitable terrain (we discussed leylines and sacred sites the first time around).

Oddly, the bloodforge mages don't stand on the battlefield, but fly over it, issuing commands to their armies using a marble "oracle" invented by the Great Mage (the Sun Tzu of bloodforge warfare, apparently). That of course just describes the in-game interface and perspective.

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2017 :  07:00:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So then we can spin Pearls of Power as the controlling mechanism (just to tie VG elements into D&D mechanics). I mean, the Basal Golems ARE a type of automaton. The person who controls the pearl controls whatever comes out of the forge its attuned to. I know that's not really how it worked in the game, but its close enough to the lore and becomes something we need. Then we can just have those PoP's mounted in anything we want - a pendant, a crown, a sword, even a throne (once again, that's a rather obnoxious thing to be dragging around with you on a battlefield).

As for the 'mage' part - we first discussed this back in 3e, and back then anyone could take a 1-level 'dip' into a class. Lets just say they have to have a spell-casting class - that should cover just about everything. Only problem I see is Rathgar, the first guy. He was a barbarian, from the looks of it (Shaman?)

On the other hand, they are artifacts, so maybe anyone CAN use them.

Tying the Circle of Order to the Vedic pantheon may seem mechanically correct, but it feels off to me. Unless... we say those cities have been there forever (which they have - at least a thousand years), and date back to a time when the Mar were the dominant ethnicity in the Utter east. I have to play with that mentally a bit - that actually could work nicely, and I've been dying to take kali out for a spin.

As far as them being the Parsanic League of today - like I said, this was all a LONG time ago, and if we tweak the (VG) history so that both versions are somewhat correct, The Lords of Order controlled that region, and then Tartyron took it over (killing THOSE Lords of Order, years {centuries?} BEFORE the campaign involving him even begins). The Lords of Order we know (from the VG) are a second group that was around when Tartyron reared his ugly head again. Thus, we already have at least two 'eras' for that Realm, and after the campaign with Tartyron, we can say that at least one of them was killed (probably the earth guy, because of the VG lore), and the other two 'retired'. The cities became ruled by council, and eventually became the Parsanic League. Use the lore to fix the lore.

The arrival of the Ffolk did not have to occur until well after all of that. Considering the lore revolving around Tartyron, we know there had to be at least two separate time periods of 'Bloodforge wars' - the one in the GHotR is just the last one (to have any major impact - I am sure a single Forge still shows up from time to time). If we say that the storyline (campaign) involving Tartyron itself happened earlier in the timeline, then we can spread things out even more. It seems to be a separate group of events from the other campaigns anyway.

I still need to know something about that Ysdar devil-dude (tielfing? that would make the most sense in the current D&D edition). I can't even begin to place him until I know his story. I recall trying to get that novel years ago, and it was like $70 USED - thats just insane.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Nov 2017 07:09:26
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2017 :  07:02:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, I'm very hesitant to say he is some known demon lord (example Pazuzu). I'd be more inclined to make him some kind of lesser primordial that was imprisoned.
No, no, no!

NOBODY traps Pazuzu! I LOVE that guy!

You misunderstood. I was saying that a LONG time ago (at least a thousand years) some demon lord corrupted our guy Tartyron (who WAS trapped), and since Tartyron must be the missing 'Lord of Air' (through process of elimination), it makes a lot of sense tying an antideluvian (Obyrith) archfiend like Pzarael to the corruption of a guy associated with AIR. That happens off-stage, even in the vG it happened well in the past, and whatever caused Tartyron's 'fall from grace' would not have been trapped, and probably would not have even been known about by anyone but Tartyron himself (and maybe not even him - he may have had no idea who was whisipering evil things in his ear). Saying it was Pazuzu is just pure metagaming - no-one but us fans could no that (and he's just fine, not trapped - he was vacationing in Miami that week. He's got a condo there. All archfiends do).

And none of that has anything to do with the trapped 'cosmic horror' I am picturing below the Utter East - perhaps even more than one (I am thinking one 'Elder Evil' and a couple of 'lesser primordials'). Pazuzu may have been aware of them (I'm sure he was), and he may have even pointed-out the ancient, buried capstone (Bloodforge) to tartron, just to get him to move it, and that would release the 'antideluvian horrors'.

Now, if Tartyron IS still buried/trapped there, he may even be one of the 'lesser evils'. I think whatever deal he made turned him into a demon (it wouldn't be the first time a mortal became a fiend). In fact, maybe he released one evil into the world (I haven't even conjectured who/what that may have been - who was that demon that was playing with the Ilythiir Dark Elves? Maybe him?), and after he was defeated, he took that fiend's place in its former prison, sealed behind a Bloodforge himself.

There was also that monster realm up on the glacier there - what was that guy's name? Could he have been another fiend-lord? did he seem powerful enough to be some sort of 'ancient evil'?

And if we are going to bring the Mar/Vedics into this, we got to have rakshasa. I've been wanting to play with them as well.

And speaking of cosmic cat beings, hey Sleyvas, one more thing I forgot to mention about Tan Chin's history (I have no idea which thread we were discussing him in), but Tan Chin was not on good terms with The Black Leopard (Bauhei) cult. And the only reason I just thought of that guy is because back when I was doing the K-T stuff, I pegged him as Vibhishana, Ravana's* (the Rakshasa king) younger, good brother (still chaotic, like all Rakshasa, so not 'perfect' in the eyes of the Vedic gods). Funny thing is, Ravana's other brother Kumbhakarna fought The Monkey King (known as Sugriva in the Indian pantheons, but as Sun Wukong in China, and just 'Monkey' in The Realms). And that god is busy all over K-T, and seems to be on good terms with the Black Panther (who, as I said, is the other Rakshasa brother). It all comes full circle.

Maybe we can stick Druaga under the ground somewhere there - no-one's played with him yet (although he should really be somewhere up near The Old Empires).

*And now that I am thinking about Ravana, he makes a great Primordial. Maybe even an Obyrith (the guy is described as having TEN HEADS!) Hmmmm... and I had him and a bunch of rakshasa trapped in the Yehimals (they got traced out of Zakhara some 20-25K years ago, before humans were there). the dwarves accidentally feed them, and thats why the dwarves had to all flee north. So perhaps its not so much the Utter East itself, but the nearby mountain range that has buried 'evils' in it. Further hmmmmm... maybe Landarma is a watchpost?

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Nov 2017 17:48:22
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2017 :  07:43:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks BCM - something tells me I am going to have to completely revamp my imaskari creation stuff again. Too bad I need to keep 'light skinned' in there somehow, otherwise it would be easy. I suppose I could just blame it on the Fey bloodlines and ditch the theoretical Cortae altogether (that will be the second time I dropped those guys... poor, bloody, hypothetical bastards).

I am now seeing the Kao (ancient Ang-Mar empire) being much more monolithic and pervasive then I had ever dreamed before. They were definitely in the Larang Valleys (Tempat Larang, etc), but apparently they had crossed the Yehimals and were into the Taan and Ue regions as well. Hell, I may not even need the Zakharans if I have psuedo-Indians to work with (they came much later anyway). The Ang spread north from the Dweepam (lower K-T) region, and eventually encounter the Fey (Kami, Yaksha), and befriend them, and together (spiritfolk) they build the beginnings of the Imaskari civilization. There were not many Fey left - most had left for the Feywild (they had their own 'Retreat', similar to the elves) when the Ang were just primitive savages. The Fey name the humans 'Mar', which is a strange yet affectionate term similar to 'special' here on Earth (they consider humans 'deformed', and somewhat ugly, but also pity them). One offshoot of the resultant spiritfolk are the Maraloi of the Ama basin. So the Kao (Ang-Mar) empire would already have been 'ancient and decadent' before Imaskar was even a thing.

Hmmmm... two type of magic I need in Imaskar to make everything work. The third type - 'portal' (translocation) - I have covered with the 'lost temple of Aoskar'. But I need some nature magic, and I need some artificery (automatons) in their society early on (to explain other things later). The Fey connection to nature is a given, and we know they had 'dealings'. That helps us with Raumathar's early history. However, Raumathar was even more famous for its later military innovations - their 'war machines'. I think I can tie that to the Mar (Tvashtri), and then go even further back and say that the piece of Blackmoor (preSundering human culture) that wound up in the Realms wound up in Malatra. Every (D&D) world has a piece of Blackmoor in it, and I think I finally figured out where to locate FR's (at its height, the Blackmoor culture was very similar to the ones in Jack Vance's Dying Earth novels, which just so happens to be where we get our magic system from - its a mix of tech and magic).

