Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What could terrify a god?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Naron
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2016 :  12:49:34  Show Profile Send Naron a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
After reading a Lovecraftian story, in which the pitiful humans are always helpless against the Old Ones and filled with fear and madness, I have asked myself the question of the title.
Are there things that could terrify even the gods and fill them with an intense fear, anxiety and even madness?
I'm really curious.

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2016 :  14:05:03  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AO, being forgotten, thinking too deeply about things that are they antithesis, Elder Evils, Primordials, Powerful Rival Deities.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2016 :  14:21:10  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that primordials, elder evils, or rival deities could terrify a god. They could represent a threat, but a threat isn't automatically something terrifying when it can be fought (and that's the case for all of those things). The thing that makes the Old Ones/Cthulhu so terrifying is that not only they are entirely alien, but there's very little you can do against them.

The only thing that really comes to my mind when you ask talk about terrified deities, is when Ao banished them.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 11 Dec 2016 17:52:22
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2016 :  15:24:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think 'being forgotten' is #1.

Nothing frightens a god more than knowing its entire existence depends upon the faith of lowly, fickle mortals.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2016 :  15:24:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on the deity... Sune is terrified of tentacles.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2016 :  18:00:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you go by the novels and mythology then all gods should be afraid of pretty flowers, people with harps but no names, getting married, lathander, Ao and his temper tantrums, being forgotten.

The list of things that have killed gods os rather staggering. But thats why i dont think of the novels and mythology as primary sources.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2016 :  21:10:08  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
kezef the hound works fine. For mulan gods imaskari might have been pretty scary.
And do not forget about other gods. Lathander's Procession of Justice might have sent chills up the spine on both sides of spectrum...
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2016 :  21:52:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mask seems fairly terrified of Kezef, lol, he's been running and hiding from the Chaos Hound for over a century. Always just a few steps ahead, never able to truly rest and relax his guard. Perhaps it's not exactly what mortals understand as "fear" or "terror" motivating Mask: by then why does he keep on running, why doesn't he finally confront Kezef on his own terms? I'm a little disappointed, I think a god of cunning, scheming, intrigues, and deception should be able to plan out a real doozy of a killer ambush.

As of the Avatar Crisis (the Time of Troubles between 1E and 2E), Faerunian deities have become symbiotically dependent on their faiths. Godlike entities might be nigh indestructible things - but the bodies and minds and hearts of puny mortal worshippers are fragile things, the books and temples and shrines they construct are also fragile things. I think any Faerunian deity would be "afraid" of losing these living keys to power in the Realms.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  14:59:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think you misspelled it... I think it was hentacles :-)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  15:45:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

I think you misspelled it... I think it was hentacles :-)

Good catch.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  21:27:53  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Sune is the Goddess of Love period, not just for humaniods, Hentacles need love too!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  21:29:54  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Mask seems fairly terrified of Kezef, lol, he's been running and hiding from the Chaos Hound for over a century. Always just a few steps ahead, never able to truly rest and relax his guard. Perhaps it's not exactly what mortals understand as "fear" or "terror" motivating Mask: by then why does he keep on running, why doesn't he finally confront Kezef on his own terms? I'm a little disappointed, I think a god of cunning, scheming, intrigues, and deception should be able to plan out a real doozy of a killer ambush.

As of the Avatar Crisis (the Time of Troubles between 1E and 2E), Faerunian deities have become symbiotically dependent on their faiths. Godlike entities might be nigh indestructible things - but the bodies and minds and hearts of puny mortal worshippers are fragile things, the books and temples and shrines they construct are also fragile things. I think any Faerunian deity would be "afraid" of losing these living keys to power in the Realms.

That was the old goofy Mask, the new Riven awesome Mask would find a way to beat the Chaos Hound or imprision him.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  22:36:03  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Riven would find a way to befriend Kezef, given that dogs are essentially the only living thing that he can reliably empathize with.

Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  22:42:41  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like that new Mask is definitely not wearing red trousers over his blue suit anymore (and so is better than the old one in every way)?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  22:45:33  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you ask me, I actually liked the old Mask. I also think that the new Mask can't be just Riven, rather an entity that hold the sentience of the old Mask as well (similar to how all the former Mystras coexist in the latest one).

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  23:10:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I think Riven would find a way to befriend Kezef, given that dogs are essentially the only living thing that he can reliably empathize with.

Oh hells yes, I like that imagery. Maybe he thumbs his nose at and laughs at Tyr while scratching Kezef's ears.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  07:49:20  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you ask me, I actually liked the old Mask. I also think that the new Mask can't be just Riven, rather an entity that hold the sentience of the old Mask as well (similar to how all the former Mystras coexist in the latest one).

For me it depends on who wrote about Mask. Kemp's Mask was propably THE BEST writeup of any god on any fantasybook. Mask, as potrayed in Avatar series no. 4 and 5 was plain BAD.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  09:38:56  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard Awlinson . Whenever that name appears, gods know bad things will happen to them...

Edited by - Thauramarth on 13 Dec 2016 09:39:36
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  16:17:14  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several states all sentient beings fear, but gods take take their paranoia for them to a much grander timescale. Isolation, Starvation, Oblivion/Death or Failure (lacking Omniscience over their own domains and portfolios) WON'T be on their super-subconsciousnesses constantly, but could really upset their moods if confronted with the thought/possibility.

'Once mortal' deities AND those that care for their mortal creations could take with them the societal fears of ridicule, rejection and failure. A deity would for example fear blasphemic gossip, heresy by their favorite worshipers and/or the spread of a slanderous myth that shows one of their follies or failed creations. The in-society between the gods of Faerun is largely the same as a social network, with all the chances of getting shamed, rebuffed of bested by your fellows.

The rivalries between and within the Faerunian pantheons would lead to deities fearing failure against their foes. A Grand Crusade that peters out in a miserable trek through a mountain pass, the loss of high level clerical convoys to a mysterious disease, the destruction of their own major cathedrals by a rival deity's warhost would all greatly hurt the reputation and resources of a greater deity, especially if its against a lesser rival god that boasts about the deed.

Also I agree that epic-level artifacts usually can give even a greater god pause. Myrkul might fear the Crown of Horns power to isolate and imprison him, now that he has refound the ambition to rebuild his divine powerbase.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Naron
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  23:09:43  Show Profile Send Naron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lovecraft said that the strongest fear is the fear of unknown. Is this also valid for gods?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2016 :  02:25:12  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much remains unknown to D&D gods/goddesses, deities, pantheons, primordials, and powers. None of them are truly omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent. In fact, most of them have limits defined by their lesser positions in divine hierarchies - some are merely ascended mortals, quasi-deity "exarchs" and demi-godlings, or apotheotic entelechs whose "omniscience" barely exceeds that of common peasants.

If fear of the unknown is strongest then even the greatest of gods know fear.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2016 :  07:29:31  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Losing their worshippers to another deity…. is pretty frightening.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2016 :  21:08:02  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the OP specifically means what terrifies Forgotten Realms Gods…
… an announcement the Wizards is working on a new version on Dungeons & Dragons.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2016 :  21:21:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Naron

Lovecraft said that the strongest fear is the fear of unknown. Is this also valid for gods?
Not sure about FR, or even Great Wheel/Planescape, but in the Mystara setting (OD&D), there is a level 'beyond godhood' that the gods know almost nothing about and can barely comprehend (like how far the gods - immortals in that setting - are above mere mortals). Most are frightened by the prospect (that anything could possibly consider them inconsequential), but at least one of them worked toward 'apotheosis' toward that tier, and one day, simply disappeared. The other immortals would like to believe it destroyed itself... but you never know.

