Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 a big bang with out magic!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
blade020877 Posted - 05 Jan 2014 : 02:48:08
I am Playing a military game where I am going to be a saboteur. I am going to Blow up bridges, building and people. On some missions I have to try this without magic as detection is quite high... so question is what could I use as a non magical explosive??
And oil isnt what I am looking for as damage is too low

Thanks for your input
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kentinal Posted - 06 Jan 2014 : 05:18:49
Wooly as far as it goes, a good saboteur is well away from the scene when target is hit. If the saboteur is too close certainly might become collateral damage, a little further away survivors after a few attacks might describe a same person being there.

However explosions are clearly more exciting then sapping a bridge. I suspect the request (desire?) is for the more dramatic then the more effective. Doing any demolition well requires planing, it does however not require a bang.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jan 2014 : 04:53:55
Does it have to be an explosion? There are some critters that if directed could be highly destructive... You'd not have the bang, but giant termites could bring down a bridge, and a bulette could bring down a building... A purple worm could do either...
Dalor Darden Posted - 06 Jan 2014 : 03:01:50
Just take a beholder, cut out all of its eyes but the disintegration ray...encase it in a bondage getup, and then uncap the one eye it has left when you need it. ;)
Derulbaskul Posted - 05 Jan 2014 : 23:34:58
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay (snip) I was actually thinking about a tesla-like 'disintegrator gunnne' using sonics, but I don't know of any monsters with sonic capabilities that powerful. (snip)

Destrachan.
Markustay Posted - 05 Jan 2014 : 17:28:58
How about monsters? Some have abilities that could prove useful. An Umber Hulk could probably make short work of a stone bridge, etc.

I was actually thinking about a tesla-like 'disintegrator gunnne' using sonics, but I don't know of any monsters with sonic capabilities that powerful.

There's always maltov cocktails. Spread enough accelerants around and one good throw can take out a building (or a whole block). As hashimashadoo said, even simple flour bags burst open in an area would make an excellent accelerant for a flash-fire.
hashimashadoo Posted - 05 Jan 2014 : 17:06:18
Yes, you still have smokepowder in the realms which functions exactly like gunpowder but isn't made of the same stuff. It's also rare and almost always a controlled substance.
blade020877 Posted - 05 Jan 2014 : 15:53:23
thanks for help

for a simple question its not a simple answer,
as i remember in 2nd edition there was muskets so they would some type of gun power but i play 3.5 now so is there any like that now?
Derulbaskul Posted - 05 Jan 2014 : 08:10:25
I would simply run with alchemist's fire as something that already exists in the rules across all editions. Alternatively, there was some stone-burning alchemical substance used in the Spider Queen series during the attack on Ched Nasad. That's another option even if it's not explosive (and I'm sure it's written up somewhere).
hashimashadoo Posted - 05 Jan 2014 : 07:07:16
A bag of flour. If you throw it and then somehow set the flour cloud on fire it could create an explosive. Collecting marsh gas in glass bottles, throwing it and then shooting it with a flaming arrow might also work.

But if you're going to try to detroy buildings and fortifications, you may have to resort to sapping. Dig a long tunnel underneath the structure until you get to the point below the bit you want to damage. Get some fattened pigs and trap them there then set the pigs on fire. Pig fat burns so hot the heat should be sufficient to destroy the foundations of a castle wall, causing the section just above the fire to collapse.

Alternatively, the Dwarves of Ascore were known to trade nonmagical explosives with some low-netheril cities that they used to help with mining. Guess that'd be roughly equivalent to dynamite but the secret of creating it could well be lost and require your players to reseach it first.
Dalor Darden Posted - 05 Jan 2014 : 04:45:34
Nitroglycerin...nuff said
Kentinal Posted - 05 Jan 2014 : 03:14:23
Well that certainly can be a tall order for sudden results. Smoke powder of course comes to mind, that does not detect as magical IIRC. There might though be effective use of acid or alchemist’s fire that can cause damage enough for purpose of disabling target.

Improvised explosives also might include a rum keg bomb, a larger version of a Molotov cocktail.

There might be a few other options, but not many truly explosive items come to mind that are not magic.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000