And here I am, looking for pictures of 'robot elephants' at 3:30 AM...

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Nov 2017 17:44:55
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2017 :  09:00:34  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As far as them being the Parsanic League of today - like I said, this was all a LONG time ago, and if we tweak the (VG) history so that both versions are somewhat correct, The Lords of Order controlled that region, and then Tartyron took it over (killing THOSE Lords of Order, years {centuries?} BEFORE the campaign involving him even begins). The Lords of Order we know (from the VG) are a second group that was around when Tartyron reared his ugly head again. Thus, we already have at least two 'eras' for that Realm, and after the campaign with Tartyron, we can say that at least one of them was killed (probably the earth guy, because of the VG lore), and the other two 'retired'.

Nothing says they were killed, but nothing says they weren't either. The Circle of Order aren't a second group, they're the original rulers of the Utter East.

quote:

Considering the lore revolving around Tartyron, we know there had to be at least two separate time periods of 'Bloodforge wars'.

Indeed, the bloodforges' status as ancient war machines implies their use in past wars. I'm not entirely certain the undated events of the game even fit within the Bloodforge Wars described in Grand History, as they end in very different ways.

quote:

And none of that has anything to do with the trapped 'cosmic horror' I am picturing below the Utter East = perhaps even more than one (I am thinking one 'Elder Evil' and a couple of 'lesser primordials'). Pazuzu may have been aware of them (I'm sure he was), and he may have even pointed-out the ancient, buried capstone (Bloodforge) to tartron, just to get him to move it, and that would release the 'antideluvian horrors'.

I think it might be best to leave it open, let it be whatever a DM wants it to be. The source material gives at least three different options, and even Grand History flipflops on whether they're undead or fiends. Like Lovecraftian? Then they're Lovecraftian antediluvian horrors. Want devils, then it's Ysdar and the Forgotten Ones. Or they're undead, with an imminent zombie apocalypose. A tortured and sympathetic villain like Tartyron.

quote:

There was also that monster realm up on the glacier there - what was that guy's name? Could he have been another fiend-lord? did he seem powerful enough to be some sort of 'ancient evil'?

The Kingdom of Nix, home to goblins and harpies, once ruled by Redfang the Reaper. It's hard to say what he is, but he's hardly fiend-lord level, more just an advanced monster.

quote:

I am now seeing the Kao (ancient Ang-Mar empire) being much more monolithic and pervasive then I had ever dreamed before. They were definitely in the Larang Valleys (Tempat Larang, etc), but apparently they had crossed the Yehimals and were into the Taan and Ue regions as well. Hell, I may not even need the Zakharans if I have psuedo-Indians to work with (they cam much later anyway). The Ang spread north from the Dweepam (lower K-T) region, and eventually encounter the Fey (Kami, Yaksha), and befriend them, and together (spiritfolk) they build the beginnings of the Imaskari civilization. There were not many Fey left - most had left for the feywild (they ad their own 'Retreat', similar to the elves) when the Ang were just primitive savages. The Fey name the humans 'Mar', which is a strange yet affectionate term similar to 'special' here on Earth (they consider humans 'deformed', and somewhat ugly, but also pity them). One offshoot of the resultant spiritfolk are the Maraloi of the Ama basin. So the Kao (Ang-Mar) empire would already have been 'ancient and decadent' before Imaskar was even a thing.

Huh? The Kao are just the Kao Dynasty of Shou Lung, and are relatively recent too. The Horde campaign setting muddles matters by referring to the Shou as the Kao, but that's most likely just the barbarians' view of things.

The Maraloi are officially elves: The Horde's NPC card for Bayalun states she is half-Maraloi (which is confirmed in the novel Horselords) and calls the Maraloi "an ancient Eastern offshot of the elvish nation". They might be more fey than most elves, with their iron allergy, but that's not unusual for elves, and they are also spirit beings in the Kara-Turan view.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2017 :  11:52:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

quote:

I'm not going to worry about mechanics for now, and certainly not 3e mechanics. My assumption here is that mages of the south are all sorcerers, of one stripe or another.

Well, not game mechanics, but the "how to bloodforges even work?" mechanics.

quote:

The Lords of the Elemental Realms (Parsanic League) were probably Mages. It specifically says Tartyron was one of them,

Not necessarily. "Bloodforge mage" was a term I had to adopt for someone who commands a bloodforge. The game often says bloodforges are used by mages, and I determined one needed to be a mage to use them. But what is a "mage" anyway? However, it might be possible for a ruler to have a bloodforge mage in their employ. In any case, it's more an abstraction for game characters who command bloodforged armies. It's a use of magic that doesn't rely on conventional wizardry, so a "mage" here isn't someone we'd recognise as a mage

On the other hand, everyone who's anyone in the Realms is a spellcaster, so...

The lords are already called the Circle of Order, so there's no need to change that name. (The Free Cities of Parsanic may have just arisen later.)

As for their kind of elementalism... Hmm, the Lord of Lands wears a green robe, a wreath, and carries a stick. I'm tempted to call the Lord of Lands a druid, based on his appearance, though he might be a nature-focused mage. He's less earthy, more perhaps wood. So, yeah, they could well have a different elemental system, but then we'd need a fifth character, and there are only four known.

The Lord of Flame is a guy in red plate armour with a sword, so he's some form of warrior. Though they dress to their roles, they look too human to me. I'm inclined to think of them as long-lived/immortal human spellcasters (and a realm of "Immortals" is mentioned later), similar to the leaders of Mezro in Chult.

Coincidentally, Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms mentions, for the gods of Malatra, the Lords of Creation, who were "adopted from a southwestern culture beyond the bounds of Kara-Tur". While the whole of southern Kara-Tur is utterly unexplored and southwest of Malatra, it's still within Kara-Tur. As we discussed the first time, the Sempadan Forest and the Utter East (or perhaps some place in northern Zakhara) are the most likely candidates for their origin. That their "believers are among the most arbitrary and authoritarian to be found in the Malatra jungles" also suggests a Circle of Order.

Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms recommends using the Indian deities, but I'm not sure this is necessary; it's a suggestion rather than a fact, just like Mahasarpa was a suggested fill-in for the Utter East and Sempadan, even though it's from Rokugan. It only needs something similar. Stray gods of the southeast Faerūn and Zakhara could be plugged in here: Zionil (Gond) in place of Tvashtri, for example, and the holy water buffalo Yampa who carried the Padhra.

As for their sometimes western dress, they could have changed or the events of the game are a Faerūnised depiction of the eastern-like events that should have happened.

quote:

Control of the Bloodforges: Obviously, I misremembered about the 'pearls of power', or rather, I might be remembering how we spun them, way back when. What did the Pearl of Power DO in the game again? I don't believe the VG ever stated how the Bloodforges and golems were controlled; the game wouldn't have needed to... but we do. If it goes by 'owner', whatdefies that? the last person who touched the Forge? That would be a serious drawback to using them (on the other hand, it would be one way to nerf such an uber-powerful artifact). It could be why these guys 9the ones who all used the Bloodforges) only relied on created troops, rather than 'real' ones - one of your men could steal your thunder just by touching the Forge.

The Pearl of Power was magical pearl, I quote, "the Pearl of Power which, according to legend, could bring life to arcane inventions" and was used to activate the Juggernaut construct. It makes a construct go, basically, but since constructs are ten-a-penny in D&D and even in B&M, it should be rather more. The story also warns "For the Pearl held a curse to whomever did bear it. A curse of war and calamity born from greed." Which is kind of like what happened when Bloodforges were discovered in Faces of Deception and Grand History accounts.

As for operating a bloodforge and commanding basal golem armies, the game actually did hint at this in the Demo game readme story I quoted earlier, and as I described in the wiki articles. One needs to be a mage of some kind, to have "mastered" the bloodforge (whether become an expert in its use or exerted mental control over it, I don't know). The bloodforge is placed in a certain location (only a few specific sites on any given map) in suitable terrain (we discussed leylines and sacred sites the first time around).

Oddly, the bloodforge mages don't stand on the battlefield, but fly over it, issuing commands to their armies using a marble "oracle" invented by the Great Mage (the Sun Tzu of bloodforge warfare, apparently). That of course just describes the in-game interface and perspective.

On what are bloodforge mages.... I could well see them falling into the warlock realm with pacts offered via the bloodforges themselves (perhaps they have a sentience, or perhaps they link back to Tartyron and he offers the pacts). They could also be incarnates or binders, though both of these have no rules under 5e (binders come close to warlocks and I have created some rules to simulate them though). Of course, sorcerers and wizards also work.

