Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Hero [Spoilers]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2016 :  17:01:05  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's another thread about this. But resurrection isn't an easy thing to find. Since in theory most inhabitants of the world should be classless, and most people with classes should be like up to lvl 3 (?). So you need to find a cleric capable of casting resurrection, that is willing to do it, the resources to pay for it (What was it, 10k gold in diamond dust?), and you need to have a whole, preserved body. Unless you can find a super powerful cleric capable of casting 9th level spells and willing to help you. But they should be truly a rarity (although IIRC in the 3e FRCS it is said that in Shieldmeets Kelemvorite priests can sometimes cast True Resurrection to bring back the deceased "heroes of the world" when there's need of it).

What I meant, is that in the FR everyone and everything gets blown up and then comes back all the time, to the point where both the deaths and their undoing are cheap (and I don't really blame the authors for this, but the guys at WotC that handle the whole metaplot).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 16 Oct 2016 17:08:15
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2016 :  17:07:09  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

There's another thread about this. But resurrection isn't an easy thing to find. Since in theory most inhabitants of the world should be classless, and most people with classes should be like up to lvl 3 (?). So you need to find a cleric capable of casting resurrection, that is willing to do it, the resources to pay for it (What was it, 10k gold in diamond dust?), and you need to have a whole, preserved body. Unless you can find a super powerful cleric capable of casting 9th level spells and willing to help you. But they should be truly a rarity (although IIRC in the 3e FRCS it is said that in Shieldmeets Kelemvorite priests can sometimes cast True Resurrection to bring back the deceased "heroes of the world" when there's need of it).

What I meant, is that in the FR everyone and everything gets blown up and then comes back all the time, to the point where both the deaths and their undoing are cheap.

I agree and am aware of the costs of resurrection. I haven't seen that other post, but what you've said is familiar to me.

The thing is, Drizzt & co aren't exactly your average Joes, not by a long shot. I mean, heck, with Mithril Hall, they had the treasuries of one dwarven kingdom, and now with Gauntylgrm... yeah, I don't think the costs of resurrection are prohibitive to them. :P

Edit: And with all the grand deeds that they've accomplished, finding an appropriate level cleric shouldn't be too difficult either.

The thing that I struggle with a lot in Bob's books is that it's difficult to reconcile all of what's stated as happening without coming to some really far-fetched conclusions sometimes. It often feels like we need to do the thinking for him or come up with elaborate scenarios to explain why things are the way they are. I don't feel like that's how a book should be, but that's just my opinion. Like this thing with Zak coming back, as the most recent example of this sort of gaping inconsistency., with one of the next most recent inconsistencies being Artemis' (lack of) history with Khazid'hea. Many times, I wonder why these brilliant and seasoned characters don't think of a really obvious solution, and the only thing that makes sense is that they're actually not as brilliant as they're made out to seem. I don't know. It's really frustrating.

Edited by - sno4wy on 16 Oct 2016 17:16:11
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2016 :  17:16:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, that's true too, and I can understand what you're saying (both for the resurrection and the idiot-ball syndrome). Another example would be why people as powerful as the 7 sisters don't resurrect their loved ones, but then there is always the possibility of resurrection for random characters.

The thing is: if death can be undone at any time, why even bother with it? It reduces risks and introduces the need for a character to be disintegrated in order to make their death last any long (and even then, at a certain power level, death is merely a setback, so you need BS like "soul destroying" weapons to make it matter. And even in that case, they won't work--see LP--). The fact that people can return as a ghost and be essentially themselves but with an ethereal body makes death even more irrelevant. On the other side of the spectrum, death loses its value if it's done too often and cheaply, like WotC did when handling the Realms.

So, at this point, death really has 0 value in the Realms as a whole (IMO at least).

Edited by - Irennan on 16 Oct 2016 17:18:59
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2016 :  17:20:37  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Btw, @CD didn't RAS once tell you that Zak was in Green Fields? Lol

Yes, he did lol, though I think he was getting it mixed up with the name of another plane. Given how little Bob likes to deal with gods (at least until his most recent works), it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't familiar with the names.

I will have to reat the book for myself and draw my own conclusions, but this does make me happy, even as it raises questions.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2016 :  17:20:44  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

Agreed. Entreri, I'd even argue, had it harder than Drizzt. Sure, Drizzt lived in a dystopian society, but he always had at least one shining beacon to guide him through. There was Zak, who loved him unconditionally, and then there was Gwen, always at his side, so much so that she shattered magical constraints that are supposed to be absolute. I personally find that pretty lame and one of the many traits that make Drizzt a Gary Stu, but whatever, it is what it is. Artemis, on the other hand, didn't have that, and stilled walked a very dark path. Was his world darker than Drizzt's? Maybe, maybe not, it's really hard to say. However, it's about the relative darkness, which is so much deeper when one does not have a guiding light.

