Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Candlekeep Presents 2014: The Vigilant Order

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 30 Jan 2014 : 18:14:58
"We are the watchers in the darkness and the caretakers of truth.

We are the explorers who seek and the scribes who guard.

We are the sages who learn and the vigilant who keep faith."

~ Oath of the Vigilant Order of Sages and Scribes

Welcome to the 2014 Candlekeep Seminar! My fellow Lords Vigilant (Garen Thal, Brian James, and Matt James) and I are putting together the third annual Candlekeep Presents seminar for GenCon 2014! We're getting to the point where we have to put the event into the GenCon system, and I have come to solicit your ideas and input.

(Here is the original discussion thread from back in August. We're still consulting that discussion, but I wanted to refresh everything with a new thread.)

Basically, here are the issues we need to consider. All of this is subject to change. Please offer any feedback you may have!

1) Date: The current plan is to schedule the event for Saturday evening. The most people are available and at the Con at that time, and since WotC tends to reveal things Friday and Saturday, we'll have a good batch of information to address.

2) Time: The current plan is to schedule the event for 8-10 p.m., with an informal meet-and-greet thereafter. The event may say that it's booked until 11 p.m. or even later, but that's mostly so we can make sure we have the room that long. You certainly don't have to stay the whole time but are welcome to do so.

3) Theme: Our current concept for a theme is The Vigilant Order, an organization of scribes, sages, and monks dedicated to the preservation of lore across the years, decades, and even centuries. It's thematically appropriate.

4) Loot: We really don't want to ask for money, but in putting together the seminars the last couple years, we've created all the pins and handouts out of pocket, and that can get pretty expensive, particularly as more people show up every year. The more attendees contribute, the more we can afford to do.

Considering what's on offer--secrets, a giveaway of whatever we can put together, 2+ hours with up to a dozen authors and designers, including Ed Greenwood, R.A. Salvatore, Jim Lowder, Richard Lee Byers, Paul S. Kemp (if he makes it), Erin Evans, myself, the James Brothers, etc), the possibility of food--how much would you be willing to kick in to the seminar?

Cheers
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Garen Thal Posted - 30 Jun 2014 : 20:26:26
Hi, all.

For those who were originally asking, I've set up a GoFundMe site to help collect contributions for this year's Candlekeep Presents seminar. It can be found here.

Thanks to any and all that give anything towards our efforts. It is greatly appreciated. Even if you don't contribute, we'll welcome you happily at GenCon--this year, or in the future!
The Hooded One Posted - 20 May 2014 : 20:45:58
Sure, Markustay. Just wear it without the pants.
love,
THO
Markustay Posted - 20 May 2014 : 13:57:57
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Our event is always informal...

So I shouldn't wear my bright blue prom tux?
Garen Thal Posted - 18 May 2014 : 19:15:11
And... a new discussion scroll, complete with official event information, is available here.
Nai_Calus Posted - 17 May 2014 : 18:03:53
Sadly, Gen Con is not in the cards this year, which is a huge shame because last years Candlekeep Presents was by far the best part of the con for me. So much fun and you'll pry my pin from my cold dead fingers, heh. Alas. :<
Garen Thal Posted - 16 May 2014 : 13:55:15
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

I didn't realize the topic was the Lords of Waterdeep this year. Is the Candlekeep seminar suppose to be titled Candlekeep Presents: The Lords of Waterdeep?
It is. More information coming in the next week or two.
Tarlyn Posted - 16 May 2014 : 13:32:59
I didn't realize the topic was the Lords of Waterdeep this year. Is the Candlekeep seminar suppose to be titled Candlekeep Presents: The Lords of Waterdeep?
angerZen Posted - 16 May 2014 : 01:13:45
My wife and I were at last year's Candlekeep seminar. We are very much looking forward to this year's!
Mournblade Posted - 15 May 2014 : 18:28:20
In any case I will be there!

Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 15 May 2014 : 02:36:09
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Will the candlekeep seminar overlap with the Wotc celebration ceremony effect the attendance of some of the authors?
From what I understand from Ed at this point, no.

Our event is always informal, so authors/designers come when they want/can. As such, I can't really speak for anyone except myself (and I'll be there, obviously). That said, I don't expect problems.

Cheers
George Krashos Posted - 15 May 2014 : 02:16:22
Nice timing on the "Storytelling in the Realms" seminar. Finishes at 6pm, so we can then all go out for food and beer!

-- George Krashos
Garen Thal Posted - 15 May 2014 : 00:23:16
quote:
Will the candlekeep seminar overlap with the Wotc celebration ceremony effect the attendance of some of the authors?
From what I understand from Ed at this point, no.
Tarlyn Posted - 14 May 2014 : 23:31:55
WotC has put a list of their events up on their website. Here is the link to the events they have announced http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Feature.aspx?x=dnd/feature/gencon.

They did not announce a spin the yarn event, but I think the FR seminar is the "Story telling in the Realms: Tyranny of Dragons".

Garen Thal Posted - 14 May 2014 : 21:50:01
quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey

Is it me, or does WoTC not actually have events up? I was looking for an assortment of their usuals (like Spin a Yarn) and couldn't find them?

That seems kind of odd speaking historically (especially since the ticket system goes live as of this weekend!).