We only know of four elemental lords maybe because another is imprisoned? So if the lord of land represents EITHER wood OR earth, and lord of fire is fire, and lord of tides is water, and Tartyron were metal... then we could have it that there is a lord of wood OR earth who was bound by them. I don't necessarily think this is the best idea, but it comes immediately to mind that perhaps Moander was a lord of wood that got corrupted and bound..... or perhaps the lord/lady of wood is a much weaker being and he/she was corrupted by moander (I think the second option sounds better, and would give another bound entity of some sort which can be nasty).

I agree very much with the idea that these lords of order should not be uber powerful. Making them humans who have ascended to some kind of lesser divine/immortal status could be one thing. I prefer the concept though of some kind of spirit, especially given that the Celestial Bureaucracy is in the spirit world. These beings may have titles that were simply shortened..... like the lord of the land, maybe be the lord of X lands or Y mountains, etc.... he could be a spirit of the Yehimals for existence (and I only use that name so I don't have to pull up a map to find a smaller mountain range there).

The Padhra religion in which ones spirit merges with this spirit world would work well I think with these bloodforges with a little work. These Lords of Creation you mention in the Kara-Tur boxed set also could fit this well. In fact, this "spirit world" may consist of both primordials and "great spirits", because truly what do we know of the differences.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2017 :  19:08:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only read BCM's response thus-far.

Redfang the Reaper - I blew that pic up in GIMP. He's a bug. I was at first thinking he may be some sort of 'demon Thri-Kreen' (Tri-Kreen tiefling?), but then I got a good look at his face, and it looks more spider-like. He could definitely be a fiend-lord. An underachiever, maybe. One that got 'tossed out. Or perhaps he's a 'watchpost' for the bad guys, just like I think Langdarma might be one for the 'good guys' (more like Order & Chaos, than Good & Evil). If he is 'stationed' there, its a craptastic post, and he probably resents it like hell (pun intended).
quote:

Nothing says they were killed, but nothing says they weren't either. The Circle of Order aren't a second group, they're the original rulers of the Utter East.
Are you implying they are immortal Because then you may be reading far more into it then I am.

Tartyron wasn't 'bound' the first time? Thats where I may be getting confused. The campaign starts off talking about 'The Past' - about how he was bound by the Lords of Order. I was think he was bound twice, but now I realize he simply turned on them the first time, LOST, ad then was bound. Some time later (centuries?), the campaign time period takes place, and he escapes his prison. Since the 'Lords of Order' are NOT around anymore during the campaign (else, why aren't they helping you? Or are they?), I think by the time of the Bloodforge Wars (in the GHotR) they were no longer a thing. I am just not seeing him as the 'antideluvian horror' the GHotR speaks of, though. I have to assume that's some sort of 'final resolution' (doomsday scenario) someone managed to pull off... although why the Zakharans came and had to handle it is anybody's guess. I know that one threw us all for a loop, even way back then. I'm looking over that timeline - he didn't even give us enough time for the Moonshaers to really have established themselves (we are talking barely one generation). We may have to consider that as "just one time" in a wave of incursions (the portal I created in my CKC article is intermittent - I believe I made it only activate during a storm).

My thoughts here are now that pockets of ffolk and Northmen had arrived from time-to-time, via the portal (caught in storms), but that one time - the time I talk about in my article and also the year (621 DR) Brian pinpointed as the Moonshae arrival - would have been two large fleets that were well-armed (they were attacking each other when the storm caught them). That lets us say there may have been a few small settlements of ffolk and Norse around the region, and when the fleets arrived (badly storm-damaged and unable to continue their own conflict), it was simply decided to unti the pockets of notherners together with the new arrivals and takeover the Mar lands (as it says they did in the GHotR). They probably renamed the largest mar settlements after taking them over, and in the intervening 700+ years, the cultures have blended together in the cities (small settlements would still keep their original 'ethnic flavor', for the most part). Thus, Konigheim isn't really 'northmen', its somehting new - a blend of Mar (Indian) and Norse culture (their pantheon must be wack, but since I believe the Aesir = Assura - a RW theory, BTW - I guess its manageable). Doegan would be a blend of Ffolk and Mar (some definite Nature/Balance type of faith there), Edenvale would be a nearly 'pure' Ffolk stock (ones who traveled inland, and wanted nothing to do with the fighting the other groups were engaging in), and the Vanesci 'Hamlet' would be a plateau were the few pure mar live (because the area is so resource-poor that no-one cared enough to take it from them). Lastly, the Parsanic League is the last bastion of the original 'Realms of Ordered' decreed by the Vedic pantheon; they started out as Mar, but because of their placement, their culture is now a mix of all the others now, including some residual Bedine (Zakharan).

As for the Kao Empire - I am taking the errant passages in The Horde and running with them. I need to establish some older culture in the area, and we have some indications (via the Mar, but also other down in the Larang valleys) that the Vedic-like culture in Malatra had spread that far (or perhaps it had spread out from a more centralized location, like the area I labeled 'Mahasarpa' on one of my maps). I am taking lore that was odd (wrong? Canon can't be wrong! LOL) and repurposing it, and shoving it much further back in the timeline. The modern Kao Shan province was the last piece of the ancient Kao empire to have survived, and the Shou kept the name of the province as part of the final agreement when they absorbed them (MY lore, to make everything work). I've actually been thinking that fsince before even the last Ue thread/project, because of those weird entries in The Horde. I'm just taking them now and running even further with them, because I need to establish the Ang-Mar spreading out in at a very early time (like around -16,000 DR or so, and those would have been VERY primitive people back then - the culture/empire didn't form until probably around -10,000 DR or so).

I think part of the problem here is, no matter how wordy my posts are (sorry), I still can't seem to convey what I see going on in my head (its like the Far Realms, but MUCH scarier). Sometimes I am talking about cultures/ethnicites, and sometimes I am talking about Realms in a more modern sense. For an idea of my mental picture of the Ang-Mar people, look at the Wikipedia entry for History of India - it goes back 75,000 years (stone Age)! The culture I see spreading outward some 17,500 years ago in Kara-Tur would have started somewhere around Tabot (fitting, no?) and spread in all directions, thousands and thousands of years before even formal kingdoms appeared. Eventually, its 'Golden Age' ends with the Kaoang (placeholder name) Empire, and it butting-heads with early Imaskar (Nemrut Period).

EDIT:
Correction - The Maraloi are VERY much 'like elves'. Thus, I can turn them into Spiritfolk, who are half-fey. I think i discussed my plans for them elsewhere (that they are now 'Huldrafolk'). I only thought of the connection to the Mar last night. I am also going to bring in the Dark Elves, who would have 'changed' at -10K DR, and upset the 'balance of power' in the region. The Dark Elves (or rather, just plain 'elves' in the new 4e/5e nomenclature) would have been the last group left from the original Fey inhabitants. In fact, these pre-descent elves may have even had Eladrin among them (The Maviddi were Dark Eladrin?), and it would have been mostly these 'fey' that began crossbreeding with the Ang/Mar people. Once the descent curse hit, they had to get out of the sunlight, and built vast 'anthill like' colonies (Tsaparang fortress), before finally disappearing from the world of men.

You have to use pure canon for the Wiki, regardless if its incocnsistent or not. I don't have that issue - I can bend and twist things anyway I like to get it to all work out.

Which reminds me - I almost forgot. The 'story' about the Scouring of the Utter East in that vingette (NOT the entries themselves) is just that - a story told by a Mar, who could not have even been alive at the time. Thus, the 'story' is canon, but its veracity is not, its folklore.

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Nov 2017 19:20:07
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2017 :  19:33:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not even going to get into game mechanics for the simple reason that we won't all agree on edition, so I will politely bow-out of the talk about Incarnum, warlocks (which I HATE), or anything else that is too specific.

The only thing I like to do is call the northern (Faerūnian) Mages 'Wizards', and the southern magi 'Sorcerers', and let others define what I mean by that. The only thing I actual mean (in my own head) is that wizards use arcane magic, but sorcerers can access ANY type of magic, including divine. I do not like 3e's terminology for spellcasters - its too convoluted, and downright wrong (from folklore) in many cases. In 2e we just had Mages, and then 'practitioners of southern Magic', which I have been calling 'sorcerers' since then (and I never used the 3e sorceres, because they stomped all over that).

