Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Holy $417, they did it.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 12 Jan 2016 : 18:36:49
WotC just announced that you can now self-publish using 5E Forgotten Realms material on Dungeon Master's Guild.

See the article here.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Caladan Brood Posted - 27 Jan 2016 : 08:07:09
I'm writing and rewriting my module, I want it to be as good as it can gets. In this process, I find myself looking through old sourcebooks for bits of information - it's the loveliest thing about this whole endeavor ^^
Irennan Posted - 26 Jan 2016 : 22:52:49
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hmmm, so underdark and the red wizards of Thay are considered product identity? So, we can't include anything with those without consent from wizards. We might need to be careful here.

You can on the DMGuild. Everything FR, save for art and maps, can be used there.
sleyvas Posted - 26 Jan 2016 : 22:50:03
Hmmm, so underdark and the red wizards of Thay are considered product identity? So, we can't include anything with those without consent from wizards. We might need to be careful here.

coach Posted - 26 Jan 2016 : 20:52:35
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I'm going to convert my alternate realms stuff by region into proper sourcebooks so if anyone fancies getting involved then just pm me. All skills welcome but I won't be doing this for money, it's for recognition and to provide for the realms only so contributors get accreditation and a fuzzy feeling of pride in their accomplishment. I could really do with a 5e expert to help with the rules though, and a map maker, and artist, and people with interest in netheril, the moonshaes, the cold lands, or the old empires (basically everyone that fancies getting involved)

I could help with Cold Lands stuff... i believe you used my Vaasa outline at some point in the past for reference
Irennan Posted - 25 Jan 2016 : 21:05:05
Yes, I remember his thread about Maztica alive, the document on the DMGuild is his.
Gary Dallison Posted - 25 Jan 2016 : 20:55:34
Well that looks to be the one by Seethyr from these halls although he has been absent from here of late.
Irennan Posted - 25 Jan 2016 : 20:18:55
There's also a really well made Maztica sourcebook there, and it's free to boot.
ZeshinX Posted - 25 Jan 2016 : 20:16:57
I found the Adventurer's of Kara-Tur a pretty decent 5e update to the 1e/3e era Oriental Adventures classes, the Yokai race (hengeyokai in 1e parlance), and some weapons/armor (though it definitely leans more towards updating 1e Oriental Adventures than 3e). At $2 I feel I can recommend it. :)
sleyvas Posted - 25 Jan 2016 : 16:53:54
Oh, and not to discourage, but I wasn't impressed with the warmage or demonologist presentation. Also, has anyone seen any 5e prestige classes other than the rune scribe in anything official? Since looking at the work of others often kickstarts the creative process, I wanted to see some more for comparison's sake. I'm playing with some optional feats that then build on other optional feats to duplicate some old prestige classes, but some things are better completed as an actual class progression.
sleyvas Posted - 25 Jan 2016 : 16:27:36
So, just wondering, has anyone seen any rulesets there that just made them go "well worth it and this is what 5e needed". I haven't read thoroughly through it, but the swordmage did catch my eye, though it sticks to lower level spells similar to an eldritch knight. I see several entries that just say X number of feats, but it doesn't tell you much about them.
Cards77 Posted - 25 Jan 2016 : 00:04:33
Kinda sucks that Pathfinder isn't included in the DM guild. I know it's basically 3.75 but my dream is to have all the old boxed sets like Undermountain and Myth Drannor converted and updated to Pathfinder or at least 3.5.

Also I think the biggest winner in all of this will be Dark Sun. A fantastic setting that's been neglected for years.
Eilserus Posted - 24 Jan 2016 : 21:47:25
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Just got a "3 star" review from a punter at the DM's Guild for my Impiltur timeline. Clearly I need to lift my game! I love the subjectivity of our hobby: Can only imagine what the rating would have been if it had cost the individual money ...

-- George Krashos

Heh yeah, apparently 20+ pages for free just doesn't cut it! People are weird. I seen a review a couple days ago where they praised the product and deducted stars because the PDF wasn't "prettied" up enough.
Gary Dallison Posted - 24 Jan 2016 : 20:51:45
Well anyone who has written an essay on anything should be well versed in taking a passage and rewriting it to make it their own. At the very least just take the last described element of the passage and put it at the front.