I would argue that the way that Bob forced Artemis to walk the path of redemption does, in fact, drive home the moral that one can't expect to find happiness without conforming to societal expectations, of being good and the like. The thing is, many people are troubled or traumatized, and they can't do that. I'm not saying that it's ok for these people to go out and kill other people or commit crimes of other natures, but there needs to be the understanding that everyone needs to be able to cope their own way. I've always hated Drizzt for how invalidating he's always been towards Artemis. He's never bothered to get to know the man, only basing his judgments on his assumptions and surface observations, and in the end he's all like, "Yay Artemis has become what I'd always hoped!!" It's vapid and stupid. At least Jarlaxle, for all of his proclivities towards manipulating others, at least sincerely tried to figure out who Artemis is and what were the things driving and torturing him.

Drizzt was indeed very lucky by meeting so many people that supported him and gave him hope for the better. Zak, Clacker, Belwar, Montolio, Companions of the Hall in general...the guy was very lucky by hardly ever being betrayed by those he trusted the most. Regarding people like his "mom" and other meanier dark elves his expectations were never high therefore he was hardly ever particularly disappointed.

Despite living in an evil society Drizzt managed to stay pure by not being exposed to certain mind breaking practices that folks like Arty or Dahlia experienced. In fact when Drizzt learned that Dahlia was raped he could barely comprehend it and was unsure how he would find any common ground with her there. Clearly neither his sisters nor other peers never molested -much less raped- him as a kid. Would Drizzt still kept his ideals if say...Zak and Belwar sold him into slavery and let slavers do disgusting stuff to him on top of that.

It shows how one of Drizzt's main faults there is how he judged other people so easily by painting them as good or evil while knowing so little about them or what drove them to villainy or to become so disillusioned with the world in general. Or that can there be a way of living that is fair enough without being at the same high standards that he believes necessary for one to be "good".

Drizzt for all he suffered is still quite naive which is why Dahlia says that despite being so much younger than him she is much more experienced when it comes to understanding life. Being such a paragon of virtue Drizzt can often be despite himself a bit too self righteous IMO...

Perhaps in a way Arty or other "evil" people becoming just like him(redeemed) would confirm him that his path is the right one. Drizzt is a character filled with so much doubt about everything in his life that he seems to need some sort of proof to keep believing in a better future. Being a guy who does not believe in gods the same way others do he just stays true to what his heart tells him is right.

Alas those doubts are strong and IMO this is why he was hit so hard with the "mental illness" in Maestro.

Edited by - Shadolan on 16 Oct 2016 17:33:11
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2016 :  22:14:25  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout
Erm...in all honesty, that just made me SO happy. Omg! I am actually really excited now lol.

*shrug* I really liked Zaknafein at one point, but then over time I just realized that he never had much dimension to his character. I mean, what's there to his personality other than that he as the first representation in Bob's books of what most male drow in a Lolthite society felt like? Oh, and his love for his son, I suppose... but other than that, I felt he was quite bland. I could never understood why people were as into him as they were.

Bob's books have always been inconsistent, but those issues have gotten big and just world-breakingly glaring now. Bob explicitly said that Lolth didn't have Zak, which begged the question of, well, who did? Especially since Mielikki hadn't entered the picture yet and Bob refuses to acknowledge Eilistraee. But now, Lolth is the one to return Zak, so... in the end, she had him all along? Wut?

My head is one big spinning jumbled mess in regards to Bob's books. I'm really honestly glad that there will be no more Drizzt, hopefully not anyway, even if that doesn't bode well for the FR novel line.

That level of spite is absurd and completely illogical. You don't have to read any of Salvatore's books. If the novel line continues, you can read the authors you enjoy and not read Drizzt books. But you're so against the idea of that particular story, that you would rather not get to read any more books if the novel line ends than have Drizzt continue.

Thousands and thousands of people have expressed sadness that the Drizzt books are ending, and you're happy because they won't get to enjoy those novels anymore. That's insane. Doesn't it make more logical sense for you to be happy ignoring anything Salvatore writes and also being happy that those who do enjoy him get to read the books?

