Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What if the Abeir / Toril "out of synch" is TIME
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  21:09:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Oh, but this tale its highly maleable. It seems is not connected with the Original Sundering, as well. It happened over the eons, and before there was life in the planets. So, potentially before and during the Blue Age, eons before the Days of Thunder. So, eons before Asgorath threw an ice moon to Abeir-Toril, forcing Ao to separate the worlds.

Give a pair of hours, and I can reconcile this with all the Dawn War lore.
I hadn't really thought about putting it BEFORE the Dawn War, or any of the other 'core lore'. I suppose I may have been looking at it the wrong way, which is that 'core' (D&D) supersedes 'setting'. That info about the Core/PS/Great Ring Cosmology had to have taken place BEFORE anything setting-specific, which Selūne and Shar are. However, the official (canon) rule has always been (at least, in the TSR days) that 'setting' lore overruled 'generic' (core) lore.

I had always assumed the universe came first, and all that implies, and THEN the individual worlds appeared (Crystal spheres), and THAT is when Selūne and Shar must have come into being (especially if we factor-in the weirdness of the Shadvari, and the fact that one of them appeared in a novel!)

But just because they fought in Realmspace (and they DID fight in Realmspace - the evidence is everywhere) doesn't mean they started there. in fact, it could be the place called 'Realmspace' was just another area in the endless plane (First World/Prime Material) - it was 'Ground Zero' for that particular battle (which I still think was part of the greater 'Godswar'). And now its its own world/sphere, but it wasn't necessarily always like that.

And the more I think on it, the more I think that one Shadvari could have been related to the Batrachi, or other 'Lovecraftian' entities. It could just be a generic term for those creatures which dwelled in the primordial soup before the universe was spawned from it. Slaadvari? I could make that work...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Aug 2017 21:11:27
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  21:29:56  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

The cake is a lie! LOL sorry, couldn't resist.

Not just the Cake; the pie has been misleading you, and the parfait can't be trusted. I think the jello is okay... just don't turn you back on it.

As for an 'afterlife' being a form of 'imprisonment' - just because its enjoyable doesn't mean it isn't still being a prisoner. And besides, if I went to the afterlife my (former) church told me about, I think I would find both the company and music (harps?) rather boring after a very short while. In fact, every 'interesting' person I've ever known is probably going to 'that other place'. I could be a die-hard, tree-hugging Druid, but after a few millennia in Arboria I would never want to see another tree again. Just my opinion, of course. I kind of liken 'afterlives' and religion to being born in citizen of a country, except at least you get to choose 'which country' you want to be a citizen of... forever, and ever, and ever (even after death - they even keep the body LOL). You know what the difference is between true freedom and imprisonment? You don't have to ask someone else for permission to leave. Heaven is just a prettier jail, is all. You can't ask 'God' if you can have a 'holiday in Hades' just for a change of pace.

LOL I see your point and respect it, even if I don't entirely agree. I'm actually not that religious IRL (I guess you could say I'm spiritual, and I know there have been arguments about the difference--or lack thereof--between the two, but yeah). I just like the idea of an afterlife, both IRL and in fictional settings (in part because I'm a sap, and if nothing else, it lessens the pain of character deaths just slightly lol). Of course, this is just my opinion.

I think that, with death (flesh and blood death), things like "boredom" no longer apply, because then yes, there could be real problems if a bunch of bored, restless spirits/souls were in the gods' domain lol. It's the same principle as letting go of bad memories and negative emotions once you "pass on" (and those who can't are more likely to remain behind as ghosts). Or how things like jealousy (if you've had multiple lovers in your life, and they all meet in X gods' domain, for example) cease to matter to most spirits/souls. This doesn't mean you are stripped of every emotion/feelings or thing that makes you you, it just means certain emotions/feelings are no longer relevant.

Also, while I haven't read anything to back this up, in the Realms at least, I would imagine that the portals connecting the domains of allied deities would allow for spirits/souls to visit "neighboring" domains for limited amounts of time. I could be wrong, of course.

I don't really think of it as a prison, because if it were that way, then there could be some serious issues lol. It depends on the domain, but certain places--I will use Arvandor as an example--are described as places of unimaginable beauty, and few who enter want to leave. But, elves also believe in reincarnation, so, after a time (length varies), they may choose to be reincarnated in "flesh and blood" form, though they may or may not come back as an elf.

Sweet water and light laughter

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 07 Aug 2017 22:04:24
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  21:38:01  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh, but this tale its highly maleable. It seems is not connected with the Original Sundering, as well. It happened over the eons, and before there was life in the planets. So, potentially before and during the Blue Age, eons before the Days of Thunder. So, eons before Asgorath threw an ice moon to Abeir-Toril, forcing Ao to separate the worlds.

I hadn't really thought about putting it BEFORE the Dawn War, or any of the other 'core lore'. I suppose I may have been looking at it the wrong way, which is that 'core' (D&D) supersedes 'setting'. That info about the Core/PS/Great Ring Cosmology had to have taken place BEFORE anything setting-specific, which Selūne and Shar are. However, the official (canon) rule has always been (at least, in the TSR days) that 'setting' lore overruled 'generic' (core) lore.

Not sure if this changes anything, but with the onset of 5E, isn't FR now the 'core' setting?

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  21:45:14  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that "setting trumps over core in specifics, but core trumps over setting in generalities". The Dawn War seems to be a generality, because it happened in too many settings to be transformed into something that just happened in the Realms and wasn't connected to all other stuff. Specifically, the Nentir Vale world (renamed the Dawn War setting in 5e), the Realms and Dark Sun are specifically mentioned to be part of this multiversal war in Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, while settings like Greyhawk are indirectly tied, because of the Demonomicon sourcebook, that retconned all of that stuff of the obyriths in Fiend Folio, and the battle of Pesh (Miska and the Wind Dukes). So even more settings (even those that weren't brought back in 4e) may have been involved in this war retroactively, as well.

IHMO, one thing we have to do to reconcile conflicting lore, is that we have to separate the Sundering of the First World with the Sundering of Abeir-Toril (we need another word besides sundering...), because as I see it, are two different events.

So, the Shattering of the First World maybe is what in 4e parlance was the destruction of the Lattice of Heaven. The Lattice of Heaven is described as an "all-powerful" connection that... well, connected all before the Dawn War. The primordials destroyed it during the first stages of the war (I guess, this was the first battle, in fact), so this spot is perfect to say here is when the First World got shattered and the diverse D&D worlds began to exists.

So, the Shattering of the First World must have happened eons before this batrachi guy said "hey, what's the worst that can happen?" that fateful day in -31000 DR.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  21:46:47  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not sure if this changes anything, but with the onset of 5E, isn't FR now the 'core' setting?

