Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 a big bang with out magic!!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blade020877
Seeker

Ireland
66 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2014 :  02:48:08  Show Profile Send blade020877 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am Playing a military game where I am going to be a saboteur. I am going to Blow up bridges, building and people. On some missions I have to try this without magic as detection is quite high... so question is what could I use as a non magical explosive??
And oil isnt what I am looking for as damage is too low

Thanks for your input

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2014 :  03:14:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that certainly can be a tall order for sudden results. Smoke powder of course comes to mind, that does not detect as magical IIRC. There might though be effective use of acid or alchemist’s fire that can cause damage enough for purpose of disabling target.

Improvised explosives also might include a rum keg bomb, a larger version of a Molotov cocktail.

There might be a few other options, but not many truly explosive items come to mind that are not magic.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2014 :  04:45:34  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nitroglycerin...nuff said

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2014 :  07:07:16  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A bag of flour. If you throw it and then somehow set the flour cloud on fire it could create an explosive. Collecting marsh gas in glass bottles, throwing it and then shooting it with a flaming arrow might also work.

But if you're going to try to detroy buildings and fortifications, you may have to resort to sapping. Dig a long tunnel underneath the structure until you get to the point below the bit you want to damage. Get some fattened pigs and trap them there then set the pigs on fire. Pig fat burns so hot the heat should be sufficient to destroy the foundations of a castle wall, causing the section just above the fire to collapse.

Alternatively, the Dwarves of Ascore were known to trade nonmagical explosives with some low-netheril cities that they used to help with mining. Guess that'd be roughly equivalent to dynamite but the secret of creating it could well be lost and require your players to reseach it first.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2014 :  08:10:25  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would simply run with alchemist's fire as something that already exists in the rules across all editions. Alternatively, there was some stone-burning alchemical substance used in the Spider Queen series during the attack on Ched Nasad. That's another option even if it's not explosive (and I'm sure it's written up somewhere).

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

blade020877
Seeker

Ireland
66 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2014 :  15:53:23  Show Profile Send blade020877 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for help

for a simple question its not a simple answer,
as i remember in 2nd edition there was muskets so they would some type of gun power but i play 3.5 now so is there any like that now?
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2014 :  17:06:18  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, you still have smokepowder in the realms which functions exactly like gunpowder but isn't made of the same stuff. It's also rare and almost always a controlled substance.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2014 :  17:28:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about monsters? Some have abilities that could prove useful. An Umber Hulk could probably make short work of a stone bridge, etc.

I was actually thinking about a tesla-like 'disintegrator gunnne' using sonics, but I don't know of any monsters with sonic capabilities that powerful.

There's always maltov cocktails. Spread enough accelerants around and one good throw can take out a building (or a whole block). As hashimashadoo said, even simple flour bags burst open in an area would make an excellent accelerant for a flash-fire.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2014 :  23:34:58  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay (snip) I was actually thinking about a tesla-like 'disintegrator gunnne' using sonics, but I don't know of any monsters with sonic capabilities that powerful. (snip)

Destrachan.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  03:01:50  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just take a beholder, cut out all of its eyes but the disintegration ray...encase it in a bondage getup, and then uncap the one eye it has left when you need it. ;)

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  04:53:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does it have to be an explosion? There are some critters that if directed could be highly destructive... You'd not have the bang, but giant termites could bring down a bridge, and a bulette could bring down a building... A purple worm could do either...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  05:18:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly as far as it goes, a good saboteur is well away from the scene when target is hit. If the saboteur is too close certainly might become collateral damage, a little further away survivors after a few attacks might describe a same person being there.

However explosions are clearly more exciting then sapping a bridge. I suspect the request (desire?) is for the more dramatic then the more effective. Doing any demolition well requires planing, it does however not require a bang.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000