And to take it one step further (and even merge it a tiny bit with 3e mechanics), Wizards study spells. They study arcane formulae and practice somatic gestures. Think Harry Potter (Hogwart's) in this regard. Its all very regimented and full of obscure rules (that sometimes don't even make any sense). Sorcerers are the 'artists' of the magical world. They don't study - they 'befirend' a spirit (Familiar) and have it retrieve 'magical workings' for them. This really isn't so different than what priests do - they pray for a spell, and their diety fetches it for them... and sometimes not the one they want. All priests are doing is using gods as their 'Gen' (Zakharan version of a familiar). They are 'spellbeggers', as Vangerdehast calls them. However, despite their lack of studious nature, they have much greater versatility. Wizards represent LAW, and Sorcerers represent CHAOS. Neither is inherently good or evil.

And that's my take on things - with those two I do not need ANY other magic using class. EVER.

I don't really use psionics, but I would have to consider that a third type, and then connect all three to my Body, Mind, & Soul model. i suppose what I've created mirrors the old Rolemaster system. I always did love that one.

EDIT:
On the lords of Order:
We don't really need to flesh them out, since they're not around anymore, but I agree that their titles d have a bit of that 'Oriental' feel to them. I see them something like the Nine Travelers (elsewhere i discussed how these are actually a different group than the nine Immortals - but they have one guy in-common). Its basically the K-T concept of exarchs (Padhras, Chosen, etc - ascended mortals). i suppose these guys may have achieved that status naturally, through the reverence by their own peoples (plus, we were thinking about giving the whole thing an 'elemental/primordial spin', so...).

I like the idea Istishi was worshiped in the Realm of Tides, because she also had a following in the nearby Corsair islands (the new map I am putting together has those on it). The elemental Lords are easily tied to the Vedic pantheon (they just have other names for them, like Agni = Kossuth). thus, these 'Lords of Order' may have just been their god's 'voice on earth' (the head of their churches).

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Nov 2017 19:57:25
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2017 :  22:54:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bear in mind the ACTUAL definition of antediluvian. I know you're thinking like I do, and the second you hear antediluvian your mind goes "Elder Gods" and "Cthulhu". But it actually means a very ancient being/thing, so a simple primordial or "spirit being" CAN be antediluvian. Not that it has to be, and in fact there may be multiple buried things in this area of the world.... just like Eltab was buried in Eltabbar and there's demoncysts throughout the unapproachable east and Old Empires.

Definition of antediluvian
1:of or relating to the period before the flood described in the Bible
a : made, evolved, or developed a long time ago - ex. an antediluvian automobile - ex. that antediluvian relic known as a slide rule
b : extremely primitive or outmoded - ex. an antediluvian prejudice - ex. antediluvian in his politics

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2017 :  23:43:00  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now, if Tartyron IS still buried/trapped there, he may even be one of the 'lesser evils'. I think whatever deal he made turned him into a demon (it wouldn't be the first time a mortal became a fiend). In fact, maybe he released one evil into the world (I haven't even conjectured who/what that may have been - who was that demon that was playing with the Ilythiir Dark Elves? Maybe him?), and after he was defeated, he took that fiend's place in its former prison, sealed behind a Bloodforge himself.

-Wendonai

quote:

I am also going to bring in the Dark Elves, who would have 'changed' at -10K DR, and upset the 'balance of power' in the region. The Dark Elves (or rather, just plain 'elves' in the new 4e/5e nomenclature) would have been the last group left from the original Fey inhabitants. In fact, these pre-descent elves may have even had Eladrin among them (The Maviddi were Dark Eladrin?), and it would have been mostly these 'fey' that began crossbreeding with the Ang/Mar people. Once the descent curse hit, they had to get out of the sunlight, and built vast 'anthill like' colonies (Tsaparang fortress), before finally disappearing from the world of men.

-The Dark Elves were one of the earlier Elven groups to arrive from the Plane of Faerie to Toril, not the last. When Sharlario and Durothil left Tintageer, Dark Elves had already come and had an advanced settlement in Atorrnash.

quote:

-If the canon does not fit in well enough, I recall a Fiendish glacier realm in one of the later-era DRAGON magazines that was really awesome that could always be ported in. Ring a bell for anyone? Was something like a Demon that was frozen in a glacier, making it an 'infernal glacier' that teleported across the planes (was a tall tale for most?). May or may not have had those infernal Dwarf creatures.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 03 Nov 2017 23:50:53
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2017 :  02:53:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

I am also going to bring in the Dark Elves, who would have 'changed' at -10K DR, and upset the 'balance of power' in the region. The Dark Elves (or rather, just plain 'elves' in the new 4e/5e nomenclature) would have been the last group left from the original Fey inhabitants. In fact, these pre-descent elves may have even had Eladrin among them (The Maviddi were Dark Eladrin?), and it would have been mostly these 'fey' that began crossbreeding with the Ang/Mar people. Once the descent curse hit, they had to get out of the sunlight, and built vast 'anthill like' colonies (Tsaparang fortress), before finally disappearing from the world of men.

-The Dark Elves were one of the earlier Elven groups to arrive from the Plane of Faerie to Toril, not the last. When Sharlario and Durothil left Tintageer, Dark Elves had already come and had an advanced settlement in Atorrnash.
See? This is what I mean by "no matter how big I make my posts, there will still be miscommunication".

When I said 'bring in' I meant "into this homebrewed hodgepodge", not 'bring into the Realms'. I KNOW they've been in FR practically forever. I have long thought the Tsaparang Fortress was of Dark Elven origin, and now I am finally tying it into some stuff I am working on. I picture them being active not only all along the southern coast of Faerūn (Shining South), but all throughout the Old Empires (before they existed) and on up into Thay (which is actually canon)... and beyond. I think they had holding in the Taan region, especially since fey wouldn't even differentiate between different ethnicities of elves (because there may have still been a few surviving fey clusters in that area). By the time my theoretical 'Kao' (Kaomar) Empire was in decline, and the Imaskari were just beginning to feel a unified identity (quite some time before the word 'Imaskar' is ever used), even those small groups of 'leftovers' would have gone to Faerie themselves, or gone into hiding (living in very secluded areas).

The only remnant of that ancient culture would be those dark elves, before the decent curse sent them into hiding as well.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Nov 2017 03:46:50
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2017 :  03:44:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

bear in mind the ACTUAL definition of antediluvian. I know you're thinking like I do, and the second you hear antediluvian your mind goes "Elder Gods" and "Cthulhu". But it actually means a very ancient being/thing, so a simple primordial or "spirit being" CAN be antediluvian. Not that it has to be, and in fact there may be multiple buried things in this area of the world.... just like Eltab was buried in Eltabbar and there's demoncysts throughout the unapproachable east and Old Empires.

Definition of antediluvian
1:of or relating to the period before the flood described in the Bible
a : made, evolved, or developed a long time ago - ex. an antediluvian automobile - ex. that antediluvian relic known as a slide rule
b : extremely primitive or outmoded - ex. an antediluvian prejudice - ex. antediluvian in his politics
Except that Brian James was asked about this, and said he didn't mean it to mean "after the flood" (or any other such cataclysm), he simply meant 'truly ancient and horrifying' (Lovecraftian).

When in doubt, we used to go to the source. I notice we don't do that much anymore. Its more fun making up our own theories. LOL

And as I said, now that I've taken a fondness to obyriths and am respinning them a bit, an obyrith would probably be PERFECT, and since I am now considering turning Ravana (the King of the Raksasha) into an Obyrith, and I think he was imprisoned/in-hiding in the Yehimals for about 10K years, he's probably the perfect choice.

Mark's Homebrew
Originally, The Khasta were created by the primordials to help fight the celestials in the Dawnwar, who were fighting on the Estelar's side. These were basically 'empowered beasts' - beast that were first 'awakened' and then given the 'legendary beast' template. There were several different kinds. Thus, since the Prime Material was a near-infinite flat plane in those days, they had a nearly endless supply of troops.

The first Khasta created was by Zehir - known among men as 'Set' - and had a certain reptilian look about them (Khaasta). Others were also created, included the cat-like variety made by the primordial of The primal Hunt, Aslanobanion-Ubtao. After he/it switched sides, his 'troops' were without direction, and declared themselves 'neutral', and went to the Grey Wastes to ponder their next course.

When the Gods of Law began to loose ground in their war on Chaos, in desperation they called upon whoever they could find who were refusing to join the conflict. One such being was Meerclar, a minor beastlord of cat-kind. Ra approached her and asked if she could bring aid to their cause, and she told him she would bring him an army, if only he and the other Gods would allow her into their ranks. He agreed, and off to the planes she went, as is the way of her kind, sniffing and poking around in every little nook and cranny, until she discovered the despondent and bored Khasta. She came among them, and asked if they would follow her, for her form was beautiful, and much like their's. They laughed, and said, "what is in a form? We can take many, and they promptly began to do so, to show her their cleverness. Who is your leader, she declared? A large, monstrous Khasta sporting a ten-headed visage stepped up and said, "we Khasta have no true leaders, being born of chaos, but we do honor and heed the most powerful warriors among our kind. I am Ravana, and I am THE most powerful here."

