Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Holy $417, they did it.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  19:15:09  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

I've thrown in a few questions as well as I can't wait to get rolling :D Including yours, Eilserus.

Thank you. Artwork isn't so much a deal-breaker, but I always judge adventures or products based upon the map(s) that comes with it. I've seen alot of 3rd party products over the years and I'd say 90% of the time what kills a great work for me is a bad map.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  19:45:21  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Despite what some may think, my feeling is that this is very much influenced by TEGG and others who are trending toward a "shared world" atmosphere in creation.

This is a strong move on WotC part that will allow them a revenue stream with no effort...smart move on their part.

I don't think it is directly in response to Ed's new group; but influenced by it yes.

I just wonder how this will play out for Ed who may be torn between his new worlds and the Forgotten Realms.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  20:06:40  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, I'm not sure how that would play out. Running your own business takes a TON of a person's time. We may have to clone Ed! Can copies exist in multiple worlds without going insane? hehe
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  20:48:16  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say this is going to be a win win for them because they are essentially wanting us to sell our ideas to each other and they take a cut. Zero work for them and they get paid. I don't see much in the future of official content by Wotc.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  21:07:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Despite what some may think, my feeling is that this is very much influenced by TEGG and others who are trending toward a "shared world" atmosphere in creation.

This is a strong move on WotC part that will allow them a revenue stream with no effort...smart move on their part.

I don't think it is directly in response to Ed's new group; but influenced by it yes.

I just wonder how this will play out for Ed who may be torn between his new worlds and the Forgotten Realms.

I will respectfully disagree.

Honestly, I think it's more a way of WotC getting more material out there, without having to do anything themselves. It also gives them another way to farm for talent.

Something like this isn't put together at the drop of a hat -- it requires someone to propose it and plan it, the legal team to crawl all over it, accounting folks to run all the relevant numbers, executives to approve it, technical folks to configure it, PR/advertising folks to put the proper spin on it... This is something that's been in the works for 6 months at minimum, likely more than a year.

I would posit that this was proposed shortly after 5E came out, and before work began on the SCAG. Possibly earlier.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  21:08:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The odd thing is that I'm pretty sure Eric proposed this idea to them and they said no. I know Ed proposed this to them multiple times and they said no. I contacted them about the same thing and they said no. I'd imagine loads of people have suggested it before and they always said no.

Suddenly they do it anyway. What's changed?

The only thing I can think of is the arrival of TEGG 3 months ago

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  21:18:56  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Materials you can use to my knowledge are all 5th edition published material, all published Forgotten Realms material, all Dungeon Guild material,you know your own creativity.

But it has to be 5th edition forgotten realms no matter what the era. So you could update say the specialty priests from pantheons and Powers, using the old fluff, but you'd have to update it for the 5e rule set.

You only have the forgotten realms as a setting, no homebrew although setting free generic material is okay.

But the forgotten realms is massive! It includes subsettings like Kara-Tur, Zakahara, Osse, and Mazitica, unexplored contentients, Abier, other worlds like Glyph, demiplanes, outer planes, elemental planes, the feywild and shadowfell (largely unexplored), the far realms, a massive ocean and probably places I haven't thought of in which you could create your own subsettings within FR.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  21:20:51  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Authors who have been dying to write sequels to they're published novels might concider this route, if they're popular enough and they don't f*** with wotc's plans they might make them official.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  21:24:03  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Possible. I'm definitely curious how the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide sold, that would most likely indicate future non-adventure materials.

Just another thought here, but I wonder if Mike Schley will get in on this and go bonkers making maps for the Realms. I'd like to think they'd sell like hot-cakes, but then again I'm biased because I have a love for maps. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  21:26:31  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Authors who have been dying to write sequels to they're published novels might concider this route, if they're popular enough and they don't f*** with wotc's plans they might make them official.

I would really love to see Elaine return to the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  21:36:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

The odd thing is that I'm pretty sure Eric proposed this idea to them and they said no. I know Ed proposed this to them multiple times and they said no. I contacted them about the same thing and they said no. I'd imagine loads of people have suggested it before and they always said no.

Suddenly they do it anyway. What's changed?

The only thing I can think of is the arrival of TEGG 3 months ago

There is no way this was put together in 3 months. Corporations don't move that fast.

It wouldn't be the first time WotC has denied something they were working on or not jumped on someone else's suggestion to do something they were already planning.

Heck, they flat out denied that they were working on 4E just a couple of months before announcing they'd been playtesting it for over a year...

It's one of the things corporations do: they don't say anything until they are ready to.

On top of that, did Eric Boyd or anyone else actually say, "Hey, how about you create and host a site where anyone can put their material for free or sell stuff and split 50% of the proceeds with you" ?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  00:41:03  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Possible. I'm definitely curious how the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide sold, that would most likely indicate future non-adventure materials.

Just another thought here, but I wonder if Mike Schley will get in on this and go bonkers making maps for the Realms. I'd like to think they'd sell like hot-cakes, but then again I'm biased because I have a love for maps. ;)

Judging locally, I'd say many Adv-Leaguers in my local hobby store bought copies of the SCAG, it seemed to sell briskly. Myself? I pre-ordered it months (I got the lowest possible price on Amazon) before it was released.

And I plan to buy a 2nd archival copy for myself. My first copy is the one that will get used and abused and passed around the gaming table.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  01:59:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Eileserus, it's not yet clear whether or not fiction will be included in this project. I'll be watching developments with great interest. :)
Go to Top of Page

arctic79
Acolyte

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  02:59:13  Show Profile Send arctic79 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Materials you can use to my knowledge are all 5th edition published material, all published Forgotten Realms material, all Dungeon Guild material,you know your own creativity.