The same group of purists who whined endlessly about 4e are the ones who brought us 4e. WOTC got so tired of hearing them whine that they just (stupidly) destroyed everything that anyone complained about, all at once. But my goodness, I just don't understand it. Should we start a petition for WOTC to declare all Drizzt books non canon? Are the Cadderly books ok, or should those be non canon as well? At what point will you feel that Salvatore's influence has been sufficiently purged from Forgotten Realms?
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2016 :  22:21:33  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, some people snark because they care. :)
Have you never really loved a series and griped all the more because you felt it could have been better if not for executive decisions and pressure? Say, the last two X-Files seasons, the alternative star Trek timeline, the rushed ending of Twin Peaks, some of the latest Simpson seasons...
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2016 :  22:24:05  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten
The same group of purists who whined endlessly about 4e are the ones who brought us 4e. WOTC got so tired of hearing them whine that they just (stupidly) destroyed everything that anyone complained about, all at once.

I wasn't there when WotC decided to make 4e, but from what I've read, WotC did exactly the contrary of that. They didn't listen to the fans of the setting, who (for the most part) complained *against* the changes that would have led to 4e.

Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2016 :  22:29:19  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, trying to attract a new crowd while the old fans keep 3.5 around. Or something.
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2016 :  22:31:55  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That level of spite is absurd and completely illogical. You don't have to read any of Salvatore's books. If the novel line continues, you can read the authors you enjoy and not read Drizzt books. But you're so against the idea of that particular story, that you would rather not get to read any more books if the novel line ends than have Drizzt continue.

Thousands and thousands of people have expressed sadness that the Drizzt books are ending, and you're happy because they won't get to enjoy those novels anymore. That's insane. Doesn't it make more logical sense for you to be happy ignoring anything Salvatore writes and also being happy that those who do enjoy him get to read the books?

The same group of purists who whined endlessly about 4e are the ones who brought us 4e. WOTC got so tired of hearing them whine that they just (stupidly) destroyed everything that anyone complained about, all at once. But my goodness, I just don't understand it. Should we start a petition for WOTC to declare all Drizzt books non canon? Are the Cadderly books ok, or should those be non canon as well? At what point will you feel that Salvatore's influence has been sufficiently purged from Forgotten Realms?

I think that this is a love/hate attitude. On one hand, someone was a really big fan once but after some time the "magic" started disappearing or the writing/characters started going in a direction that was seen as wrong. So despite themselves they keep reading either hoping despite themselves that the magic that captured them will be back or simply due to attachment and nostalgia alone.

Also possibly -like one member said- because they still care and some of the biggest fans are the harshest critics.

Edited by - Shadolan on 16 Oct 2016 22:32:49
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2016 :  00:03:43  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I feel the Drizzt novels have to end at some point, but I would be heartbroken if it ended badly, and from the spoiler, it sounds like an ending I can feel happy about, but I haven't actually read the book yet. I'm a sap and typical fangirl in the way I view some things. If this is indeed the last Drizzt book-and the last FR book--then I want it to end happily.

I am sad the FR novel line as a whole seems to be coming to an end.

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 17 Oct 2016 00:04:23
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2016 :  01:41:22  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:
Erm...in all honesty, that just made me SO happy. Omg! I am actually really excited now lol.

*shrug* I really liked Zaknafein at one point, but then over time I just realized that he never had much dimension to his character. I mean, what's there to his personality other than that he as the first representation in Bob's books of what most male drow in a Lolthite society felt like? Oh, and his love for his son, I suppose... but other than that, I felt he was quite bland. I could never understood why people were as into him as they were.

Bob's books have always been inconsistent, but those issues have gotten big and just world-breakingly glaring now. Bob explicitly said that Lolth didn't have Zak, which begged the question of, well, who did? Especially since Mielikki hadn't entered the picture yet and Bob refuses to acknowledge Eilistraee. But now, Lolth is the one to return Zak, so... in the end, she had him all along? Wut?

My head is one big spinning jumbled mess in regards to Bob's books. I'm really honestly glad that there will be no more Drizzt, hopefully not anyway, even if that doesn't bode well for the FR novel line.

You've apparently misunderstood my meaning. I'm hoping that's accidental instead of deliberate, but I'm honestly not sure given that you've made it about attacking me personally.

First, I don't know where you're getting the whole, "But you're so against the idea of that particular story, that you would rather not get to read any more books if the novel line ends than have Drizzt continue" idea from. The novel lines are ending. There is no doubt about that. My own preferences has no bearing or influence on the matter. None of ours do. I'm expressing how I feel in light of this, and especially about the context with regards to the Drizzt books.