No, the core setting in 5e is the "D&D multiverse" (WotC's words). FR is just the "selling setting" (as in, is the only one they are selling right know) but is not the main setting or something. Even all core products are neutral.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 07 Aug 2017 21:48:13
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  21:47:42  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Canonically, most--if not all--of this stuff is just mythology. The War of Light and Darkness--the Netherese creation mythology--is explicitly depicted in that way. The Dawn War appears to be a Dragonborn mythology, as there was no concept of the Dawn War until the Dragonborn arrived, and 4E lore explicitly makes the claim that the updated version of the popular creation mythology comes from the Netherese, the Dragonborn, and the Sarrukh.

I think the only absolutely factual claims that we can make about the time prior to the Tearfall is that the world had been around a long time, that there was probably an Ice Age of some sort prior to the Days of Thunder, and that Lord Ao was around. Pretty much everything else is educated guess work and out-and-out speculation.

As for Shar, Selune, and Mystra there is no evidence that I am aware of that has them around prior to the time of Netheril.

I think there is a real danger here of people going down false and misleading paths by trying to reconcile (and thus making factual) the various creation mythologies. It is entirely possible--even likely--that none of it happened, and if something even remotely resembling it happened it likely happened radically different than the people of the setting believe it happened.

A good case in point is the myth of Dendar the Night Serpent swallowing the sun. That probably did not happen. It is a complete myth. However, there may have been a natural Ice Age. Which is more likely? That a powerful being literally swallowed the sun, plunging the world into an age of darkness, sending the planet gravitationally hurling through space, or that the planet simply had an Ice Age due to natural (or magical) forces?
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  21:58:09  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing with the Dawn War is that happened in many worlds. So, if many worlds have recollections, myths and stories about it, is more fact than myth.

Here is what they said in Heroes of the Elemental Chaos (p. 32)

No one knows for certain how many primordials exist. Hundreds were spawned in the beginning of the cosmos, and many were slain in the Dawn War long before any tale of their names or deeds was recorded in the lore of mortals. Even the weakest primordials are monsters of terrible destructive power, capable of crushing all but the mightiest mortal heroes and laying waste to whole kingdoms. The greatest primordials are so strong that even the gods fear them.

The list presented here includes many primordials known primarily from their presence in the world of Abeir-Toril, and a couple found on the desert world of Athas. The Dawn War was a battle with many fronts, and Abeir-Toril and Athas suffered in the war of gods and primordials just as many other mortal worlds did. Whether these Abeiran (or Athasian) primordials are known in worlds beyond their home worlds is questionable; the existence of multiple primordials with similar natures and interests suggests that (unlike some gods) these beings are naturally concentrated or anchored to physical existence in one specific corner of the multiverse, and do not appear in multiple worlds.

So, its not a myth. Is something that happened (because it happened in many worlds, not just Toril), that is shrouded in myth. Just that people on Toril did not know about it, forgot about (either because time fades even legend, or because the gods didn't wanted mortals to know about this war), while the dragonborn and other Abeirans have had remembering those tales (because they were living with Primordials). And people in other worlds (such as Athas or the Nentir Vale's world) have recollections of this war as well.

The only ones oblivious about this fact (at least, until the Spellplague) were the Torilians...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 07 Aug 2017 22:01:21
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  21:59:34  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think that "setting trumps over core in specifics, but core trumps over setting in generalities". The Dawn War seems to be a generality, because it happened in too many settings to be transformed into something that just happened in the Realms and wasn't connected to all other stuff. Specifically, the Nentir Vale world (renamed the Dawn War setting in 5e), the Realms and Dark Sun are specifically mentioned to be part of this multiversal war in Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, while settings like Greyhawk are indirectly tied, because of the Demonomicon sourcebook, that retconned all of that stuff of the obyriths in Fiend Folio, and the battle of Pesh (Miska and the Wind Dukes). So even more settings (even those that weren't brought back in 4e) may have been involved in this war retroactively, as well.

IHMO, one thing we have to do to reconcile conflicting lore, is that we have to separate the Sundering of the First World with the Sundering of Abeir-Toril (we need another word besides sundering...), because as I see it, are two different events.

So, the Shattering of the First World maybe is what in 4e parlance was the destruction of the Lattice of Heaven. The Lattice of Heaven is described as an "all-powerful" connection that... well, connected all before the Dawn War. The primordials destroyed it during the first stages of the war (I guess, this was the first battle, in fact), so this spot is perfect to say here is when the First World got shattered and the diverse D&D worlds began to exists.

So, the Shattering of the First World must have happened eons before this batrachi guy said "hey, what's the worst that can happen?" that fateful day in -31000 DR.

Hmm... So the Dawn War and the stuff with the Primordials, all of that happened basically before the creation of the Crystal Spheres / Prime Worlds? Put another way, this would be a battle taking place across the planes--particularly the planes of the Astral Sea, Feywild, Shadowfell, and Elemental Chaos. Maybe even involving the Upper and Lower Planes as well.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  22:01:59  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

No, the core setting in 5e is the "D&D multiverse" (WotC's words). FR is just the "selling setting" (as in, is the only one they are selling right know) but is not the main setting or something. Even all core products are neutral.

Thanks for clarifying. That makes more sense, and explains why sourcebooks like the DM Guide mention multiple settings (don't actually have a copy yet, but I've seen it).

Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  22:06:32  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, its not a myth. Is something that happened (because it happened in many worlds, not just Toril), that is shrouded in myth. Just that people on Toril did not know about it, forgot about (either because time fades even legend, or because the gods didn't wanted mortals to know about this war), while the dragonborn and other Abeirans have had remembering those tales (because they were living with Primordials). And people in other worlds (such as Athas or the Nentir Vale's world) have recollections of this war as well.

The only ones oblivious about this fact (at least, until the Spellplague) were the Torilians...

We need to find some wiggle room here because this lore does not make much sense. Primarily because according to the canon, some Primordials (like Ubtao, Kossuth, and others) maintained links with Toril. Torillians also had extensive access to the planes, and numerous people had traveled them. It seems almost impossible that no one would know about the existence of Primordials until the Spellplague.

Is there some wiggle room somewhere? Is there any way for us to reconcile stuff so that it makes sense? Does any of this stuff even still apply in 5E since they changed the Cosmology (again!)?
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  23:02:12  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

We need to find some wiggle room here because this lore does not make much sense. Primarily because according to the canon, some Primordials (like Ubtao, Kossuth, and others) maintained links with Toril. Torillians also had extensive access to the planes, and numerous people had traveled them. It seems almost impossible that no one would know about the existence of Primordials until the Spellplague.

Is there some wiggle room somewhere? Is there any way for us to reconcile stuff so that it makes sense?

To do that, we have to see stuff from the perspective of the real life. And IRL, that was a retcon (a shoehorn, some will say) to the Realms in 4e because of executive meddling. IIRC, Hasbro wanted all the settings to be related in some form to the new core world of 4e (Nentir Vale) and WotC answered "we listen and obey".

