Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  01:11:05  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

I'm not sure when Lords of Darkness came out relative to Troy's RotAW series. It is possible that LoD came out before the Archwizards' series concluded, and that may explain the differing references.
LoD was released mid-2001 as I recall. The Summoning was published in March 2001.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zsych
Seeker

28 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  07:29:26  Show Profile  Visit Zsych's Homepage Send Zsych a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which would mean that LoD overrides RotA, or at least tells of the future after it's events. Understandable really. With Telamont having made his shadow mythallar after the Fall of Netheril(though admittedly off-plane where the Weave is completely irrelevant.. not that it matters to the Shadow-weave anyway)... Telamont should be able to fix it, or make a new one if he wants to(unless they cost a lot.. but if the costs were likely to break your back, they wouldn't be built in the first place)

Anyway, going to wait for Shadowbred.
Aren't we up for some spoilers yet? :)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  08:06:05  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zsych

Which would mean that LoD overrides RotA, or at least tells of the future after it's events. Understandable really. With Telamont having made his shadow mythallar after the Fall of Netheril(though admittedly off-plane where the Weave is completely irrelevant.. not that it matters to the Shadow-weave anyway)... Telamont should be able to fix it, or make a new one if he wants to(unless they cost a lot.. but if the costs were likely to break your back, they wouldn't be built in the first place)

Ah, but the Player's Guide actually backs up the events in the novels, and thus I'd use the trilogy more then Lords of Darkness, since the Player's Guide came out after either of them. :)

And to Sage: Amazon lists LoD as a Nov 2001 release.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 19 May 2006 08:09:10
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  08:22:43  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Zsych

Ah, but the Player's Guide actually backs up the events in the novels, and thus I'd use the trilogy more then Lords of Darkness, since the Player's Guide came out after either of them. :)
Indeed. The RotAW trilogy did not finish until November 2002. So the more complete details of those events would be gleaned from the three novels than what was written in LoD. And as Kuje said, the PGtF has the "Campaign Journal" which details the Archwizards' return post-RotAW.

quote:
And to Sage: Amazon lists LoD as a Nov 2001 release.
Aye.

The WotC product release details note November 2001.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zsych
Seeker

28 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  16:08:12  Show Profile  Visit Zsych's Homepage Send Zsych a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing that annoys me here is that a lot of the time you ask authors questions, they can't be answered due to continuity issues and what not, and thus having to be careful about what is said. And yet it would seem WotC doesn't really control what comes out, and we have inconsistencies of this sort.

The Shades are merely one Netherese city, and even they aren't at full power(nor easily likely to return to full power despite the fact that it shouldn't be much of a problem).

... Overall FR feels far too goodie dominated, with none of the evil lot pooling their resources or using the max of their abilities. Half the time it's luck that causes the goodies to win(that i find very unamusing).
The dark side should be allowed to build some decent credibility at least. Maybe win around 50% of the time, so that it isn't a foregone conclusion that a 1st level Fighter going up against a 40th level wizard is going to win somehow.

Also, i have this feeling that the Realms just aren't dynamic enough in the novels and the sourcebooks. Only small things, or small groups of people are usually effected to any great degree(usually).

I hope the current RSE will shake the foundations of all of the major countries, force them to change their way of life, one way or the other.
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  19:42:06  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul- Thanks for the prologue, your prose is getting better and better, you better watch it or someone might think that the Wizards of the Coast authors are turning into real writers, how will I turn my head in shame when eyed up reading a FR novel on the Metro! Hell whats next? Women playing D+D, yuck yuck!
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

805 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  18:02:13  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm trying my hand at creating a website. My livejournal is embedded and I've added discussion forums. If you are interested, you can find it here: http://home.earthlink.net/~paulskemp/paulskempshomepage/index.html
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  10:00:13  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zmartwychwstanie? Well, Lolth will like that. Taking over the Poles as well, I mean.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 26 May 2006 10:00:48
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  15:13:43  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul

Im currently putting together a Timeline of the Realms recent history (1372-1374) but unfortunately Wizards didnt date stamp most of the books, including yours.

There are a number of events in your novels that I need Realms dates for to add them to the Timeline and I was wondering if you could help me out

The events are

The date when Sojourner's Slaads used the Weave Tap in Skullport and the date when Sojourner caused the eclipse

The date Lolth started granting spells again

Thanks in advance

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4907 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  03:53:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The events of Paul's last Cale trilogy occur in 1373 DR from about April onwards for a couple of months.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30288 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  04:09:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't you mean Tarsakh?

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  05:53:52  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Don't you mean Tarsakh?

Or maybe it's Ukta :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  06:02:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The events of Paul's last Cale trilogy occur in 1373 DR from about April onwards for a couple of months.

-- George Krashos

ideally Im looking for a day for each of the events

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4907 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  07:42:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Umm, good luck.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30288 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  16:47:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Don't you mean Tarsakh?

Or maybe it's Ukta :)

Good one!

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2006 :  23:23:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Umm, good luck.