"Then come with me", she said, "lead your fierce khasta in battle against the enemies of the Gods, and you shall be rewarded".
"We have no such need for rewards - we take what we want. But there is one thing we do enjoy, and that is to be left alone. Can you promise us this: if we fight for the Estelar, they swear to never hinder us in any way, no matter what we may do?"
"This I cannot promise, for only the warleader Ra may do so, so come with me, and we shall ask".

And so they went, Meerclar and Ravana, followed by an army of curious Khasta. Ra looked at them with disdain, as he heard their deal. Having just lost their most powerful ally - 'He who's name is now lost' - he was forced to accept their terms, but he made a condition. "You shall wear the forms you have forevermore. If you use magic to change, you will change back. If you are killed, severely injured, or knocked senseless, you will revert to this form. And the same must go for you, Mistress of cat-Kind. You shall be known among the gods as Bastet, the leader of my warriors, for you shall lead these into battle - my Khasta - Ra's Kasta (Rakshasa). And I swear on my honor, no god who takes the field in this war shall hamper or hinder you or yours, forevermore."

And the rest is history. The gods won, but at great cost. Ra's Khasta still go by that eponym (albeit, corrupted over the many, MANY millennia to just 'Rakshasa'). Meerclar remains Bastet (Baast), and she has become other things as well - always poking her nose in where it doesn't belong. Unlike other fiendish entities, the Rakshasa call the Prime Material home, which is a sore point among the Estelar. But the Gods kept their promise, even though at times they wished they had never made it - the Rakshasa go unmolested by those Gods that fought in the Dawn War. However, Ra was smart enough to say it in precisely that manner, and 'gods who came later' are free to pursue the Rakshasa if they so wish. Most just leave them be, though, for they have grown mighty unto themselves, and let mortals deal with this problem... mostly.

And as for Set - his Khasta were defeated. The war ended and they went to the lower planes. But he blames Baast for his defeat, and the two have been mortal enemies ever since. For it is Baast who still wears the title of 'Bastet', the leader of Ra's warriors, and it is she who must constantly remain vigilant against his machinations. Fortunately, she likes sticking her head in dark and creepy places; Ra could not have chosen better in this regard.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Nov 2017 18:25:25
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2017 :  08:59:23  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tartyron wasn't 'bound' the first time? Thats where I may be getting confused. The campaign starts off talking about 'The Past' - about how he was bound by the Lords of Order. I was think he was bound twice, but now I realize he simply turned on them the first time, LOST, ad then was bound. Some time later (centuries?), the campaign time period takes place, and he escapes his prison. Since the 'Lords of Order' are NOT around anymore during the campaign (else, why aren't they helping you? Or are they?), I think by the time of the Bloodforge Wars (in the GHotR) they were no longer a thing. I am just not seeing him as the 'antideluvian horror' the GHotR speaks of, though.

You're way confused. First off, in each story in the game, you have the option of playing one side or the other, usually good guys or the bad guys. Hence every story has two campaigns, and my wiki articles are usually divided to cover them separately. In the "Tartyron Unbound" story, you can play either as the Circle of Order or as Tartyron. The game says in the intro "And from this turmoil there arose primitive nations. When the lords of order ascended to govern east of the Great Sea," so they were there at the beginning in prehistory. And it's surely the same lords of the Circle of Order who appear in the campaign's timeframe some time later; the text of the game certainly implies it.

quote:

Are you implying they are immortal Because then you may be reading far more into it then I am.

I am indeed implying, but not reading anything more than the facts of the lore. What's more, I've realised that the Lord of Flame and the Lady of Tides, at least, are not only undying, but undead. Bear with me. When you start a mission, you're given victory and defeat conditions, accompanied by respectively happy and sad/angry/upset versions of your character's portrait. For all characters in the game, this doesn't change the appearance much, and they're still alive in the image. Except for the Lord of Flame and the Lady of Tides, who, in their defeat, are revealed as apparently undead beings: emaciated, grey skin, snaggle-toothed, yellow glowing eyes. (The Lord of Lands remains unchanged, oddly, he's probably better preserved.) These are surely their true forms. They might be archliches or the like.

These playthrough videos show the animations for the Circle of Order campaign.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVo_3h6vCKc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nmKtjlI0bo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3afBTXRwMsI

So, yeah, undead. Things just get weirder. These are meant to be the righteous orderly good guys, by the way. But then, we've already seen good, or at least non-evil use of undead in Aelric the Avenger's campaign in Doegan. Utter East undead are evidently not considered evil, which puts the idea of rampaging undead hordes in potentially a different light.

The later random missions of the Legendary Campaign don't mention the lords of the Circle of Order (but then, none of them call back to the prior campaigns), so it's very possible they were deposed or destroyed in the war with Tartyron, and petty tyrants arise in their place, and the Realm of Lands fragments into what we later know as the Free Cities of Parsanic. They were probably already much reduced in the Ffolk and Northman colonisation/conquest.

In any case, meet the lovely Lady of Tides and her Realm of Tides with its exotic sunken pyramids:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Lady_of_Tides
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Realm_of_Tides

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2017 :  18:56:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I think I get it now. I realize the lore is taken from two different (and sometimes conflicting) PoV's.

I am having a HARD time merging the Vedic-pantheon thing we have going on (which is a GREAT fit) with these guys being undead. How about 'Undying' instead? We have evidence of just such a thing nearby -
quote:
Tiger's Nest
Hidden on the southern slopes of the A-Ling Shan, this old fortress exists where none should be — across the impassable Jumpa Chasm on the cliffs of the untracked Yehimal. In short, there is no way to reach the Tiger’s Nest or to have built it where it stands, short of magic. This is, of course, precisely how the Tiger’s Nest was built.
Ages past, the Tiger’s Nest was an independent monastery. The monks and priests who dwelt there were good, and abhorred the excesses and cruelties of the Imaskari Empire. From their stronghold, the priests did all they could to defy the might of the ancient wizards, countering evil magic with powerful clerical spells. Carefully concealing the location of their fortress, they aided the peasants and thwarted the attempts of the Imaskari governors. The priests became famous as the Invisible Tigers and their fortress became known as the Tiger’s Nest.
In the end, Imaskari fell, though the efforts of the Tiger’s Nest had little to do with it. For a time, it seemed that the defeat of the Imaskari would spell the doom of the Invisible Tigers. Without an
enemy to rail against, many of the priests abandoned the fortress to carry on their good works elsewhere.
Not all left. A handful remained behind to perfect their arts. These devoted few purged their lives of all corruptive influences — meat, tea, talk, women, eventually even breathing were forbidden. Somehow, on their faith alone, the Invisible Tigers survived.
Now these former priests have become more than human. Their extreme existence has given them incredible powers. Completely dedicated to the struggle against evil, the Invisible Tigers still venture
from the fortress to carry on the struggle.

Canon from The Horde boxed set. They are ascetics, an old concept that goes back to the 2e Legends & Lore in D&D; they are sort of like mystic monks, so they can attain that final level of 'perfect body' and be Immortal. They are in the section of the Indian Mythos, BTW, so they are PERFECT for what we are doing here. As Undying, they are immortal, however they would still show outward signs of aging, albeit slowly. After a couple of thousand years, they'd look like undead because of the aging, but they wouldn't actually BE undead.

'Undying' itself was introduced in 3e Eberron - it was basically a way of having something that seemed very much like undead but wasn't actually undead (because mechanics - 3e also got rid of the concept of 'undead through positive energy', which mummies used to be). So they brought back the idea of undead that didn't have the negative-energy connection, by calling them Undying. Splitting hairs, I know, but it makes far more sense for the Vedic connections we are trying to establish here for them. Its also something that is prevalent in a lot of Asian folklore (including our own K-T lore).

And thanks to this post, I now recall the Tiger's Nest guys - a group of guys named after predatory cats, in the same mountain range I stuck my entrapped Raksasha. I think I may have found where Vibhishana has been hanging out.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2017 :  19:11:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I think we need to make the Earth Guy a casualty, for no other reason then we need to paint Tartyron as being pretty damn evil - he was friends with these people before he turned on them. It (your Wiki entry) says that he attacked Earth first, so I have to assume that was his intial 'sneak attack', and that would be the best place to stick our major casualty (because in RL, people actually die - this ain't no Shonen Jump anime ).