So, the Dawn War is the creation myth of the Nentir Vale world, but they also wanted to include it in the Realms, that already was undergoing some revisions on its own for the new edition (the revision stuff is mentioned in an article in Dragon 370).

Ed came with a solution, a concept he had submitted to WotC a few years before 2008, that had been unused, but now was most useful: the "sleeping gods". They also re-purposed the concept of the "Seven Lost Gods" and the Elemental Lords, and that's how beings like Ubtao and Dendar (too alien to be normal gods) were retconned into new concept of the primordials of 4e.

The answer in-universe would be that people didn't knew about such stuff. Maybe a few sages from Candlekeep, or Elmister or your player character sage, but this wasn't common knowledge.

Ubtao, Kossuth, Grumbar are powerful beings, seem to be good friends with the gods, so maybe are gods. Better to pay respect (something to take into account is that they weren't affected by Ao's wrath in the ToT... so, at least the guy who retconned them to primordials did his homework).

So, they did not maintained links to Toril. They chose to remain on Toril, and the gods allowed them to stay (either because they helped the gods in the war/betrayed the other primordials, or because they abstained to fight). Other primordials, like Maegera, didn't wanted to go to Abeir, and preferred to go to sleep in forgotten lairs (and this is canon, is in an article about Gauntlgrym in Dungeon 183), and people didn't knew about their true nature.

Beings like Dendar and Kezef... those are demons, "elder evils", whatever so evil that better left alone or you will have a destiny worst than death. People didn't knew what they were even before 3e.

Until some dragonborn saw one of those in a book or something, and said "this looks like Karshimis, do you have primordials in this world too?". And at this point, with all the chaos created by the Spellplague, more common sages began to investigate, and the knowledge became more public than before.

quote:

Does any of this stuff even still apply in 5E since they changed the Cosmology (again!)?

As for the Cosmology, interesting enough, is that nothing changed.

The 5e DMG (chapter 2) says this:

No being in the multiverse can look down and see the planes in their arrangement the same way as we look at a diagram in a book. No mortal can verify whether Mount Celestia is sandwiched between Bytopia and Arcadia, but it's a convenient theoretical construct based on the philosophical shading among the three planes and the relative importance they give to law and good. Sages have constructed a few such theoretical models to make sense of the jumble of planes, particularly the Outer Planes. The three most common are the Great Wheel, the World Tree, and the World Axis [...]

And in twitter, Jeremy Crawford said this:

The inhabitants of each world in the Material Plane have different ways of imagining the multiverse (check out chapter 2 in the DMG).

(That's the same chain of tweets were he said that the D&D setting is the multiverse, btw).

So, all cosmologies are theories and imaginations made by mortal sages, none is real (not even the Great Wheel) and all are real at the same time. Talking about retcons...

So, to your original question, all of this still apply.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 07 Aug 2017 23:23:45
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  23:10:23  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, they're trying to include everything without actually establishing anything concrete. I almost wish they would decide one way or another, rather than saying "up to you!" all the time. I realize they are probably attempting to allow for more freedom, but...I like more established explanations, but that's just me. I know some probably like the more loosey-goosey approach.

And I really need to get my hands on the DMG. I should have bought it when I was looking through it at the book store.

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 07 Aug 2017 23:13:46
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  23:28:32  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, is a good way to please the majority of people, and avoid that dark age that were the Edition Wars.

If you like the Great Wheel use it, but if you like instead the World Axis, you can use that instead. You're no forced to use the Great Wheel, and none of them are truer than the other (or, as someone said, "All planar diagrams are equally incorrect.")

Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2017 :  00:29:39  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zeromaru X -

Ugh. That gives me a headache. LOL.

The frustrating part is that they want to have their cake and eat it too. I do not so much mind the, 'The Cosmos is complicated, mortals cannot fully understand it' mindset. It's things like having Asmodeus hurl the Abyss into the Elemental Chaos to end the Blood War, and then having the Blood War start up again that frustrates me. Or it is like having Shar be responsible for the creation of the Shadowfell. That stuff cannot be fixed with an 'it is whatever you want it to be!'

Then there is the whole issue of Toril being inhabited by numerous races from an untold number of different worlds. How many worlds have the Elves and Orcs colonized? None of them ever brought word of a primordial over, ever?

Like you said, we have to accept that there is a lot of retconning. However, I was hoping for a solution where we could just declare a whole bunch of stuff mythology and popular speculation. That then would give us space to smooth out the rougher edges of the retcons.

We still might be forced to go down that route, and have something like the lines of, "In recent years it has become popular among the most knowledgeable sages to believe..."

That way we are not technically overwriting anything regarding canon, we are just--um--smoothing stuff out and choosing to ignore all the bad patchwork jobs WotC did.

Soooo....

=====

Okay, so basically we have two major wars between deities and primordials that we need to account for... The first is the Dawn War which happened sometime early in creation. The second is the (unnamed) war that took place around Tearfall, resulting in the twinning of Abeir-Toril.

So, let's start with some basics. We are dealing with deities and primordials, but it is clear that Lord Ao is greater than both. However, we have no idea what Lord Ao is, and we know there are others like him--he even serves another who he views as a Master.

This means that if Lord Ao was around at the creation of Abeir-Toril, then so were these other beings. Does anyone have any idea who or what these beings are, or want to take a stab at an educated guess?

It seems that they serve some type of cosmic balance. They have the ability, at least judging from Lord Ao, to basically do whatever they want to deities and primordials within the Crystal Sphere that they govern. They seem to have complete control over the laws of nature and reality. The only thing that seems to hold them in check is the dedication to the cosmic balance. They do not require worship like deities.

Does anyone want to take a stab at it?
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2017 :  00:42:19  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Zeromaru X -

The frustrating part is that they want to have their cake and eat it too. I do not so much mind the, 'The Cosmos is complicated, mortals cannot fully understand it' mindset. It's things like having Asmodeus hurl the Abyss into the Elemental Chaos to end the Blood War, and then having the Blood War start up again that frustrates me. Or it is like having Shar be responsible for the creation of the Shadowfell. That stuff cannot be fixed with an 'it is whatever you want it to be!'

I don't mind it being "beyond mortal comprehension", either, I just want some sort of basis lol. Either pick a cosmology, or find a way to combine them. The "whatever you want it to be" approach just sounds cheap to me lol.

As to your other point...hmmm. Ao has some homies that have never been discussed lol. Maybe the multiverse is, in a way, itself a sentient being, and it is Ao's Master?