"Thousands and thousands of people have expressed sadness that the Drizzt books are ending, and you're happy because they won't get to enjoy those novels anymore." Nope, this isn't my being happy that other people will be unhappy. Again, you're twisting my words so that you can personally attack me, and I have no idea why you're doing this. I'm happy the Drizzt books are ending. That doesn't equate into my being happy about other people being sad about it. Do you see the difference? As for, "Doesn't it make more logical sense for you to be happy ignoring anything Salvatore writes and also being happy that those who do enjoy him get to read the books?" yup, completely, and that's what I'd do, except the novel line is ending. Again, how I personally feel, or how anyone feels for that matter, won't change that. Don't attack me for stating the facts.

I'm not even going to bother addressing the rest of your response aimed at me, it's just too stupid to try to unravel. I've seen your posts Lilianviaten, and although I don't always agree with you, you're better than this. If you truly want to antagonize me over a bunch of misconstructions that exist solely in your head, that's your prerogative. However, I suggest that you get your emotions under control before blowing my post out of proportion.

Edited by - sno4wy on 17 Oct 2016 02:03:01
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2016 :  03:13:32  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2 more likely not so spoilerish questions:

- Does the book address the reason why Arty became so long lived or is it pretty much confirmed that it was his sword that did so?

- Does Drizzt actually replace Twinkle with Lullaby(Tiago's sword) or does he just give that powerful blade to someone else?
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2016 :  18:37:04  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it was already confirmed that Arty was long lived because his vampiric dagger stole the life of a Shade who imbued him with longevity.

My more spoilerish question:
What happens to Kimmuriel in the book?
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2016 :  21:43:01  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I thought it was already confirmed that Arty was long lived because his vampiric dagger stole the life of a Shade who imbued him with longevity.

My more spoilerish question:
What happens to Kimmuriel in the book?

Tbh ever since the Neverwinter Saga it was said how Arty is living so long not due to the shade infusion but rather thanks to Charon's Claw giving him actual longevity/agelessness.

Though Jarlaxle during the Last Threshold wasn't sure as to why Arty still lives. In Maestro it was revealed that Charon's Claw wasn't destroyed and it may it actually be the sword after all but there is still a bit of ambiguity left.

So I wondered if some "twist" happened or if the sword is 100% confirmed. If the latter then Charon's Claw sure is badass. On top of its cutting power it can also make folks immune to age? Impressive.
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  05:16:00  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just finished the ARC; I have mixed feelings about it.

On the one hand, for me the story of Drizzt & the CoTH was getting very stale some time ago, so I'm not unhappy that the saga has come to and end (or has it?????!!! ).

Some things I liked (spoilers, so highlight to see):

- Yvonnel & her interactions with other drow.
- The big baddie succubus queen storyline
- Regis and his little friends
- Entreri & Dahlia

Some things I didn't:

- Tecumseh Bracegirdle as a halfling name. Simultaneously ridiculous & lazy. RAS really takes the p*ss with a lot of his character names.
- Drizzt, simultaneously being Gary Stu, and having a mental breakdown that did not suspend my disbelief.
- The description of 'dirty dwarves' and especially Pikel made me grind my teeth. I never want to hear a dwarf saying "Oooo!" again.
- The "Drizzt defies Lolth, and lives" bit. I thought she's supposed to be evil??? If RAS had gone 'Game of Thrones meets Quentin Tarantino', and it all ended in a mad bloodbath with the heads of the CoTH on spikes, I would have been more satisfied.

If this is the last CoTH novel, I wish that some character stories were wrapped up (that weren't), and that some characters were given more focus; I'm sick of Drizzt, Cattie, Regis & Wulfgar, but I think some of RAS' later characters are more interesting & have potential for interesting stories:

- No mention of Doum'wielle & her family. I thought her storyline was very interesting, and it was disappointing that she was not mentioned.
- I would have liked the Entreri, Dahlia & Effron relationships & story fleshed-out more. "It's complicated" is an understatement; if RAS writes about them in a spin-off story in future, I would be very happy.

Edited by - BenN on 19 Oct 2016 05:18:38
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  07:02:03  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... can *you* maybe let me know more about what happens to the alternative companions? Are we getting a goth 90ties CotH alternative? What happens to Afafrenfere, Amber, and Effron? I am thinking of the scene before the Yeti fight in NotH, and it looked to me like Effron and Dahlia didn't work out as travelling companions, no matter how much emotional ballast they had in regards to each other. I was always hoping for Amber, Afafrenfere, and Effron travelling together, and, say, becoming travellinf ghostbusters or whatever. A monk, a warlock with lots of knowledge from his former apprenticeship about the undead, and a cleric...
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  07:30:08  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DandelionClock

What happens to Afafrenfere, Amber, and Effron?

