Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GENCON Tyranny of Dragons Seminar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  14:18:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Other than the Ed and Salvatore war stories there was little in the way of hard information on the upcoming ToD storyline.

In terms of the Realms in general and 5E, it was confirmed by WotC that there they have no immediate plans for a 5E FR sourcebook/campaign setting book and will just keep releasing novels and thematic products like ToD for the foreseeable future.

Don't hold your breath people.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 15 Aug 2014 17:59:56

Nilonim
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  14:27:31  Show Profile  Visit Nilonim's Homepage Send Nilonim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What !!!
Very sad and disconcerting news!!!

I can't imagine what that's means for the Realms.....
Are they going to follow the same road of thr Greyhawk CS...

Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  14:36:45  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very bad news - for me that amounts to 5E FR not really existing per se. What they did in novels and adventures didn't ground the world properly (because those are not the proper formats for that). Oh well, I guess that means I don't spend any money and just keep feeding on info from here.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  14:48:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i cant say i was surprised by yet another ball being dropped

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  14:52:44  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meh. Extremely disappointed to hear this. So we won't get anything on what happened to all the stuff that wasn't featured in the Sundering novels, like Halruaa/Lantan, what's going on in Thay, the Drow Pantheon and so on.

This makes me wonder, what's that huge quantity of lore that Ed has been writing of recent for.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 15 Aug 2014 15:06:44
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  15:11:12  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing that could redeem this news for me is if it's revealed that they aren't doing an FR Campaign Setting... because they are going to release all the info that would have been in the setting book as free web articles instead. Without that ridiculously unlikely scenario I, like Mapolq, don't really see a 5e Realms. At least for me, since I'm not interested in just novels and very much not interested in the adventures. Ah well, more money in my gaming budget for Paizo, or Evil Hat, or Frog God Games, or one of the other gaming companies out there.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  15:12:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose the one plus side is that i might get a few more people reading my magazine since there is no official new realmslore to look forward to

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  15:15:39  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal
[...]since there is no official new realmslore to look forward to

Damn, this makes me think, they are basically killing (or severely harming) the setting this way. Even for novels, Drizzt and Elminster and the occasional Farideh aren't going to cut it at all...

Edited by - Irennan on 15 Aug 2014 15:16:01
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  16:09:45  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... it looks like they're not going back to sourcebooks, even after the 4e non-strategy of not releasing much lore at all didn't seem to have really worked. They're trying a "new thing" with adventures and novels which isn't really much different from not releasing any lore, since it's all pieced apart and mostly irrelevant. Sure, novel readers and D&D players who don't particularly enjoy the Realms will buy the stuff, but they'd buy them anyway regardless of the way the setting grows. I don't get it. I suppose 4e wasn't the market failure we assumed it was.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447

Edited by - Mapolq on 15 Aug 2014 16:10:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  16:34:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very, very disappointing. I don't understand how WotC thinks they can make sales in a setting without giving us a main book for the setting.

I also don't understand how they plan to do any products for the setting without giving their authors and designers a common reference source.

I've not always liked the things WotC has done, but a lot of them I've not complained about because the decisions did make sense from a business standpoint. This one does not. They are making things more difficult for their own products, and ignoring a revenue stream -- because one thing Realms fans are guaranteed to buy is a setting sourcebook.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  16:38:40  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aww man this is what I was worried about. :(

Granted the maps in the recent adventures are top notch, I was really hoping we'd see a sweet updated campaign guide done Ed style.

Any word if they will be covering areas in these thematic adventures so they will somewhat replace a campaign guide? Such as one done for the Dales, Moonsea, Cormyr etc. Course if Dragon and Dungeon are redone and Ed can start sharing cities with us again like the Crimmor and Marsember articles of old, maybe it won't be so bad.

Sigh.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  17:05:16  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if this is being the case, I can only say:

"Help us Volothamp Geddarm. You're our only hope!"

Everyone grab a shovel, we gotta dig him out of his imprisonment spell so he can continue with his guides!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  19:18:55  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will they at least publish a document about what changed in the Realms after the Sundering (including which lands returned, the full racial pantheons and so on)?

