Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 So how come no one is discussing SKT?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  05:07:41  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
I still want to know what her amazing diet-plan was (after the story-arc was over)!

Her weight loss diet-plan subsisted strictly of of rock gnomes, and no other foods. The rock gnomes were gritty, and so they were a high fiber diet. It also helped reduce her cholesterol.

Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2016 :  00:18:01  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley
Thanks for info but timejumping Volo doesn't help this example a bit. I picked one non-immortal and look what they did :-) My point was about breaking the story by looong pause.

You're welcome. Given that the time jump occurred 8 years ago now, I would have thought people would be over it. Clearly not.

-- George Krashos

I would say that wrong descisions do not age well... as do Volo apparently :-) I do not see a reason to get in terms with the time-jump if I am not interested in playing in that era.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2016 :  00:57:57  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

For those interested, Chris Perkins has confirmed on twitter that Cimber and the Ring of Winter will appear again sometime next year.
https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/774770077694517248

There's also a lot of chatter over on enworld that the next adventure, codenamed "Labyrinth", will be set in Undermountain. There's not much basis for this outside the movie supposedly being set in Waterdeep...yet.

Anyway, these two factoids probably aren't connected, but ooooh boy would I love a Waterdeep/Undermountain set module or sourcebook.

When I found out that they were moving away from the Sword Coast and that Cimbar and the Ring of Winter were invovled and that the next Adventure was called Labyrinth, I realized the next adventure is like in Chult in the ruins of Mezro.

It explains why they left the city of Mezro a ruin, which surprised me.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2016 :  00:59:11  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How Volo survived is in Ed Greenwoods novel Death Masks, easily on too.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2016 :  07:54:32  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

When I found out that they were moving away from the Sword Coast and that Cimbar and the Ring of Winter were invovled and that the next Adventure was called Labyrinth, I realized the next adventure is like in Chult in the ruins of Mezro.

What source did you hear this from? That they're (finally) moving away from Sword Coast adventures?

Mind you, I love the Sword Coast as a setting, and currently is the base of my upcoming campaign. But I just hate that every year, some cataclysmic "epic" upheaval attempts to ruin the Sword Coast. IMHO the Sword Coast needs a rest for a while. I don't mind some upcoming SMALL adventures being based in the SC, but no more epic campaigns for a while.

I really think they should publish some small "modules", like the small old ones they used to have in the old school AD&D. Like Keep on the Borderlands, or Shrine of the Kuo-Toa, etc. I love those kinds of adventures where you can finish it in a weekend with your group, and if they survive they might advance 1 or 2 levels at most. And once done, they move on to another "small adventure" in a completely different region or locale. Do any of the 3rd parties publish these sorts of adventures for 5e?

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2016 :  15:54:03  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone said it on Enworld, I'll look it up later.
Go to Top of Page

oknazevad
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2016 :  05:04:05  Show Profile Send oknazevad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

What source did you hear this from? That they're (finally) moving away from Sword Coast adventures?

Mind you, I love the Sword Coast as a setting, and currently is the base of my upcoming campaign. But I just hate that every year, some cataclysmic "epic" upheaval attempts to ruin the Sword Coast. IMHO the Sword Coast needs a rest for a while. I don't mind some upcoming SMALL adventures being based in the SC, but no more epic campaigns for a while.

I really think they should publish some small "modules", like the small old ones they used to have in the old school AD&D. Like Keep on the Borderlands, or Shrine of the Kuo-Toa, etc. I love those kinds of adventures where you can finish it in a weekend with your group, and if they survive they might advance 1 or 2 levels at most. And once done, they move on to another "small adventure" in a completely different region or locale. Do any of the 3rd parties publish these sorts of adventures for 5e?

Quite a few. A lot of them in PDF form through the DMsGuild online store.

That's also where you can get the Adventurer's League modules, which are likewise smaller in level range. AL is the organized play program run through game stores. The idea is that a DM can run an open game in a store using one of those, and the players can drop in and play using any character they have. The players piece together their characters' experience through different modules in a fashion that makes the character portable to any level-appropriate AL session in any store, while the DM can piece together an ongoing campaign for regulars at a given store. They have released them for home pay as well, and they tend to be solid if short adventures; a lot of stores run AL on Wednesday nights for about 4 hours, so the modules are tailored to that.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2016 :  08:18:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was talking about Karma's diet plan, not the fat.. oops... must be PC - 'Plus sized' Hill giant.
It was like, the next time we see her she was all skinny and hot again - not even flabs of empty skin hanging off her. Maybe they got that Morlock - Masque? - to remodel her flesh or something. It was so long ago, back when I still read comics.