Yes its dirty and smacks of plagiarism but if it does what you need then go for it. Of course you could add something new to the description to make it your own.
Caladan Brood Posted - 24 Jan 2016 : 20:26:59
Okay I have to ask again to make totally sure (and now that more people have had time to read stuff thoroughly):

Am I right that...

1) I can *not* use existing art from any Forgotten Realms product, for example the sigil of the Purple Dragons of Cormyr?
2) The only art I *can* use is either art I've made myself, paid someone to make, or the (for me completely useless) art provided by DMSguild.com?
3) I can *not* reproduce any setting information verbatim from any Forgotten Realms sourcebook, but I can use the information in Realms sourcebooks to write my own version of it? [I find this weird; how am I to describe, say, The Yawning Portal without it becoming very similar to what's already written about that location?)

Thanks
Gary Dallison Posted - 24 Jan 2016 : 08:22:32
Well some people are just ungrateful. They were probably expecting some 5e rules and snazzy artwork as well. Now I'm off to check out this timeline and see if it has any new additions
George Krashos Posted - 24 Jan 2016 : 06:04:56
Just got a "3 star" review from a punter at the DM's Guild for my Impiltur timeline. Clearly I need to lift my game! I love the subjectivity of our hobby: Can only imagine what the rating would have been if it had cost the individual money ...

-- George Krashos
Eilserus Posted - 22 Jan 2016 : 14:09:58
It's definitely worth picking up. Highest price one on Amazon is 6.99 and that includes shipping costs.
George Krashos Posted - 22 Jan 2016 : 13:52:53
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast
Is that issue worth getting (for a fair price) for the Cities article? It got my interest. Does the 13-page article cover more than a few cities in the FR?

It covers just Crimmor but at a level of detail that no FR city other than Waterdeep has enjoyed.

-- George Krashos
moonbeast Posted - 22 Jan 2016 : 09:28:25
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

quote:

I'm also hoping we see all those articles submitted by ed to dragon and WoTC over the years that never saw publication (like the city series and the one on teziir). For even a few pages I would pay a fiver for an article

A sourcebook on impiltur would also be very nice George (hint hint)

Whoa, that never occurred to me. Continuing the city series from Dragon would be killer. Cities of the Realms covered like the 13 pager from Dragon #334 would be awesome. I'd pay 5 bucks a pop for those too!

Is that issue worth getting (for a fair price) for the Cities article? It got my interest. Does the 13-page article cover more than a few cities in the FR?
CorellonsDevout Posted - 21 Jan 2016 : 22:51:52
quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

I have a few questions

Can lore take the shape of (maybe not so) short stories? Because if that's the case, than collections of short stories, novellas and novels could be sold as lore books.

I would like to know this, as well.
Aureus Posted - 21 Jan 2016 : 22:39:23
I have a few questions

Can lore take the shape of (maybe not so) short stories? Because if that's the case, than collections of short stories, novellas and novels could be sold as lore books.

Also, are there any language limitations? For which countries is this specific license? (UK and Canada are still not part of the USA)
Eilserus Posted - 17 Jan 2016 : 20:48:09
quote:

I'm also hoping we see all those articles submitted by ed to dragon and WoTC over the years that never saw publication (like the city series and the one on teziir). For even a few pages I would pay a fiver for an article

A sourcebook on impiltur would also be very nice George (hint hint)

Whoa, that never occurred to me. Continuing the city series from Dragon would be killer. Cities of the Realms covered like the 13 pager from Dragon #334 would be awesome. I'd pay 5 bucks a pop for those too!
Eilserus Posted - 17 Jan 2016 : 20:29:52
I would also add, if I were selling something on the site, I'd try to take the Amazon approach. For instance, write a 200 page book, list it for $39.99 and perma mark it down to $14.95 or $19.99. Amazon has us conditioned to not want to pay full price, I know I certainly don't when we're talking novels or books anymore so I order from them instead of buying at B&N locally. Monte Cook's Numenera setting is a good example, marked at $60, sells on there on sale for $19.99 and has over 100 reviews so you know it's moving units.

