Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 In the time between the ToT & Spellplague
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  03:22:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just wondering something real quick, and figured it would be easiest to just put this out there and see responses.

I'm wondering, between the Time of Troubles and the Spellplague, just how many deities were replaced by risen mortals? Also, how many of those mortals were human?

I'm going to list those that come to mind:

1) Mystra replaced by Midnight
2) The 3 (Bane, Bhaal, Myrkul) and if you believe it, Leira, by Cyric
3) Kelemvor stealing Myrkul's portfolio from Cyric
4) Velsharoon possibly taking Mellifleur's portfolio
5) Finder taking a portion of Moander's power

Noting that Ostensibly Ao had to allow these risings. It would seem a large number of deific risings for a little over 20 years. Do you think Ao had a reason for it? Were there any particular linkages between the ones replaced that could turn an interesting plot?

I say all this, and my mind is saying

Bane is tied to Mellifleur's creation, as well as Myrkul's and Bhaal's. Mystra and Leira are also tied to a degree, with Leira being somewhat a servitor deity of Mystra (much like Velsharoon was.... servitor, but with their own side agendas as well, unlike Azuth and Savras).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  21:35:42  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main four from the time of troubles: Mystra, Bane, Bhaal & Myrkul were the result of their hubris. The disobeyed Ao. (Honestly I wish they'd bring that old Mystra back - much more interesting as a neutral deity.) I never bought into the whole Leira thing. In response Ao made 3 mortals gods in their places.

As far as I know Mellifleur was never a FR god - just a 2nd ED monster mythology god.

I think there are a couple demihhuman examples as well if you read that book through, but they don't seem to be because of Ao's will so much as the normal constant rise and fall of poweres in fantasy gaming :)
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  10:45:13  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mellifleur wasn't an FR god, but his apotheosis was linked to the FR. It would have been before the ToT however.

Sleyvas has done a lot more research on this topic than I have.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  13:10:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Mellifleur drew power from Bane in his creation.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000