Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Holy $417, they did it.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  09:21:30  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm well into writing a module based on an adventure idea that never materialized, and for now I'm stealing liberally from 2nd Edition sourcebooks, including maps, art, and lore. I'll edit stuff out again once things have been cleared up and I know what exactly I can do and can't do. But if I'm limited to the art, maps, and templates provided by DMSguild, I can just as well fold, that would be far too limiting, kind of in the way the module creation in Sword Coast Legends works. It's there but so severely limited it has little use.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  09:32:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another thought springs to mind. If I were to do a sourcebook I would inevitably want a map. The various maps in the sourcebooks available throughout the editions are a good baseline but inevitably I'd be adding new locations or moving existing locations around.

Would I be allowed to alter works already available as stock art (assuming they became available) or not?

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Rafael
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  11:30:03  Show Profile  Visit Rafael's Homepage Send Rafael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Came here after nearly a decade, to see how you guys would react to this.

While it's an amazing announcement, doesn't it bring with it all sorts of legal troubles?

Innkeeper at the Comeback Inn, the community for Dave Arneson's Blackmoor
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  12:56:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rafael

While it's an amazing announcement, doesn't it bring with it all sorts of legal troubles?

WotC wouldn't be doing something like this without extensive vetting from their legal folks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  13:16:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the sounds of it WoTC are only allowing you to use IP that they own. Therefore if they give you permission to use it for profit (of which they receive half) then there will be no legal problems unless WoTC make them.

From reading around it they retain rights to the original IP and you then own the IP to your derived works. So if you make a story about Drizzt then you own that story but WoTC still own Drizzt. You can only continue to make stories while the DM Guild is in place but once it is withdrawn (if that ever happened) you would in theory retain the rights to your work but could no longer profit from them or produce anything more using WoTC's IP until the agreement was restored. The big proviso here is that you can only publish your works on the DM Guild so in essence you are working free lance for WoTC for a 50% profit agreement. They control the release method and therefore control the product (they can just take down what they don't like).

So in theory it is awesome and for once I'm fully on board with WoTC's efforts in this regard and I hope it works. But I'm worried about the longevity of this agreement (WoTC's history with collaborative agreements isn't great and the freedom of their OGL's is only 50% awesome - 3.5 was awesome 4e was less than awesome).

If there were something written in stone that the agreement couldn't be undone then I'd be super happy. WoTC still control the DM Guild and so they still retain control of their IP I'd just like something permanent (rather than doing a ton of work only to have it removed in a years time and all works ordered destroyed

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  13:23:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course I know nothing about legal stuff its just the impression I get from it

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Rafael
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  18:42:09  Show Profile  Visit Rafael's Homepage Send Rafael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Rafael

WotC wouldn't be doing something like this without extensive vetting from their legal folks.

Well, they better shouldn't! Personally, I think it's a bold move, but I wonder how it really plays out after a couple of years.

Innkeeper at the Comeback Inn, the community for Dave Arneson's Blackmoor

Edited by - Rafael on 15 Jan 2016 18:50:30
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  21:41:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no legal detriment to WotC. They say you still own your work, but they control where it is located and accessed. If you elect to sell it they get 50% of the revenue just for hosting it. None of it is 'official' unless they say so, so they are free to continue to make their own products and ignore what will potentially/eventually become a large volume of fan generated gaming material and possibly fanfic of varying quality. No risk and some reward and they are keeping the fans happy by basically saying you can write about the Realms officially and we won't sue you. What's not to like from WotC's point of view? Genius.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  22:09:22  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They also said this: "We are mostly interested is using the DMs Guild to identify hot new talent. That said, if we REALLY like something and want to use it elsewhere, we'll be in contact with the author(s) to purchase it outright."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  22:18:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

They also said this: "We are mostly interested is using the DMs Guild to identify hot new talent. That said, if we REALLY like something and want to use it elsewhere, we'll be in contact with the author(s) to purchase it outright."

I expected them to do that, though I wasn't sure if they would openly say they were doing that. (Not that I was expecting them to be secretive or deny such a thing; I just wasn't sure they'd say it up front)

It reminds me, in part, of the relationship between the American anime fansub community and American anime companies. The companies watch the fansub community to see which titles prove most popular -- and then they license them thru the Japanese companies. The fansub community, in return, ceases distribution of the fansubs once the licensing is announced. The fansub community is, in essence, a kind of market research group for the anime companies.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Jan 2016 22:18:54
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  22:32:02  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about if you had a lore idea for the current time line, but it is mostly like an outline? "Since X has happened, the result is Y and Z, etc". Does that count, or would they want a story around that lore?

If, of course, they even want lore

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  22:34:29  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It should be something directly usable, so setting info regarding those outlines should be included (something like NPCs, organizations, plot hooks).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  22:38:30  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm this is going to take some thought. The basis of my idea actually comes from a discussion in another thread, in which I had a "what if?" idea.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  07:50:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone know how you get a cover image going? Buggered if I know how to make it work.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  08:10:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exciting stuff. I wonder what impiltur stuff I will be buying first.