So the Ang-Mar expand west, across the Yehimals (via Langdarma, and later, 'across the top' through Guge). They establish their culture throughout the Utter east. I hadn't pictured them being so all-pervasive, but I am starting to see how that should be. This may actually help in other ways - I can now place the arrival of the Dgen in Calimshan in my Zakharan timeline in the appropriate spot, instead of fudging stuff with time-travel (not my idea - I believe that was actually hinted at in sources... maybe). That gives me a thousand-year window to play with between the founding of Imaskar and the collapse of the Genie Empires to the south.

Thus, instead of having 'ebil Zaharan Bedine' (Bedouins) invading the peaceful Mar lands, I may spin it that the Ang-Mar themselves expand into the uE, and then went both north AND south... down into Zakhara. Thus, the Zakharans would actually be a branch of that ethnic group (and makes it even more real-worldish). They weren't attacked by the Bedine, they WERE the Bedine (back then, anyway). 10K years is plenty of time for an ethnicity to spread all over the place, and Zakhara's (non-folklore) history only goes back about a thousand years.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Nov 2017 19:27:20
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2017 :  01:09:15  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Oh, yeah, I read that wrong.

-I've forgotten so much; so much of this sounds familiar, but it's no longer in the memory banks.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2017 :  01:25:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Tartyron wasn't 'bound' the first time? Thats where I may be getting confused. The campaign starts off talking about 'The Past' - about how he was bound by the Lords of Order. I was think he was bound twice, but now I realize he simply turned on them the first time, LOST, ad then was bound. Some time later (centuries?), the campaign time period takes place, and he escapes his prison. Since the 'Lords of Order' are NOT around anymore during the campaign (else, why aren't they helping you? Or are they?), I think by the time of the Bloodforge Wars (in the GHotR) they were no longer a thing. I am just not seeing him as the 'antideluvian horror' the GHotR speaks of, though.

You're way confused. First off, in each story in the game, you have the option of playing one side or the other, usually good guys or the bad guys. Hence every story has two campaigns, and my wiki articles are usually divided to cover them separately. In the "Tartyron Unbound" story, you can play either as the Circle of Order or as Tartyron. The game says in the intro "And from this turmoil there arose primitive nations. When the lords of order ascended to govern east of the Great Sea," so they were there at the beginning in prehistory. And it's surely the same lords of the Circle of Order who appear in the campaign's timeframe some time later; the text of the game certainly implies it.

quote:

I am indeed implying, but not reading anything more than the facts of the lore. What's more, I've realised that the Lord of Flame and the Lady of Tides, at least, are not only undying, but undead. Bear with me. When you start a mission, you're given victory and defeat conditions, accompanied by respectively happy and sad/angry/upset versions of your character's portrait. For all characters in the game, this doesn't change the appearance much, and they're still alive in the image. Except for the Lord of Flame and the Lady of Tides, who, in their defeat, are revealed as apparently undead beings: emaciated, grey skin, snaggle-toothed, yellow glowing eyes. (The Lord of Lands remains unchanged, oddly, he's probably better preserved.) These are surely their true forms. They might be archliches or the like.

These playthrough videos show the animations for the Circle of Order campaign.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVo_3h6vCKc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nmKtjlI0bo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3afBTXRwMsI

So, yeah, undead. Things just get weirder. These are meant to be the righteous orderly good guys, by the way. But then, we've already seen good, or at least non-evil use of undead in Aelric the Avenger's campaign in Doegan. Utter East undead are evidently not considered evil, which puts the idea of rampaging undead hordes in potentially a different light.

The later random missions of the Legendary Campaign don't mention the lords of the Circle of Order (but then, none of them call back to the prior campaigns), so it's very possible they were deposed or destroyed in the war with Tartyron, and petty tyrants arise in their place, and the Realm of Lands fragments into what we later know as the Free Cities of Parsanic. They were probably already much reduced in the Ffolk and Northman colonisation/conquest.

In any case, meet the lovely Lady of Tides and her Realm of Tides with its exotic sunken pyramids:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Lady_of_Tides
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Realm_of_Tides

This puts the concept of "spirits" that occupy bodies into play. Maybe these undead are simply ancestor spirits "possessing" recently dead bodies to come back and protect their homelands

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2017 :  02:28:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aelrick was a necromancer (in one pic, he almost looked a little 'vampiric', with his bat & wolf motif). I think I had connected him (his 'order', of which he was the last) to Nog and Kadar, and thus to Sahu (the Isle of Necromancers) further south. Not sure if I want to do that any more - I need to re-read the Ruined Kingdoms stuff. It might be more practical to connect the order to Bhaluin somehow. The new map has moved the Serpent Valley very far north, so its really not far outside Imaskar's lands.

The 'flavor' I got from the Sahu (Complete Book of Necromancers) material was a similar vibe as the country the Jakandor setting takes place in, with people using undead for menial tasks, like slaves (that you don't have to take care of or feed). Not really good, but more like lawful neutral. Aelric also seems that type - he has no problem with using undead, but he isn't the bad sort, either. Perhaps the son of the last Lord of Flame? He has the same bad fashion sense.

So while trying to find some sort of 'Eastern' vampire to make this guy, I came across the Jiangshi, which was basically just a zombie, unless certain things happened. Asians have a thing about being buried in their hometowns (according to Wikipedia), and when someone gets buried elsewhere, the family hires a sorcerer to go fetch the body back. The sorcerer does this by digging up the body and writing a spell on a piece of paper and sticking it to the corpses forehead. The corpse then animates and walks back to its hometown... a sorcerer can lead several of these home at once (so he can make one run and get paid for a few). If the paper falls off the corpse/zombie, or the sorcerer doesn't get paid and rips off the paper, the corpse 'goes berserk' (almost sounds like a classic golem), and will eat people and drink blood. The only reason why I am even mentioning this guy is because of the sorcerer connection - the families that did this couldn't afford to hire a cart to bring their dead loved one home.

Sooooooooo... sorcerers must work pretty damn cheap.

I also happen to totally love the flavor of this guy.

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Nov 2017 02:33:22
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2017 :  12:56:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm, so when you said you pictured Sahu as having undead like slaves... I had an immediate disconnect and figured I'd go reread the material. My mind remembered Thasmudyan as a devil lord/god of ghouls and cannibalism. However, it should be noted that the necromancer kings and Thasmudyan worshippers differed, and that the Thasmudyan worshippers were on the island first.

What I really took to notice though has to do with the fact that when I first read this supplement I knew next to nothing of Babylonian/Sumerian gods. I had been wondering if I should include Ereshkigal in the list of realms deities that are gone.... when I suddenly find the ruined city of Ereshkigal on the isle of Sahu. Given she is a goddess of the underworld and this is an island devoted to necromancers, I'm calling that this was once a home to her manifestation. Perhaps she separated herself from Nergal (because he was a d*ck) and didn't want to be around her sister Inanna (because they fought like.... um, sisters...). Perhaps Thasmudyan (noted as a baatezu lord) came along later and slew her for her divine spark.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2017 :  13:56:04  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a hilarious comedy.

quote:

I am having a HARD time merging the Vedic-pantheon thing we have going on (which is a GREAT fit) with these guys being undead. How about 'Undying' instead? We have evidence of just such a thing nearby -

Canon from The Horde boxed set. They are ascetics, an old concept that goes back to the 2e Legends & Lore in D&D; they are sort of like mystic monks, so they can attain that final level of 'perfect body' and be Immortal. They are in the section of the Indian Mythos, BTW, so they are PERFECT for what we are doing here. As Undying, they are immortal, however they would still show outward signs of aging, albeit slowly. After a couple of thousand years, they'd look like undead because of the aging, but they wouldn't actually BE undead.

'Undying' itself was introduced in 3e Eberron - it was basically a way of having something that seemed very much like undead but wasn't actually undead (because mechanics - 3e also got rid of the concept of 'undead through positive energy', which mummies used to be). So they brought back the idea of undead that didn't have the negative-energy connection, by calling them Undying. Splitting hairs, I know, but it makes far more sense for the Vedic connections we are trying to establish here for them. Its also something that is prevalent in a lot of Asian folklore (including our own K-T lore).

quote:

This puts the concept of "spirits" that occupy bodies into play. Maybe these undead are simply ancestor spirits "possessing" recently dead bodies to come back and protect their homelands

I had also thought of the Undying template from 3.x-edition Eberron and the Book of Exalted Deeds. I think it's a good fit.

