Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Candlekeep Presents 2014: The Vigilant Order
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  18:14:58  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
"We are the watchers in the darkness and the caretakers of truth.

We are the explorers who seek and the scribes who guard.

We are the sages who learn and the vigilant who keep faith."

~ Oath of the Vigilant Order of Sages and Scribes

Welcome to the 2014 Candlekeep Seminar! My fellow Lords Vigilant (Garen Thal, Brian James, and Matt James) and I are putting together the third annual Candlekeep Presents seminar for GenCon 2014! We're getting to the point where we have to put the event into the GenCon system, and I have come to solicit your ideas and input.

(Here is the original discussion thread from back in August. We're still consulting that discussion, but I wanted to refresh everything with a new thread.)

Basically, here are the issues we need to consider. All of this is subject to change. Please offer any feedback you may have!

1) Date: The current plan is to schedule the event for Saturday evening. The most people are available and at the Con at that time, and since WotC tends to reveal things Friday and Saturday, we'll have a good batch of information to address.

2) Time: The current plan is to schedule the event for 8-10 p.m., with an informal meet-and-greet thereafter. The event may say that it's booked until 11 p.m. or even later, but that's mostly so we can make sure we have the room that long. You certainly don't have to stay the whole time but are welcome to do so.

3) Theme: Our current concept for a theme is The Vigilant Order, an organization of scribes, sages, and monks dedicated to the preservation of lore across the years, decades, and even centuries. It's thematically appropriate.

4) Loot: We really don't want to ask for money, but in putting together the seminars the last couple years, we've created all the pins and handouts out of pocket, and that can get pretty expensive, particularly as more people show up every year. The more attendees contribute, the more we can afford to do.

Considering what's on offer--secrets, a giveaway of whatever we can put together, 2+ hours with up to a dozen authors and designers, including Ed Greenwood, R.A. Salvatore, Jim Lowder, Richard Lee Byers, Paul S. Kemp (if he makes it), Erin Evans, myself, the James Brothers, etc), the possibility of food--how much would you be willing to kick in to the seminar?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 30 Jan 2014 20:37:50

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  19:14:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dude, that sounds like fun. I really want to go to gen con this year. Hopefully my 6 month contract to hire will be up by then and I will have a vacation day or 2 to use.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  19:32:23  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd contribute $20, and that's whether or not I can make it.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  20:12:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I'd contribute $20, and that's whether or not I can make it.

I will echo Jeremy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  20:38:46  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm seriously thinking of making this year my first con (yup, been playing for over 30 years and have never made it). I'd be willing to contribute to the cause regardless though.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  20:39:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! I appreciate the support. This is all hypothetical to gauge financial interest: we have to consider the various issues at play regarding funding.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  21:03:01  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I won't be able to make it this year; but I'd gladly send you $20 via a Kickstarter or something...however you want to be funded.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  22:48:48  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Easily $20. And I'll be there. And if anyone still has an extra Harper Pin from last year, I will be hounding you to let me buy one.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 30 Jan 2014 22:49:11
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  23:22:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I doubt I'll be able to make it to GenCon this year, but if I can, I promise to be my naughty self.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  23:34:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Put me in for $50. And a few beers later on.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  00:18:28  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How are you planning to collect donations, or charge for the event or both? Regardless, I am willing to contribute.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  02:14:02  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot make it, and probably never will but I will contribute $50. I'm a fire fighter and in August I'm pretty much on call 24/7 so no road trips for me. My dream is to meet the incredible authors that have provided me with so much enjoyment over the years, maybe some day. The least I can do is kick in a little money for all to enjoy a great seminar.
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  03:25:55  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the funny thing about choosing the name of the Vigilant Order is that it is also the name of a group of Asmodeus worshippers who were almost wiped out by a deva Jinnaoth in the novel Circle of Skulls=P

*just saying*

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  03:44:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

And I doubt I'll be able to make it to GenCon this year, but if I can, I promise to be my naughty self.
love,
THO

That's reason enough for me to triple my efforts to try and make GenCon this year.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  03:46:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And you have my axe... Err...

I mean, you've my financial support for this initiative too.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  03:59:40  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love how THO says she might be there and George raises the bar to $50.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  05:49:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I get to meet THO, money is no object!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  14:16:15  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is our first year going.
Put me down for $50 (in whatever format you need to receive it).
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  14:50:53  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if I will be able to make it to the event, august is a long way off and my schedule changes by the month, but if there were a kickstarter or other reputable way to contribute I would probably be able to swing $20 pretty easily, and would be happy to for this. If I can make it I'll happily add in the second round of beers :)

Edited by - idilippy on 31 Jan 2014 14:52:02
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  18:20:53  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently looking into appropriate ways of collecting donations that will meet all of our needs (not least of which is the understanding that this isn't a purchase and that level of support might net someone greater shows appreciation, but potentially no material reward), and will share my findings with the other folks on our little steering committee. Once a decision is made and everything's set up, we'll of course announce things here at the 'Keep first.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  18:27:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, you guys! Thanks for your (hypothetical) generosity in making the event better for all! I can feel the Realms love radiating.

quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

the funny thing about choosing the name of the Vigilant Order is that it is also the name of a group of Asmodeus worshippers who were almost wiped out by a deva Jinnaoth in the novel Circle of Skulls=P
*just saying*
What, you think that's a coincidence?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  18:35:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TOPICS FOR INCLUSION AT THE SEMINAR

We have some ideas about what to discuss at the seminar, but I thought I'd solicit some feedback from you guys as well.

- Current Clack: What's going on in the Realms right now! (i.e. current events and WotC announcements)

- Campaigns of the Realms: Have you run a campaign in the Realms? Take a couple minutes to tell us about it! Let's brainstorm ideas for future adventures!