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  19:32:15  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just think of all the discussions that have been on Candlekeep about who/what/why the new realms is going to include and return. In the meantime we will never find out? That just doesn't seem correct to me, something has got to give.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  19:34:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Will they at least publish a document about what changed in the Realms after the Sundering (including which lands returned, the full racial pantheons and so on)?

You might need to read the novels.

As for other comment from Wooly
quote:
I also don't understand how they plan to do any products for the setting without giving their authors and designers a common reference source.

Authors, and remember right now are only a few, are given a writers bible (or guide) of what is happening in the near future (or at least used to be given one). *Shrugs*

No one knows what the future will hold, however right now it appears not much to look forward to.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 15 Aug 2014 20:01:38
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  19:42:53  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

You might need to read the novels.

LOL. If they are going this route, then I'm completely out. I won't support this model, it only lessens the Realms in my eyes. I won't buy and read through dozens of novel that I might not even enjoy, just to have a hope to find info about the results of some events or about places/factions/deities that I like -especially not if those -when present- come in a very unreliable way- (through the eyes of a character).

Also what about the people who want to run their campaign and not stick to the -very vanilla- organized play adventures? Does a DM have to read through tons of novels just to get info needed to run a game? That's ridiculous, so much for the complaints about ''burden of knowledge'' that led to 4e...

Hopefully the DMG will contain at least some kind of update (I remember Mearls saying that it will contain enough lore to give a DM resources to run a FR campaign).

Edited by - Irennan on 15 Aug 2014 19:54:27
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  20:16:15  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if all the writing that Ed is doing is being turned over to the people working on the Realms MMO, assuming that project is still going.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 15 Aug 2014 20:31:39
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  20:22:39  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I wonder if all the writing that Ed is doing is being turned over to the people working on the Realms MMO, assuming that reject is still going.

I didn't know another FR MMO was in the works. Anyway, I truly hope that the lore Ed is writing is not for that, otherwise it would mean that there's very little to look forward for, when it comes to the Realms in 5e (at least for people like me, who don't care about organized play and the 465863th Drizzt book).

Edited by - Irennan on 15 Aug 2014 20:23:31
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  20:30:33  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Course if Dragon and Dungeon are redone and Ed can start sharing cities with us again like the Crimmor and Marsember articles of old, maybe it won't be so bad.

Sigh.

I recall Mearls saying on twitter and some interview that they have no plans for magazines at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  20:34:05  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An MMO would not be an ideal format for me, either.

But if it shows off places in the Realms that are rendered in detail according to Ed's instructions--the Royal Palace of the Purple Dragon and it's 600+rooms, for example--then I can see myself subscribing pretty fast.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  20:48:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
6th edition should be due winter 2015.

The release schedule for that edition will include 1 short novelette and 1 hotel receipt for the WoTC design teams year spent designing the new rules.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  21:00:30  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still floored, I don't even know what to say about all of this. :(

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  21:13:23  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The release schedule for that edition will include 1 short novelette and 1 hotel receipt for the WoTC design teams year spent designing the new rules.

I wouldn't say so. I don't care for the rules, but they appear to be popular, so maybe people will actually be happy with playing whatever ''major'' plot WotC is going to put out with their organized play.

People who want to read/run/play the Realms will probably be let down with this, however (at least that is how I feel, a huge let down, like if they were saying ''we don't care about you or the setting you like'' ).

Edited by - Irennan on 15 Aug 2014 21:14:27
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  21:20:13  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is there even a design team on staff any more? It appears most of them have resigned or been retired in favor of outside consultants.
There might be a design committee still in place.

Yes at times I am very cynical.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  21:20:30  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the lack of a setting book makes sense. At least a little bit. If these adventures (or storylines or whatever they wish to call them) are intended to provide the change in the setting(s) in a way that the playing populace "control" (guided by actions of the gaming societies and such) it, then producing a static setting book seems (perhaps to them) to be counter-productive. Since the setting is bound to change (subtly or epically) based on those adventures, then a static representation of that setting may seem (again, perhaps to them) to be counterproductive (i.e. "invalidated" perhaps before it's even released by whatever changes happen via those adventures).