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2017 :  01:33:09  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beings that we know (in canon) that maybe are of the same level as Ao (and that we have to take into account because of the multiversal approach of 5e):

-High God from Dragonlance
-Tharizdun from Greyhawk (or at least, the home version of him in Gygax's home campaign. Note that this version of Tharizdun exists as a parallel version of regular Tharizdun in 4e)
-Io, in draconic mythology (he created the multiverse in their myths—and I'm not talking of Asgorath here)
-Eberron, Khyber, Siberys, dragons of the same level of Io in Eberron
-Demiurge, the "first cause" in the Nentir Vale's world.
-The Lady of Pain, potentially in this level as well.
-Jazirian and Ahriman, likewise.
-Mok'slyk, the Serpent (if exist)

The Master, the one who outranks those beings.

Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2017 :  01:37:48  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took a moment to go back to the final book in the Avatar Trilogy called Waterdeep. Here is how it ended.

quote:
As Ao watched Midnight and the other gods return home with their faithful, he felt a deep sense of relief. At last, his gods might start fulfilling the tasks for which they had been created.

The overlord was sitting cross-legged and alone, surrounded by a void so vast that not even his gods could comprehend it. Of all the states of being he could assume, this one was his favorite, for he was at once in time and disconnected from it, at once the center of the universe and separate from it.

Ao turned his thoughts to Toril, the young world that had consumed so much of his attention lately. Surrounded by a hundred planes of existence and populated by a variety of fabulous beings both sinister and benevolent, it was one of his favorite creations –and one that he had come close to losing, thanks to the inattentiveness of its gods.

But in two of its inhabitants – Midnight and Cyric – Ao had found the fabric of the Balance, and he had called upon them to right the world. Fortunately, they had answered his call and bound the fulcrum back together, but it had been a dangerous time for Toril. Never again would he allow his gods to threaten the Balance so severely.

Ao closed his eyes and blanked his mind. Soon, he fell within himself and entered the place before time, the time at the edge of the universe, where millions and millions of assignments like his began and ended.

A luminous presence greeted him, enveloping his energies within its own. It was both a warm and a cold entity, forgiving and harsh. “And how does your cosmos fare, Ao?” The voice was at once both gentile and admonishing.

“They have restored the Balance, Master. The Realms are once again secure.”

I also opened up Faiths and Avatars. Here is some stuff relating to Ao.

pg. 30:
quote:
Before the Time of Troubles, the question of who the gods answered to was a philosophical conundrum better suited to sages than priests. During the coming of the Avatars, however, it was revealed that the powers themselves had a deity, or at least a more powerful power who had the ability to chasten and punish them for their actions. This entity is Ao (AY-oh). He was present during the Time of Troubles, yet since that time has retreated to his home plane, dimension, or existence, and has not responded to mortal entreaties since (though one paladin claims to have seen him in a vision). While the inhabitants of the Realms are aware of Ao’s existence, there is little reason for them to call on him or seek his words of wisdom, which would be unforthcoming in any case.

Ao is the only over-power in Realmspace. Ao lies beyond the bounds of the rankings of deities’ powers in any way. He is considered to be more powerful than any other power and all powers combined. Ao has little concern for day-to-day mortal life, but he regards the powers of the Realms as his creations. He requires no worshipers and grants no spells to mortals. It is doubtful that he even listens to mortal prayers or pleas. He serves as a watcher and a guardian over the Realms from outside of its cosmos.

I also ran into an answer to an earlier question...

pg. 4:

quote:
Powers can come into existence in a number of ways. In the Realms, although some powers are described as being the children of other powers, these births seem to be more a convenient way to describe the relationships among deities than an actual method for new powers to come into existence. At least, no power is believed to have ever directly given birth to another while mortals were in existence. One power, Tyche, split into two deities, Beshaba and Tymora, and this occurrence has had precedent. When necessary, powers seem to be able to carve themselves into at least two separate pieces, with at least one of the parts becoming an entirely different being.

Long before the Time of Troubles, Ao evidently created some of the powers of the Realms, as well as the crystal sphere of Realmspace. However, he left the Realms powers to change and evolve for millennia untold before deciding that he needed to readjust the balance of the Realms and set in motion the events of the Time of Troubles.

During those millennia, the powers split themselves, gave birth, killed each other, raised sufficiently powerful mortals to godhood, and welcomed wave upon wave of emigrant powers, brought by waves of mortal emigration from other spheres, into their ranks. They were unchecked in their proliferation and self-destruction. Only after the Time of Troubles did Ao take an active part in the generation of new powers, the resurrection of dead Realms powers, and permission or denial of the emigration of multispheric powers into the Realms.

After the Time of Troubles, in order for a candidate for divinity to attain godhood, Ao must give his consent. He does this either formally in a presentation ceremony carried out beyond the eyes of mortals or informally by allowing a being to become a deity in the Realms. Usually a mortal attempts to become a deity through the accumulation of power, the use of arcane rituals, the use of artifacts, the sponsorship of an already-established power, or some combination of these. At some point in the process, Ao makes a decision. If that decision is “no,” the candidate does not become a deity.

Often in attempts to attain divine status through powerful rituals or the use of artifacts, failure (in the form of a tacit “no” from Ao) results in the mortal becoming a lich, being transformed into some other form of odd undead creature, or being totally destroyed. Usually if a divine power is involved in some sort of sponsorship of a candidate before Ao, a rejection means that the mortal either continues on in life, hoping to overcome whatever the cause of Ao’s rejection was and to be given a second chance, or passes on into the afterlife to become a powerful servant of the sponsoring deity in the Outer Planes. Ao is never obliged to explain his decisions.

In game terms, in order to even attempt an ascent into godhood, a mortal in the FORGOTTEN REALMS setting should have achieved at least level 25, have one attribute score of 21 or above, and have another attribute score of at least 19. She or he must then spend a great deal of time researching methods to attain divinity, come up with a plan for doing so, and confront great peril in order to execute that plan. The plan must always involve at least two of these three things: the performance of a specially researched ceremony or spell of elaborate complexity, great cost, and great personal danger; the use of an artifact; or the sponsorship of a deity.

If all of these conditions are met, the DM may, at his option, allow Ao to smile upon the attempt and elect to invest the character with demipower status. Characters granted such status become part of the culture’s pantheon. If they are player characters, they are removed from play and treated as a demipower from that point on.

Edited by - Aldrick on 08 Aug 2017 01:54:42
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2017 :  02:17:58  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Beings that we know (in canon) that maybe are of the same level as Ao (and that we have to take into account because of the multiversal approach of 5e):

-Tharizdun from Greyhawk (or at least, the home version of him in Gygax's home campaign. Note that this version of Tharizdun exists as a parallel version of regular Tharizdun in 4e)
-Io, in draconic mythology (he created the multiverse in their myths—and I'm not talking of Asgorath here)

After re-reading the ending of the Avatar Trilogy, I think it might be possible that...

1. Ao oversees multiple Crystal Spheres. The Realms is just one of them.

2. Ao's master created the Cosmos, then, in turn, created Ao and the other 'over powers' to oversee it, and keep the balance.