But it has to be 5th edition forgotten realms no matter what the era. So you could update say the specialty priests from pantheons and Powers, using the old fluff, but you'd have to update it for the 5e rule set.

You only have the forgotten realms as a setting, no homebrew although setting free generic material is okay.

But the forgotten realms is massive! It includes subsettings like Kara-Tur, Zakahara, Osse, and Mazitica, unexplored contentients, Abier, other worlds like Glyph, demiplanes, outer planes, elemental planes, the feywild and shadowfell (largely unexplored), the far realms, a massive ocean and probably places I haven't thought of in which you could create your own subsettings within FR.

That's correct I believe, all FR sources/property are ok as long as you publish through DMguild.
According to mike mearls they have been working on this for the last few years, he had said a while back that they were looking at launching a 5e OGL early last year.
He also tweeted to hold off on fan-fic/novella stuff for the moment, at present they want to focus on game stuff,archtypes sub classes etc.
So far i have only downloaded matt mercers blood hunter and gunslinger.
I hope the James boys knock up something, I liked there 4e work.
Cheers all.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  03:34:27  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So nothing for lore then or?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  08:40:17  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what people would consider a fair price for fan made works.
It would be nice to get paid for the regional rewrites I occasionally do. The FM's guild would be a nice way of reaching a much larger audience and perhaps get some recognition in the industry.
But at the same time I don't want to not make the work available here for free where anyone can read it. Does the exclusivity prevent work from being distributed freely elsewhere (I.e. work can only be sold on the guild) or is it that the work can only be available on the guild full stop (I.e. it cannot be available anywhere else for free or otherwise)

I wonder if I could reskin my moonshae sourcebook and add some new stuff and some real artwork and put it on the guild. Maybe I could put it on for a quid (that seems low enough that everyone can afford it).

Now all I need is a 5e expert to help me write the adventure path. Perhaps the possibility of profit share is enough to tempt people to collaborate.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Hyperion
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  08:58:13  Show Profile Send Hyperion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed your Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Webzine is great and you could easily obtain a hundred products from it :)
I'm planning for some time to write some side-trek adventures based on the Novels and FR sourcebooks, it would be nice to give them some visibility on this new site, if I ever manage to write them :)
Yet I think I would put them as Pay What You Want, as I was going to release them for free anyway.
In any case I doubt you could ever make much money from a fan product, even if this new site gets popular.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  11:16:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well money isn't really the motivation (although it would be nice). Primarily I want to make something useful to other people and then make it available to as many people as possible (currently if people don't visit candlekeep or a few other forums and don't click on the right thread then they wont know they are there).

I'd also like to make my mark on the realms in some kind of official way and the only way to do that is likely to be through the guild (which probably wont allow freebies) and hopefully make something that people like and is popular and then maybe show WoTC that there is another way to do things.

Oh and I'm glad you liked my stuff. Its a shame I cant devote as much time to it as I used to. Netheril is still WIP but I'm working on finishing my own set of rules first and then rebuilding my archive as I keep finding info on Netheril I'm missing.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  13:30:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh looks like I can give stuff away for free. Still not sure about the exclusivity thing though. It might mean I do a basic version here for free then a different tarted up version for the guild

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  13:56:17  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I understand you can't distribute it elsewhere if you put it up on the DM's Guild. Think of it like posting a previously published PDF of Wizards online for all to see. It's a no no as far as I can tell.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  14:12:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But if its called "Alternate Dimensions Issue 10" here and has some different content does it count as being different to something called "Alternate Realms - Netheril" that is on the guild.

If I'm not charging anything for it then it shouldnt matter if it's available elsewhere.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  15:33:38  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I get what you mean, it'd be like fan lore on the Keep here based off past products produced. If I write about the Silver Marches I'm sure I'd reference something from that book. That would certainly be a good question to ask them about.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  16:20:17  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also think it would be cool to make a "mark" on the Realms, but we will have to see. I'm sure a lot of fans feel that way.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  17:47:45  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's really a fantastic way for Wizards to crowd source for potentially great material.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  18:14:22  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is, and it stands to reason that whoever does it should get paid, or at the very, very least, get credit for it. It takes dedication to provide that stuff. I'm no DM, so I don't have any campaigns to provide. I do role play via writing with a friend in which we use Faerun as the setting, with races, gods,and some of the major cities, but that hardly counts. I could however come up with lore ideas that would (hopefully) fit with the current time line. I do have some musings.

Again, though, there are people here who have been playing for decades and have notes upon notes and ideas that they could submit. That's hardwork, and they deserve credit and a sum, at least IMO.

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  22:52:44  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

quote:

Eileserus, it's not yet clear whether or not fiction will be included in this project. I'll be watching developments with great interest. :)

According to their podcast it is in the pipeline!

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  22:54:26  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

So nothing for lore then or?

I haven't read anything that says you couldn't publish Volo's Guide to Unther- Swimwear edition.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  23:00:21  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol so Gilgeam's return means we all have to prostrate ourselves in bikinis...both men and women ;)

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  23:14:42  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

quote:

According to their podcast it is in the pipeline!

That's pretty awesome!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  00:15:26  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Listening to the podcast now. Definitely need more clarification on art and maps. They're cool with us updating old monsters that didn't make it into the 5E MM. Can we extract art from previous Monster Manuals to use with the update? Can we use art from Dungeon and the Dragon mag? How about maps from them? etc. Can I take Khazefryn and completely re-update the place? I'm a little confused as the website states we can reference anything Realms published but then in the podcast he states we can reference core books, Sword Coast Adventurers Guide and Out of the Abyss. Mearls said if WotC owns it, they should be able to work with it, but I get the impression it's a list of products they plan on expanding in the future.

Edited by - Eilserus on 15 Jan 2016 00:16:43
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000