Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Has any mortal warrior defeated an ArchFiend solo?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  17:48:08  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has this ever happened in the history of the realms? It seems like even the best mortal warriors of the realms would be hard pressed to defeat a Balor like Erttu solo, but a Demon Prince, even a minor one would seem to be an exponentially greater challenge.

Edited by - jordanz on 30 Nov 2014 05:14:19

Alamadaeo
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  18:12:59  Show Profile Send Alamadaeo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as far as game mechanics go, I would assume that the greater challenge is the point!
I throw class levels on my Balors and Pit Fiends sometimes to represent their superior nature, but to answer your question;

SPOILER ALERT:

The Simbul, in Elminster in Hell, defeated an Archdevil to rescue Elminster. As far as I know The Simbul, though mighty, is still mortal in that she can be defeated/killed - even though she is the chosen of a goddess.

Though The Simbul is an Archmage of dreadful power and not a sword-swinger. I don't know if that helps you out any now that I think about it haha, but I hope I did a little!

Alamadaeo: http://40.media.tumblr.com/4828796b38923a6472e20a2c2e3ab705/tumblr_mfjzc0KBB61qfnq1do3_400.jpg

Edited by - Alamadaeo on 29 Nov 2014 18:18:42
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  18:51:21  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fflar Starbrow Melruth managed to slay a 'a dozen' nycoloths, but was stopped by the demonic warlord Aulmpiter who was banished in turn.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  21:24:06  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Trio Nefarious were greater nycaloths and, though powerful, were not on par with an archfiend. Gareth Dragonsbane did take on Orcus and an avatar of Tiamat back when she was still an archfiend - though he had his party to back him up.

Did Kiaransalee also beat Orcus when she was still mortal or had she already become a demigod?

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 29 Nov 2014 21:30:10
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  05:18:04  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alamadaeo

Well, as far as game mechanics go, I would assume that the greater challenge is the point!
I throw class levels on my Balors and Pit Fiends sometimes to represent their superior nature, but to answer your question;

SPOILER ALERT:

The Simbul, in Elminster in Hell, defeated an Archdevil to rescue Elminster. As far as I know The Simbul, though mighty, is still mortal in that she can be defeated/killed - even though she is the chosen of a goddess.

Though The Simbul is an Archmage of dreadful power and not a sword-swinger. I don't know if that helps you out any now that I think about it haha, but I hope I did a little!

Yep thanks, I remember that but I'm looking for sword swingers. I'm thinking it would take an Epic level fighter with some minor artifact level weapons/Armor (and some luck!) to do the trick.
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  05:20:44  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Fflar Starbrow Melruth managed to slay a 'a dozen' nycoloths, but was stopped by the demonic warlord Aulmpiter who was banished in turn.

Yep this is the closest I can fathom that doesn't quite reach the parameters.

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  21:04:33  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

The Trio Nefarious were greater nycaloths and, though powerful, were not on par with an archfiend. Gareth Dragonsbane did take on Orcus and an avatar of Tiamat back when she was still an archfiend - though he had his party to back him up.

Did Kiaransalee also beat Orcus when she was still mortal or had she already become a demigod?

We could see the difference when Fflar Starbrow took on Malkizid (a true banished archfiend). He ambushed Malkizid and still got starched, as did the epic wizard Araevin and the epic priest of Corellon (forgot his name).

I believe that Kiaransalee was a god when she defeated Orcus. Riven also punked Mephistopheles, in his own layer of the Hells, but he was already a demigod by that point.

The only mortals who could solo an archfiend would be Szass Tam level wizards or Cadderly level clerics.
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  00:27:10  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

We could see the difference when Fflar Starbrow took on Malkizid (a true banished archfiend). He ambushed Malkizid and still got starched, as did the epic wizard Araevin and the epic priest of Corellon (forgot his name).

I believe that Kiaransalee was a god when she defeated Orcus. Riven also punked Mephistopheles, in his own layer of the Hells, but he was already a demigod by that point.

The only mortals who could solo an archfiend would be Szass Tam level wizards or Cadderly level clerics.

I think one of the issues is that there doesn't seem to be any true epic levels fighter in the realms. There are several on the doorstep though..

I think a truly epic level paladin (like Gareth) with a very close relationship with his deity might stand a chance against a lesser archfiend (Not an Orcus or Demo gorgon type) on neutral ground...

Edited by - jordanz on 01 Dec 2014 00:29:20
Go to Top of Page

Alamadaeo
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  05:44:20  Show Profile Send Alamadaeo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Epic levels would be a must, as well as an Evil Outsider Bane weapon (Or a Dread weapon from Epic Level Handbook, as well as some glorious armour, say from Book of Exalted Deeds as well as Epic Level Handbook). I'd love to DM that fight!

Alamadaeo: http://40.media.tumblr.com/4828796b38923a6472e20a2c2e3ab705/tumblr_mfjzc0KBB61qfnq1do3_400.jpg
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  07:26:14  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alamadaeo

Yes, Epic levels would be a must, as well as an Evil Outsider Bane weapon (Or a Dread weapon from Epic Level Handbook, as well as some glorious armour, say from Book of Exalted Deeds as well as Epic Level Handbook). I'd love to DM that fight!

Does Foebane qualify as an "Evil Outsider Bane weapon"?
Go to Top of Page

Alamadaeo
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  15:27:55  Show Profile Send Alamadaeo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having only been able to find a very small amount of information on this property via a quick google search (I haven't the foggiest idea of which source this property is located in, and they took down D&D Tools' website) they look like they're pretty much the same property with a different name. A "Dread" weapon is essentially the epic version of a "Bane" weapon.

Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  19:03:02  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With very slender exception, it shouldn't ever happen. An ant doesn't solo a giant unless under very singularly spectacular circumstances. Basically unless you're a god or another archfiend, it simply isn't possible, and even then it's a question of where the fight is happening.

When it does happen, something odd is happening, be it an artifact, divine support, etc. I suspect that Mephistopheles wouldn't have any issue with a demigod while on his own layer of the Hells unless Asmodeus wished for the outcome that happened.

It's also worth noting that there are different classes (for lack of a better word) of archfiends - those in control of a planar layer (Demogorgon as an example) and those without (Malkazid for instance, or various Dukes of Hell that aren't Lords of the 9). The latter are within the scope of defeat by exceptional mortals, while the former aren't by the scope of most planar D&D lore on the topic.

And yes, Kiaransalee was a deity when she killed Orcus (they both were).

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  22:23:22  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"they took down D&D Tools' website"

Bummer!

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000