We know for certain, due to Faiths and Avatars, that...

3. Ao created Realmspace and some of the first deities of this sphere.

Let's return to what you quoted from Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, pg. 32:

quote:
No one knows for certain how many primordials exist. Hundreds were spawned in the beginning of the cosmos, and many were slain in the Dawn War long before any tale of their names or deeds was recorded in the lore of mortals. Even the weakest primordials are monsters of terrible destructive power, capable of crushing all but the mightiest mortal heroes and laying waste to whole kingdoms. The greatest primordials are so strong that even the gods fear them.

The list presented here includes many primordials known primarily from their presence in the world of Abeir-Toril, and a couple found on the desert world of Athas. The Dawn War was a battle with many fronts, and Abeir-Toril and Athas suffered in the war of gods and primordials just as many other mortal worlds did. Whether these Abeiran (or Athasian) primordials are known in worlds beyond their home worlds is questionable; the existence of multiple primordials with similar natures and interests suggests that (unlike some gods) these beings are naturally concentrated or anchored to physical existence in one specific corner of the multiverse, and do not appear in multiple worlds.

From this entry we can surmise the following:

1. There are no written records of the Dawn War, and thus much of the early creation is speculation.

2. There are Primordials on Abeir-Toril and Athas, but how they got there is not exactly known. The text deliberately leaves a lot on the table on purpose.

Okay, here is some speculation.

Maybe early in the creation, the being that is Ao's Master created the Cosmos. It was during this time that the Dawn War happened. Ao's Master then created the Over-Powers to oversee the Primordials and the Deities and to keep the Balance. Ao and other Over-Powers then created prime material worlds and banished some of the most dangerous Primordials there. They also created deities on these worlds. This way if things get out of hand the destruction is relegated to a single world or two.

The Dawn War continues on these newly created worlds. On Abeir-Toril the deities eventually win, imprisoning the Primordials, or co-opting them into allies. Happy days reign for awhile. Some bad stuff happens. Empires rise and fall. Then the Batrachi show up and threaten the world by awakening the imprisoned Primordials, resulting in the Tearfall, and the twinning/splitting of Abeir-Toril.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2017 :  13:56:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

History of the Sisters of Light and Darkness:

This was the birth of the world and the heavens. After Lord Ao created Realmspace, there was a period of timeless nothingness, a misty realm of shadows before light and dark were separate entities. Within the dim chaos stalked 13 lords of shadow, the Shadevari - whether their form came from elsewhere or are children of shadow itself, none can say.

Eventually this primordial essence coalesced into twin beautiful goddesses who where yin and yang to each other; there were so close they thought themselves as one being. The Two-Faced Goddess created the heavenly bodies of the crystal sphere and together infused them with life to form Earthmother, Chauntea. (Although Chauntea has since contracted her essence to encompass only Albeir-Toril, in the beginning she embodied all of the Realmspace.) This new universe was lit by the face of the silver-haired goddess, who called herself Selune, and darkened by the welcoming tresses of the raven-haired goddess, Shar, but no heat or life existed within.

Chauntea begged for warmth so that she could nurture life and living creatures upon the planets that were her body and limbs, and the two sister Who-Were-One, become divided, as for the first time they were of two minds. Silvery Selune constested with her dark sister over whether or not bring further life to the worlds. During this great conflagration, the gods of war, disease, murder, and death, among others, were created from residues of the Deific battle. At one point during the battle, Selune seized the advantage and reached across time and space to a land of eternal fire. Fighting the pain of the blaze, which burned her sorely, she broke off a fragment of that ever-living flame and ignited one of the heavenly bodies so that it burned in the sky and warmed Chauntea.

Incensed, Shar redoubled her attack on her injured twin and began to snuff out all light and heat throughout the crystal sphere. Again Selune gave of herself and tore the divine essence of magic from her body, flinging it desperately at her sister in defense of life in the sphere. This essence entered Shar, ripped an equal portion of energy from her, and reformed behind her as the goddess of magic, now known as Mystra, but then as Mystryl. Though Mystryl was composed of both-light and dark magic, she favored her first mother Selune initially, allowing the silver goddess to win an uneasy with her more powerful dark twin. Consumed by bitterness at her defeat, Shar vowed eternal revenge.

The twin goddesses contested for eons as life struggled into existence on Toril and the other planets under Chauntea's watchful gaze. Shar remained powerful, but bitterly alone, while Selune waxed and waned in power, often drawing strength from her allied daughter and sons and like-minded immigrant deities. Over time, Shar grew strong again, aided by the shadevari who preferred night to blinding light and who stalked the Realms seeking to meld light and dark into shadowy chaos once again. Shar's plot to reform the world after her own devices was undone when Azuth, the High One, formerly the greatest of all mortal spellcasters and now consort to Mystra, (incarnate successor to Mystryl), found a way to imprison the shadevari in a pocket-size crystal located beyond the edges of the world by creating the illusion of a realm of shadows. The Lords of Shadow were drawn to investigate, and before they discovered the trick, Azuth imprisoned the shadevari with the Shadowstar, a key of shadows forged by Gond. The High Lord then hurled the key into the endless reaches of the cosmos allowing life to flourish on in Chauntea's loving hands.

Just another thing to throw out there. I know some will say that Realmspace should be totally thrown out, but unless there's some reason to throw things out, I'm of a mind to let them stay. That being said, what I'm bringing that up for is the fact that the "stars" according to realmspace are just portals to the plane of radiance that line the outer edges of the crystal sphere. You can even fly into them (and burn up) if you really want to. So, the "sun" is CURRENTLY the only fiery burning body meant to truly be heating the crystal sphere.

A question becomes... was this always the case? Were there multiple floating "stars" at some point? I say this because it specifically says that Shar started snuffing out "all life and heat". An interpretation of that could be that maybe some of the other planets had individual "suns" as well at one point. After all, Toril may have even been flat back then. So, prior to the sundering, we truly don't know the actual shape of things.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2017 :  14:07:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Canonically, most--if not all--of this stuff is just mythology. The War of Light and Darkness--the Netherese creation mythology--is explicitly depicted in that way. The Dawn War appears to be a Dragonborn mythology, as there was no concept of the Dawn War until the Dragonborn arrived, and 4E lore explicitly makes the claim that the updated version of the popular creation mythology comes from the Netherese, the Dragonborn, and the Sarrukh.

I think the only absolutely factual claims that we can make about the time prior to the Tearfall is that the world had been around a long time, that there was probably an Ice Age of some sort prior to the Days of Thunder, and that Lord Ao was around. Pretty much everything else is educated guess work and out-and-out speculation.

As for Shar, Selune, and Mystra there is no evidence that I am aware of that has them around prior to the time of Netheril.

I think there is a real danger here of people going down false and misleading paths by trying to reconcile (and thus making factual) the various creation mythologies. It is entirely possible--even likely--that none of it happened, and if something even remotely resembling it happened it likely happened radically different than the people of the setting believe it happened.