Did we decide to try to do a little informal gaming after the seminar? Perhaps with some chips and dip? I recall discussion of same (and an offer from me to run something - or to bring a Lords of Waterdeep game with expansions to play), but I don't know how the new information impacts that.
This is, unfortunately, not as odd as you think. WotC often submits its events to GenCon later than the submission deadline, so they don't show up in the first publication.

There will be events, to be sure. Perhaps not as many as we'd all like, but keep your eyes peeled for more information.
Kris the Grey Posted - 14 May 2014 : 20:44:35
Is it me, or does WoTC not actually have events up? I was looking for an assortment of their usuals (like Spin a Yarn) and couldn't find them?

That seems kind of odd speaking historically (especially since the ticket system goes live as of this weekend!).

Did we decide to try to do a little informal gaming after the seminar? Perhaps with some chips and dip? I recall discussion of same (and an offer from me to run something - or to bring a Lords of Waterdeep game with expansions to play), but I don't know how the new information impacts that.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 12 May 2014 : 23:52:16
quote:

This year, and for the past two years, we basically ARE the Forgotten Realms panel at GenCon.

Though we're company-neutral. It doesn't matter who holds the IP for the Realms at the moment, whether TSR, WotC, or whoever will have it after WotC. We serve the Realms as its own entity.

Cheers

That deserves a hearty "Huzzah!"
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 12 May 2014 : 22:43:57
This year, and for the past two years, we basically ARE the Forgotten Realms panel at GenCon.

Though we're company-neutral. It doesn't matter who holds the IP for the Realms at the moment, whether TSR, WotC, or whoever will have it after WotC. We serve the Realms as its own entity.

Cheers
Mournblade Posted - 12 May 2014 : 13:43:04
Its troubling me though that there is very little offered by WOTC. I was hoping for a D&DNExt or FOrgotten Realms panel. In any case I have this seminar in my wishlist.

George Krashos Posted - 12 May 2014 : 01:28:00
And there will be swag ...

-- George Krashos
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 11 May 2014 : 18:44:20
The Candlekeep Seminar is a free event. You don't need to sign up for it.

As to whether you can pick up any swag we have to offer, well, ticket holders get first dibs. But otherwise, just swing by.

Cheers
Feeroper Posted - 11 May 2014 : 18:41:31
Yeah, I know there is nothing that can be done about it. I find it kind of odd that WotC has chosen Saturday as their time slot for this thing, as it seems like it would be more of a Thursday or Friday thing like last years Evening with D&D event. I was just lamenting the decision to be made as the Candlekeep session has always been consistently excellent. I still have at least 1 week to decide as the events don't open until May 18. I would definitely do both, but the Gen Con event registration doesn't allow you to double book events if they are overlapping.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 11 May 2014 : 18:30:31
We can't by and large help WotC's scheduling. Try do it in secret and don't announce it until it's much too late to do anything about it.

You're free to go to either or both. Come to the keep for an hour, and swing by afterward to see if we're still going.

Cheers
hashimashadoo Posted - 11 May 2014 : 17:38:52
If I could go to Gen Con, I'd pick the Candle keep Presents seminar over most things.
Feeroper Posted - 11 May 2014 : 17:35:27
Howdy folks,

Now that the Gen Con event catalogue has been posted, I notice that Candlekeep Presents is set for Saturday at 8pm, 2 hours in length.

This is unfortunate at Wizards of the Coast has a D&D event as well, not posted on the Gen Con schedule as of yet, but on the WotC website they have listed the following:

D&D Celebration Ceremony

Join the members of the D&D team for an event to honor players and Dungeon Masters!

When: Saturday, August 16th from 9:00 PM to 10:00 PM

I have a tough decision to make in the next week before tickets go on sale. On one hand it is the 40th anniversary of D&D and I expect this will be a fun event, but on the other hand, I love the Candlekeep presents seminars, and would hate to miss it this year.
Mournblade Posted - 10 Feb 2014 : 20:43:46
Well its my first Gencon this year, I paid for my ticket already.

So I would kick in some money for this. Up to $60 I think would be reasonable.

Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 07 Feb 2014 : 19:34:59
It's posts like Brian's that make me wish there was a Like button.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 07 Feb 2014 : 16:18:48
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I wonder if the James Bros would be willing to run a playtest of their Red Aegis game?
We absolutely will be running RED AEGIS at Gen Con, but not at the Candlekeep Seminar. I doubt I'll have time to prepare this, but I'd love to play through the Days of Thunder or the Crown Wars with the RED AEGIS ruleset. One of these days!
Sounds amazing!

Heh, sorry. I guess I'm supposed to be organizing this and I sound like a raving fanboy.

Cheers
Brian R. James Posted - 07 Feb 2014 : 15:51:43
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I wonder if the James Bros would be willing to run a playtest of their Red Aegis game?

We absolutely will be running RED AEGIS at Gen Con, but not at the Candlekeep Seminar. I doubt I'll have time to prepare this, but I'd love to play through the Days of Thunder or the Crown Wars with the RED AEGIS ruleset. One of these days!
idilippy Posted - 07 Feb 2014 : 12:12:19
quote:

@Kris: Yes, I'm working on a Mass Effect RPG. For fun--not for publication (though I'd be a fool to say no if Bioware was interested). I'm hoping to have an alpha to test at GenCon, but we'll see what happens.

If that happens I have to find a way to GenCon, that'd be something I couldn't miss being a part of, or at least watch.
Markustay Posted - 07 Feb 2014 : 00:02:35

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000