Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  02:08:34  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that answers my question about Talbot . . .

But I understand the story is definitely "bigger" than a family reunion, as much as I'd like to see such.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  00:31:07  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm now in the third book of the first Erevis Cale trilogy and just read the physical description of Vhostim (sp?). Would someone who's read the whole shebang please tell me if we ever learn what species the Sojourner is (or started as, at least)?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2007 :  06:25:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I'm now in the third book of the first Erevis Cale trilogy and just read the physical description of Vhostim (sp?). Would someone who's read the whole shebang please tell me if we ever learn what species the Sojourner is (or started as, at least)?

He's a githvyrik (sp?) which is a special type of creature related to githzerai and githyanki.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2007 :  19:54:54  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

He's a githvyrik (sp?) which is a special type of creature related to githzerai and githyanki.

Thank you. That explains a lot about his shenanigans.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  10:22:32  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must admit you tricked me, Paul. When Mask told Erevis that Cale would help him retrieve something that Mask had lost, I immediately thought that it was the portfolio of Intrigue that Cyric had stolen.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  04:42:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you. That explains a lot about his shenanigans.

You're welcome!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  17:08:20  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

I must admit you tricked me, Paul. When Mask told Erevis that Cale would help him retrieve something that Mask had lost, I immediately thought that it was the portfolio of Intrigue that Cyric had stolen.

Perhaps it is. Mask is a professional liar, after all.

Anyway, lots more to come on Mask's origins in Shadowrealm. I hope you'll find them appropriate for a God of Thieves.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  17:09:21  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
That explains a lot about his shenanigans.

Shenanigans! Shenanigans!

Ahem.

Sorry. Having a South Park moment there.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  19:39:36  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahem. So was I.

I do have a question for you, though, Paul. It's rules-related, so feel free to pass on it. Can someone who is in the Plane of Shadow by reason of being a Shadow Walker or such-like, who is near the border between the Plane of Shadow and the Prime Material Plane use the Transdimensional spell feat to affect the Prime Material Plane? The feat seems to suggest that it works the other way around (at least for area of effect spells), but I'm particularly curious about whether you think someone stepping between the two planes could drop a spell in the Plane of Shadow and have it "bleed over" into the Prime?

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 10 Oct 2007 19:45:06
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  17:04:22  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I do have a question for you, though, Paul. It's rules-related, so feel free to pass on it. Can someone who is in the Plane of Shadow by reason of being a Shadow Walker or such-like, who is near the border between the Plane of Shadow and the Prime Material Plane use the Transdimensional spell feat to affect the Prime Material Plane? The feat seems to suggest that it works the other way around (at least for area of effect spells), but I'm particularly curious about whether you think someone stepping between the two planes could drop a spell in the Plane of Shadow and have it "bleed over" into the Prime?

Yes.

I'm kidding. That's a bit outside my area of rules expertise, such as it is. Sorry, JK.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  18:41:42  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

Anyway, lots more to come on Mask's origins in Shadowrealm. I hope you'll find them appropriate for a God of Thieves.

I must admit, I never was a big fan of Mask, but the Cale books have made him one of my favorite Powers.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  20:46:07  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorneI must admit, I never was a big fan of Mask, but the Cale books have made him one of my favorite Powers.

Good to hear.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  21:58:19  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure if this has already be asked and/or answered in this thread, but here I go:

Do we have a publish date for the last volume of the Twilight War yet?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 17 Oct 2007 21:58:41
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  02:03:13  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I do have a question for you, though, Paul. (snip) I'm particularly curious about whether you think someone stepping between the two planes could drop a spell in the Plane of Shadow and have it "bleed over" into the Prime?

Yes.

I'm kidding. That's a bit outside my area of rules expertise, such as it is. Sorry, JK.

Paul, I don't care if it is outside your area of expertise -- you have just stamped the answer with your imprimatur!

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  13:57:36  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I am not sure if this has already be asked and/or answered in this thread, but here I go:

Hawkins,

I believe Amazon lists Shadowrealm as a May release, but I think that is unlikely. I'm thinking June or July.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  13:58:36  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Paul, I don't care if it is outside your area of expertise -- you have just stamped the answer with your imprimatur!

And mighty is my imprimatur!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  17:28:48  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Hawkins,

I believe Amazon lists Shadowrealm as a May release, but I think that is unlikely. I'm thinking June or July.

Thanks, I will be buying them all at once so I do not have to wait between reading them. I was sad that I had to wait between Shadow's Witness and the Ervis Cale Trilogy. Maybe I will read Shadow's Witness and the Ervis Cale Trilogy right before it is released, then the events will be fresh in my mind. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that even though I have read all of the Sembia novels, Shadow's Witness is the only one I own because it yanked me into it in a way none of the others even came close to.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  14:11:28  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the kind words, Hawkins. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2007 :  00:00:35  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Paul, any chance of Ervis Cale prequel novels set in Westgate?

