Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Candlekeep Presents 2014: The Vigilant Order
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2014 :  02:31:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm planning a little gift for the attendees, although 80 might be stretching my logistical abilities somewhat ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2014 :  04:28:37  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Matt - Sounds great! Thanks for including my favorite system, 2E, on your formats list. I hope you get the time to get it done.

Erik - Mass Effect you say? Definitely color me interested...

As to what I had in mind for an adventure I might run, I figured I'd offer a quick version of one of my standard Realms based 'Play Yourself' adventures. I'd either use the 2E, Pathfinder, or D&D Next rules set (depending on what struck my fancy). I'd use a scenario that would reward knowledge of Realms lore and a bit of glibness over combat capability (although mortal danger certainly won't be absent...) and that could accommodate as many as a dozen or as few as three or four players (so as many or as few folks could play as desired).

What say you all? Any interest?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2014 :  18:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Kris: Yes, I'm working on a Mass Effect RPG. For fun--not for publication (though I'd be a fool to say no if Bioware was interested). I'm hoping to have an alpha to test at GenCon, but we'll see what happens.

I remember you mentioning the "Play Yourself" adventure last year (or perhaps it was here on the boards). Sound intriguing.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2014 :  23:04:03  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik,

If you get that Mass Effect game up and running for an alpha test definitely count me in. Are you going up on the official schedule with it? If so, please give us a heads up (so I can put it in my cart and not miss out on tickets for it when it opens up).

I did mention the PYS game to you in person (and the James Brothers, and Brian I think) last year (at the end of the event). As I said, I've been doing one on the official schedule the last two years, but although it's always full up, it never drew the exact audience I was aiming for - Candlekeepers. So, I asked you guys what you thought might be a better way to do that. This year's effort was inspired by a suggestion from Matt actually, Lol. I'm glad to see you are interested. I'll wait for a few more head nods and then start the ball a rolling to see if we can't whip something up.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  00:02:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the James Bros would be willing to run a playtest of their Red Aegis game?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  12:12:19  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

@Kris: Yes, I'm working on a Mass Effect RPG. For fun--not for publication (though I'd be a fool to say no if Bioware was interested). I'm hoping to have an alpha to test at GenCon, but we'll see what happens.

If that happens I have to find a way to GenCon, that'd be something I couldn't miss being a part of, or at least watch.

Edited by - idilippy on 07 Feb 2014 12:13:24
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  15:51:43  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I wonder if the James Bros would be willing to run a playtest of their Red Aegis game?

We absolutely will be running RED AEGIS at Gen Con, but not at the Candlekeep Seminar. I doubt I'll have time to prepare this, but I'd love to play through the Days of Thunder or the Crown Wars with the RED AEGIS ruleset. One of these days!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  16:18:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

We absolutely will be running RED AEGIS at Gen Con, but not at the Candlekeep Seminar. I doubt I'll have time to prepare this, but I'd love to play through the Days of Thunder or the Crown Wars with the RED AEGIS ruleset. One of these days!
Sounds amazing!

Heh, sorry. I guess I'm supposed to be organizing this and I sound like a raving fanboy.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  19:34:59  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's posts like Brian's that make me wish there was a Like button.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2014 :  20:43:46  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well its my first Gencon this year, I paid for my ticket already.

So I would kick in some money for this. Up to $60 I think would be reasonable.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Feeroper
Acolyte

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2014 :  17:35:27  Show Profile Send Feeroper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Howdy folks,

Now that the Gen Con event catalogue has been posted, I notice that Candlekeep Presents is set for Saturday at 8pm, 2 hours in length.

This is unfortunate at Wizards of the Coast has a D&D event as well, not posted on the Gen Con schedule as of yet, but on the WotC website they have listed the following:

D&D Celebration Ceremony

Join the members of the D&D team for an event to honor players and Dungeon Masters!

When: Saturday, August 16th from 9:00 PM to 10:00 PM

I have a tough decision to make in the next week before tickets go on sale. On one hand it is the 40th anniversary of D&D and I expect this will be a fun event, but on the other hand, I love the Candlekeep presents seminars, and would hate to miss it this year.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2014 :  17:38:52  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I could go to Gen Con, I'd pick the Candle keep Presents seminar over most things.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2014 :  18:30:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We can't by and large help WotC's scheduling. Try do it in secret and don't announce it until it's much too late to do anything about it.

