Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Heretics of Midnight
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2016 :  03:47:03  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Was Midnight ever worshipped separately from Mystra like the Aumauntor/Lathander schism?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2016 :  07:42:45  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Midnight ever worshipped apart from mystra??? I'm sure she was worshipped by whomever she took to her bed before she became Mystra, but ptherwise to my knowledge, no she hasn't been worshipped as a goddess outside of mystra

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2016 :  02:54:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Was Midnight ever worshipped separately from Mystra like the Aumauntor/Lathander schism?

That's a damn good question, and kind of something I've been pondering. I somewhat suspect that the Mystra post-sundering is the same Mystra that was pre-ToT, and that Midnight/Mystra is still trapped in Abeir (where the plane of dweomerheart actually was shunted following the spellplague, as part of a powerful "contingency" effect).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2016 :  03:16:48  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

That's a damn good question, and kind of something I've been pondering. I somewhat suspect that the Mystra post-sundering is the same Mystra that was pre-ToT, and that Midnight/Mystra is still trapped in Abeir (where the plane of dweomerheart actually was shunted following the spellplague, as part of a powerful "contingency" effect).

That I recall, in Ed's novels it is said that the current Mystra is much more than just the latest incarnation, and that has access to all the Mystras every existed. I guess we could say that all the iterations of Mystra live in the current one.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 18 Sep 2016 03:16:59
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2016 :  11:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that Midnight is a daughter of former Mystra. She seemed to have picked her up even before ToT and already invested a lot in her prior to giving her the necklace.

I haven't heard or read about any worship of Midnight but it sounds really good and make sense. Since there is a slight change of attitude and she claims to be just a "new Mystra" the Midnight heresy makes perfect sense. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2016 :  13:40:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

I believe that Midnight is a daughter of former Mystra. She seemed to have picked her up even before ToT and already invested a lot in her prior to giving her the necklace.

Midnight was born a normal human; Hall of Heroes names her parents and her sister.

However, she is likely a descendant of Mystra (or Mystryl).

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I just had a thought... When Mystryl died, she dumped her power into a human girl.

Mystra 1.0 dumped a lot of her power into a human girl, too, before Midnight came along and got the rest of that power.

We also know that Mystra 1.0 possessed a mortal woman and had a slew of daughters with her, daughters that contained part of Mystra's essence...

What if Mystryl did the same thing? It's possible that the nameless girl who became Mystra was either a daughter of or a descendant of Mystryl. For that matter, a lot of magical anamolies could be explained that way -- maybe all of the non-Seven Chosen are descendants of Mystryl. Maybe some other odd cases, like wild talents, incantatrices, and even spellfire wielders are all descendants of Mystryl.

I might be wrong, but it's an interesting idea, thinks I.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

In some of my 'deep secrets' musings in this thread and others, I have had some indication by 'persons in the know' (can't remember the specifics... probably Ed via THO) that the artifact that is Mystra requires some sort of mortal connection. Exactly why and and how deep that connection must be has never been discussed, because it falls into that 'deep secrets' category. I am not sure if it has anything to do with her initial creation, or some rule imposed upon her later by Ao (or even something else).

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Markustay, you recall correctly - - and Wooly, you tread into dangerous ground, you wise and insightful hamster, you!
(Which is a not so subtle way of saying you're on to something, both of you.)

THO

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2016 :  13:43:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Officially, the transition from Mystra to Midnight was pretty smooth, likely due in no small part to Midnight taking her predecessor's name and having been chosen by that predecessor.

Page 30 of the old Forgotten Realms Adventures:

quote:
Unlike the similar succession of Cyric into the place of Bhaal, Bane, and Myrkul, the replacement of Mystra with Midnight occurred smoothly and without argument from the faithful followers. Midnight is revered within the church as the human avatar of Mystra and is said to be the chosen form of the goddess when she walks the Realms, seeking to rebalance the wild and magic-dead areas of the land.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2016 :  14:22:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For my own work on Netheril i am working on multiple theories and events that explain mystryl and mystra and mystra.

Ive made avrauntra into the being that gave sentience to the weave.

This sentience in the weave gives rise to the belief in a goddess of magic and the weave which becomes the church of mystryl.

Karsus' avatar spell foolishly chooses to steal his power from mystryl and the weave which as we know kills her.

At the same time however someone was working on creating a new set of nether scrolls so that they could add their own rules to the weave.

This is finished at the same time as marsus casts his spell. Magic ends and the new scrolls creation is disrupted. The magic from the crafting latches onto the nearest life source it can (the caster who also happens to be distantly related to Avrauntra) but is then snuffed out when the enclaves smashes into the ground and explodes.

Of course the nether scrolls cannot be destroyed, they reform and so does this new set, which is now a living being so it reforms as a new person who grows into someone looking a lot like myrjala darkeyes and who is able to control magic and the weave with her thoughts. She inspires worship as mystryl reborn and so the church of mystra is made.

As for midnight. Im not having a ToT in my realms (at least not the one as it happens in the books) but mystra dies (because that pasha in calimshan casts a version of the avatar spell again and all hell breaks loose).

Thats just how im spinning it, but i hate the god nonsense so im replacing it with people based events.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2016 :  09:28:17  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to add some food for thoughts - for me seven sisters are actually progeny of Selune and Mystra just invested into them later giving them the chosen status. It make more sense for me this way - they look and act more like Selune and it also explain why is she so weak as a god (she opened new field of battle in Realms themselves).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000