Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 I honestly think it's crazy having to wait so long
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  04:06:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You ought to re-read the article then. You'll find the number is more than eight.

I meant the people who are currently working on producing lore/rules, i.e the game itself. With that, I absolutely don't mean to devalue the work of the other listed people, though.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 04 Feb 2015 04:07:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  05:24:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That list also specifies who is on "the D&D team" -- that could be just the people focusing on core stuff. There could easily be other teams that didn't get mentioned -- ones for specific settings, ones for specific initiatives that haven't been announced yet (like a new minis game, or a new computer game, both hypothetically speaking), and so on.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  06:15:47  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I meant the people who are currently working on producing lore/rules, i.e the game itself. With that, I absolutely don't mean to devalue the work of the other listed people, though.

I see what you mean, and I don't think you're devaluing anyone.

I'd argue that people who are project managers, people who test RPG rules in house, those that decide on the course a setting will take and what stories will/won't be told in it, and those who either collect customer feedback or analyze that data, all do a lot to both shape the current rules set and determine the fate of campaign settings like the Realms.

That, and people sometimes where multiple hats.

quote:
Originally posted by Baptor

The remainder is about 15 or so folks, which is close to my original number back on page one. Either way that is a much smaller team that we've seen on past projects.
Not necessarily.

For the sake of perspective, consider a project like the 3E FRCS: weighing in at three hundred and twenty pages, plus an additional one hundred pages that were cut, the 3E FRCS was written and edited by six people in house, and one freelancer: Ed Greenwood.

Of that gang of six, all of them worked on the 3E Core Rulebooks first, then switched over to the Realms once the Core books were out the door.

They also, as I understand it, helped with other projects as the FRCS was being worked on, and helped plan other projects down the line.

From this I gather it's not necessarily the number of people you have in house that's important, but how many projects are being worked on simultaneously.

So for me the concern is the number of product announcements. That number is small, so I'm left to wonder if a big announcement is due, or if the design team is being pulled in on other projects peripheral to the tabletop game.

Shadowsoul is right to be concerned that the in house staff numbers are dwindling--we all should--but when I get down to brass tacks and really look at things, I don't see the sky falling.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 04 Feb 2015 06:45:46
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  12:15:08  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The small staff is of note but as others have said previously, freelancers can share some of that weight.

The silence is what really troubles me.

Silemce + no product + small staff = hobbitfan worried.
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  17:46:38  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbitfan

The small staff is of note but as others have said previously, freelancers can share some of that weight.

The silence is what really troubles me.

Silemce + no product + small staff = hobbitfan worried.

Agreed, the initial brush off response, followed by the vague response, followed by total silence is the most concerning part. The rest is just circumstantial evidence that reinforces the deafening silence.

Jesus said, "I am the Ressurection and the Life. Anyone who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and those who live and believe in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  17:55:16  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I see what you mean, and I don't think you're devaluing anyone.

I'd argue that people who are project managers, people who test RPG rules in house, those that decide on the course a setting will take and what stories will/won't be told in it, and those who either collect customer feedback or analyze that data, all do a lot to both shape the current rules set and determine the fate of campaign settings like the Realms.

That, and people sometimes where multiple hats.

Yes, if we look at the situation from this angle, it may not be so bad after all.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  22:37:56  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sent an email to Customer Service asking them if they had a FR sourcebook in the works or if they even intended to make one at all. Here was my response:

quote:
Thank you for contacting Wizards of the Coast Game Support!

We absolutely understand your concern, and we wish we had better information for you. Unfortunately, at this time there have been no announcements more recent than ones you are already familiar with. That being said, our best advice is to keep an eye on the D&D site, because if an announcement is made, it will appear there first. The main page can be found at:

http://dnd.wizards.com/

Make of it what you will. I can't make anything out of it.

Jesus said, "I am the Ressurection and the Life. Anyone who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and those who live and believe in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  23:08:29  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At Amazon we called them blurbs. Canned emails you tailor to the message. Pretty standard stuff.

Not like they could tell us future plans anyways. Bad practice to get into. I'd still love to know what's going on too though.
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  01:11:17  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

Do they honestly think will be waiting for years to see if one comes?

I won't be.

What do you want from a 5e FRCG?

Many Forgotten Realms fans disliked the Spellplague and the 100 year time jump, so potentially many of them won't buy a DM campaign setting book that describes the world because it will either be too far in the future or conflict with the canon of their own campaign guide.

