Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Chat with Ed Greenwood (Friday Feb 6th)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  18:29:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

Indeed, the creator and master of the Forgotten Realms hast requested to speak with the Scribes of Candlekeep, amongst others.

Here be the announcement of his coming to Mortality.net:

This friday, we're having Mortality Radio Show #50. Our guest will be none other than Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.
We're expecting this to be one of our bigger shows, and we hope to see you all there.

Show starts Friday, Feb. 6th, at 8PM EST.

For more information, please visit Mortality Radio

....and for those who will be speaking to the great sage, report back here forthwith!!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  19:33:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beshaba's butt. I can't use IRC.

Someone ask him stuff like what new things in the Realms are things he created, and what someone else did -- like the Shadow Weave, that sort of thing.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  20:09:07  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How does the radio show bit work with the IRC chat bit?

Bookwyrm, that particular question's been answered on REALMS-L:
quote:
Oh, and an answer to Mage!: no, the Shadow Weave was
not my invention. I believe it originated with Rich
Baker, whose novel The Shadow Stone was rescued from
Birthright and whisked into the Realms. Neither was
the return of Shade, the phaerimm, or the Archwizards
thereof. Very interesting (even though I personally
hate most RSEs), but the published Realms must always
offer maximum interesting play possibilities without
tearing up everything, so . . . qualified success,
thus far.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  20:31:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's an RSE?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  20:54:30  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Realms-shattering event or Realms-shaking event, as pioneered by the Avatar trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  21:11:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, now what he said makes sense. Ed Greenwood didn't seem the type to want stories that affect the entire world of Toril. Which is why I like the Forgotten Realms over other such series. All the stories, happening at the same time -- it's more real.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  05:23:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Confound it..., I'll be at work all day Friday. It's a shame too, because I wanted to ask him some follow up questions from the WotC chat he did a while back...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  09:10:12  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Hmmmmm, being as there are to be a number of scribes who have questions for the old Sage of the Realms but are unable to attend.....

Maybe those who CAN attend can say so here and those who can not attend could state their questions herein, thus collating a list for those who are attending the event?

I think i've confused myself!

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  12:41:03  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Maybe those who CAN attend can say so here and those who can not attend could state their questions herein, thus collating a list for those who are attending the event?

I think i've confused myself!

I had a sudden flashback to the two guards in Monty Python and the Holy Grail when I read that, Alaundo
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  14:23:02  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can someone explain how this is both a radio show and an IRC chat?

Posting questions here, we may be able to answer some of them in advance, as I did above.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  15:12:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Can someone explain how this is both a radio show and an IRC chat?

Posting questions here, we may be able to answer some of them in advance, as I did above.

Basically the audience gathers in the channel and interacts before, after, and sometimes during the show with the hosts. At a scheduled time, the guest(who sometimes is in the chat room too) calls in to the radio station the show is being broadcasted from. As the audience listens via Winamp broadcast (the show gives out a URL to listen in to the interview and the hosts talking), the guest is asked questions, etc.

All in all not a bad program although sometimes there are glitches....

I hope that somehow made sense. I'm just on my first cup of coffee so something may have been confusing.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  15:52:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can also put forth questions for the hosts to ask Mr. Greenwood at the following thread:

http://www.mortality.net/board/read.php?TID=8398&page=1#71331
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  15:53:36  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey! What the blazes happened to my p....oh..carry on then!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  17:03:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like we'll be able to download the radio show as an mp3. That's something, at least.

Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  18:43:55  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can someone please let me know what I need to do to listen in on the discussion? I'm not sure what is required. The site itself seems cluttered, and I couldn't find any information. Could someone help me?

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  03:11:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crust

Can someone please let me know what I need to do to listen in on the discussion? I'm not sure what is required. The site itself seems cluttered, and I couldn't find any information. Could someone help me?

Go to MIRC's homepage and download that program to log onto the chat area. From the channel, they give out the information to listen to the audio interview. I use Winamp to listen in, so you need to download it or its equivalent.

Otherwise, just wait til a day or so passes, and download the show once it's posted online. From there all you need is some type of audio player again that plays mp3s.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  06:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might be participating/listening....
Oh, and another IRC possibility is this.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  09:20:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

It looks like we'll be able to download the radio show as an mp3. That's something, at least.

