Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 So how come no one is discussing SKT?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2016 :  03:03:53  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

Got SKT yesterday, and put a pre-order in for Volo's Guide to Monsters when it comes out in November.

What's the Realmslore like?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2016 :  10:20:15  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just not intreasted in an adventure book, they've never worked for me, if I wanted a forgotten realms story told by someone else, I'd just buy a novel

Edited by - BrianDavion on 06 Sep 2016 10:20:42
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2016 :  22:39:06  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Picked it up today. Artus Cimber has a son... of course dear ol dad is off doing his own thing with the Ring Of Winter.

Chapter 3 is on the Savage Frontier.

I plan on really reading up on it tonight...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2016 :  02:43:25  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Picked it up today. Artus Cimber has a son... of course dear ol dad is off doing his own thing with the Ring Of Winter.

I plan on really reading up on it tonight...

I plan on picking it up eventually. The Intro Adventure has stats for the Tressym, so my crunch need for ownership is small. I'd be interested in what lore nuggets this puppy contains.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2016 :  06:01:08  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

Got SKT yesterday, and put a pre-order in for Volo's Guide to Monsters when it comes out in November.

What's the Realmslore like?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner - I'm dealing with water damage and black mold. But insurance is going to pay out!

Anyhow, the most notable is that Goldenfields is detailed quite well. Aside from that, information is updated for select areas in The North, Tribor and Everlund. But the book is mostly adventure and encounters.

- Ryan

Edited by - Rymac on 07 Sep 2016 06:04:22
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2016 :  08:13:49  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
any npcs noted in it?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2016 :  18:57:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, anyone got any solid details on this yet. Is the lore of decent quality.

Anyone got a quote as an example of one of the ancestor mounds for instance.

Does it add anything new to the old history of the realms or is it all current era.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2016 :  00:55:23  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still on chapter two. It details Bryn Shander, the Goldenfields, and Triboar. Of course each location has all of the usual factions sprinkled about with quests, and plot hooks. Which I am kind of finding tiresome now. From what I understand you could play this as a Zhentarim faction, or as Agents of The Lords Alliance and be good to go. Or play both ends against the middle. These three locations are mapped and well thought out. I can probably use them in a 1357ish game using the 5E Rules or whatever rule set you want..

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2016 :  12:03:59  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that problem with new era is that it is too far in the future. As was detailed in many sci-fy's if you awake in far future than all you cared about is already long dead and you are in different world even that names of the places are still the same. That is how I feel about all of those new products - they might be fine but not part of Realms for me. I am not interested in finding the name and deeds of Volo's grandchildren if I play in the time of midle-aged Volo himself.

My hopes for new Relams are that Ed would be able to sneak back in the spirit of the old realms but so far I am sceptical and it seems that they have not learned from 4th edition mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2016 :  16:24:08  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
was volo not in Ed's last book?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2016 :  16:28:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  04:22:29  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

There are definitely quite a few people on this forum that share your views, and are disappointed with everything being put out.
The last Forgotten Realms product I got was Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It was good enough to permanently make the "5e Realms" my home campaign. However I have little to no interest in getting any WotC books for the foreseeable future. The Sword Coast guide gave me enough to ground my take on the Realms and then run wild with it. Future supplements may contradict what I've worked on and so will have less value to me as a result.

That said, I don't buy adventures for the lore. I buy them for the story and mechanics. I'm not currently running 5e (and likely won't be for the foreseeable future) so the adventures have little to no value for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

I think that problem with new era is that it is too far in the future.
My take on the 5e Realms is "the more things change, the more they stay the same." I'm using that to basically import as much (or as little) as I want of the 2e Realms into my home campaign. For example the Mystra church is currently rebuilding and seeking out lost relics of the faith (there are currently no clerics of Mystra, but some wizards have taken to calling themselves priests of Mystra as they work to rebuild the church). Other locations on other hand, sound remarkably similar to how they did in the 1e/2e Realms.

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  08:15:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am not interested in finding the name and deeds of Volo's grandchildren if I play in the time of midle-aged Volo himself.

As I understand it, Ed has penned a tale that explains how Volo managed the time jump but WotC haven't published it (and likely won't). It might see an appearance in truncated form at the DMs Guild when Ed gets around to publishing his first work there.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  12:56:34  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnLynch

quote:

There are definitely quite a few people on this forum that share your views, and are disappointed with everything being put out.
The last Forgotten Realms product I got was Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It was good enough to permanently make the "5e Realms" my home campaign. However I have little to no interest in getting any WotC books for the foreseeable future. The Sword Coast guide gave me enough to ground my take on the Realms and then run wild with it. Future supplements may contradict what I've worked on and so will have less value to me as a result.

Replying to the bolded statement. Yes, you are right. Future supplements will, most definitely will contradict "the story so far". I know this for a fact after reading some updated lore on my fresh new copy (just arrived from Amazon) of Storm King's Thunder.

