Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Chat with Ed Greenwood (Friday Feb 6th)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  11:56:47  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That's not all that strange Rad, although in some cases these problems can be traced to the type of 'player' you are using to replay the 'chat'.

What program are you actually using...?

Im just using the standard Windows Media player and have a SoundBlaster Live! card. If its more bearable with another media player then thatll be great

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  12:39:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
Im just using the standard Windows Media player and have a SoundBlaster Live! card. If its more bearable with another media player then thatll be great

I know I had problems listening to it with Winamp. I had to mess with the equalizer settings to get anything that wasn't sounding like it was garbled voices coming out of the Big Clown Mouth at a drive-thru fast food place.

Big Clown Mouth: "This is Ed Greenwood. How are you doing?"

SB: "Not bad, give me a #2 combo and the new Waterdeep novel, hold the mayo."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  13:02:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

quote:

That's not all that strange Rad, although in some cases these problems can be traced to the type of 'player' you are using to replay the 'chat'.

What program are you actually using...?

I knew you where going to answer with Windows Media Player... I've always been very disappointed with the quality of sound from files that I've run with the program.

I've used Quicktime MP, and OnePlay Media Program from time to time without diffculty, and they also produce less interference than standard WMP. The only problem is, you must be registered to use OnePlay Media system (which I still think requires a credit card), while I think Quicktime can still be downloaded for free, unless of course you have a computer game which already has Quicktime ready for installation...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  13:18:51  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage, ill give it a whirl

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  13:27:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem Rad . However, if you are still finding the quality of the chat to be less than you expected, just let me know. I have a few other suggestions that may improve the overall quality of the file.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  16:52:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The chat with Ed Greenwood lasts somewhere between an hour and a half to an hour forty-five; I'm not quite sure if it's not longer, since I wasn't paying attention. The entire program is almost three hours and ten, but that's with a long span of music at the start. If you want just the interview, skip ahead the better part of half an hour, passed the synth music, the reviews, and the phone troubles they had.

I was playing in in WMP, I admit; remember, I'm a geek, but not a computer geek. I've not had trouble with that player before, but that was the first time I'd done anything like that. The main reason I like that program is because I can stack files and have them play in sequence. I'll give it a try with something else, perhaps.

Oh, by the way -- you get two free Beatles songs with this program; Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and the "seasonal song," (at least here in the U.S.) . . . Taxman.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2004 :  07:56:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm a geek, but I am also that special and rare breed of geek that tinkers with computers so again, your problem with WMP does not surprise me . I just wish Microsoft would advance their plans on the revising and restructuring of WMP as they said they would at the start of last year. I really don't understand why it is taking so long, the basic program is simple enough to modify, as is the code...

Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  01:07:39  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've found that messing with Winamps equalizer can really help with the over the phone quality of the Ed Greenwood interview. He starts out talking rather loud, though, maybe just enthusiasm, but that part is rather hard to comprehend because of the hissing static.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  03:19:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really think it's less because of the player than because of the actual event. These guys are far from professionals; no noise-reducing mikes, for instance.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  06:01:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

I really think it's less because of the player than because of the actual event. These guys are far from professionals; no noise-reducing mikes, for instance.

Agreed, but they go out of their way to produce a free show and are not getting dime one themselves. Well, they do get to chat with people like Ed Greenwood....

No, Mortality is not professional and very chaotic at times, but they make up for it with their passion. Give me passion any day when it comes to roleplaying.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  07:12:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed (oops, copy-dragon )

The same goes for any free service. One of my favorites is (as my friends are often tired of ) the webcomic. Especially Schlock Mercenary, a humor-packed sci-fi serial that has never missed a single day. And by that I mean no reruns or fan art filler. There's only one other webcartoonist who's ever done that to my knowledge, and he's a professional. Howard Tayler isn't; but for my money he's better than most syndicated folks.

There are a lot of others who haven't been so fortunate. Most people have jobs that don't allow for their hobbies, so when it produces something that other people enjoy, those people can't complain about service.

I believe I said something similar here once, when the Candlekeep server was being buggy.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  11:53:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

...There are a lot of others who haven't been so fortunate. Most people have jobs that don't allow for their hobbies, so when it produces something that other people enjoy, those people can't complain about service...
I can relate to that, at least in a small way. I've been rapidly finding myself with less and less time to devote to anything outside of my work at the moment, even my weekly game sessions have been put on hold for this month...

In fact, I haven't worked on anything (D&D-related) for at least two weeks, and it's starting to show. Do you know, that I had to look into the PHB glossary to remind myself about a number of terms that I had forgotten...

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  18:44:44  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I can relate to that, at least in a small way. I've been rapidly finding myself with less and less time to d

evote to anything outside of my work at the moment, even my weekly game sessions have been put on hold for this month...

In fact, I haven't worked on anything (D&D-related) for at least two weeks, and it's starting to show. Do you know, that I had to look into the PHB glossary to remind myself about a number of terms that I had forgotten...

Well met

Thats not the kind of words I want to be hearing from the likes of YOU, Sage Now you better ensure you get your priorities sorted out, forthwith!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  01:36:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I apologise greatly wise Alaundo....for these words that seemed to have caused you great distress. I will return to my studies immediately...

::The Sage returns a small tome he had been reading -'Aristotle on Ethics' - previously to the shelves. Once he was assured the book was carefully placed away, he returned to his desk, picking up a copy of something called 'Unapproachable East' from a small stack of dusty tomes nearby...::

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  04:44:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

::The Sage returns a small tome he had been reading -'Aristotle on Ethics' - previously to the shelves. Once he was assured the book was carefully placed away, he returned to his desk, picking up a copy of something called 'Unapproachable East' from a small stack of dusty tomes nearby...::

Check that Aristotle book again quickly and see if it has any explanation for the Unapproachable East picture of an elf with a lightbulb on his forehead.

Aristotle? That a sun elf?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  06:05:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really...?

Come now Sirius, do you really want me to start talking about how Aristotle's interpretations on Plato's Theory of Forms might possibly explain this occurence that you just mentioned...?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000