Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Hero [Spoilers]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

BenN
Learned Scribe

Japan
336 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  05:16:00  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just finished the ARC; I have mixed feelings about it.

On the one hand, for me the story of Drizzt & the CoTH was getting very stale some time ago, so I'm not unhappy that the saga has come to and end (or has it?????!!! ).

Some things I liked (spoilers, so highlight to see):

- Yvonnel & her interactions with other drow.
- The big baddie succubus queen storyline
- Regis and his little friends
- Entreri & Dahlia

Some things I didn't:

- Tecumseh Bracegirdle as a halfling name. Simultaneously ridiculous & lazy. RAS really takes the p*ss with a lot of his character names.
- Drizzt, simultaneously being Gary Stu, and having a mental breakdown that did not suspend my disbelief.
- The description of 'dirty dwarves' and especially Pikel made me grind my teeth. I never want to hear a dwarf saying "Oooo!" again.
- The "Drizzt defies Lolth, and lives" bit. I thought she's supposed to be evil??? If RAS had gone 'Game of Thrones meets Quentin Tarantino', and it all ended in a mad bloodbath with the heads of the CoTH on spikes, I would have been more satisfied.

If this is the last CoTH novel, I wish that some character stories were wrapped up (that weren't), and that some characters were given more focus; I'm sick of Drizzt, Cattie, Regis & Wulfgar, but I think some of RAS' later characters are more interesting & have potential for interesting stories:

- No mention of Doum'wielle & her family. I thought her storyline was very interesting, and it was disappointing that she was not mentioned.
- I would have liked the Entreri, Dahlia & Effron relationships & story fleshed-out more. "It's complicated" is an understatement; if RAS writes about them in a spin-off story in future, I would be very happy.

Edited by - BenN on 19 Oct 2016 05:18:38
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  07:02:03  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... can *you* maybe let me know more about what happens to the alternative companions? Are we getting a goth 90ties CotH alternative? What happens to Afafrenfere, Amber, and Effron? I am thinking of the scene before the Yeti fight in NotH, and it looked to me like Effron and Dahlia didn't work out as travelling companions, no matter how much emotional ballast they had in regards to each other. I was always hoping for Amber, Afafrenfere, and Effron travelling together, and, say, becoming travellinf ghostbusters or whatever. A monk, a warlock with lots of knowledge from his former apprenticeship about the undead, and a cleric...
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Learned Scribe

Japan
336 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  07:30:08  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DandelionClock

What happens to Afafrenfere, Amber, and Effron?

Afafrenfere: Alive & kicking at the Monastery of the Yellow Rose.

Amber: Brief appearance as one of Bruenor's bodyguards (along with Athrogate)

Effron: Briefly mentioned (no appearance), setting up in residence in the rebuit Hosttower of the Arcane.

Also, Dahlia makes a brief appearance or two. Recovered from insanity, in a relationship with Entreri, but seems to be lacking her previous fiery character. I guess she misses her pointy electro-shock stick.

Edited by - BenN on 19 Oct 2016 07:32:43
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Learned Scribe

Japan
336 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  07:31:18  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops sorry for the doop.

Edited by - BenN on 19 Oct 2016 07:32:17
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  07:52:11  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.
Okay.
That really isn't much. :(
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  07:52:48  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Content-wise, I mean. Not in regards to your answer. :)
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Seeker

29 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  08:07:40  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do Entreri and Drizzt get some cool fight in this book? Do they beat some badass opponent?
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Learned Scribe

Japan
336 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  08:20:54  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadolan

Do Entreri and Drizzt get some cool fight in this book? Do they beat some badass opponent?

Yes and yes (well sorta; if by 'beat', you mean 'get their asses handed to them, and barely make it out of there alive').

Edited by - BenN on 19 Oct 2016 08:22:13
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Seeker

29 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  08:29:28  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

quote:

Yes and yes (well sorta; if by 'beat', you mean 'get their asses handed to them, and barely make it out of there alive').