First, at cursory glance, it's a good Campaign Adventure. A really good adventure, if the DM loves "epic" campaigns. The story and narrative are quite good, sometimes hokey in a few places, but generally it's anchored by a good story and explained rather well, as to WHY the giants are running amok. Hint: something has gone wrong with the Ordning.

Now the lore. Most of the updated lore and "current events" in the North and Sword Coast is what I would expect. Yes, the giants rampage here and there, and smash a few villages that you've never heard of before (and therefore probably had no prior vested interest in). And then they also attack a couple of the towns that you DO care about, but those towns survive, it's not like they are burned to the ground and disappear from the Face of Faerun's Map. These are towns like Triboar, Goldenfields, etc.

As long as the Adventuring Heroes perform a decent defense of Goldenfields (for example), they can expect to thwart the giant-led attack (along with their goblinoid, and ogre allies), etc. And thus the town is generally spared. On the other hand, if the PCs really blow it and fail to properly assist in the town's defense, then it could be written that Goldenfields ends up falling to the Giants and will thus will be razed to the ground and cease to exist.

Now, what I absolutely hate. They messed around with my favorite Dwarven city…. Citadel Adbar. In this STK, it is revealed that Adbar no longer has a "dwarven king". We find out that Young King Harnoth (successor to the recently killed King Harbromm) actually died at the end of the recent war with the Orcs. But no one knew this.

Why not? Oh simple. Because the Royal Councilors hid the fact that the Young King Harnoth died in battle (few of his Mithril Knights survived). The Councilors were paranoid that the kingdom would fall apart (and morale would drop to zero) if the citizens heard that another of their kings died fighting the Orcs. It's bad enough that they lost their legendary King Harbromm just a few years back, and Harbromm was a beloved legendary king in the same league and contemporary of Bruenor Battlehammer and Emerus Warcrown of Felbarr.

Instead, the Councilors freakin hired a Doppelganger as a pretender, and the Doppelganger is now the "King Harnoth" of Adbar. No one else knows this, except for a few royal councilors of Citadel Adbar.

Really?? This type of "change" leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  13:43:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The idea in itself is not terrible (although how does one hire a doppelganger, its noy like they have a guild or hiring agency). It sounds like the execution is all wrong though.

They should have penned a rumour from a few of the surviving mithril knights that they saw the king killed for certain ( ie his head split by an axe) then have other rumours that thr king has been behaving oddly, he dismissed all his surviving mithril knights and recalls nothing of the events of the battle and even his wife thinks there is something wrong.

Then in a current clack there should be something about someone witnessing the murder of a local by a double of himself.

That should be enough to point dms and pcs in the right direction. Shouldnt be done on black and white though in case people want to keep the existing king

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  13:53:17  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like the Doppelganger idea because…. the way that the royal leaders of Adbar had been portrayed, they were honest, upstanding, austere, Lawful Good dwarves. Even the hundreds of Mithril Knights that fought with King Harnoth were described as dwarven paladins! Hence, this very deception (by the Royal Council) against their own people…. is very out of character.

But a small part of me…. (I hate to admit) sympathizes with the idea. In the 1480s, their legendary King Harbromm dies (fighting alongside Bruenor to retake Gauntlgrym). Then the crown princes Harnoth and Bromm assume rulership as twin co-kings. But soon after, we already know (from SCAG) that co-King Bromm also died fighting Orcs. Which leaves a single young King Harnoth as the sole ruler. Now with STK, we are also told that soon after his brother dies, during the final skirmishes of the Silver Marches war, King Harnoth is also killed, along with the host of dwarven knights. So now the Royal Council has a hard decision. How the hell do they tell their heart-broken people that their third king (in less than a decade) has also died in battle?

Edited by - moonbeast on 10 Sep 2016 14:04:12
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  14:02:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well even good people make mistakes (including murder if pushed). I use alignment as a guide rather than a rule. NPCs should be as varied and as complicated as real people to make them believable.

That being said, contuity of character, story, lore, history, or anything else is not a strong point of this current parody of the realms. Which i find breaks the immersion for me so i dont play in it.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  14:04:32  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still not out down under...

Hey at least the doppleganger Harnoth idea lines up with his sort of weird position in Archmage (I think?), where he's the only dwarven king that doesn't seem to interested in going to Gauntlgrym.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  14:20:02  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the current (pretender) King Harnoth is not a true dwarf. In one possible STK scenario, the giants' allies manage to "possess" some of the dwarven Mithral Knights, who then try to attack "King Harnoth". In the description on the battle, the Adventurers notice that the dwarven "king" is uncharacteristically hesistant to fight the would-be assassins, and he cowers behind a few of his personal bodyguards, who are shielding him from possible danger. The "king" is relying on the Adventurers to fight off the bad guys and keep him from getting killed.

A true dwarven king, of course, will not hesitate to fight anyone trying to assassinate him (right in his throne room)!
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  14:46:43  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, other FR lore that is included in this STK:

The Kraken Society has an important role in the overall plot.