Another thought, if anyone figures out how to use it could they let us know how as well or if there is already a user guide a link would be handy.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  12:59:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to convert my alternate realms stuff by region into proper sourcebooks so if anyone fancies getting involved then just pm me. All skills welcome but I won't be doing this for money, it's for recognition and to provide for the realms only so contributors get accreditation and a fuzzy feeling of pride in their accomplishment. I could really do with a 5e expert to help with the rules though, and a map maker, and artist, and people with interest in netheril, the moonshaes, the cold lands, or the old empires (basically everyone that fancies getting involved)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  14:33:29  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing that could cause this to fail is the fact that there are lots of people who will not purchase "unofficial" products for various reasons.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  14:35:15  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm mega interested in the Moonsea and the Narfell region. I would like to contribute to those areas.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  14:40:08  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe I will do a sourcebook on my Shoon project.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  15:05:39  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really hope this might allow Eric Boyd to legally published Under Illefarn Anew. :)

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  15:10:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  16:44:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

One thing that could cause this to fail is the fact that there are lots of people who will not purchase "unofficial" products for various reasons.

For me, it's going to depend in large part upon several factors. In general, I don't pay much attention to unofficial material. I've seen some really good stuff, but I've also seen some utter crap. Most material I've looked at falls closer to the latter than to the former.

It's actually only been in the last several years that I've even embraced 3rd party material. Until 3E and the OGL, I basically ignored every D&D thing that wasn't WotC or TSR.

I've noticed, with non-gaming stuff, that while buying a brand name usually costs more than off-brand stuff, the brand name product is generally better. Levis last longer for me than Rustler, for example, and Smuckers tastes better than Publix brand. My grandmother said repeatedly that you were only buying a brand name, and not a better product -- but when I saw off-brand shoes fall apart quicker than Nike shoes, I began to realize there was a reason people know the brand names and that those brand names had been around for a while.

Having gotten used to this in the non-gaming world, I looked at the gaming market the same way for a long time.

My criteria for buying unofficial stuff:

1) What is the product? I'm more likely to buy something focusing on magic or NPCs, as opposed to say a regional book, if it's not official material.

2) What is the price? I'll spend $5 on a book of unofficial NPCs a lot quicker than I would spent $20 on the same book.

3) Who wrote it? I'll buy anything by Eric Boyd or George Krashos, for example -- those are brand names I trust, if you will. Joe Smith or BadAsp19? If I've not seen good stuff from them in the past, I'm likely not even going to look at what they're offering. On the flipside, though, if everyone starts gushing about how good BadAsp19's stuff is, I'm more likely to at least take a look.

Of course, that's all just me.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  16:44:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

I really hope this might allow Eric Boyd to legally published Under Illefarn Anew. :)

That was one of my first thoughts when I read about this whole thing.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  18:05:58  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I understand right, it would have to be retooled to 5E rules. While I'm not expert in the latest edition, it does seem way easier to grasp than 3E.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2016 :  02:49:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes it would need to be re-tooled for 5E and have all the art stripped out ... I'll be dropping Eric a line to see if he's up for it.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2016 :  06:08:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and a question: If Ed was to produce say ... Volo's Guide to the Moonsea (set in the 1370s DR and following on from the last ones), realistically how many of you would buy it and what would you pay? How many do you think he would sell in total? To be clear, Ed hasn't asked me to do this, but I'm curious ....

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2016 :  06:17:20  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure any time Ed put up anything on the DM's Guild I'd be up for purchasing it, doubly so if it were a Volo's Guide of some sort or another.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2016 :  06:39:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If ed or Eric or you released a sourcebook on the 1370s realms I would happily pay £30 (which I think is 40 dollars) in fact I'm pretty sure I would pay any price they asked.
If it was 1490s that might affect my price but probably not. I've waited a decade for this so when the chance comes I'm buying it
As for numbers I've no idea but I reckon any fan of 1e 2e and 3e would buy it so that's got to be a few thousand. I'd just get wooly to find out how many active members come here then halve that result and that is your worst case scenario.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 17 Jan 2016 06:41:56
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2016 :  06:41:27  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Oh and a question: If Ed was to produce say ... Volo's Guide to the Moonsea (set in the 1370s DR and following on from the last ones), realistically how many of you would buy it and what would you pay? How many do you think he would sell in total? To be clear, Ed hasn't asked me to do this, but I'm curious ....

-- George Krashos

How much would I pay? Arm. Leg. Firstborn.

If the content was comparable to Ed Greenwood presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms, I'd pay the equivalent price.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2016 :  09:15:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also hoping we see all those articles submitted by ed to dragon and WoTC over the years that never saw publication (like the city series and the one on teziir). For even a few pages I would pay a fiver for an article

A sourcebook on impiltur would also be very nice George (hint hint)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page