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  09:15:46  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Kemp!

Just writing the revision of Shadowstorm for the DnD-Gate and was wondering, whether the namesake of the book's title was something "ordered" by WotC to happen to Sembia ... for the new edition. No need to get into any details, of course.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  14:20:34  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Hello Mr. Kemp!

Just writing the revision of Shadowstorm for the DnD-Gate and was wondering, whether the namesake of the book's title was something "ordered" by WotC to happen to Sembia ... for the new edition. No need to get into any details, of course.

Zanan,

It was not. My creation.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  14:51:03  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Hello Mr. Kemp!

Zanan,

It was not. My creation.

Thanks for the info ... and good to know that too!

Now we just need to find a way to make days lasting for 48 hours, so you get additional time writing more of these wonderful novels

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Malkor the Mad
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  03:13:06  Show Profile  Visit Malkor the Mad's Homepage Send Malkor the Mad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Kemp,
I just wanted to say Shadowbred and Shadowstorm have now become a part of my book shelf for eternity along with Ender's Game, Harry Potter and most of Asimov's books (the science books, not the nonfiction).
Few books are powerfull enough to pull my heart strings and imerse me in the telling but Abelar's story really got my blood pumping. Having a 4 year old daughter myself I could see myself in his shoes every step of the way.
Thank you for writing such wonderful messages.

Mystic Theurge of Velsharoon
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  10:56:39  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malkor the Mad

Mr. Kemp,
I just wanted to say Shadowbred and Shadowstorm have now become a part of my book shelf for eternity along with Ender's Game, Harry Potter and most of Asimov's books (the science books, not the nonfiction).
Few books are powerfull enough to pull my heart strings and imerse me in the telling but Abelar's story really got my blood pumping. Having a 4 year old daughter myself I could see myself in his shoes every step of the way.
Thank you for writing such wonderful messages.

Malkor,

That's kind of you to say. Thank you.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Toedoe
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  04:42:52  Show Profile Send Toedoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I must admit, I never was a big fan of Mask, but the Cale books have made him one of my favorite Powers.

But he isn't the Prince of Lies

And I agree with Khorne. I couldn't stand Mask before you started to writing about him. He has gone from near the bottom to #3 on my list of favorite Gods. Although, if at the end of this series, Mask is skipping around sporting Intrigue once more, I shall have some strong words for you. Have you ever thought of getting out from under the WoTC label and creating your own world to write in?
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  15:21:37  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toedoe
And I agree with Khorne. I couldn't stand Mask before you started to writing about him. He has gone from near the bottom to #3 on my list of favorite Gods. Although, if at the end of this series, Mask is skipping around sporting Intrigue once more, I shall have some strong words for you. Have you ever thought of getting out from under the WoTC label and creating your own world to write in?

Well, the bronze for Mask is better than no place on the podium altogether.

I have written some non-WotC short stories and will have an announcement about a non-WotC novel project in the next month or three. For the record, though, I enjoy writing FR novels for WotC. I love the setting, enjoy my colleagues, my editors, and the fans. I expect to expand into non-WotC work more in the coming year(s), but that will be supplemental to, not in lieu of, my WotC/FR work.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2008 :  06:05:18  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Paul, I have a quick question. In your story in Realms of War, you identify the flowers the meadow where Rivalen murders his mother as having Avenorani flowers. As this seems to be an Elven word, is there a translation, or is that the flowers' proper name?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2008 :  16:20:07  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Paul, I have a quick question. In your story in Realms of War, you identify the flowers the meadow where Rivalen murders his mother as having Avenorani flowers. As this seems to be an Elven word, is there a translation, or is that the flowers' proper name?

Dag,

That is the flower's proper name, derived from the family name (Avenoran) of the Arnothoi arcanist/botanist who first bred them and infused them with magic (though perhaps he knew not what he had wrought, at least not entirely).

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 27 Feb 2008 16:22:10
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2008 :  22:46:43  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Dag,

That is the flower's proper name, derived from the family name (Avenoran) of the Arnothoi arcanist/botanist who first bred them and infused them with magic (though perhaps he knew not what he had wrought, at least not entirely).

-Good to know. Do the flowers do anything else, or have any other special properties other than what we see in the short story?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 27 Feb 2008 22:48:02
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  17:41:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, just finished your first trilogy, and am eagerly looking forward to reading the next one.

You somehow managed to make like Sembia and Shades, two things I thought would never happen.

Anyhow, now for the $1,000,000 question...

Would you consider writing novels set outside of the Realms, or even outside of game settings entirely?

I think your writing is top-notch, and I think it might be time for you to 'break out', as it were. I would love to see what you can do without your hands being tied, or if given the chance to develop your own world.

Time to move on up to the 'A' List, my good sir.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Mar 2008 17:42:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000