Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 e book question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  06:29:51  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've got a Google nexus 7 but will be looking to upgrade to the new one soon.I'm just unsure about the stuff I've bought on this one.most importantly my realms e books.I've read that you're Google account will automatically sync with the new device and anything you've bought from the play store we I'll move over.i downloaded the kindle app but the books are from amazon.just not sure were that's going to leave me.cheers for any advice.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  06:34:25  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't imagine you having any problems with your purchases synching up, whether for Google Play or material purchased on Amazon and viewed via Kindle App. Granted I don't own a Google nexus, but do have a MacBook and iPad and have had no problems viewing content from multiple providers on those two devices.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  14:18:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everything I've got on my Nexus 7, I also have on my HTC One, including eBooks (though I use the Google Books app for that).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  15:44:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I now own two tablets... and I still can't bring myself to making the E-book switch. It just doesn't feel like the same experience to me.

I have to somehow overcome my reservations and try to force myself through one. I think once I get used to it, I'll learn to like it. Its just taking that first step I've been finding so damn hard. Its like it totally goes against my grain.

Weird, I know.

EDIT: As for the actual subject (sorry), I have had no problem switching between different Google (and other) accounts and between the two devices. My experience mostly comes from playing games, and it was hard to figure out at first (you have to logout of every instance of your screen-name, and sometimes your tablet can be logged into FB through many apps at once), but it is possible, and can even be done quickly once you get the knack for it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Jan 2014 15:49:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  15:56:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I now own two tablets... and I still can't bring myself to making the E-book switch. It just doesn't feel like the same experience to me.

I have to somehow overcome my reservations and try to force myself through one. I think once I get used to it, I'll learn to like it. Its just taking that first step I've been finding so damn hard. Its like it totally goes against my grain.

Weird, I know.

I've not made the switch... I still vastly prefer dead tree format.

Most of the eBooks I've read did not exist in dead tree format, so it was eBook or not reading them. One eBook I read because it was free with the printed version, and I wasn't about to wait for the printed version to ship... And another was part of a Kickstarter; the eBook was available long before the print version, and I decided to go ahead and read it because it seemed an interesting concept.

Most of the time, I'm reading a printed book. I save the eBook reading for when I either have to read in the dark (like when my wife is cuddling our son on the couch, trying to get him to go to sleep), or for when I don't have a print book handy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  22:27:09  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Weird, I know.

EDIT: As for the actual subject (sorry), I have had no problem switching between different Google (and other) accounts and between the two devices. My experience mostly comes from playing games, and it was hard to figure out at first (you have to logout of every instance of your screen-name, and sometimes your tablet can be logged into FB through many apps at once), but it is possible, and can even be done quickly once you get the knack for it.

thanks for the reply guys.I was the same as you markustay.but with ebooks I find myself reading through them faster than normal books as I ve always got my tablet with me.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2014 :  23:03:22  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you‘re worried about eBook format compatibility with your new device then pause to consider your position when you upgrade again in the future.

I personally only accept “open“ PDF formats, going so far as to convert all of my DRM-locked or proprietary-format documents into clean PDFs so that I may archive, access, or read them (offline, anytime) on any device I choose. I‘m of the viewpoint that once I purchase a copy, I should be able to own and use it any way I please, without reporting to the marketing mothership, without having to pay any ongoing subscription or upgrade costs, without any risk of my purchase being altered or locked out.

If you buy into a proprietary path - like Kindle or iTunes - then you get an excellent product. Many people are willing to pay a premium to enjoy a brand quality standard, and most don‘t mind restricting themselves to the proprietary upgrade path.

You always have the option of choosing another reader device or installing other eBook software as necessary on your preferred device.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  20:59:22  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should be ok.

Here's what I'd suggest doing.

Download the Kindle app for your PC and get all your ebooks also on your PC. Once you have access to them on your PC, they're VERY simple to convert over to epub should you have any trouble getting amazon to recognize your new tablet. In epub, there are literally dozens of solutions from there for reading them.

I use a Kobo to read my ebooks but I buy everything from amazon in kindle format.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000