-- George Krashos

Im only after a couple of dates not a blow by blow chronology of the whole trilogy

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2006 :  02:46:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like Paul has escaped from the Drow and rejoined us so Ill bump realmslore request to him!

Paul

Im currently putting together a Timeline of the Realms recent history (1372-1374)

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7930

but unfortunately Wizards didnt date stamp most of the novels, including yours.

There are a number of events in your novels that I need Realms dates for to add them to the Timeline and I was wondering if you could help me out

The events are

The date when Sojourner's Slaads used the Weave Tap in Skullport

The date Sojourner stole the Tower of Eclipse

the date when Sojourner caused the eclipse

The date Lolth started granting spells again

Thanks in advance

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

805 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2006 :  18:11:44  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dargoth,

We never pegged exact dates to the various events. The entire trilogy occurs in a short span of time in 1373 -- maybe early summer to early autumn. Sorry that I can't do much better.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2006 :  00:40:54  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

Dargoth,

We never pegged exact dates to the various events. The entire trilogy occurs in a short span of time in 1373 -- maybe early summer to early autumn. Sorry that I can't do much better.

Hmmm I might have to come up with some unofficial dates for Cales trilogy then....

Any ideas on when Lolth started granting spells again?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

805 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  14:24:33  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Any ideas on when Lolth started granting spells again?

Dargoth,

I'm sorry to report that I don't know.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  09:44:15  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All we need to know is that she grants spell again

Anyway, it would be a good idea if the Wizards could decide on a date regarding this, as the question comes up time and again, here and on the WizBoards.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  11:12:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Paul:

Absolutely loved Shadowbred, and it engendered a few questions, so I thought I would throw them out here.

Question number one, innocuous and inane as it might be, is this (Spoilers for Shadowbred): A few months ago, you mentioned Led Zepplin as giving you some inspiration. When I read Shadowbred, for some reason the feelings that Cale had for Mask reminded me of the Alice Cooper song "Stolen Prayer," and his encounter with Mask in the alley reminded me of "Nothing's Free." I was just wondering if you ever listened to Alice, or if you were familiar with the above mentioned songs.

Question number two, I was just wondering, as you seemed to touch on this on your blog, how writing this novel was different with the "Under one Roof" situation at WOTC with novels and sourcebooks, and specifically if you were privy to the "mega adventure" from next year. When Riven mentions Cyric being busy with something big, this was the first thing that came to mind.

Thanks Paul!

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

805 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  14:13:39  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hey Paul:

Absolutely loved Shadowbred, and it engendered a few questions, so I thought I would throw them out here.

Question number one, innocuous and inane as it might be, is this (Spoilers for Shadowbred): A few months ago, you mentioned Led Zepplin as giving you some inspiration. When I read Shadowbred, for some reason the feelings that Cale had for Mask reminded me of the Alice Cooper song "Stolen Prayer," and his encounter with Mask in the alley reminded me of "Nothing's Free." I was just wondering if you ever listened to Alice, or if you were familiar with the above mentioned songs.

Question number two, I was just wondering, as you seemed to touch on this on your blog, how writing this novel was different with the "Under one Roof" situation at WOTC with novels and sourcebooks, and specifically if you were privy to the "mega adventure" from next year. When Riven mentions Cyric being busy with something big, this was the first thing that came to mind.

Thanks Paul!

KEjr,

I'm pleased you enjoyed the novel. I could not quite tell whether you did or didn't from your comments on the final chapters in the Book Club thread.

I have not heard those songs by Alice Cooper. Interesting that you raise AC, though -- on my drive home yesterday the eclectic radio station I listen to played "Only Women Bleed," which I had not heard in ages.

On the "under one roof" subject -- you know, I've never had much difficulty with conflict between games/novels, though that is perhaps due to the fact that I've never done an RSE before.

I have been privy to some of the details of the upcoming mega-adventure. I think (fingers crossed) that you're going to see some interesting references in it to some of the things from the Cale Trilogy (and I can say no more).
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
450 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  21:43:42  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, for whatever its worth, I just started Shadowbred and it's excellent. I found the prologue riveting. Most fantasy books, including FR books, have a decent storyline and fight scenes, but a good book that doesn't make. What makes it is believable characterization, and that prologue was amazing. Unfortunately, I can think of at least a dozen FR novels where the characters act like players in a real D&D game or a video game and not like real people thrown into a difficult situation, but only a few achieve the kind of characterization I think we should expect from professional writers. You're books have done so and you're work just gets better, so thank you for sharing your works with us.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  23:35:28  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vendui!

Just noted another thread over at the WizBoards (FR Magic, Deities ...) where someone asked what a chosen of Mask would look like. Now, to my knowledge, none has been officially created as yet, though one reply says that ... you guessed it ... Erevis is a Chosen of Mask. Would you view him as such ... or have him as a Chosen in your books?*

*Somehow this reminded me of The Mummy II and the scene in that wagon, just before the three rogues met Imhotep in "person": "this is cursed, that is cursed, there's a curse" As in: Hardly any half-decent novel character** gets away these days without being made or thought off as a Chosen of this or that deity.

** Obviously, Erevis is hardly "half-decent", but I would not view him as a Chosen.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000