As for you comment George, its one of those things we "never forget". We (fans) used to make rude comments about 4e lore being 'the nails in the coffin', but it was the timejump that closed the lid on the Realms.

Back to the topic - although the mini is interesting, I can't see buying something that you would only use once. I can just get one of those little $1 Buddas from a dollar store and sub that in.

If I ever run an RPG game again. Its going to be post-apocalyptic. I've grown weary of fantasy and the endless repetitive tropes.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Sep 2016 08:19:41
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2016 :  20:20:00  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Back to the topic - although the mini is interesting, I can't see buying something that you would only use once. I can just get one of those little $1 Buddas from a dollar store and sub that in.

Yes, as a DM, buying a $30 mini is a poor investment I agree. But I pointed out that I'm also a collector. Through a collector's point of view, we sometimes see unique minis as an investment. And so I know exactly what the price/value of that (unique limited quantity) Chief Guh mini will be on eBay in about a year or two. So I have a good idea when I will more than get my return on investment back (or not).

Edited by - moonbeast on 13 Sep 2016 20:20:48
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2016 :  21:25:55  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one who stared at the pages in disbelieve after reading the plot around Maegara (the primordial under Gauntlgrym)?

Spoiler highlight to read

Some fire giant wants her and so he hires some drow who just sneak in, use an iron flask to trap her, and walk out with her. Maybe that's a tit-for-tat response to Salvatore ignoring so much FR lore in his books that this plothook is now basically ignoring everything Robert wrote about her power and the trap that is holding her.

So much wrong with that I just couldn't believe they seriously put this in SKT

Edited by - Mirtek on 13 Sep 2016 21:26:52
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  03:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As for you comment George, its one of those things we "never forget". We (fans) used to make rude comments about 4e lore being 'the nails in the coffin', but it was the timejump that closed the lid on the Realms.

That is as close to my view as you can get...
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  04:07:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

Am I the only one who stared at the pages in disbelieve after reading the plot around Maegara (the primordial under Gauntlgrym)?

Some fire giant wants her and so he hires some drow who just sneak in, use an iron flask to trap her, and walk out with her.

Wait, do they literally write that (spoiler) some effin' godlike creature was trapped in a flask by a random drow? I can't even...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Sep 2016 04:08:03
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  07:32:01  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

Some fire giant wants her and so he hires some drow who just sneak in, use an iron flask to trap her, and walk out with her.

Wait, do they literally write that (spoiler) some effin' godlike creature was trapped in a flask by a random drow? I can't even...

Indeed. She's not even the most powerfull being in the adventure, for some reason she's a CR23 which is something that mortal dragons can have and Slarkrethel is CR25 (I get that he's powerful but more than several demonlords and a primordial?)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  12:50:05  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That one is a head scratcher..

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  12:55:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

That's certainly one (generous) way to describe it.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  14:01:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Is it *an* iron flask, or a particular one? It's core canon that the Iron Flask of Tuerny the Merciless is an artifact capable of containing multiple greater tanar'ri...

That artifact goes back to 1E, though the 2E Book of Artifacts gave it more of a write-up and made it more powerful.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  14:07:15  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't tell, since I don't own the book yet. But even considering such an artifact, is it supposed make some drow able to just walk up to the entity, suck them in, and then walk out (because this is what seems to have happened, from the description)?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  15:12:30  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's just called an Iron Flask in the book... make of it what you will.

I figure this was WotC's way of statting up a "Nasty-Bad"!!!!

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 14 Sep 2016 15:13:12
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  15:15:42  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

That's certainly one (generous) way to describe it.

-- George Krashos

Indeed and the Doppleganger Dwarven King is another one.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  15:50:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't tell, since I don't own the book yet. But even considering such an artifact, is it supposed make some drow able to just walk up to the entity, suck them in, and then walk out (because this is what seems to have happened, from the description)?

The write-up just speaks of it containing imprisoned fiends. However, one of the suggested means of destruction is "The user must imprison 99 other greater
tanar'ri in the Flask" -- which indicates other powerful types can be imprisoned in it.