A good case in point is the myth of Dendar the Night Serpent swallowing the sun. That probably did not happen. It is a complete myth. However, there may have been a natural Ice Age. Which is more likely? That a powerful being literally swallowed the sun, plunging the world into an age of darkness, sending the planet gravitationally hurling through space, or that the planet simply had an Ice Age due to natural (or magical) forces?

Bear in mind, the current sun does not work like our sun. It works because its dotted with portals to the elemental plane of fire. Should those portals be forced to close, it would appear as though the sun were "swallowed by darkness". In a magical realm, having science that resembles our world isn't necessarily the answer (mind you, it can be periodically). That is one of the things that actually made a lot of people mad about Maztica, the old empires, etc... was "you just copied real world events".

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2017 :  14:14:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Aldrick

Ubtao, Kossuth, Grumbar are powerful beings, seem to be good friends with the gods, so maybe are gods. Better to pay respect (something to take into account is that they weren't affected by Ao's wrath in the ToT... so, at least the guy who retconned them to primordials did his homework).

Just to note, Kossuth was indeed cast down during the ToT. It was just that he was cast down in Chult, so presumably the rest of Faerun "just didn't know". In theory, similar may have happened to other gods in the areas where they had the most influence. For instance, Grumbar was probably held in most reverence by the geomancers down in Zakhara, so I wouldn't be surprised if he had been there. Istishia was probably underwater. Akadi was probably up on some mountaintop or cloud kingdom.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2017 :  14:21:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Zeromaru X -

Then there is the whole issue of Toril being inhabited by numerous races from an untold number of different worlds. How many worlds have the Elves and Orcs colonized? None of them ever brought word of a primordial over, ever?

Like you said, we have to accept that there is a lot of retconning. However, I was hoping for a solution where we could just declare a whole bunch of stuff mythology and popular speculation. That then would give us space to smooth out the rougher edges of the retcons.

We still might be forced to go down that route, and have something like the lines of, "In recent years it has become popular among the most knowledgeable sages to believe..."

That way we are not technically overwriting anything regarding canon, we are just--um--smoothing stuff out and choosing to ignore all the bad patchwork jobs WotC did.

Soooo....

=====

Okay, so basically we have two major wars between deities and primordials that we need to account for... The first is the Dawn War which happened sometime early in creation. The second is the (unnamed) war that took place around Tearfall, resulting in the twinning of Abeir-Toril.

So, let's start with some basics. We are dealing with deities and primordials, but it is clear that Lord Ao is greater than both. However, we have no idea what Lord Ao is, and we know there are others like him--he even serves another who he views as a Master.

This means that if Lord Ao was around at the creation of Abeir-Toril, then so were these other beings. Does anyone have any idea who or what these beings are, or want to take a stab at an educated guess?

It seems that they serve some type of cosmic balance. They have the ability, at least judging from Lord Ao, to basically do whatever they want to deities and primordials within the Crystal Sphere that they govern. They seem to have complete control over the laws of nature and reality. The only thing that seems to hold them in check is the dedication to the cosmic balance. They do not require worship like deities.

Does anyone want to take a stab at it?

One thing I would stress here is the one part "seem". I rather like the concept that Ao DOES NOT have as much control as people place on him. For instance, maybe he couldn't stop the collision between the worlds. Maybe he also couldn't stop the sundering. Maybe he didn't so much twin the worlds as take advantage of many things happening that had to be exactly lined up, and THEN he was able to perform the twinning. However, the gods don't even know the level of control he has, so neither do humans. Point in case, there was a moment where Cyric's own belief in himself seemed to point to his ability to act at a power level above other gods.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2017 :  18:43:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This may have been true up to 3e, but 4e/5e things changed, and somehow Ao became "everyone's Overgod" (which makes little sense, taking into account what we had before - that he is the Overgod of Realmspace).

I personally prefer the 'One Overgod per Crystal Sphere' approach. I had a theory way back when that sometimes when large groups of people get moved from one world to another (as in the case of the Shou Lung people), the Overgod of that world sends an avatar (and the avatar of an Overgod would be the equivalent of something I call a 'High God' - something just above 'greater God', and is almost always the leader of a pantheon, and has a great deal of power over that particular pantheon... so like a Demi-Overgod LOL) to the new world, and becomes a subordinate to the Overpower of the new Sphere (so the Celestial Emperor would then be 'under' Ao, but if a large number of Faerūnians somehow wound-up in Jadespace{?}, it would be the other way around... and both would still be Overgods 'back home'). This helped me explain why in at least one source, the CE, Maztica, and Fate (Zakhara) were all considered 'Overgods' (and then it was never mentioned again after that).

On most worlds this is no big deal - they probably only have one pantheon, and thus the Overpower is also THE 'High God'. On complex worlds, like Toril or Earth, we have dozens of pantheons, so there is a need for an in-between layer. In the case of Demihuman Deities, they have 'archtypes'. There are probably some worlds where Corellon and Moradin are the Overpower (although, dwarven myths specifically state there is another deity over Moradin - "the High-Father", so there ya' go), and because these races are all over the place, those Overpowers have had to 'shed' avatars by the hundreds (if not thousands), and it probably cost them a LOT of power-loss to maintain all that (or lose control of the aspect, which I think happened on Athas to Corellon).

You basically got three major tiers, with lots of tiers within them - Ordials, Gods, and mortals. Ordials are NEVER ascended mortals (at least, thus-far), and within their ranks they would go from Sidereals to Eternals (Overgods) to Prime Ordials (Dawn titans). Thus, theorretically, Ao's "boss" would be a sidereal, or what I used to call a 'conceptual' (one of the basic, primal forces of the universe, like time, or space). And if you like, there is ONE being above all that (actually, two, but The Other lies outside of the multiverse) - the sentience of the universe itself, which you can call whatever you want (or just say its 'A Force').

I've spent almost 20 years trying to make sense of D&D's 'Over-cosmology', and shoe-horn into it every single myth, legend, folklore, religion, and half-baked reference in a source that I could. The only way it all works out is to say "some things are really other things in disguise, but not always, and sometimes they are yet other things, and none of that matters to mortals, since it is indeed 'beyond their understanding'."

And it all changes from sphere to sphere, and world to world, and sometimes even culture to culture, because what mortals 'see' (in the rare times they are permitted to see anything at all) is governed by their own preconceptions - their dogma. That means a group of people could be looking at a god, and they'd all see something different... or not. And thats only when the Power-in-question has things on 'auto-pilot', because with the slightest exertion of will, they can make everyone see whatever they want. They are thought incarnate - their physical forms are little more than super-powerful illusions.

For all we know, The One (THE 'God') might just be insane, and all of this - the entire multiverse - is just a dream he/she/it is having. All those Gods and overpowers and primordials, etc, etc, are really just the different personalities of a shattered mind.