If I run a FR campaign again (and I'd like to) it would be completely useless to me as I would want to set it pre-ToT. And I'm a 4e baby.

I could see the market for a gazetteer on post Spellplague Faerun that helps clean up of the 4e era (in an additive manner) and provide a brief overview of the Realms, and then points people to existing works for more lore information.

In 4th ed the campaign settings didn't get a lot of support. It was 2 books + 1 adventure and that was it. Forgotten Realms was the exception in that it got a second campaign setting book. 5e doesn't have the heavy release schedule of 4e or 3.5e so I wouldn't be expecting WotC to rush a campaign setting out the door.

Honest question: Who here DMs 4e era Forgotten Realms? How many would be willing to jump their campaign forward to the 5e era of the Forgotten Realms instead of simply remaining in the current era you're in?

I'd be expecting the Realms to be covered in a Worlds of Dungeons & Dragons product, or even in Web Articles. At this point in time, I don't know if we'll get a post-4e dedicated product, as WotC has expressed interest in supporting all eras of the Forgotten Realms and a single book to me seems the worst way to try to do so.

quote:

Anyone see the news for the Unearthed Arcana articles on the WotC website? They're focusing on Eberron this time around. I wonder if they will cover the Realms at all?

Aasimar are in the DMG, Drow are in the PHB, genasi are coming out next month and the bladesinger is (IMO) represented by the College of Valor Bard in the PHB. Is there any critical Realms-crunch that is missing and stopping people from playing in FR? The only thing I can think of is spellplague marks which is 4e-era specific.

quote:

This gives me the impression their idea is to release conversion notes on various settings but point people back to their PDF store if they want any detailed lore.

Why do I think this?

Staff. They. have. no. staff.
Chris Perkins is working on a non-FR book for 2016 (which is where I think it could be a Worlds of D&D book or an Arcana Unearthed to cover all the crunch for the numerous campaign worlds).

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I wonder if FR will get an UA soon, with say Shadar-Kai, Aasimar, and Eldarin in it?

Aasimar and Eladrin are in the DMG. I don't know that I'd consider Shadar-kai specific to any campaign setting.

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.

Edited by - JohnLynch on 05 Feb 2015 01:12:53
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  03:57:47  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnLynch

quote:

Do they honestly think will be waiting for years to see if one comes?

I won't be.

What do you want from a 5e FRCG?

Many Forgotten Realms fans disliked the Spellplague and the 100 year time jump, so potentially many of them won't buy a DM campaign setting book that describes the world because it will either be too far in the future or conflict with the canon of their own campaign guide.

If I run a FR campaign again (and I'd like to) it would be completely useless to me as I would want to set it pre-ToT. And I'm a 4e baby.

I could see the market for a gazetteer on post Spellplague Faerun that helps clean up of the 4e era (in an additive manner) and provide a brief overview of the Realms, and then points people to existing works for more lore information.

In 4th ed the campaign settings didn't get a lot of support. It was 2 books + 1 adventure and that was it. Forgotten Realms was the exception in that it got a second campaign setting book. 5e doesn't have the heavy release schedule of 4e or 3.5e so I wouldn't be expecting WotC to rush a campaign setting out the door.

Honest question: Who here DMs 4e era Forgotten Realms? How many would be willing to jump their campaign forward to the 5e era of the Forgotten Realms instead of simply remaining in the current era you're in?

I'd be expecting the Realms to be covered in a Worlds of Dungeons & Dragons product, or even in Web Articles. At this point in time, I don't know if we'll get a post-4e dedicated product, as WotC has expressed interest in supporting all eras of the Forgotten Realms and a single book to me seems the worst way to try to do so.

I think there's a good chance you are correct, and that's why I've been making noise.

See, I am running a Realms game in the 4e Spellplague Realms (we are using 5e rules). I do this because I've tried to follow the official Realms for better or worse over the years. I've done this for the same reason Ed's always encouraged us to do so, even if we didn't like it. Because if we don't support the Realms products there won't be any more of them. The line will die.

I could snap my fingers and go back to the 3e Realms. It's that simple. My players would go with it. I'd have what I am comfortable with. But I'd rather go forward to the 5e Realms. I wasn't happy with 4e but when I heard about the Sundering I was hopeful. WotC made promises. I believed them. Ed believed them.

Now, like you say, they are doing and saying things that make me think they've already essentially abandoned doing new Realms stuff. If that's true, I don't want to run some half-baked 4e/5e Realms. I'd rather just roll the clock back to when it all made sense.