I hate to sound like a weasel writing this, but the psychology behind selling things has always interested me. Well, that and I used to work for Amazon. ;)
Eilserus Posted - 17 Jan 2016 : 20:18:32
quote:

Oh and a question: If Ed was to produce say ... Volo's Guide to the Moonsea (set in the 1370s DR and following on from the last ones), realistically how many of you would buy it and what would you pay? How many do you think he would sell in total? To be clear, Ed hasn't asked me to do this, but I'm curious ....

-- George Krashos

I'd buy anything Ed, you, Boyd, Schend, Brian would make/sell. And I know I'm missing a few other good designers in the mix here.

I'd base pricing off the sales information that the company who runs the DM's Guild website provides. Here's a quote: "Keep your PDF prices under $20. For a deluxe core book, you might be able to get away with $24.95, $29.95, or even $34.95, but as a rule, $19.99 is the ceiling."

And here's another quote: "According to two years of sales data, in terms of expected return per title, the most successful price points are $1.00, $2.00, $2.95, $3.95, $4.99, $7.95, $10.00, $14.95, and $19.99."

source: http://oneblogshelf.blogspot.ca/2014/05/pricing-part-2.html

Now how to factor that in so word count and price makes it worth a guys time, I don't know. I'd initially be inclined to think $14.95 to $19.99 for a pure PDF product to maximize sales based on their provided sales info.

Guess time and just making numbers up here: If a new Volo's Guide is 60,000 words and aim for $.10 a word (no idea what a good rate is), we need $6,000 in sales, at $20 = 300 units. Author gets 50%, so we need 600 units sold for the $.10 a word to equal our goal of $6,000. More is better of course.

I think the killer would be artwork skyrocketing the requirement of units sold.

I have to believe a Volo's Guide would sell at least 600 units of a book. drivethrurpg.com itself gets from what I can tell anywhere from 60k to 90k people a month in traffic, I'd be honestly shocked if big name authors made less than 600 sales a year when we're looking at over a million people in traffic a year.
chibi_grazzt Posted - 17 Jan 2016 : 16:49:08
A new era of creativity dawns!! I do wonder if Ed will submit some of his newest materials?
sleyvas Posted - 17 Jan 2016 : 16:47:35
Hmmm, see everyone's thinking about Lore they'd love to post... and truly, I'm there with you.... but I'm thinking rules that people might want to employ to make 5e work more like previous editions. Hell some of the ideas I've posted here but that I could rework to refine them ..... because everything can be refined... and best thing, I'm not looking to make money, just share ideas. A book of magic... hmmm...
idilippy Posted - 17 Jan 2016 : 16:15:06
I'd buy it in pdf for 5.99-14.99 depending on exact size, production value, etc. That's about my limit for regional sourcebooks. I'd be happy with the 9.99 price that the Volo's Guide pdfs go for on dndclassics if the book was the same size and lore value.
perlmugp Posted - 17 Jan 2016 : 16:06:43
On the DMs Guild info page it says you are allowed to make our commission your own maps or art. If anyone wants to use my maps for adventures our source books that is fine by me, just send me a message to let me know you're going to. I may even have time to make our customize areas if you ask nicely.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Jan 2016 : 15:27:26
quote:

Oh and a question: If Ed was to produce say ... Volo's Guide to the Moonsea (set in the 1370s DR and following on from the last ones), realistically how many of you would buy it and what would you pay? How many do you think he would sell in total? To be clear, Ed hasn't asked me to do this, but I'm curious ....

-- George Krashos

Anything from Ed is an instant, guaranteed purchase.
Caladan Brood Posted - 17 Jan 2016 : 13:20:55
Thank you for enlightening me. I'll probably go ahead and finish writing my adventure, then recreate maps etc (I am competent enough with Campaign Cartographer 3 which incidentally has add-ons to create maps that look like the official maps for 5th Edition, by Mike Schley ^^ )

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000