Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GENCON Tyranny of Dragons Seminar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  21:49:55  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think they are even considering Realms fans/Gamers as a revenue stream anymore. They are NOT set up in the Dealer's Hall, and instead have just a single counter set up manned by 3-5 people to do all the selling here.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  21:54:09  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to take some time to absorb this and think on it. If I was to make my decisions now, I would cancel my order for the PHB, throw up my hands and shake my head in disgust. Then head over to Paizo's site and buy the biggest and fatest product subscription I can, and forever leave WotC and their products behind.

So yes, I'm going to think this one over for a good, long while. Perhaps something will change, or perhaps I'll just calm the hell down and be reasonable with myself again.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  23:00:02  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an odd decision. Hopefully they do have something comparable somewhere in the future schedule and it's just a matter of the left hand being incommunicado with the right foot.

A FRCS style book would really serve as a common touchstone for fans old and new to get in on 5E Realms. I still can't see a web or software product replacing a physical book in terms of visibility in game stores, book stores, Amazon rankings, etc. Speaking for myself, it's really the minimal item needed to make the 5E Realms exist as a cohesive entity rather than a series of loose articles. It's the foundation that later digital supplements can build on.

Realms and D&D products should be looking to be released in more formats and mediums rather than less. Every company can produce ebooks, but few can match the print quality and distribution of a big company like WotC.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  23:23:37  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a sneaking suspicion we've been HASBRO'D and any plans for a campaign guide were scrapped due to budget. If a campaign guide were to be released next year, they would already be working on it or have it written by now I'd think. Pure speculation on my part of course.

Makes a person wonder if the FRCS "book" is going to be a couple of pages in the Dungeon Master's Guide.

I'd really like to know what happened myself.

Edited by - Eilserus on 15 Aug 2014 23:25:09
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  23:42:34  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus
If a campaign guide were to be released next year, they would already be working on it or have it written by now I'd think.

Yes, I thought that all the lore Ed has been pumping out was destined to such a book.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  23:49:03  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well this certainly blunts any enthusiasm I had for playing the new edition. No campaign guide and only Ed and Bob writing novels? Sounds like nothing that I wanted. I guess I'll go cancel my order for the players handbook.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  23:59:25  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hasbro does not control WotC. They do, AFAIK, set the revenue requirements within WotC.

Previous to 5E, Hasbro made the decision to require each division within WotC to produce its own revenue stream, as opposed to letting the company's revenue be counted as one unit.

I get the sense that this policy is still in place. I think the reason the D&D side is shrinking in terms of staff is because the bean counters aren't willing to invest more money where they don't see a "big splash" of revenue coming in.

This makes me think WotC's budget was slashed some time back, so all that buildup about the Realms that we saw ended up for naught.

Or rather, it all got folded into regular 5E, so we'll see the Realms as a soft backdrop for the game, with an emphasis on the game over the setting itself.

Or like someone said above, the right hand might not know what the left hand is doing, and we could get an entirely different message in the next couple of days from WotC.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  00:08:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Hasbro does not control WotC. They do, AFAIK, set the revenue requirements within WotC.

Hasbro owns WotC and so does control it. They might not be involved with the day to day business, maybe not even by the month, however they control the Board of Directors and so set policy. This certainly effects what we are seeing. As WotC has other gaming products, Hasbro in their performance demands might have also forced the WotC CEO to focus on more profit items by cutting staff of the lower instant return. Want to play a card game, or is that not much supported these days as well?

All in all we do not know, who is making the business decisions or what factors are driving them. What we do know is Hasbro controls WotC by owning most if not all of its stock.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  00:11:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For all we know, they may plan on releasing the "campaign setting" via dragon articles.... and thus forcing signup to the magazine. That way they can kind of release it in bits and pieces.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  00:14:20  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But they said that there are no near future plans for magazines either...

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1828-A-Chat-With-Mike-Mearls-Magazines-Settings-and-More!#.U-tLtfl_siY

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  00:30:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1828-A-Chat-With-Mike-Mearls-Magazines-Settings-and-More!#.U-tLtfl_siY

He said they didn't have anything to announce. That's not the same thing as no plans -- that could mean there are plans that they are still finalizing or they are prepping a big announcement.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  00:38:44  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

He said they didn't have anything to announce. That's not the same thing as no plans -- that could mean there are plans that they are still finalizing or they are prepping a big announcement.

I'm wondering if they are underestimating how much they have to "show" to keep the fanbase engaged? They seem to be VERY tight lipped about their plans, which is not really the way to go with a testy consumer base.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  00:39:50  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus
If a campaign guide were to be released next year, they would already be working on it or have it written by now I'd think.

Yes, I thought that all the lore Ed has been pumping out was destined to such a book.

Yep, same here. Needless to say I'm confused too.
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  00:41:27  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the Mike Mearls interview the same source George Krashos is getting his information from? It seems to me like they are two completely different things. I'm most concerned by the "no immediate plans for a 5E sourcebook/campaign setting book" thing, not so much by anything in the Mearls interview.