I've made a Circle of Order article. Nothing new, but I did find a symbol for them. Make of it what you will. The Lord of Lands is associated somehow with the Mines of Mystery (sounds like a theme-park ride), which bolsters his earth-element theme.
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Circle_of_Order

Thomas M Costa created an unofficial 3.x update of the ascetic, as a prestige class called the roushi or ascetic, with a specific link to the Utter East.
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/prestige_classes.html
This ascetic doesn't attain true immortality, however, but does stop ageing, or suffering the effects of ageing.

BTW, The Horde CS, page 150, had this to be say about the Utter East: "Ulgarth and the lands south
are rumored to be strange regions, even more fantastic than the wonderful lands of the North. Valleys filled with gems, bodiless wizards, gods who live as men, and islands that sink and rise
again."

These may be garbled travellers' tales that predate any of this lore (and notably also predate Al Qadim, so it's not talking about Zakhara), but let's review. The "islands that sink and rise again" is surely the "floating islands" (mentioned in advertising for B&M) of the Realm of Tides; "gods who live as men" fits our idea of undying semi-divine Circle of Order / Lords of Creation, as well as the Sannyasi in Langdarma in Faces of Deception, both dwelling in the world among men. "Bodiless wizards" fits sleyvas's idea of possessing spirits.

quote:

And I think we need to make the Earth Guy a casualty, for no other reason then we need to paint Tartyron as being pretty damn evil - he was friends with these people before he turned on them. It (your Wiki entry) says that he attacked Earth first, so I have to assume that was his intial 'sneak attack', and that would be the best place to stick our major casualty (because in RL, people actually die - this ain't no Shonen Jump anime ).

I'm hesitant to call him Evil, despite his costume. The theme is order versus chaos, and Tartyron's philosophy has as many positive elements as negative, so I put him at a proper Chaotic Neutral. His victory is "Tartyron returned to his rightful place among the lords of east realms", so presumably they made up and the Circle accepted his chaos as a balance to their order.

Law versus Chaos is getting to be quite a theme in the early Utter East, between the Circle of Order and the lawful Lords of Creation, as well as the Sannyasi (a LG movanic deva) of Langdarma and the devils in Faces of Deception, on the one hand, and, um, Tartyron, Lord of Chaos, on the other. It's almost Moorcockian. And Good versus Evil is already well represented in the rest of the Realms.

A lack of focus on Good versus Evil permits undead to be treated neutrally. I'm reminded of Tantric practitioners that muck about with corpses on charnel grounds to unlearn aversions.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2017 :  17:01:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thomas M Costa created an unofficial 3.x update of the ascetic, as a prestige class called the roushi or ascetic, with a specific link to the Utter East.
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/prestige_classes.html
This ascetic doesn't attain true immortality, however, but does stop ageing, or suffering the effects of ageing.
Well, this is slightly different type of ascetic, almost like a 'Chosen (exarch) of a philosophy'. However, I think that because of the war, and/or their acceptance of Tartyron back into their ranks, they had become 'corrupted' by chaos, and hence lost their 'template'; maybe not Earth, but the other two - I picture them losing their 'ascetic' PrC because of all the chaos that happened. The Earth Guy seems to have been attacked first (in the one campaign), so I would spin it that the 'powers that be' found him "innocent of the taint of Chaos", so he manages to keep his ascetic (Exarch of order) template.

I can't believe we are building lore around the way some pics in an old VG look, but its fun.

quote:

BTW, The Horde CS, page 150, had this to be say about the Utter East: "Ulgarth and the lands south
are rumored to be strange regions, even more fantastic than the wonderful lands of the North. Valleys filled with gems, bodiless wizards, gods who live as men, and islands that sink and rise
again."

These may be garbled travellers' tales that predate any of this lore (and notably also predate Al Qadim, so it's not talking about Zakhara), but let's review. The "islands that sink and rise again" is surely the "floating islands" (mentioned in advertising for B&M) of the Realm of Tides; "gods who live as men" fits our idea of undying semi-divine Circle of Order / Lords of Creation, as well as the Sannyasi in Langdarma in Faces of Deception, both dwelling in the world among men. "Bodiless wizards" fits sleyvas's idea of possessing spirits.
I had always thought most of that was about Zakhara, but I checked the publication dates (1990, 1992) and you are right. The 'bodiless wizards' thing sounds 100% like Tan Chin, who was "just to the south". However, there could have been others, and I am almost tempted to connect this circle of order to him - he'd actually be a really good fit for a group that believes the 'rule of Order' outweighs personal freedoms (amoral, iron-fisted, lawful ruler). That kind of paints Tartyron as a 'Joker' like character (an anarchist in culture of arch-conservatives).

I'm not really undertsanding what happened there with taryron at the end - he was never bound?

quote:

Law versus Chaos is getting to be quite a theme in the early Utter East, between the Circle of Order and the lawful Lords of Creation, as well as the Sannyasi (a LG movanic deva) of Langdarma and the devils in Faces of Deception, on the one hand, and, um, Tartyron, Lord of Chaos, on the other. It's almost Moorcockian. And Good versus Evil is already well represented in the rest of the Realms.

A lack of focus on Good versus Evil permits undead to be treated neutrally. I'm reminded of Tantric practitioners that muck about with corpses on charnel grounds to unlearn aversions.

I'd agree with all of this. As I've said earlier, the first time around with this material I hadn't really grasped the full extent of how pervasive Mar culture may have been here. I had pictured our Indianesque culture down below Malatra (Dweepam), even, and having spread north. Now I think it may have originated far closer to the Hordelands, like around Guge, or Tabot. That small region just below Tabot used to be called Phutan (its in the Tabot material), and would probably be a great place to put the initial cultural 'outward push'.

New Stuff:
Because of that, I've been delving back into the Mahasarpa material, and sometimes things are serendipitous. The past two days (I've been very busy RW taking my son around to look at cars to buy) I've been trying to fit the Ruined kingdoms map into my new Utter East map, and I just couldn't get it to work out. I had put it aside, and then this morning tried again, with a different approach, using the Zakhara map as a base. I'm actually embarrassed - ALL THIS TIME I had though Nog & Kadar were located in the Sempadan, but they WEREN'T. They actually are right next to Sahu. What I had thought was the coast of the Sempadan forest meeting the Segara Sea was actually located MUCH further south this whole time (there is a very 'squiggly' river in both regions that threw me off - I kept thinking it was the same river).

So, having just come from doing that, and almost immediately following that up with a look at the Mahasarpa map I haven't looked at in a few years, I realized THAT would be a PERFECT fit for the Sempadan region. I'm talking IDEAL. Where I had it - over on the western coast of dweepam was a fudged-adaption. No such adaption of the map or lore would be necessary by sticking it in that region between the Yakmen kingdoms and the Larang Valleys region - its literally a huge, empty jungle between two fairly well detailed areas.

What do you guy think about that idea?

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Nov 2017 06:34:37
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2017 :  01:27:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to note too.... it could be that these various "Lords" are actually something akin to Chosen of the elemental lords or leaders of powerful cults in their names. I note the following

Markustay brought this up the other day
Long before the reign of the First Grand Caliph (which I believe means back before the AQ timeline even begins, about a thousand years ago), the Corsair Domains were called the "Isles of Fear", and were home to "a terrible cult which worshiped an elemental water god called Istishia".

Obviously, I'm leading into the concept that the Lord of Flame would be a cultist/chosen of Kossuth.

Then we know that somewhat nearby the Geomancers were ruling in the Nogaro River Valley sometime in the past. They were big on glyphs, and we have this concept that when Tartyron is "resealed away" it has some glyphs involved. Depending on timing, it may be that these geomancers travelled to Zakhara either before or after the bloodforge wars (i.e. maybe THEY are the reason that the Zakharans came over to the Utter East to wipe out this threat when they heard from some of their cultists in the Utter East). It should be noted that the geomancers were also ajami wizards (i.e. they used magic of the type used in Faerun with schools of magic). These Geomancers could also have been a group that broke away from the circle of order. Thus, this grouping of the circle of order may have broken away long ago, and thus this is why there's only a Lord of Tides (water), Lord of the Land (wood), Lord of Flame (fire).... because the "Lord of Stone" took his geomancers down to Zakhara maybe after he helped them seal away Tartyron long ago (having had a falling out with the other members of the circle of order).

Which comes back to Tartyron, "the Lord of Chaos", as still being a "Lord" of Metal. Maybe he even followed a powerful primordial entity called Telos? I wonder, might he have tried a ritual meant to "draw power" to Telos... or something similar... and infused him with energy from the "plane of negative energy". Hmmm, maybe he even infected some of the other lords with negative energy? I think I have a little bit of a story here... it needs tweaking...