You will indeed Bookwyrm. In fact all of the 'chats' based at Mortality.net can be downloaded, just go to their website and have a browse through their interview catalogue.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2004 :  16:50:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'm going to download or stream that interview (depends on my mood and time) when it comes on. 2000h EST isn't a time slot I'm allowed to use in my house.

Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  03:21:42  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed said that if there were any more questions people wanted answers to that they could post them here on candlekeep and he'd send someone around to collect them for him.
Go to Top of Page

Naroon Shimmerflow
Learned Scribe

Norway
104 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  04:23:44  Show Profile Send Naroon Shimmerflow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this might be a silly question, but will the be possible to downloade the MP3 version of the interview from Candlekeep? I kind of have a problem getting that radio station tuned in over here

Good dice rolls, beats good tactics anytime[/size=1]

Edited by - Naroon Shimmerflow on 07 Feb 2004 04:24:51
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  09:39:35  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Naroon Shimmerflow

this might be a silly question, but will the be possible to downloade the MP3 version of the interview from Candlekeep? I kind of have a problem getting that radio station tuned in over here

Well met

We are currently in discussions with Mortality to acquire a copy of this interview to place within the library. I will keep thee all informed

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  09:40:23  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Herr Doktor

Ed said that if there were any more questions people wanted answers to that they could post them here on candlekeep and he'd send someone around to collect them for him.

Well met

Quick, someone fetch the finest bottle of Elverquist

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Adlon
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  14:02:51  Show Profile  Visit Adlon's Homepage Send Adlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail, and well met, all.

My name is Adlon, one of two hosts for the Mortality Radio Show.

I stopped by to introduce myself, and to answer a few possible questions.

As far as listening to the show live as it's happening, all one needs is Winamp for PC, or Audion for MAC. You type or paste the address of the server in the Open Location area, and hit ok. You should get the live feed within seconds in the states, to a minute in Europe, and where ever else we here in the states consider overseas.
Good results can USUALLY be obtained even on a 56 K dial up connection, though 'overseas' connections may suffer if on a 56K.

Now, to listen to the show after it's over, the archive, you have two options.

Option one is to download the entire MP3 to your computer. The Ed Greenwood show is about 32 MB in size. Quite chunky to some. But, once you have it on your system, you can listen to it as you wish, fast forwarding, pausing, and the like.

Option two: you can stream it off of our server. When you click on the archive link, you should get the opportunity to either SAVE, or Open. Choose Open, and your MP3 player should start up automatically.

As for show information, you can go to http://www.mortality.net/shoutcast.php

There is a large Mortality Radio graphic on the main Mortality.Net page, top center, which is also a link to the shoutcast page.

I'll work out details for a mirror download of the show with the webmaster of Candlekeep.

The show with Ed was a blast. Some of you may have come, an I thank you for doing so. Hopefully, you liked the show, and will continue to return.

.......Until Swords Part
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  17:04:35  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Thank ye for providing this information to the resident scribes, Adlon.

Indeed we shall be making this chat with Ed avaiable in the library soon. In the meantime, please see the original over at Mortality, as mentioned by Adlon.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  17:09:41  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adlon is a very sweet person and always courteous even if he did hang up on Ed Greenwood a few times before finally starting the interview.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  17:14:15  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Herr Doktor

Someone grab Elminster's pipe and threaten not to return it until Mr. Greenwood provides some details about the upcoming Waterdeep novel. August 2005 is too long to wait for City of Splendor fans.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  04:47:39  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I just finished listening to it an hour ago. It was hard to do, though -- I'm sensitive to high sounds, such as sqealing brakes and sirens and scratchy phone connections with master sages. Still, I listened to the whole thing, even though I had to pause often to rest my ears.

The was one amusing moment though. My father is almost completely deaf in the same ranges that cause me pain, and so when he came in while Mr. Greenwood was talking, he gave me a strange look and asked if that was supposed to be an alien's voice or something.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  10:02:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't had the opportunity to listen to (or download ) the chat yet...Just out of curiosity, how long does it go for...?

I'd heard at least 3 hours...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  10:12:54  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found it quite difficult to listen to, had to turn the volume quite low due to the high-pitched sounds and voices Therefore I only got about 10 minutes worth before I needed a rest

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  10:19:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's not all that strange Rad, although in some cases these problems can be traced to the type of 'player' you are using to replay the 'chat'.

What program are you actually using...?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000