Edited by - idilippy on 16 Aug 2014 01:01:41
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  00:42:43  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Different things. George Krashos got his info from the ToD seminar.

Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  01:01:56  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought so, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  01:07:05  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

For all we know, they may plan on releasing the "campaign setting" via dragon articles.... and thus forcing signup to the magazine. That way they can kind of release it in bits and pieces.

I'd be OK with that provided they did a bang up job of it. City maps by Mike Schley and a good 10 to 20 page write-up apiece by Ed would be worth it to me.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  01:09:13  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And even if there isn't a campaign guide coming, I certainly would like the opportunity to buy that 5E map they talked about at one time. Of course I could just use the 3E one like we have been, but hey I like toys.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  01:22:49  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I did find this at ENWorld: "Yes, at a Tyranny of Dragons seminar here at GenCon Mike Mearls said a Realms campaign setting book won't come out for quite a while."

Link: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?358294-No-Forgotten-Realms-Campaign-Setting-in-development

So maybe that just means we have to wait. Now I get the part where we'll get info in stories (novels), but the rumors part has me interested too. I wonder if this means we'll see regularly updated "Current Clack" from the Bearded One himself. The Current Clack sections, especially the old grey box and those old Polyhedron Mags, I have always loved and would certainly like to see something like that.

Edited by - Eilserus on 16 Aug 2014 01:24:44
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  02:50:05  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a real bummer as i was expecting not only a campaign setting for Forgotten Realms, but also for other universes like Eberron, Greyhawk, Dragonlance etc... : (

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  02:59:14  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Ed is currently writing world bibles, I hope WotC consider releasing them in a deluxe format book.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  03:05:36  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm speechless guys, I really am.

I feel gutshot.
Why do the Sundering if they weren't going to update the Realms?
Why use it as the setting for the first 5E campaign?
Why were authors and degi9sners saying they were excited about the 5E Realms if there aren't going to be any?

I don't get it....
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  03:11:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Exactly.

While this news is disappointing, especially for those of us who take pride in looking at our stack of FR core campaign setting books and hoping to add to it with the new edition, we must also remember that Wizards has a vested interest in keeping the Realms as a published setting.

We need only look to the way that the publishing scheduled changed to a more positive trend for the Realms in 4e to see that the company is very well able to shift toward opening up more of the Realms in designed and published sources for the gaming community.

I don't believe we've seen the end of published core setting books for the Realms. Yet.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Blackstone
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  03:45:31  Show Profile Send Blackstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah... so not impressed with this... Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the new ruleset... but it puts a stake in my interest...
Go to Top of Page

daarkknight
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  04:28:19  Show Profile Send daarkknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am... disappointed.

I don't know that I would have wanted to run a game in the 1480's/90's/1500's Forgotten Realms. But I would like it to be an option at least.

I like the new 5e ruleset (at least the Basic rules). It simplifies things a lot. But most of us don't come here because we think that 1e, or 2e, 3e or 4e was the best (most edition wars aside). It's because we love the Realms, regardless of which edition we choose to play in. We've waited with bated breath for what we anticipated was hard news on how soon after the core rulebooks would be released that we'd get news on what we could look forward to for the Realms. This kind of feels like a death. And if not a death, then our world put on life support. Maybe hyperbole. Maybe the wine. I'm not sure...

"That's it!"
Quote attributed to Talor Stormhammer, paladin of Helm, when fighting a frost giant.
Go to Top of Page

Blackstone
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  05:50:02  Show Profile Send Blackstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay... everyone chill.....

From the man himself.......

Originally Posted by mearls

The original tweet doesn't capture the full story - we're not working on an FRCS right now because we are putting the bandwidth available for such a project into thinking about how to do an FRCS.

If you think of how we created fifth edition, we probably put more time and effort into determining what it needed to be (playtest, etc.) than into actually writing the final product.

The DMG is also still in the works - we won't even consider engaging in our next big RPG project until that is out the door, everyone has taken a vacation, and we're ready to tackle another huge project.

Edited by - Blackstone on 16 Aug 2014 18:52:34
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  06:32:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackstone

The DMG is also still in the works - we won't even consider engaging in our next big RPG project until that is out the door, everyone has taken a vacation, and we're ready to tackle another huge project.

I think this might scare even more. The DMG not done yet and some other resources expended of campaign guide.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  06:32:40  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we are all just a tad sensitive right now(rightly so)and WotC kind of needs to walk on eggshells for a bit. I hope they manage to gain trust back.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Blackstone
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  06:50:04  Show Profile Send Blackstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree... one bad tweet and all hell broke loose for me...
Go to Top of Page

Mattias
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  08:25:14  Show Profile Send Mattias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mike Mearls clarifies:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?358294-No-Forgotten-Realms-Campaign-Setting-in-development/page5&p=6362108&viewfull=1#post6362108
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000