Still going down the path that the other members of the Circle of Order

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2017 :  03:35:28  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd agree with all of this. As I've said earlier, the first time around with this material I hadn't really grasped the full extent of how pervasive Mar culture may have been here. I had pictured our Indianesque culture down below Malatra (Dweepam), even, and having spread north. Now I think it may have originated far closer to the Hordelands, like around Guge, or Tabot. That small region just below Tabot used to be called Phutan (its in the Tabot material), and would probably be a great place to put the initial cultural 'outward push'.

-For what it's worth, archeologists believe that Tibet was first populated by immigrants coming from areas to the north (the Dzungar and Tarim Basins of Xinjiang AKA East Turkestan). Different worlds, but the topography is kind of the same, with the Yehimals being the Himalayas and yada, yada, yada, it would seem to make more sense that, if the opposite happened and people and culture were leaving, they'd move the opposite way (the path of least resistance)- in the direction of the Arakin, Kao Shan, and Chu Yuan provinces of Shou Lung, Fengnao province of T'u Lung, Petan, and Malatra. Of course, magic changes things a bit in that now people/groups can completely bypass stuff like impenetrable mountains, but...

-Also, was it Faces of Deception you mentioned as never being able to find it reasonably priced? If so, eBay has a listing for $4.00.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 06 Nov 2017 03:37:32
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2017 :  06:32:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, then, I should get that. Is that one of the the Double-Diamond books?

As for Tibet/Tabot - they did run into resistance - the Haltai people were emigrating from the island kingdoms to the coast, and the Cortai people were migrating outward from the Taan region (some went straight west, and became the proto-tethyrians, proto-Talfir, and proto-Chondathans). Amnother branch of Cortae (Issa-Cortae) headed east, but eventually were squeezed between south-migrating Gur and west-migrating Haltain (FR-Asians), and were forced into the far north (Ama Basin).

Facing several different groups of warlike barbarians to the north, they found it was easier to just migrate around the Yehimals (down through the Sempadan from Tempat Larang, and up and around Guge), and eventually, they even found a way to cross directly through the heart of the mountains (Langdarma). There were Saurials (lacerials) in the Maltra region, and also a large population of Yuan-ti (and several different types of beastfolk, including at least three different varieties of 'apemen') in the jungles, but they just migrated through and around them into the Dweepam and Maltra regions (its a HUGE area).

Mountains never stopped people, not even our RW Himalayas. I'm thinking something similar to the Indo-Aryan culture of Earth, which spread outward from India into the Pakistan/Afghanistan regions, right on into the Middle east (pre-Sumerian, Babylonian, and Persian). Thus, they are a great template for own pre-culture in K-T.

The Realms of Order:
My spin on the Order guys is that they were religious AND civic leaders for the Vedic pantheon in the Ue region, and they each had a different patron (Vasu), associated with the elements - Agni (fire), Prithvi (Earth), Vayu (Air), and Varuna (Water). These would just be AngMar (FR Vedic) aspects of the four elemental lords we know. BTW, Chandra would make a great pre-split Selūne/Shaar (ya know, before she went all wack-a-doddle and became two people).

However, because of the whole 'Order' thing, the Mar lived in peace and tranquility for thousands of years. When aggressives outlanders showed-up (the fflok and northmen), they no longer even knew how to wage warfare. This was what Tartyron was trying to teach them - the Mar people had grown docile and unambitious because of their easy-going culture. Tartyron figured out that 'strife' was a necessary element else life becomes stagnant. Although the surviving lords may have learned the lesson, by the time those 'barbarians' showed up they had forgotten it again.

And now here I am, reconsidering putting the creation of the Bloodforges ('Lifeforges') on the Vedic gods. I feel like I am going through all the same thought processes I did a decade ago. Five(?) 'cornucopia-like' devices that gave the people everything they needed (food, clothing and shelter), and then Tartyron got disgusted with the whole thing and figured out how to get his 'Forge' to do other stuff. I suppose its tragic he was defeated and returned to his place, because in the end, he was right. The Mar people had become 'sheep'.

Someone used the term 'Moorcockian' earier - thats also a good way to picture it. In the Elric books, Elric had traveled to a world where 'Law won', and it was a boring, grey wasteland (no life). Life needs Chaos (strife) to grow and flourish.

Anyhow, the Mar got 'pushed out of the way' (like Native Americans) as the new settlers stole all their land (among worse atrocities). Mar survived in rural 'pockets' that no-one wanted to bother with, and also the Vanesci hamlet (which no-one wanted). The last vestige of the 'Realm of Lands' was in the far north, on the border of Ulgarth, and there the descendents of the Lords of the Lands each held one city, dedicated to their elemental gods (which became their civic deities). The only reason why they were left unmolested in that region was the same as elsewhere - it was rather poor soil, enclosed by mountains (filled with monsters), and it had nothing of value. Today this area is know as the Parsanic League, and it survives by trade*, but it is now a cultural mix - very few 'pure' Mar remain.

*Goods coming up overland from Zakhara usually wind up here, before they are 'shipped out' to the rest of Faerūn. By the same token, items that are valuable down in Zakhara also pass through here. Apparently, most 'normal folks' don't like to stop at Doegan or Koenigheim - the strange people in those countries make everyone nervous. Now that the Corsairs have become 'civilized' (in the past century or so... but not really), more trade is findings its way north and south by boat, and the Parsanic League is currently struggling to keep itself relative. They've begun to delve into mining - something that has been taboo since before the Bloodforge Wars, and a few veins of copper, iron, and even gold have been found. Experts feel that even greater wealth can be found if they go deeper, but as of yet they have stayed fairly close to the surface. The mountain monsters are not as bad as they once were, but they also still present a problem form time to time (adventure!)

I have some cool stuff planned for the Parsanic League, both dark and whimsical at the same time (so kinda creepy, as well). First off, they hire Minotaur mercenaries through nearby Esbresh, and those troops have been the main reason the monster population in the mountains has gone way down. The cities are like varying degrees of Luskan, except run by corrupt priesthoods rather than Wizards and Pirate Lords. In fact, they HATE pirates (although in the City of Tides, the authorities will look the other way for pirates that pay homage to Varunae (Istishia) - in other words, give the church a big, fat 'tithe'. The other cities are starting to catch on to this practice, so its just a matter of time before things come to a head (another war?)

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Nov 2017 06:58:36
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2017 :  07:05:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Telos is too far away to connect to the Ue - I'd rather give them their own primordial. Or maybe just Ravana is good enough (if we spin him as an obyrith like I want). I have some good, old lore I wrote about the mountains and the Raksasha a long time ago - I have to rewrite all that (I even bring the Arcane {Mercane} into the mix). Then maybe a couple of other powerful demon lords, but not archfiends. One 'big bad', and maybe a couple of lieutenants (not every Bloodforge should have something sealed-away behind it - a couple should still be left hidden somewhere that aren't 'busy'). In fact, Redfang should probably be a lieutenant that didn't get 'locked away' (or maybe he escaped during the last BF War). I suppose Ysdar(?) can be another, once I know more about him, but not everything in the uE needs to be connected to the Forges.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Nov 2017 16:11:23
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2017 :  13:36:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Telos is too far away to connect to the Ue - I'd rather give them their own primordial. Or maybe just Ravana is good enough (if we spin him as an obyrith like I want). I have some good, old lore I wrote about the mountains and the Raksasha a long time ago - I have to rewrite all that (I even bring the Arcane {Mecane} into the mix). Then maybe a couple of other powerful demon lords, but not archfiends. One 'big bad', and maybe a couple of lieutenants (not every Bloodforge should have something sealed-away behind it - a couple should still be left hidden somewhere that aren't 'busy'). In fact, Redfang should probably be a lieutenant that didn't get 'locked away' (or maybe he escaped during the last BF War). I suppose Ysdar(?) can be another, once I know more about him, but not everything in the uE needs to be connected to the Forges.

Yeah, even after I wrote Telos, I thought.... hmmm, maybe someone else, similar but different. That way he could have been freed but then somehow "captured" and mined against his will. My first thoughts were to have his body be made up of a metal/rock mixture like magnetite rather than a pure metal. Not sure of all the uses, but my first thoughts center on electricity via some kind of electromagnet OR some kind of "natural" recording nature. Naturally, maybe they can make some kind of limited use magic item introducing magnetism. Then of course, there is the fact that magnetite is primarily iron.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000