From what you've said, you've already done this by rolling it back to before the TOT. Fine, that is good for you and I'm happy you are happy.

Some of us still care about running in the published Realms, the up-to-date Realms. But that care is running out.

Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  04:28:34  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

See, I am running a Realms game in the 4e Spellplague Realms (we are using 5e rules). I do this because I've tried to follow the official Realms for better or worse over the years. I've done this for the same reason Ed's always encouraged us to do so, even if we didn't like it. Because if we don't support the Realms products there won't be any more of them. The line will die.
Good on you. I'm glad to see some people play (and I presume get some enjoyment) from the 4e Realms :)

quote:

Some of us still care about running in the published Realms, the up-to-date Realms.
Unfortunately for WotC it becomes a case of how many people care about running in the 5e Realms. I do expect there'll be some support in some fashion, but I'm not confident it would be in the shape of an entire FRCG (as essentially fans of all other campaigns that want official support in the same shape and that definitely seems unlikely to be profitable. We haven't seen Mystara or Greyhawk in proper published form in years, discounting one or two books for living Greyhawk. I can only assume there's a reason for that).

quote:

Now, like you say, they are doing and saying things that make me think they've already essentially abandoned doing new Realms stuff. If that's true, I don't want to run some half-baked 4e/5e Realms. I'd rather just roll the clock back to when it all made sense.
We know Ed was doing Realms work a month ago. So there is hope. But whether that work was on a WotC-only Forgotten Realms bible, a novel, work for an adventure or web articles is unknown and we likely won't know until something comes out with Ed's name on it.

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  13:03:04  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we're going to see something on Feb. 12 that will be interesting. Rumour is it's a new Realms-set RPG video game.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/02/04/veteran-work-for-hire-studio-n-space-teams-up-with-warframe-studio-to-make-something-of-its-own/

A buddy of mine works at Digital Extremes. He says I'm going to absolutely LOVE this (he knows of my massive love for the Baldur's Gate games). I have no idea if it's actually a Realms-set game (and I didn't ask), all I got from him was "Trust me, you are going to crap your pantaloons."

So, perhaps we'll see some Realmslore in the game, for those interested in such things.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  05:25:45  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This looks encouraging?

http://theedverse.com/

Maybe the big thing that's coming is a new Realms book?

Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  05:57:51  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnLynch
Aasimar are in the DMG, Drow are in the PHB, genasi are coming out next month and the bladesinger is (IMO) represented by the College of Valor Bard in the PHB. Is there any critical Realms-crunch that is missing and stopping people from playing in FR? The only thing I can think of is spellplague marks which is 4e-era specific.

I read somewhere of a gaming group who used 3.5 eberrons dragon-marks to emulate spellplague-marks in a post-spellplague based realms game.

So if people want to do that with 5e, wotc just released a Eberron thing for 5e with dragon-mark rules. Bam.
Go to Top of Page

Arian Dynas
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  07:15:38  Show Profile Send Arian Dynas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I think it would be a far better use of time to discuss who will write the Campaign Guide and to discuss what form It will take, then to gripe and worry ad nauseum over when the book will be announced, and to use that as an excuse to inject more bitterness at WotC into the forum space.

I'm warming up to the idea of a third party writing the campaign guide, provided Ed Greenwood does much of the heavy lifting.

I am very much in agreement with Jeremy, here.

Thirded. And if it's penned by Volo with Elminster's annotations, then what could be better?

As for the Naysayers thinking 13 people isn't enough to write a book? Look to Exalted; that's got a small team of writers and less than 200 playtesters, and they had to juggle fixing a royally borked setting AND royally borked rules. It took them three years, but it can be done, and WotC has more money than Onyx Path Publishing does.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  10:45:33  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arian Dynas

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I think it would be a far better use of time to discuss who will write the Campaign Guide and to discuss what form It will take, then to gripe and worry ad nauseum over when the book will be announced, and to use that as an excuse to inject more bitterness at WotC into the forum space.

I'm warming up to the idea of a third party writing the campaign guide, provided Ed Greenwood does much of the heavy lifting.

I am very much in agreement with Jeremy, here.

Thirded. And if it's penned by Volo with Elminster's annotations, then what could be better?

As for the Naysayers thinking 13 people isn't enough to write a book? Look to Exalted; that's got a small team of writers and less than 200 playtesters, and they had to juggle fixing a royally borked setting AND royally borked rules. It took them three years, but it can be done, and WotC has more money than Onyx Path Publishing does.

You aren't comparing like for like here. First off, they are down to 8 people who work on D&D directly.

