Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Alaundo's severed head
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  02:06:00  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A while ago I asked Ed if he could tell us more about whats going on with Alaundo's skull (Its no longer attached to his corpses and Mind Flayers from Oryndoll are looking for it, see Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark) but unfortunately another one of those Baatezu spawned NDAs got in the way

Is there any word of Alaundo's skull in City of Splendors?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Jul 2005 14:04:55

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  03:20:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I recall.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  03:44:23  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To what tome are you refering to?

When I first saw the post I actually thought the webmaster did loose his head!

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  05:33:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

City of Splendors 3e I believe.

quote:
Look to DDGttU on pg. 86 for more details about the 'Skull of Alaundo'.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  05:44:10  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Pardon my asking, The Sage, can i know the full title of the book called DDGttU?Thanks.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  05:56:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

quote:

quote:

quote:

Pardon my asking, The Sage, can i know the full title of the book called DDGttU?Thanks.

Drizzt Do'Urdens Guide to the Underdark. It's a 2e book. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  05:57:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I was about 45 seconds too slow...

quote:

What Kuje said .

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Jul 2005 05:58:25
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  06:10:31  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would the mind flayers from Oryndoll be looking for Alaundo's skull? Is there like some kind of power divination magic hidden inside or something?

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  06:54:24  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Why would the mind flayers from Oryndoll be looking for Alaundo's skull? Is there like some kind of power divination magic hidden inside or something?

Well Alaundo predicted alot of Faeruns future and he may have even been a Chosen of Savras. While many know Alaundos predections if some one actually had his head they could use the Speak with Dead spell to ask specfic questions about the future.

One of the Mindflayer factions in Oryndoll thinks that best way to conqueror the lesser races was to deprive them of knowledge thus reducing the Humans, Elves, halflings and the other civilised races to barbarism. So the Mindflyers run around trying destroy any knowledge he civilized surface rares have so for example they would be very keen to burn down Candlekeep as it has a great deal of books and infomation that could only be found there

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  10:06:06  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lina for what I have seen in my short experience in the forums, Alaundo is a sage with the head over his shoulders.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  12:05:22  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm fine...honest. See!?

er...hmmm, what...what's this? It seems like.....like... blood!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  13:18:13  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

I'm fine...honest. See!?

Well your head does appear to be floating in a field of darkness.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  17:21:36  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Well Alaundo predicted alot of Faeruns future and he may have even been a Chosen of Savras. While many know Alaundos predections if some one actually had his head they could use the Speak with Dead spell to ask specfic questions about the future.

One of the Mindflayer factions in Oryndoll thinks that best way to conqueror the lesser races was to deprive them of knowledge thus reducing the Humans, Elves, halflings and the other civilised races to barbarism. So the Mindflyers run around trying destroy any knowledge he civilized surface rares have so for example they would be very keen to burn down Candlekeep as it has a great deal of books and infomation that could only be found there

Oh, I see...

But Alaundo has been dead so long. I don't think a Speak with Dead spell would work, would it?

Mindflayers from Oryndoll ? No wonder Candlekeep has so many defenses... Lol.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  01:29:51  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

I'm fine...honest. See!?

It's not that damn spot again, is it?

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  02:54:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, my fellow scribes... We really should try to bring the discussion back to the subject of the magical artifact that is the "Skull of Alaundo".

Now, back to the Realmslore...

Go to Top of Page

Osieu
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  13:30:14  Show Profile  Visit Osieu's Homepage Send Osieu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, there's one article Relics of the Realms in Dragon#333. Is there anything about the skull in it?
Go to Top of Page

Tylas
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  13:54:38  Show Profile  Visit Tylas's Homepage Send Tylas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Osieu

IIRC, there's one article Relics of the Realms in Dragon#333. Is there anything about the skull in it?

The power to divine into the future?
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  15:25:47  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Osieu

Nope, those are religious artifacts from various Faerunian deities.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  23:49:18  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curious...I wonder what will the mind flayers do with the skull if they found it?
The skull is devoid of flesh and brains but surely the mind flayers cannot use their psionic abilities to break into the skull secrets, am I wrong?

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  01:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe they would resurrect Alaundo from his skull and then eat his brain to assimilate his knowledge and divinatory distinctiveness into their ilithid elder brain.
Go to Top of Page

Tylas
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  01:48:42  Show Profile  Visit Tylas's Homepage Send Tylas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Maybe they would resurrect Alaundo from his skull and then eat his brain to assimilate his knowledge and divinatory distinctiveness into their ilithid elder brain.

