Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Holy $417, they did it.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  18:36:49  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
WotC just announced that you can now self-publish using 5E Forgotten Realms material on Dungeon Master's Guild.

See the article here.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  18:55:09  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. That is the best news I have seen since 3.5.

--Tim

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  19:26:35  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow indeed. That looks to be really awesome. Unleash the Realms Lorelords! So in theory, Ed could publish every single thing he has on the Realms now? Because that would be awesome.

I'd love to hear Ed and THO's thoughts on this. The materialistic weasel in me hopes to see the next 17 Volo's Guide lineup that I'll buy. :)
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  19:37:13  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Wow indeed. That looks to be really awesome. Unleash the Realms Lorelords! So in theory, Ed could publish every single thing he has on the Realms now? Because that would be awesome.

I'd love to hear Ed and THO's thoughts on this. The materialistic weasel in me hopes to see the next 17 Volo's Guide lineup that I'll buy. :)

That's what I thought as soon as I read this news.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  19:37:16  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

OMG..is that what this announcement translates to in English? Because if I can get Ed to put out Volo's Guide to the Moonsea or Volo's Guide to Sembia I will fund it myself!

THO - where are you?
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  20:07:28  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that's what it means as long as it's 5E for a rule set. Ed could update the entire world and do all the books he has wanted to write over the years, merchant trading, new Volo's Guides etc. We as a community definitely need to support this if it comes to pass.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  20:42:53  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen anything on the site (yet) that isn't 5E, but I'm planning on attending the Reddit Q&A to ask about it.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  21:12:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting move, what's the catch. I thought WoTC were adamant they would never make such a move again after 3e because they lost control of the product (and therefore in their eyes lost revenue) that was why the 4e version of the OGL was so restrictive.

Are there any legal eagles out there who can tell how this differs to the 3e and 4e and whether it is more or less restrictive for publishing your own works using their rules.

Again, what's the catch?

Just so we're clear I'm not being negative here, suspicious yes, negative no. If it is what it sounds like then this could be a very good thing (although I doubt FR stuff could be published since they didn't allow use of their names and other trademarked property under the 3e version).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  21:25:28  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can publish FR, as long as you do it on their website. The catch is that 1)it (obviously) won't be canon, unless WotC decides to make it so 2)you lose 50% of the profit.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  21:32:55  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did a bit more reading on this. I'd qualify this as a catch too. Apparently, if you create something and publish it there, another creator can come along and use any or all of what you put up for sale as long as they add meaningful content to it. Not sure how I feel about that. Maybe that doesn't matter if you look at it from a shared world perspective.

Edited by - Eilserus on 12 Jan 2016 21:43:19
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  22:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I can publish my Forgotten Realms adventures? Too cool. I have four or five drafts that I believe are solid adventures.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  22:29:29  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe so. I think they have to be 5E rules. I'm not entirely clear on what a person would have to do to publish something with a different rule set.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  22:34:41  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In order to publish FR adventures, you'd have to use the DMguild site, and only 5e rules are allowed there.

Edited by - Irennan on 12 Jan 2016 22:41:21
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  23:03:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  23:08:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Eric Boyd will take advantage of this...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  23:12:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds to me like this could be a response to the formation of TEGG. As much as I love FR I'd much prefer ed to succeed

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  23:53:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Sounds to me like this could be a response to the formation of TEGG. As much as I love FR I'd much prefer ed to succeed

I would expect these things to be entirely unrelated. TEGG doesn't publish Realms material, and this is -- at the moment -- for FR stuff.

Also, it's not the first time Ed has done something for a game company other than TSR/WotC. Heck, they didn't even blink when his Castlemourn setting came out. (Ditto when Monte Cook, formerly employed by WotC, came out with his mammoth Ptolus: The City by the Spire.)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  00:35:31  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to post some ideas, but I have never DMed before, and I have only played the game 4 or 5 times.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  01:12:27  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None of this self-published material would be considered canon though, would it?

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  01:23:08  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't believe so. It is stated that Wizards may choose to use the works created though, which would canonize it.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  01:40:22  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be really cool! Hmm...mine would be solely lore-based though, with no stats or mechanics. I could probably come up with an adventure, but it would be more for story purposes.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  02:55:50  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's one of the questions I have, whether a lore book or something of the sort could be put together as opposed to something like a straight adventure.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  03:02:21  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The article says:

''Creators can upload whatever kind of Forgotten Realms material they’d like to the Dungeon Masters Guild, but we’ll be featuring side treks, monsters, and backgrounds on the site.''

So I guess that the answer is yes, even if I don't know what they mean for featuring. Does the site have some special showcase function?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  03:52:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question is, will they want lore set in the "here and now" of the Realms (i.e. post-Sundering) or will they accept lore set in the 1350s DR, for example ...?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  03:55:11  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Idk, but the site is selling 2e and 3e sourcebooks, so I guess that lore about ''the past'' could be accepted. This is something that should be asked in the AMA.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  05:16:24  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We will have to start a thread about what info is revealed in the AMA, since not everyone will be able to make it...

Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  10:20:44  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Question is, will they want lore set in the "here and now" of the Realms (i.e. post-Sundering) or will they accept lore set in the 1350s DR, for example ...?

-- George Krashos

From the Facebook thread*:
"Also, play and create content for whatever era of the forgotten realms that you want to. You're not saddled with one specific chunk of time within the setting."

Not a direct answer to whether they'll sell all eras, but I suspect that's the case.

*Thread here: https://www.facebook.com/dungeonsanddragons/posts/10153760226106071

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  10:57:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's almost like they've had a sudden philosophy transplant back to the days when they initially purchased d&d.
I'm so used to them being the ebil overlords of the rpg world that I'm finding it hard not to be suspicious of this and the motives behind it. I'm sure after a few months though we will see whether they are being sincere or not and then I can join in the celebrations. Then I might just forgive everything they ever did wrong (I'm still not buying into the 1490s though)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  13:35:13  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to know if art and maps from past products can be reused.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  14:08:46  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've thrown in a few questions as well as I can't wait to get rolling :D Including yours, Eilserus.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  17:45:37  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am really curious about this, but I won't be able to participate in the AMA. If they accept it, I could probably come up with an adventure (it just wouldn't have the mechanics), or current lore ideas. Hmmm, maybe I can just contact customer service

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000