You're free to go to either or both. Come to the keep for an hour, and swing by afterward to see if we're still going.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Feeroper
Acolyte

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2014 :  18:41:31  Show Profile Send Feeroper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I know there is nothing that can be done about it. I find it kind of odd that WotC has chosen Saturday as their time slot for this thing, as it seems like it would be more of a Thursday or Friday thing like last years Evening with D&D event. I was just lamenting the decision to be made as the Candlekeep session has always been consistently excellent. I still have at least 1 week to decide as the events don't open until May 18. I would definitely do both, but the Gen Con event registration doesn't allow you to double book events if they are overlapping.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2014 :  18:44:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Candlekeep Seminar is a free event. You don't need to sign up for it.

As to whether you can pick up any swag we have to offer, well, ticket holders get first dibs. But otherwise, just swing by.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2014 :  01:28:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there will be swag ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2014 :  13:43:04  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its troubling me though that there is very little offered by WOTC. I was hoping for a D&DNExt or FOrgotten Realms panel. In any case I have this seminar in my wishlist.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2014 :  22:43:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This year, and for the past two years, we basically ARE the Forgotten Realms panel at GenCon.

Though we're company-neutral. It doesn't matter who holds the IP for the Realms at the moment, whether TSR, WotC, or whoever will have it after WotC. We serve the Realms as its own entity.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2014 :  23:52:16  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

This year, and for the past two years, we basically ARE the Forgotten Realms panel at GenCon.

Though we're company-neutral. It doesn't matter who holds the IP for the Realms at the moment, whether TSR, WotC, or whoever will have it after WotC. We serve the Realms as its own entity.

Cheers

That deserves a hearty "Huzzah!"

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  20:44:35  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it me, or does WoTC not actually have events up? I was looking for an assortment of their usuals (like Spin a Yarn) and couldn't find them?

That seems kind of odd speaking historically (especially since the ticket system goes live as of this weekend!).

Did we decide to try to do a little informal gaming after the seminar? Perhaps with some chips and dip? I recall discussion of same (and an offer from me to run something - or to bring a Lords of Waterdeep game with expansions to play), but I don't know how the new information impacts that.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  21:50:01  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey

Is it me, or does WoTC not actually have events up? I was looking for an assortment of their usuals (like Spin a Yarn) and couldn't find them?

That seems kind of odd speaking historically (especially since the ticket system goes live as of this weekend!).

Did we decide to try to do a little informal gaming after the seminar? Perhaps with some chips and dip? I recall discussion of same (and an offer from me to run something - or to bring a Lords of Waterdeep game with expansions to play), but I don't know how the new information impacts that.
This is, unfortunately, not as odd as you think. WotC often submits its events to GenCon later than the submission deadline, so they don't show up in the first publication.

There will be events, to be sure. Perhaps not as many as we'd all like, but keep your eyes peeled for more information.
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  23:31:55  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC has put a list of their events up on their website. Here is the link to the events they have announced http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Feature.aspx?x=dnd/feature/gencon.

They did not announce a spin the yarn event, but I think the FR seminar is the "Story telling in the Realms: Tyranny of Dragons".

Will the candlekeep seminar overlap with the Wotc celebration ceremony effect the attendance of some of the authors?

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2014 :  00:23:16  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn
Will the candlekeep seminar overlap with the Wotc celebration ceremony effect the attendance of some of the authors?
From what I understand from Ed at this point, no.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2014 :  02:16:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice timing on the "Storytelling in the Realms" seminar. Finishes at 6pm, so we can then all go out for food and beer!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2014 :  02:36:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
From what I understand from Ed at this point, no.

Our event is always informal, so authors/designers come when they want/can. As such, I can't really speak for anyone except myself (and I'll be there, obviously). That said, I don't expect problems.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2014 :  18:28:20  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In any case I will be there!

Go to Top of Page

angerZen
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2014 :  01:13:45  Show Profile Send angerZen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My wife and I were at last year's Candlekeep seminar. We are very much looking forward to this year's!

-Travis

Edited by - angerZen on 16 May 2014 01:14:22
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2014 :  13:32:59  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize the topic was the Lords of Waterdeep this year. Is the Candlekeep seminar suppose to be titled Candlekeep Presents: The Lords of Waterdeep?

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2014 :  13:55:15  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I didn't realize the topic was the Lords of Waterdeep this year. Is the Candlekeep seminar suppose to be titled Candlekeep Presents: The Lords of Waterdeep?
It is. More information coming in the next week or two.
Go to Top of Page

Nai_Calus
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2014 :  18:03:53  Show Profile  Visit Nai_Calus's Homepage Send Nai_Calus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly, Gen Con is not in the cards this year, which is a huge shame because last years Candlekeep Presents was by far the best part of the con for me. So much fun and you'll pry my pin from my cold dead fingers, heh. Alas. :<
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000