Grandfather Tree is also a potential site in the adventure. But not really a must-go-to site. Looks like a side quest type of locale.

The son of Artemus Cimber is in STK. Of course there are (frost) giants that absolutely seek that Ring of Winter.

Uthgardt people are elaborated upon some more (SCAG also talked about them some). Some info on the northern Reghed barbarians as well.

Bryn Shander is a critical location for the adventure.

There is a boss fight in the Anauroch desert. Hmm what kind of "big creature" loves to rule in the desert, hmmm….

I absolutely love what they did with the stronghold of the Hill Giant Chief. Chief Guh….. she (yes, she!) is a ridicuoulsy HUUUUGE Hill Giant matron, she came in and drove off the other Hill Giant females, and she "took" their stupid husbands and made them her own. Her numerous husbands (and their slaves) pillage the countryside in hopes of finding all the food they can feed her. Those poor human farmers. She literally has eaten a dozen villages and everything edible in those villages, because she freakin looks bigger than most frost and fire giants. She is immense!

I just bought the D&D Minis miniature of her. This mini is definitely a collector's item.

http://www.minisgallery.com/dnd/dnd6/dnd6_chiefguh.jpg
http://www.minisgallery.com/dnd/dnd6.htm
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  16:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just come out and say it: the plotline turns out to have Iymrith manipulating everything, including the breakdown of giant culture. She's the final boss encounter. Which works...okay? Like if you must write off one of the Wyrms of the North, a 10 level long campaign arc or so seems like an alright treatment in scope.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  17:00:31  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That mini looks an awful lot like the king of Goblin-town from Hobbit movie fame.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  19:41:10  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

I absolutely love what they did with the stronghold of the Hill Giant Chief. Chief Guh….. she (yes, she!) is a ridicuoulsy HUUUUGE Hill Giant matron, she came in and drove off the other Hill Giant females, and she "took" their stupid husbands and made them her own. Her numerous husbands (and their slaves) pillage the countryside in hopes of finding all the food they can feed her. Those poor human farmers. She literally has eaten a dozen villages and everything edible in those villages, because she freakin looks bigger than most frost and fire giants. She is immense!

I just bought the D&D Minis miniature of her. This mini is definitely a collector's item.

http://www.minisgallery.com/dnd/dnd6/dnd6_chiefguh.jpg
http://www.minisgallery.com/dnd/dnd6.htm

That mini of Guh reminds me of when Shadow King possessed Karma from the New Mutants way back in the Day!

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 10 Sep 2016 19:43:28
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  21:31:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That mini of Guh reminds me of when Shadow King possessed Karma from the New Mutants way back in the Day!
I still want to know what her amazing diet-plan was (after the story-arc was over)!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Sep 2016 21:32:22
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  22:05:12  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

I am not interested in finding the name and deeds of Volo's grandchildren if I play in the time of midle-aged Volo himself.

As I understand it, Ed has penned a tale that explains how Volo managed the time jump but WotC haven't published it (and likely won't). It might see an appearance in truncated form at the DMs Guild when Ed gets around to publishing his first work there.

-- George Krashos

Thanks for info but timejumping Volo doesn't help this example a bit. I picked one non-immortal and look what they did :-) My point was about breaking the story by looong pause.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  22:11:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

I still want to know what her amazing diet-plan was (after the story-arc was over)!

IIRC she went into the desert to die and sweated away the fat...

Now if you mean Guh, the stupid Hill Giant thought that if she consumed enough food and became so big and fat, that the Giant Gods would elevate her to the top of the Ordoning.

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 10 Sep 2016 22:14:10
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  01:37:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks for info but timejumping Volo doesn't help this example a bit. I picked one non-immortal and look what they did :-) My point was about breaking the story by looong pause.

You're welcome. Given that the time jump occurred 8 years ago now, I would have thought people would be over it. Clearly not.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  03:38:58  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those interested, Chris Perkins has confirmed on twitter that Cimber and the Ring of Winter will appear again sometime next year.
https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/774770077694517248

There's also a lot of chatter over on enworld that the next adventure, codenamed "Labyrinth", will be set in Undermountain. There's not much basis for this outside the movie supposedly being set in Waterdeep...yet.

Anyway, these two factoids probably aren't connected, but ooooh boy would I love a Waterdeep/Undermountain set module or sourcebook.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  04:37:02  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

You're welcome. Given that the time jump occurred 8 years ago now, I would have thought people would be over it. Clearly not.

-- George Krashos

To be fair George, there is probably someone out there still upset about "The Time of Troubles"...

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 11 Sep 2016 04:37:37
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  04:39:25  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyway, these two factoids probably aren't connected, but ooooh boy would I love a Waterdeep/Undermountain set module or sourcebook.

I would too. I also want to see Halaster back. His death was truly, truly lame

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000