Second, D&D is a whole nother beast here. Small companies who's primary purpose is an RPG has more wiggle room than a company like Hasbro.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  13:04:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You aren't comparing like for like here. First off, they are down to 8 people who work on D&D directly.

That was 8 people on the "D&D Team," which does not preclude other, possibly larger teams, working on something that isn't just core rules.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  13:57:35  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am not waiting two years to get a Forgotten Realms campaign setting book and I think it's a bit cheeky of Wizards to let it go on so long. I haven't seen or heard anything in their release schedule that even hints at a FRCG. Do they honestly think will be waiting for years to see if one comes?

The issue isn't waiting, just as with GRR Martin, the book will come out when it comes out and the patience of potential purchasers will be a minor consideration at most.

The main issue for me is what will it contain, and will I like it.
They can take as long as they like if they do a good job.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  14:28:05  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:

I am not waiting two years to get a Forgotten Realms campaign setting book and I think it's a bit cheeky of Wizards to let it go on so long. I haven't seen or heard anything in their release schedule that even hints at a FRCG. Do they honestly think will be waiting for years to see if one comes?

The issue isn't waiting, just as with GRR Martin, the book will come out when it comes out and the patience of potential purchasers will be a minor consideration at most.

The main issue for me is what will it contain, and will I like it.
They can take as long as they like if they do a good job.

Pretty much this. Though I do think the longer they wait, the higher the bar will be set. Myself, I'll find something useful in it. Even though I didn't run 4E, I still used NPCs from the Campaign Setting. Oh, and I'm about to use the map of Loudwater.
Point is, I do think the glory days of boxed sets and Volo's Guides are behind us. My own expectations are simple. A map of how things look now, post Sundering, a sidebar of what happened with the gods during the Sundering, and otherwise devote the book to what the Realms looks like to the common man today and who's who in politics. I'm not even asking for a 3E FRCS level of detail. Just an update book with enough details sometime new to the Realms will find it useful.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  20:40:33  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

I think we're going to see something on Feb. 12 that will be interesting. Rumour is it's a new Realms-set RPG video game.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/02/04/veteran-work-for-hire-studio-n-space-teams-up-with-warframe-studio-to-make-something-of-its-own/

A buddy of mine works at Digital Extremes. He says I'm going to absolutely LOVE this (he knows of my massive love for the Baldur's Gate games). I have no idea if it's actually a Realms-set game (and I didn't ask), all I got from him was "Trust me, you are going to crap your pantaloons."

So, perhaps we'll see some Realmslore in the game, for those interested in such things.

I'd love a new FR game, but I doubt we'll ever get another isometric RPG like the BG or IWD games. I loved the PS2 Baldur's Gate games too, but they certainly weren't the same thing, and I already play an MMO so the recent Neverwinter game holds no interest to me.

But hopefully I'm wrong.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

Edited by - Tanthalas on 06 Feb 2015 20:47:52
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  23:06:43  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to play a table top RPG, not a video game to be honest.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  23:21:46  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do too, but I have learned over time not to discount other Realms-related media, because we've seen time and again people coming to these halls who introduce themselves by saying, "I was first introduced to the Realms through the Baldur's Gate games."

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  23:32:11  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I do too, but I have learned over time not to discount other Realms-related media, because we've seen time and again people coming to these halls who introduce themselves by saying, "I was first introduced to the Realms through the Baldur's Gate games."

That would be me! My love of fantasy adventure started with The Legend of Zelda for NES and the movie Willow. When I got to high school my friend showed me this game called "Diablo" which I loved and played the heck out of. Then later he told me, "You've got to buy this game called Baldur's Gate, it's like Diablo but way more complicated. It's really awesome but super hard."

Then I was awash in Realmslore as I played, and I had to learn more. I found out the game was based on something called "Dungeons and Dragons," a tabletop game. I went to my local bookstore and found out they had tons of books on this "Forgotten Realms." I bought the 2e Box Set soon after not even had played the tabletop game yet or knowing anyone that did, though that would soon change.

You can see that I have a love for the Realms that started early and has endured the test of time. That's why I'm here wringing my hands over a 5e book. I care about this world, I have for a long time.

And the rest is history. So yes, we need those games out there.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  23:52:32  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

I'd love a new FR game, but I doubt we'll ever get another isometric RPG like the BG or IWD games. I loved the PS2 Baldur's Gate games too, but they certainly weren't the same thing, and I already play an MMO so the recent Neverwinter game holds no interest to me.