Also, it's not unprecedented in Realmslore for objects to contain powerful entities. Myrkul bound himself to the Crown of Horns and Savras was imprisoned in a staff for quite some time. And isn't the primordial under Gauntylgrym bound there?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Sep 2016 15:51:12
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  15:56:55  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but my point was: shouldn't it take something big to imprison a godlike entity? Even with an artifact, it shouldn't be a task that your next drow for hire would be able to do. Especially not with ease. I can't tell if the drow did that like a walk in the park, but the description given here made it sound like that.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  15:59:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont see what the problem is. This is 5e, handwaiving away the imprisonment of an uber powerful being like a primordial is one of the least fudging things they have done to the setting

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  16:10:36  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I dont see what the problem is. This is 5e, handwaiving away the imprisonment of an uber powerful being like a primordial is one of the least fudging things they have done to the setting

You have a point. But at least, most of the handwaving was done to bring back what was lost. This is supposedly part of a new plot. But yeah, you do have a point.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  16:40:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really i waa just being sarcastic. Esoecially since i feel their attemots to bring back what was lost failed. This edition has less atmosphere than 4e so i have trouble seeing how people care what happens in it.

It is a poor way to deal with an event that should and could have been a major adventure in itself. Im with you on the wtf moment here. I just care less because its 5e, so apologies for being a kn*b.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  17:03:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, but my point was: shouldn't it take something big to imprison a godlike entity? Even with an artifact, it shouldn't be a task that your next drow for hire would be able to do. Especially not with ease. I can't tell if the drow did that like a walk in the park, but the description given here made it sound like that.

Artifacts are unique and powerful. Look at Akar Kessel and Crenshinibon -- he could barely manage a cantrip, and he became a deadly threat.

So while I'm not cool with the idea of some untrained yahoo doing something remarkable with an artifact, it's not unprecedented.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  17:08:35  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@dazzlerdal Well, you do have a point that 5e makes a habit of handwaving explanations. Even their bringing back what was lost, was actually some kind of in-world retcon for most things.

@Wooly I see, but when you're facing a creature that is essentially godlike? And according to what Brimstone said, the book doesn't even mention an artifact. They definitely dropped the ball there.

EDIT: The Iron Flask can be found in the DMG. It's a magic item (not artifact) capable of trapping an outisder as long as you are at most 60 ft from to them. They then need to succeed a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw in game mechanics, which is something that a primordial, a godlike creature, should have little trouble doing...

https://open5e.com/equipment/magic-items/iron-flask.html

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Sep 2016 17:20:20
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  18:32:35  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This special named flask featured in the last adventure path in printed dragon. Iggliv gives it to the PCs to collect the leftovers of demogorgon if they defeat him. It's stated that it couldn't imprission an living demonlord.

Yet ignoring the issue of a mere iron flask containing a primirdial, there are the two other issues of

a) it evidently bring able to just suck it out from the epic prison that's supposed to contain it

b) the drow just casually strolling into the most important place in all of gauntlgrym through .... wait for it ... a secret tunnel the dwarves just never noticed. Luckily dwarves are not a race that's supposed to have an uncanny stonecunning or something, that would certainly make this subplot even Mord stupid for sure

Edited by - Mirtek on 14 Sep 2016 18:33:05
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  18:38:33  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meh. Is the drow at least a relevant NPC, with some particular skills? But then, why even care at this point, I guess :/

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  19:23:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@dazzlerdal Well, you do have a point that 5e makes a habit of handwaving explanations. Even their bringing back what was lost, was actually some kind of in-world retcon for most things.

@Wooly I see, but when you're facing a creature that is essentially godlike? And according to what Brimstone said, the book doesn't even mention an artifact. They definitely dropped the ball there.

EDIT: The Iron Flask can be found in the DMG. It's a magic item (not artifact) capable of trapping an outisder as long as you are at most 60 ft from to them. They then need to succeed a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw in game mechanics, which is something that a primordial, a godlike creature, should have little trouble doing...

https://open5e.com/equipment/magic-items/iron-flask.html

The regular iron flask and the artifact one are two totally separate beasts.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  19:26:30  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know. What I meant to say is that the regular Iron Flask, which is the one used in the book, couldn't contain a Primordial.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000