You know... kinda like what happened to the First World... and the World Serpent...

"Don't peel back the layers of reality to often, Berk... you may not like what you find"
----- Xorthrandiklonos the mad, during a rare, lucid moment from his cage in the Yugoloth Asylum

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2017 :  21:08:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This isn't a new theory of mine - just some parts from different ideas I am trying to piece-together in a different way.

There was this one goddess in the 'before Time' - lets call her 'Sharlūne' - and she was the daughter of Erebus (and probably 'Pale Night', who is also Nyx). During the Dawn War, something happened to her - something traumatic (Her mom became the first of the Obyriths?) This fractures her psyche, and she becomes two separate personalities - Shar, and Selūne (she is an ANCIENT power, so she can easily create a separate avatar for each, and still seem like two, separate greater gods). One a 'child of the light', full of wonder and mischief, and the other, a 'mere shadow' of her parents (she's the 'Goth'/emo sister, and the only time she'd be happy is when her sister plays with her... don't think on that two hard...)

And after the Godswar, the fragmented matter (and energy) of Aurgelmir ('The Ymir', or First World) begins to coalesce into 'droplets', and these eventually become the Crystal Spheres. 'The Gods' - all the celestial Beings who were not destroyed, banished, or imprisoned - took on a great mission; to try and recapture the beauty and grandeur of that First World. Like DNA in cells, each fragment contained a record of 'that which was', and with these (sadly incomplete) copies, they began to fill the Spheres with new worlds (some say the most powerful literally 'sang' the worlds into existence). And after the Spheres were filled with worlds, began the project of forming them, and filing them with living things.

Eberus had hoped to keep his half-crazed daughter away from all of this, and placed her in a sphere of her own, with minion Shadvari to keep watch (darkness means nothing to beings of this magnitude). And there the sisters 'played', and in so doing, created the 'toys' that would become the worlds of Realmspace. And one such world - Abeir-Toril - contained enough essence of The Earthmother (Gaea) that it formed a consciousness of its own - Chauntea. And "Chauntea begged for warmth so that she could nurture life and living creatures upon the planets". Selūne sent a fragment of herself - A'tar - out to find light and warmth, and discovered Amun, a god of both sun & light, igniting worlds within each sphere, so that they could support life. Amun created an avatar himself, and the two intertwined and combined into a new composite being - Amun-A'tar - who went back to Realmspace, bringing the glorious light and warmth.

But the goddess' dark side, Shar, was not happy. She turned on her sister and her new 'sun'. Grabbing a nearly invisible world of Black Ice*, she hurled it at the burning orb, snuffing-out its life-giving flames. Selūne was horrified, and reached into herself and tore-out the piece that was Shar, and flung it to the world below. Bits of 'flesh' from that great wound froze instantly in the cold and bitter darkness - we call those 'The Tears of Selūne', for she not only wept for the loss of her 'sun', but also for that missing part of her that she called 'sister'. And for the world below, now in tits dead-throws. And she, too, was dying, having spent her energy tearing her sister from her.

Into this Crystal Sphere comes Ao, charged by 'those on high' to keep the order in the spheres. He immediately time-stops Abeir-Toril before the burgeoning life on its surface could wither and die. He also collects the residual energy of both Shar and Selūne, and forms it into something new, something powerful, but also something lacking sentience of its own. Looking down upon the frozen world he spies a young woman who was about to die. Her name was Mystryl. He takes the energy of the twin Goddess and pours into this mortal vessel, and create the beginnings of what would eventually evolve into The Weave, and tells her it is her charge to hold the power in regency, until such a time when 'the two can become one again'.

He takes those parts of the battered and broken world where the pieces of Zotha's ice fell and sends them to a place where 'the gods' had locked-away some of the miscreants from the Dawn War, creating a world on top of their prison. A world that would be known as Abeir (which means 'that which holds something dear' and yet is restrained, or, a Cradle). With the remainder he builds a newer, smaller world - Toril, which means 'Life'. He touches the dead sun Amun-A'tar, and reignites it, calling it 'Lathander', which means 'the new sun'. Then he un-Time Stops the world, and the creatures that were dying are saved. However, too much damage has been wrought already, and within the next few centuries those remaining Creatori (Creator Races) would die out, or flee to other realms. Except for Man - man will always overcome every obstacle.

As for Shar, she remains trapped inside the world where her sister flung her, and as for Selūne herself, she still shines bright, but now lacks even the power to provide warmth, her 'tears' trailing behind her, a grim reminder of their struggle.

*The Ice Moon was all that remained of the second Ordial - Zotha - to have died in the Dawn War. Or rather, that was a drop of its 'blood' frozen in the coldness of Realmspace, undiscovered until Shar grabbed hold. Other such 'drops' were hidden-away in other crystal spheres as well, and as a sun (or three) was ignited in each, the frozen droplets melted, and the blood of Zotha (really the Elder god Asgorath - Zotha is just how it was known in The Realms) rained down upon the multitudinous worlds of creation, giving birth to dragonkind. Toril should have been spared this, if not for the meddling of the Elves, and the Fey... for Ao had made sure the blood of Asgorath would only take hold upon the twice-damned world of Abeir.

I think that might cover everything. Too bad I don't know the 4e lore better - I need to look at those 'creation myths' closely before I can fine-tune this (Is Abeir actually mentioned in the Dawn War material? Thats a bit of headache, if so). I am looking in the Wiki right now *UGH* Yes, some tweaking will be in order. I can work with it, though, since I don't think the 'First World' was shattered until the end of the conflict, so the Glaur fortress would have been on the region of that world that would become Abeir-Toril. Dender, on the other hand, is going to give me headaches.

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Aug 2017 21:23:04
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2017 :  21:34:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
at least one part needs to change. Zotha created the crystal sun, so Zotha being Asgorath wouldn't work.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2017 :  21:52:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Shar and Selūne fought together, and Bahamut and Tiamat also fought together, against the primordials in The Dawn War. Hmmmm....

So whats with that? After they won the war, the were still feeling onery and started fighting each other?

quote:

at least one part needs to change. Zotha created the crystal sun, so Zotha being Asgorath wouldn't work.

Zotha's a jerk. He's not my friend anymore.

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Aug 2017 21:53:21
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2017 :  22:28:52  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That implies that dragons were created by Shar and Selūne, but... Shar and Selūne are powers known only in Realmspace, and dragons exists in other spheres too. And in some spheres (like Eberron) they are older than the dragons of the Realmspace (and older by a "millions of millions of years"-margin).