I do NOT like this move. At all. It is incredibly disappointing. If I'm even partially correct in what I've speculated above, I would still be massively disappointed.

I don't purchase adventures. Never will. I make my own. I like the setting books as they provide the stage upon which I run my adventures. Lacking a setting guide and sourcebooks....well I'm actually tempted to just stick with Pathfinder to be honest.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage

Edited by - ZeshinX on 15 Aug 2014 21:26:28
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  21:26:23  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

Well the lack of a setting book makes sense. At least a little bit. If these adventures (or storylines or whatever they wish to call them) are intended to provide the change in the setting(s) in a way that the playing populace "control" (guided by actions of the gaming societies and such) it, then producing a static setting book seems (perhaps to them) to be counter-productive. Since the setting is bound to change (subtly or epically) based on those adventures, then a static representation of that setting may seem (again, perhaps to them) to be counterproductive (i.e. "invalidated" perhaps before it's even released by whatever changes happen via those adventures).

Those adventures are not supposed to alter the setting in a drastic way. Most info in the FRCG would still be valid (and have pre-established endings AFAIK). Also we need info on the setting, and about the changes brought by the Sundering, its aftermath on lands, cities, factions, pantheons and so on. Without those DMs cannot run a FR campaign, and forcing people to play their organized thingy with its fixed, standardized -often unoriginal- plotline would be an extremely lame move.

Edited by - Irennan on 15 Aug 2014 21:27:44
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  21:31:23  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Those adventures are not supposed to alter the setting in a drastic way. Most info ina FRCG would still be valid (and have pre-established endings AFAIK). Also we need info on the setting, and about the changes brought by the Sundering, its aftermath on lands, cities, factions, pantheons and so on. Without those DMs cannot run a FR campaign, and forcing people to play their organized thingy with their fixed, standardized -often unoriginal- plotline would be an extremely lame move.[/i]

Oh I completely agree with you. What I posted was speculation and my attempt to at least rationalize for myself (if for no one else) such a bone-headed decision.

I'm really trying to keep myself calm as well, since there's a least a small hope they change this and provide a setting book. Given WotC track record lately, that hope is very small indeed.

Edit: It's unfortunate too. 5e has me ready to start spending money on WotC again. Knowing this now....I may stop with the PHB and just stick with Pathfinder RPG. Sure, I could run with 5e rules in Golarion (and I may still)....but damn. WotC was doing so well in my eyes....

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage

Edited by - ZeshinX on 15 Aug 2014 21:37:19
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  21:39:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

Edit: It's unfortunate too. 5e has me ready to start spending money on WotC again. Knowing this now....I may stop with the PHB and just stick with Pathfinder RPG. Sure, I could run with 5e rules in Golarion (and I may still)....but damn. WotC was doing so well in my eyes....

I feel you. My hopes were getting up, seeing the changes brought by the Sundering, deities coming back and so on. Now I almost feel stupid for that.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  21:40:31  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually the more I hear about it the more I like it.

By not publishing any material for the post spellplague realms they are forcing people to play in the only era for which they have any information - the 1360 to 1374 DR era which is the one I wanted supported all along.

By taking this move they ensure there is only support for my favourite era and eventually they will have to start publishing during that time again because it is the only time that will have any fans.

Nice move WoTC.

Of course all that above statement is non serious, as usual WoTC have learned nothing from their mistakes and just pulled the trigger again on the gun held to their head in the game of Russian Roulette that is business.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  21:43:52  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just think it's really strange to NOT publish a setting book. I remember one time there was talk about how they had redrawn the 5E Realms map to be more in line with the original. And how we were going back to the original grey box feeling.

So what happened since then?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  21:48:58  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably some bean counter decided that a FRCG wasn't worth the effort.

But yes, it is strange: they talked so much about change, about the Sundering, about stuff returning, about the map, feel and so on. Where did all of that go? Was that merely a marketing device to sell more novels?

I also feel bad for Ed. What was all of the work for?

Edited by - Irennan on 15 Aug 2014 21:57:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000