Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Krampus in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  03:12:53  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Found this, a little out dated but...

Which person, deity, etc would the Krampus serve? And would your character fight him? Why and how would they fight him?

http://www.somethingpositive.net/krampus-d20.jpg

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  06:01:37  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Morbid curiosity makes me wonder what the author was smoking.

Well it says he serves Santa, and I can't see putting him in the Realms outside of a wacky Christmas "special" but I guess that's just me. Deity? Beshaba maybe, or Graz'zt, but that goes to the *other* definition of naughty.

Speaking of which, any character played by me would definitely attack him... waking me up in the middle of the night trying to scare me is a mistake no furry blue demonkin should be allowed to make twice. The tongue alone is reason enough to kill it. The barrel is another reason... that'd be useful in my hands, but nobody else should be allowed to have it.

As far as method... if bardic knowledge or a legend lore is available to learn something about this whackjob, I would pronounce the Krampus naughty -- breaking & entering, assault, attempted kidnapping, extortion, the list goes on, and they're not just crimes of law; they're crimes against my person, and since I was minding my own business in the moments before being attacked, and am now acting to protect my own person, he is naughty and I am nice. Obviously the Krampus has its own warped definition of morality, but my intent would be to assert my own morality to the universe/DM. Ideally, this throws some fog on the Krampus' sense of who "deserves" his attacks and gives me a bit of a psychological edge.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  07:11:53  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those Germans are crazy...

Also, you might want to search that site for the stats of the Redneck Tree if you want a giggle.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  14:06:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't Paizo have Krampus written-up for 3.5/PF? I know their fans have been begging for him forever.

As for him in FR, I think the best fit might be an Exarch (Saint/demigod) of Ilmater, who is all about 'good through punishment'. Maybe make him a half-crazed, ascended mortal follower of Ilmater who went a little off the deep-end when he became divine.

As for Santa, he's in my Realms, but not in the 'usual' way (I've twisted all the Christmas lore around). Someday I'll have to post that adventure/story.

As for a more traditional take on him, perhaps something along the lines of Narnia, or Warcraft - make him more 'fanasy-ish' and call him 'grandfather winter', and connect him to nature and cold (possibly a half-forgotten son of Auril who went his own way).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Nov 2014 14:07:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  14:18:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess it would be relevant to mention my recently resurrected thread, with official D&D stats for Santa...

Ghosts of Christmas Past: Santa in 3.x

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  17:27:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just saw a great pic of 'D&D Santa' on FB -

Bad-A** Santa

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  02:33:41  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would so create a character modeled after Brock Samson to fight the Krampus.

Wait, there was a question, wasn't there? *re-reads topic* Oh! The god of Tyranny, Bane. The Krampus rides to assail (penalize) the naughty children (people) who did not obey their parents (authority figure) and metes out punishment according to the wickedness of the child (misdemeanor to capital offense). The actions is sudden, terrifying (and meant to be so), and without recourse. The stories are told and retold to solidify compliance out of fear with an occasional example to keep the doubters in line. That all says "tyranny" to me.

Riding with Santa might be circumstantial reverse reasoning to explain why they both strike on the same day. They might actually have nothing to do with each other. Alternatively, they might work together because the end result each is trying to achieve is the same and each is simply trying to prove they are better than the other, all things being equal, between the carrot and the stick.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000