Since the myth of Io exists in too many spheres, I guess that this myth (that was Io the creator of dragonkind—Asgorath is just the name Io has in the Realms, because Torilians are somewhat hipsters (?) and like to change the name of the gods) is more closer to truth than any other myth.

quote:

I think that might cover everything. Too bad I don't know the 4e lore better - I need to look at those 'creation myths' closely before I can fine-tune this (Is Abeir actually mentioned in the Dawn War material? Thats a bit of headache, if so). I am looking in the Wiki right now *UGH* Yes, some tweaking will be in order. I can work with it, though, since I don't think the 'First World' was shattered until the end of the conflict, so the Glaur fortress would have been on the region of that world that would become Abeir-Toril. Dender, on the other hand, is going to give me headaches.

Nope. As I said before, the Sundering of Abeir-Toril happens eons after the Dawn War ended. Yeah, we have Glaur Fortress, but that was in Abeir-Toril. It was sent to Abeir after the original sundering.

The gods had sealed killed, sealed or diminished the primordials with the help of some rebellious/traitorous primordials (Ubtao, Bristia Pel, and some others). Other primordials did not took part in the War at all (such as the Elemental Princes/Lords), and thus the gods allowed them to coexist.

The surviving primordials then fled to the Elemental Chaos, but the gods had a pyrrhic victory. Yes, they won, but most of the original gods died (some of those are forgotten, because they died before mortals knew about them, yet their dead power somehow lingers in the Astral Sea/Plane. So, most of the current gods are mostly newcomers.

Then, eons after the Dawn War, in the world of Abeir-Toril, some batrachi unleashed the imprisoned primordials "near" Abeir-Toril during their fight against the titans. This caused a new whole battle, that was going to escalate quickly. Primordials battled and killed the titans, then leveled Merrouroboros, then the gods became aware of their primordial enemies were free, and thus we have the first inconsistency of the story (Arambar being killed by a dragon) before Asgoroth (I wonder why they change that "a" for an "o") throw this ice moon...

quote:

So Shar and Selūne fought together, and Bahamut and Tiamat also fought together, against the primordials in The Dawn War. Hmmmm....

So whats with that? After they won the war, the were still feeling onery and started fighting each other?

Bahamut and Tiamat, if we going by dragonborn myths, indeed worked together in the war. But only once, to kill Erek-Hus (because it has killed their father). After then, they have been opposing forces ever since.

As for Shar and Selūne, I guess the same can apply: they only fought together because they wanted to survive. If there is a common theme in the Dawn War, is that the gods were on the losing end (they won because some primordials betrayed their own), so, I guess the gods had to work together, like it or not.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 09 Aug 2017 22:36:20
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2017 :  00:04:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Zotha made the sun? *bleh*
Not sure how to re-spin that. I really like what I did with Amun and A'tar (Aumanator) there, and even connected it all to yet-another fan theory about the 'Dusk Lord'. How did a 'moon' do anything? I have it where its just a big ball of frozen 'blood' (not really - its allegory for 'divine essence'). Perhaps Selūne was able to harness the power from the vestige of Asgorath and use it to ignite the sun?

And while looking for a name for Toril's sun (are we the only D&D world that doesn't have one? That is SO weird! Some kind of massive 'forget spell' by Ao/whoever?) I came across THIS passage in Realmspace:
quote:
Many sages believe that crystal sphere warming is a naturally occurring phenomena. They say that the older a system is, the warmer the sphere. If this is the case, Realmspace is the oldest system encountered thus far. This warming allows for comfortable spelljamming anywhere within the sphere.
Guess not, huh?
quote:

That implies that dragons were created by Shar and Selūne, but... Shar and Selūne are powers known only in Realmspace, and dragons exists in other spheres too. And in some spheres (like Eberron) they are older than the dragons of the Realmspace (and older by a "millions of millions of years"-margin).

Since the myth of Io exists in too many spheres, I guess that this myth (that was Io the creator of dragonkind—Asgorath is just the name Io has in the Realms, because Torilians are somewhat hipsters (?) and like to change the name of the gods) is more closer to truth than any other myth.
In my footnote above, I covered that. When Asgorath/Io/whoever 'grandpappy dragon' was was destroyed during the Dawn War (and now I am thinking maybe Dender is a surviving aspect/vestige of him?), like Ymir (The Prime Material Plane), he was fractured into millions of pieces and also spread throughout the multiverse (they were locked together in mortal combat, and their energies just blew them to pieces?) So when the crystal Spheres formed - before the suns were ignited - all those (Huge) drops of dragon's blood coalesced into 'Ice Moons'. Zotha was merely one, in Realmspace. Most Crystal Spheres had a least one. When the suns were lit, the warm melted the Ice and the 'dragon DNA' rained down upon the new worlds - nearly all of them.

Toril was supposed to be saved from that, but when the Elves cast their High-Magic ritual to create Evermeet (that first 'Sundering'), it interfered with the magic holding them in Abeir (which is where Ao had placed the Ice Shards), and retroactively they rained down upon Toril (because Zotha was NOT destroyed in the new continuity they created) in the past. The first time around, they had no draconic enemies, and probably lived together in 'peace & harmony', but somehow the existence of the dragons caused them to build agressive empires of their own. Basically, they were 'punished' for their temerity (mucking about with time), and The Crown Wars happened as a result.

I'm trying to connect EVERYTHING.

This also helps us establish that there are indeed TWO timelines - IN CANON - and any inconsistencies we can blame on that (like how humans were mere savages during the time of the Crown Wars, yet we have stories about very advanced human mages co-existing with elves as slaves to the dragon-empires). That was another thing that changed - the existence of dragons caused human cultural to advance exponentially, which was a another very bad thing for the elves, in the long run. Its actually a pretty neat fix, for a lot of things (including some of this history we are trying to make work).

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Aug 2017 00:11:18
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2017 :  00:10:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Zotha's a jerk. He's not my friend anymore.

I agree, Zotha is a jerk. That's why I vote that the "crystal sun" that was created not be THE sun.... we don't want him to have that much power (noting him, as that matches the draconic myth). Then have Zotha be the ice moon (because that's how Brian R. James wrote Zotha up) in the way that Selune is the "rock" moon. Then, once Zotha creates the crystal "moon" .... Selune sets it on fire. You know... because Selune thinks Zotha is a jerk too.

Then, what the hell, once "Zotha" the ice moon gets smashed into the middle of the continent, he becomes "Ulutiu" (or some call him Njord).... some salty sea primordial with an affinity for ice..... oh, and he sneaks in and sleeps with a mountain goddess named Othea (though some call her Skadi).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2017 :  00:16:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basically, he's a horny seal? He must be a Navy Seal!

But yeah, I can see Selūne getting annoyed; "Hey Zotha, I'm the only one who does any 'mooning' around here! Take that!"
Zotha: "Yeargh! Ye got me lass! And why am I talking like Elminster? Who won't be born for another 30,000 years..."

And now I have Johnny Cash's song 'Ring of Fire' running through my head... but with a video of the Big Bang playing behind it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000