Afafrenfere: Alive & kicking at the Monastery of the Yellow Rose.

Amber: Brief appearance as one of Bruenor's bodyguards (along with Athrogate)

Effron: Briefly mentioned (no appearance), setting up in residence in the rebuit Hosttower of the Arcane.

Also, Dahlia makes a brief appearance or two. Recovered from insanity, in a relationship with Entreri, but seems to be lacking her previous fiery character. I guess she misses her pointy electro-shock stick.

Edited by - BenN on 19 Oct 2016 07:32:43
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  07:31:18  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops sorry for the doop.

Edited by - BenN on 19 Oct 2016 07:32:17
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  07:52:11  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.
Okay.
That really isn't much. :(
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  07:52:48  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Content-wise, I mean. Not in regards to your answer. :)
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  08:07:40  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do Entreri and Drizzt get some cool fight in this book? Do they beat some badass opponent?
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  08:20:54  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadolan

Do Entreri and Drizzt get some cool fight in this book? Do they beat some badass opponent?

Yes and yes (well sorta; if by 'beat', you mean 'get their asses handed to them, and barely make it out of there alive').

Edited by - BenN on 19 Oct 2016 08:22:13
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  08:29:28  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

quote:
Originally posted by Shadolan

Yes and yes (well sorta; if by 'beat', you mean 'get their asses handed to them, and barely make it out of there alive').

Interesting.

I recall how RAS said somewhere that Grandmaster Kane fights with Drizzt or Entreri but I couldn't be sure if he meant as an ally or as an opponent? If the former then does Drizzt or Arty give enough of a good fight to be acknowledged by him as great warriors or something?

Also is there finally an outright explanation for Arty's longevity or was it Charon's Claw 100% confirmed?

Finally, is it explained what happened to Calihye? Arty was thinking about her quite a few times in the previous books so I though that RAS might have resolved that plotline.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  14:19:03  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read it yet, but I don't understand why people think it should have ended with everyone dead in an epic battle. What's wrong with a happy ending, especially for a series that has been going on for so long? A sad ending for such an epic series would leave a bad taste in my mouth. Plus, if this is truly the las FR novel, shouldn't it end on a good note?

Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  15:06:00  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I haven't read it yet, but I don't understand why people think it should have ended with everyone dead in an epic battle. What's wrong with a happy ending, especially for a series that has been going on for so long? A sad ending for such an epic series would leave a bad taste in my mouth. Plus, if this is truly the las FR novel, shouldn't it end on a good note?

Guess its because tragic endings are more original and bring forth much stronger emotions from the readers making it perhaps more memorable.

Despite that I'm damn glad that there is a happy ending. After like 30 books and so many years of reading RAS books I do not want to feel depressed as I read the final page of the book. I want Entreri and Drizzt to have a happy and full of hope ending, cliche or not.

I'm really glad that Entreri had found his true love by the end and I hope that any signs of insanity that Drizzt got in the previous book are completely gone by the end of "Hero".

Is is so strange to cheer for characters one grew attached after so many years? ^^

Edited by - Shadolan on 19 Oct 2016 15:23:22
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  15:11:59  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tragic endings are no more "original" than happy endings (and both have been a thing ever since people started telling stories, i.e. since forever). The right ending for a story depends on the themes of that story and its characters, IMO. If hope has been a common theme throughout a tale, then a "doom and gloom" ending won't fit, if you ask me (unless the author wants to tell the readers that all that the message that they have received up to the end isn't true, and that hope and not giving up sometimes won't cut it. But then, it has to be done really well in order to feel appropriate. Same for a tale of despair with a good ending). Ofc, there aren't only tragic and fairy-tale endings, there are also in-betweens.

Edited by - Irennan on 19 Oct 2016 15:18:05
Go to Top of Page

Sothron
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  03:45:41  Show Profile Send Sothron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has it been confirmed that this is the last book in both the series and in FR? I can't believe Wotc would just turn down free money with how popular the Drizzt series has been.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  09:36:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sothron

Has it been confirmed that this is the last book in both the series and in FR? I can't believe Wotc would just turn down free money with how popular the Drizzt series has been.

No to either point, but that's not stopped a lot of negative speculation.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Onyx1978
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  17:08:11  Show Profile Send Onyx1978 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If everything is fine in the end, is maybe going to be a father, too?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000