- Secrets of the Realms: Little known facts, obscure connections, and conspiracy theories!

- Author/Designer Roundtable: We go around and give each of our esteemed panelists a chance to speak about something related to the Realms! It may fit the theme (Preservation of Knowledge/Lore) or wander off entirely!

Other ideas?

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  19:26:47  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Large quantities of ale to be consumed by all in true dwarven fashion!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  21:11:08  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some feedback:

1) Date - Saturday night should work well. It's been nice doing the event somewhat earlier in the week in the past, but I think doing the 'big night' of the weekend is good as it will give the panelists a chance to fill us in on the many Realms/WoTC related happenings that will occur prior to that night this year (I'm sure between the 40th Anniversary and the debut of D&D Next it'll be a WoTC inspired madhouse).

2) Time - 8 to 10 PM should be fine, as long as you aren't up against a WoTC event your panelists will have to stagger over from without a chance to grab a bite, but you guys would know about all that way better than I would. I think leaving the end of the event open ended for chatter/socialization after is a great idea. That has been one of our favorite parts of the event in the past. It should also give people a chance at a little fun after the event should they be up for it.

3) Theme - That's up to you lads. You've done a fine job with your prior choices, I see no reason why this choice would be any different. I trust your judgment to know what will fit best with the general theme of new Realms materials this year/what we might all enjoy hearing about. The 'Harper Hand Out' from last year was great, keep that sort of thing up!

4) Loot - I'll echo some of my compatriots above by saying I'd be willing to chip in a few dollars to defray the costs of the event for you all if there was a simple way to do that. I'd encourage you to consider some sort of online/crowd sourced method in advance of the thing rather than just putting out a 'tip jar' at the door for reasons too numerous to mention. Advertise that here and I'm sure you'll get to whatever your target level of donations would be in short enough order (as I assume you'd be targeting a fairly modest sum).

5) Topics for Inclusion - All four of those sound good. I like the idea of some formal element of audience feedback/participation beyond the usual barrage of questions to the panelists (your 'tell us about your campaign' concept). One of the things that has worked best for you in the past is the 'give and take' nature of the event. Please continue to foster that. You might have audience DMs tell you about their campaigns, then throw it open to the panel to toss a bit of lore or an adventure hook back at said DMs that they think would be fun to include in that campaign ("I got the idea for this encounter/NPC/plot hook directly from X at GenCon!").

5) Miscellany - A couple of things spring to mind here.

First, trivia/prizes? The new 'Spin-a-yarn' format from last year was great at drawing in the audience and providing better structure to the event. You could have a few panelist inspired (or chosen by you four fellows) trivia questions of a challenging nature to throw at the horde of self described Realms Scribes at the event. Offer up a few simple (read - cheap/free) prizes like signatures from all panelists on a Realms book brought by any 'winning' audience members or a printed certificate/ribbon naming 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place 'winners' (or just those for anyone who gets a question right first if you want to keep it less competitive) and I'm sure you'll excite the passions of the crowd.

Second, I've been running a little Realms based RPG adventure (with my own little spin that anyone who notices me here will know about...) on the formal schedule at the con for the last two years. My intent in doing that was to get some of you scribes to attend and enjoy the fun. However, while I've always had a full house, it's never been filled with exactly the people I did the darn thing for, you guys (and gals)! So, this year I was thinking (after chatting with a few of you four about it briefly last year) of doing a little short 'off the formal schedule' (read - two hours or so long max) adventure for interested souls from the Candlekeep crowd immediately following the event. If there is any interest in such a beast, I'd invite the four of you (or anyone else) to let me know and I will gladly whip such a thing up (including reserving a room for it as needed) rather than consuming one of my convention nights running a more formal event on another evening. It'd be my pleasure to do what I can to entertain a few fellow scribes for a short while, and give us all a chance to game together and share some more Realms related camaraderie.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  22:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be pretty darn fun to have some Candlekeep-specific gaming events. Count me in as tentatively interested.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2014 :  21:59:39  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to go...if I can get the week off from work and be able to make it over to the con, I can try to swing $20 (but not all in gold pieces mind you, coin is heavy and bela is much lighter and easier to carry large amounts with). I'll have a bottle of elverquisst (or other such liquor, like vodka) instead of beer (and definately no zzar!), though! And I would love to play an adventure in the Realms with others of like mind (most of my fellow players here are more into the Ebberron or Pathfinder settings, so I have little chance to play in the Realms sandbox )

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?

Edited by - Xnella Moonblade-Thann on 02 Feb 2014 04:30:56
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2014 :  02:42:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question: how many people attended the 2013 Candlekeep Seminar?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2014 :  23:31:20  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, last year we had something like 80-85 total participants. We're hoping for more this year, as we'll be doing some new things to promote the event.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2014 :  15:08:04  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last year was really fun, especially with the all-star panel.

No promises, but I've been sitting on an adventure I wrote specifically for Candlekeep back in 2007. Time has not been on my side, so it's been curbed. My intention was for it to be a Gen Con Candlekeep keepsake. It would be a functional adventure that you can also have the panel sign for you.

Anyways, don't hold my feet to the fire on this just yet. Vorpal Games and Red Aegis are taking up the brunt of my time. If I can swing it, it will be there in printed format. Available with AD&D 2e, 3e, and 4e stats.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2014 :  23:28:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be down for a Candlekeep game. Maybe a room full of Candlekeep games . . .

I'm already designing an adventure to run at the Con as well, though it's not Realms, not D&D, and not even fantasy at all. But then, I'm sure some of you (like me) moonlight as Mass Effect fans . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2014 :  23:56:01  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I can make it, I'd love to run/play the Great Khan Game.

Preferably with beer.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000