But hopefully I'm wrong.

There is going to be a Baldur's Gate 1.5, from the guys that did the enhanced edition. Details here. Now, before anyone starts saying, "they can't do as good as the original, Trent and a lot of the guys who worked on the EE worked on the original game, so I'd say that it has a fair chance.

But yes, software is what got me into the Realms. Other than Realms-based games, the only computer games I ever played were Minesweeper, Digdug, and Solitare, to name a few. I really never got into video games, I liked books and reading. Most of my childhood was spent soaking up C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, Stephen R. Lawhead, and other authors.
Baldur's Gate brought me to the Realms. A friend handed me that game, told me I should try it, and I loved it. It's what made me want to buy my 3E FRCS, and down the rabbit hole I went.
I anxiously await whatever they do with 5E source book wise. I won't like, but can understand them not doing a campaign guide. But I hope they do. I would love to be able to talk to some kid at the game store and say, "you loved Neverwinter/ Baldur's Gate EE? Want to know more? Here, this book will get you started."

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 06 Feb 2015 23:53:35
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  01:37:12  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was aware of "adventure Y". Maybe when they release it they'll add a way to build BGEE and BG2EE into a single big game like the BGT mod does for the original games.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

Edited by - Tanthalas on 07 Feb 2015 01:43:23
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  02:31:01  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Yeah, I was aware of "adventure Y". Maybe when they release it they'll add a way to build BGEE and BG2EE into a single big game like the BGT mod does for the original games.

It would be nice. On the other hand, at least for the Android edition, that'd be one huge app. But still, it'd be a great gateway drug to the Realms.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Arian Dynas
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  02:36:09  Show Profile Send Arian Dynas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh, a bunch of Baldur's Gate Alumni? Aren't they all with Obsidian still?
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  19:10:55  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tweeted Bob Salvatore. If you were following news of the Sundering in 2012-2013, you'll recall he was instrumental in fleshing out the Sundering and "fixing Ed's Realms." To use his words. Bob said that he would be personally working on the new setting update this time around.

So I tweeted him and asked him if he knew whether WotC ever planned to actually make a Realms book now. His response?

"No idea."

This is far more telling than it looks. It would be different if Bob was just writing his Drizzt novels as normal for the Realms. Obviously he probably would not be in the loop on something like a new Realms Sourcebook. But in 2013 he publicly stated, more than once, that WotC would giving him one of the driver seats in fixing the Realms and mapping the 5e Realms out. He would be directly involved in something like a 5e FRCS.

And now he has "no idea" what's going on over there? Sure sounds like someone over at WotC changed their minds. :(

Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  19:22:47  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I tweeted Bob Salvatore. If you were following news of the Sundering in 2012-2013, you'll recall he was instrumental in fleshing out the Sundering and "fixing Ed's Realms." To use his words. Bob said that he would be personally working on the new setting update this time around.

So I tweeted him and asked him if he knew whether WotC ever planned to actually make a Realms book now. His response?

"No idea."

This is far more telling than it looks. It would be different if Bob was just writing his Drizzt novels as normal for the Realms. Obviously he probably would not be in the loop on something like a new Realms Sourcebook. But in 2013 he publicly stated, more than once, that WotC would giving him one of the driver seats in fixing the Realms and mapping the 5e Realms out. He would be directly involved in something like a 5e FRCS.

And now he has "no idea" what's going on over there? Sure sounds like someone over at WotC changed their minds. :(

He has a design credit in the Legacy of the Crystal Shard Campaign Guide. Maybe that is what he was reffering to?
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  19:43:17  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lordsknight185

quote:

"No idea."

He has a design credit in the Legacy of the Crystal Shard Campaign Guide. Maybe that is what he was reffering to?

Watch this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLf1hBUr9M4

You can fast forward to the 11:30 mark where Bob talks about the Spellplague and how he and Ed personally cooked up the Sundering to fix it. He then talks about, how after the 4e Realms bombed, James Wyatt came to Bob asking for his help fixing the Realms. Bob said that he personally directed Wyatt and the team through his Sundering plan. Bob basically said, "If you don't like the new Realms, you can blame me. I am taking full responsibility for the new Realms, and I'm quite proud of it."

I'd say that's a lot more than just Icewind Dale. :)

Personally, I am all for a Realms fix that was designed by Bob Salvatore and Ed Greenwood. The question now is, will we ever see it?

Even Bob has "no idea." :(

Edited by - Baptor on 07 Feb 2015 19:43:58
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000