Interesting.

I recall how RAS said somewhere that Grandmaster Kane fights with Drizzt or Entreri but I couldn't be sure if he meant as an ally or as an opponent? If the former then does Drizzt or Arty give enough of a good fight to be acknowledged by him as great warriors or something?

Also is there finally an outright explanation for Arty's longevity or was it Charon's Claw 100% confirmed?

Finally, is it explained what happened to Calihye? Arty was thinking about her quite a few times in the previous books so I though that RAS might have resolved that plotline.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1975 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  14:19:03  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read it yet, but I don't understand why people think it should have ended with everyone dead in an epic battle. What's wrong with a happy ending, especially for a series that has been going on for so long? A sad ending for such an epic series would leave a bad taste in my mouth. Plus, if this is truly the las FR novel, shouldn't it end on a good note?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Seeker

29 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  15:06:00  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I haven't read it yet, but I don't understand why people think it should have ended with everyone dead in an epic battle. What's wrong with a happy ending, especially for a series that has been going on for so long? A sad ending for such an epic series would leave a bad taste in my mouth. Plus, if this is truly the las FR novel, shouldn't it end on a good note?

Guess its because tragic endings are more original and bring forth much stronger emotions from the readers making it perhaps more memorable.

Despite that I'm damn glad that there is a happy ending. After like 30 books and so many years of reading RAS books I do not want to feel depressed as I read the final page of the book. I want Entreri and Drizzt to have a happy and full of hope ending, cliche or not.

I'm really glad that Entreri had found his true love by the end and I hope that any signs of insanity that Drizzt got in the previous book are completely gone by the end of "Hero".

Is is so strange to cheer for characters one grew attached after so many years? ^^

Edited by - Shadolan on 19 Oct 2016 15:23:22
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2685 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  15:11:59  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tragic endings are no more "original" than happy endings (and both have been a thing ever since people started telling stories, i.e. since forever). The right ending for a story depends on the themes of that story and its characters, IMO. If hope has been a common theme throughout a tale, then a "doom and gloom" ending won't fit, if you ask me (unless the author wants to tell the readers that all that the message that they have received up to the end isn't true, and that hope and not giving up sometimes won't cut it. But then, it has to be done really well in order to feel appropriate. Same for a tale of despair with a good ending). Ofc, there aren't only tragic and fairy-tale endings, there are also in-betweens.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/

Edited by - Irennan on 19 Oct 2016 15:18:05
Go to Top of Page

Sothron
Seeker

16 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  03:45:41  Show Profile Send Sothron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has it been confirmed that this is the last book in both the series and in FR? I can't believe Wotc would just turn down free money with how popular the Drizzt series has been.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  09:36:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sothron

Has it been confirmed that this is the last book in both the series and in FR? I can't believe Wotc would just turn down free money with how popular the Drizzt series has been.

No to either point, but that's not stopped a lot of negative speculation.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Onyx1978
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  17:08:11  Show Profile Send Onyx1978 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If everything is fine in the end, is maybe going to be a father, too?
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Learned Scribe

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  03:15:18  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

2 more likely not so spoilerish questions:

- Does the book address the reason why Arty became so long lived or is it pretty much confirmed that it was his sword that did so?

- Does Drizzt actually replace Twinkle with Lullaby(Tiago's sword) or does he just give that powerful blade to someone else?

1. As someone else has said, Artemis' long life is suggested to be tied to Charon's Claw and not his jeweled dagger, as Claw was recovered perfectly undamaged from the primordial's pit.

2. Nope, something better. Catti-brie uses her Mary Sue powers to not only repair Twinkle, but combine it with Vidrinath so that the sword has both weapons' power. She also does the same thing with Bruenor's already upgraded shield and Orbcress, thus dropping two ridiculously OP weapons in the CotH's hands. As for how Catti has the ability to do so, there's some stuff about how the primordial (inexplicably) trusts her and willingly grants her all of his unrivaled power and ability to reforge what were already great and unprecedented feats of craftsmanship created by a long-lived master craftsman drow into items that surpassed even that power.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2685 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  04:10:11  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So she's basically the best weapon/armorsmith in the whole Faerun?