However, the Immortals of that setting are more akin to demi-powers in the Realms and elsewhere, so that tier 'beyond the gods' could simple be normal D&D gohood, which may be missing from Mystara (all the immortals are ascended mortals).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2016 :  21:46:20  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasymachus

… an announcement the Wizards is working on a new version on Dungeons & Dragons.

5e was pretty positive for a lot of them, actually.

Edited by - Irennan on 18 Dec 2016 21:46:52
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2016 :  13:37:39  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Thrasymachus

5e was pretty positive for a lot of them, actually.

Even more terrifying, it looks to good, it has to be a trap

Edited by - Mirtek on 19 Dec 2016 13:38:12
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2016 :  15:09:05  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we can create a list of beings that have terrified some gods or pantheons.

Thus far mentioned:

AO (feared by all divines)
Lathander (feared for his Divine Procession and Dawn Cataclysm)
Kezef the Hound (feared by Mask)

I think the following can be added (excluding diametricly opposed dieties such as Selune and Shars obvious fears for eachothers plans):

Ityak-Ortheel (feared by the Seldarine)
Pandorym (feared by the Imaskari but meant to deter the Mulhorandi pantheon)
Lady of Pain (feared by the Torillian pantheons after she murdered Aoskar with a mere thought)
Dendar (feared by the World Serpents of the Scaled Ones' pantheon)
Fate (feared by the Zakharan pantheon)
the Celestial One, Emperor of Heaven (feared by all the officials in the Celestial Bureaucracy during New Years Day when they have his audience)

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 19 Dec 2016 15:11:47
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2016 :  16:00:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek
Even more terrifying, it looks to good, it has to be a trap

Lol

Edited by - Irennan on 19 Dec 2016 16:00:28
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2016 :  17:51:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I honestly wouldn't think too many deities would be fearful of Lathander, as such... Wary of what he may try, certainly, but not fearful. Being fearful implies that they find him frightening, even when he's clearly not doing anything and just minding his own business. Being wary, though, would be kinda keeping an eye out and not thinking too much about it unless Lathy looks like he's up to something.

Even Cyric, who literally tried to write the other deities out of existence, would be someone more watched than actively feared...

I don't think someone that could be reasonably opposed -- as one deity could reasonably oppose another -- would be something to actively fear. It's only when you get to those you can't reasonably oppose, like Dendar, that there is a reason for fear.

At least, that's my take on it.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2016 :  19:24:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Kezef the Chaos Hound

I remember back when he was just "Kezef, the Bad Puppy".

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2016 :  01:15:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The overgod Ao was unknown to the Realms in 1E but became a manifest part of Realmslore when he punitively inflicted the Time of Troubles and Avatar Crisis upon all the Faerunian deities (and upon all of Faerun). In the Avatar novel trilogy, Ao communicates with his (overgod) peers and his final communication is a report (that "the Realms have been secured") to another and entirely ambiguous entity (or entities) - perhaps equals, perhaps underlings, but perhaps instead a superior or group of superiors.

Remember that ye olde (circa 1986) D&D Set 5: Immortal Rules are technically "official" D&D canon. Rules which describe ascension through the ranks of immortals and gods, towards entities more powerful than the mightiest deities ever described in any Core (or Realms, Greyhawk, Krynn, etc) setting product. Ao has been described in FR novels, a few overgodly counterparts for other settings have been described (or suggested) throughout various other publications. But no real rules exist for Ao - he obviously outpowers the collective might of all his subordinate gods and goddesses, he appears to have some buddies, he might even have a boss - but he is otherwise incomprehensible to mortals, such entities are simply beyond normal rules. Ao's last report suggests that he might somehow be punished or humiliated (by his peers and/or his "boss") if the Realms were not "secured" - which suggests even an overgod could know fear. The possibilities in fiction are endless, so Ao has been used (sparingly) in FR novels, but such stuff is not the concern of mere mortal gamers playing by merely mortal gaming rules.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 20 Dec 2016 01:28:06
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000