Ressurect Alaundo? But Alaundo was said to be the Chosen of Savras, surely his soul is with Savras in Savras Realm unless the illithids has necromancers among them to do that.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  02:36:33  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Thats IF Alaundo CAN be resurrected

Savras spent a great deal of time trapped in an artifact and if Azuth had trapped Savras in the artifact before Alaundo died then there wouldnt be anyone their to take Alaundo to the afterlife on Savras home plane. So its possable that Alaundo ended up being branded one of the false by Jergal or Mykrul and ended up in the Wall of the false

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  02:40:48  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plus there is always the . . . "if he doesn't want to come back to life he doesn't have to" hiccup to such plans (a clause that I have had to invoke to many a vengeful PC when they thought a villain died to quickly).
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  03:09:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Plus there is always the . . . "if he doesn't want to come back to life he doesn't have to" hiccup to such plans (a clause that I have had to invoke to many a vengeful PC when they thought a villain died to quickly).

You might want to give this a try the next time your players want to do that

When a person dies in the realms and they get to their gods home plane the god turns them into an outsider. Im personally of the view that the type of outsider would be determined by how powerful the indivduel in life

For example if Fzoul died Bane might turn him into a Pit Fiend if Bob a 1st low level bandit died his god might turn him into a Lemure (if LE) or Dretch (If CE) etc.

So next time characters try and raise a dead villian have the villian come back as the outsider.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  04:18:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Curious...I wonder what will the mind flayers do with the skull if they found it?
The skull is devoid of flesh and brains but surely the mind flayers cannot use their psionic abilities to break into the skull secrets, am I wrong?

They could, perhaps, use it as some sort of psionic artifact. It could also serve as the focus for some sort of ritual, either psionic or magical, that would grant visions of the future... This is all speculation, of course.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  05:10:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

They could, perhaps, use it as some sort of psionic artifact. It could also serve as the focus for some sort of ritual, either psionic or magical, that would grant visions of the future... This is all speculation, of course.

Indeed.

And if it somehow came into their possession, clerics of Deneir, Oghma, and even Savras would certinaly have an interest in the secrets of lore they could divine from the artifact.

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Jul 2005 05:12:04
Go to Top of Page

Tylas
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  06:45:42  Show Profile  Visit Tylas's Homepage Send Tylas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed.

And if it somehow came into their possession, clerics of Deneir, Oghma, and even Savras would certinaly have an interest in the secrets of lore they could divine from the artifact.

It sounds like there might be a big fight and bloodshed for Alaundo's skull. But what can they do once they divine something from the artifact, change the course of the future? Surely not all courses of the future can be changed.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  11:20:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tylas

It sounds like there might be a big fight and bloodshed for Alaundo's skull. But what can they do once they divine something from the artifact, change the course of the future? Surely not all courses of the future can be changed.

They could either try to change the future, or position themselves to take advantage of events no one else expects...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  13:42:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

They could either try to change the future, or position themselves to take advantage of events no one else expects...

This could actually work as a great basis for a series of adventures centered around the acquisition of the artifact by evil-aligned beings with nefarious intent. Perhaps they are planning to exploit some future weakness in the defenses of a city somewhere in the North -- plundering and pillaging it when the time is right.

The PCs of course, have been hired by the scribes of Candlekeep to attempt to recover the artifact and bring it to them. But what they don't release is the Great Reader who has hired them for the task is actually a baatezu noble of minor power and position acting through others in an attempt to secure the skull for his own fiendish purpose.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  15:37:55  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

This could actually work as a great basis for a series of adventures centered around the acquisition of the artifact by evil-aligned beings with nefarious intent. Perhaps they are planning to exploit some future weakness in the defenses of a city somewhere in the North -- plundering and pillaging it when the time is right.

The PCs of course, have been hired by the scribes of Candlekeep to attempt to recover the artifact and bring it to them. But what they don't release is the Great Reader who has hired them for the task is actually a baatezu noble of minor power and position acting through others in an attempt to secure the skull for his own fiendish purpose.

Very interesting Sage, I was just thinking about a new campaign, and this may be just what I needed to get the ball rolling.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  17:12:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so this idea may be non-viable, because my Planescape lore is limited...

But what if the skull is somewhere on the planes? A powerful Sensate grabbed it, and has been using it to experience things before they happen -- or maybe even experiencing possible futures that won't happen.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000