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Learned Scribe

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  04:37:24  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

So she's basically the best weapon/armorsmith in the whole Faerun?

I'm sure that some will argue with you because it's stated that she has no idea what she's doing and it's a large favor shown her by the primordial, and let's not forget how it's stated that she's properly respectful and appreciative but...

Yes, pretty much. -_-
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Seeker

29 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  08:28:24  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting...

Does Kane make an appearance? I recall RAS hyped his return for this book in some or other form. Maybe to fight/test Drizzt or Entreri?

Also what about the Demon Lords? Does one of them play a major role in this book or were they or defeated somehow already? Or some other major demon? It would be a shame for the likes or Orcus or Grazzt to be dealt with so easily.

Finally, does Entreri get so settle things with Calihye if she is still alive? Her being mentioned so often by him seemed suspicious to me...
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

530 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  14:35:23  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

- The big baddie succubus queen storyline

Care to elaborate with quick who is she/what did she do (/where/when/why/how are of lesser importance to me)?
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1975 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  15:45:01  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting...

Does Kane make an appearance? I recall RAS hyped his return for this book in some or other form. Maybe to fight/test Drizzt or Entreri?

Also what about the Demon Lords? Does one of them play a major role in this book or were they or defeated somehow already? Or some other major demon? It would be a shame for the likes or Orcus or Grazzt to be dealt with so easily.

Finally, does Entreri get so settle things with Calihye if she is still alive? Her being mentioned so often by him seemed suspicious to me...

I haven't read the book yet, but unless her life was prolonged like Entreri's, she is probably dead, since the Sellswords trilogy was well before the Spellplague. But I could be wrong.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
124 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  08:10:45  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

quote:

Interesting...

I haven't read the book yet, but unless her life was prolonged like Entreri's, she is probably dead, since the Sellswords trilogy was well before the Spellplague. But I could be wrong.

She was half-elf i think. So she could be alive. I dont remember half-elven lifespan, so i could be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Seeker

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  12:19:49  Show Profile Send Gareth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not got my copy yet, but wondering if Gromph is in this one much?
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Learned Scribe

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  14:03:56  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To answer the various questions posed by different people:

I think it's fair to say that Kane plays a pretty prominent role throughout the novel. He fights Drizzt, as well as helps against a Big Bad that appears in the book. His first reason for appearing is after Drizzt's "illness" fails to be treated by Kimmuriel. The Dragon Sisters suggest to Jarlaxle that ascendance, a la Kane, would save Drizzt, because while his discipline is near perfect, it isn't totally perfect, like that attained by Kane, the mortal that's transcended death (and if I'm not mistaken, is at least a God Spark level 0, right?)

Entreri's history with Calihye is finally clarified. She is indeed half-elf, and Jarlaxle suspects that she still lives, but he hasn't heard from her in a long time, not since around when Entreri was captured by the Netherese. It's revealed that she left Entreri by her own accord, as she'd found peace and closure and wanted to move on in her life away from him. She wanted to say goodbye to him though, which is why Jarlaxle granted them those "wonderful tendays". I think this sequence is one of the very few believable and well-written aspects of "Hero".

Gromph is... well, he's in it, but I don't know that his role is anything more than minorish. Certainly less than the one Kane plays.
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Seeker

29 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  14:16:49  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answers sno4wy :)

Btw is Entreri's own mental sickness from Maestro brought back here or did he somehow fix it via willpower or something? It would mean that Entreri is more disciplined than Drizzt or just less filled with doubts...

Also, does Entreri help Drizzt on his "healing" quest or does he simply show up against the Big Bad?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000