Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Chat with Ed Greenwood (Friday Feb 6th)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 18:29:59
Well met

Indeed, the creator and master of the Forgotten Realms hast requested to speak with the Scribes of Candlekeep, amongst others.

Here be the announcement of his coming to Mortality.net:

This friday, we're having Mortality Radio Show #50. Our guest will be none other than Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.
We're expecting this to be one of our bigger shows, and we hope to see you all there.

Show starts Friday, Feb. 6th, at 8PM EST.

For more information, please visit Mortality Radio

....and for those who will be speaking to the great sage, report back here forthwith!!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 13 Feb 2004 : 06:05:09
Really...?

Come now Sirius, do you really want me to start talking about how Aristotle's interpretations on Plato's Theory of Forms might possibly explain this occurence that you just mentioned...?
SiriusBlack Posted - 13 Feb 2004 : 04:44:59
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

::The Sage returns a small tome he had been reading -'Aristotle on Ethics' - previously to the shelves. Once he was assured the book was carefully placed away, he returned to his desk, picking up a copy of something called 'Unapproachable East' from a small stack of dusty tomes nearby...::

Check that Aristotle book again quickly and see if it has any explanation for the Unapproachable East picture of an elf with a lightbulb on his forehead.

Aristotle? That a sun elf?
The Sage Posted - 13 Feb 2004 : 01:36:40
I apologise greatly wise Alaundo....for these words that seemed to have caused you great distress. I will return to my studies immediately...

::The Sage returns a small tome he had been reading -'Aristotle on Ethics' - previously to the shelves. Once he was assured the book was carefully placed away, he returned to his desk, picking up a copy of something called 'Unapproachable East' from a small stack of dusty tomes nearby...::
Alaundo Posted - 11 Feb 2004 : 18:44:44
quote:
I can relate to that, at least in a small way. I've been rapidly finding myself with less and less time to d

evote to anything outside of my work at the moment, even my weekly game sessions have been put on hold for this month...

In fact, I haven't worked on anything (D&D-related) for at least two weeks, and it's starting to show. Do you know, that I had to look into the PHB glossary to remind myself about a number of terms that I had forgotten...

Well met

Thats not the kind of words I want to be hearing from the likes of YOU, Sage Now you better ensure you get your priorities sorted out, forthwith!

The Sage Posted - 11 Feb 2004 : 11:53:42
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

...There are a lot of others who haven't been so fortunate. Most people have jobs that don't allow for their hobbies, so when it produces something that other people enjoy, those people can't complain about service...
I can relate to that, at least in a small way. I've been rapidly finding myself with less and less time to devote to anything outside of my work at the moment, even my weekly game sessions have been put on hold for this month...

In fact, I haven't worked on anything (D&D-related) for at least two weeks, and it's starting to show. Do you know, that I had to look into the PHB glossary to remind myself about a number of terms that I had forgotten...
Bookwyrm Posted - 11 Feb 2004 : 07:12:33
Agreed (oops, copy-dragon )

The same goes for any free service. One of my favorites is (as my friends are often tired of ) the webcomic. Especially Schlock Mercenary, a humor-packed sci-fi serial that has never missed a single day. And by that I mean no reruns or fan art filler. There's only one other webcartoonist who's ever done that to my knowledge, and he's a professional. Howard Tayler isn't; but for my money he's better than most syndicated folks.

There are a lot of others who haven't been so fortunate. Most people have jobs that don't allow for their hobbies, so when it produces something that other people enjoy, those people can't complain about service.

I believe I said something similar here once, when the Candlekeep server was being buggy.
SiriusBlack Posted - 11 Feb 2004 : 06:01:46
quote:

I really think it's less because of the player than because of the actual event. These guys are far from professionals; no noise-reducing mikes, for instance.

Agreed, but they go out of their way to produce a free show and are not getting dime one themselves. Well, they do get to chat with people like Ed Greenwood....

No, Mortality is not professional and very chaotic at times, but they make up for it with their passion. Give me passion any day when it comes to roleplaying.
Bookwyrm Posted - 11 Feb 2004 : 03:19:04
I really think it's less because of the player than because of the actual event. These guys are far from professionals; no noise-reducing mikes, for instance.
Herr Doktor Posted - 11 Feb 2004 : 01:07:39
I've found that messing with Winamps equalizer can really help with the over the phone quality of the Ed Greenwood interview. He starts out talking rather loud, though, maybe just enthusiasm, but that part is rather hard to comprehend because of the hissing static.
The Sage Posted - 10 Feb 2004 : 07:56:48
Well I'm a geek, but I am also that special and rare breed of geek that tinkers with computers so again, your problem with WMP does not surprise me . I just wish Microsoft would advance their plans on the revising and restructuring of WMP as they said they would at the start of last year. I really don't understand why it is taking so long, the basic program is simple enough to modify, as is the code...
Bookwyrm Posted - 09 Feb 2004 : 16:52:59
The chat with Ed Greenwood lasts somewhere between an hour and a half to an hour forty-five; I'm not quite sure if it's not longer, since I wasn't paying attention. The entire program is almost three hours and ten, but that's with a long span of music at the start. If you want just the interview, skip ahead the better part of half an hour, passed the synth music, the reviews, and the phone troubles they had.

I was playing in in WMP, I admit; remember, I'm a geek, but not a computer geek. I've not had trouble with that player before, but that was the first time I'd done anything like that. The main reason I like that program is because I can stack files and have them play in sequence. I'll give it a try with something else, perhaps.

Oh, by the way -- you get two free Beatles songs with this program; Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and the "seasonal song," (at least here in the U.S.) . . . Taxman.
The Sage Posted - 09 Feb 2004 : 13:27:17
No problem Rad . However, if you are still finding the quality of the chat to be less than you expected, just let me know. I have a few other suggestions that may improve the overall quality of the file.
Lord Rad Posted - 09 Feb 2004 : 13:18:51
Thanks Sage, ill give it a whirl
The Sage Posted - 09 Feb 2004 : 13:02:05
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

quote:

That's not all that strange Rad, although in some cases these problems can be traced to the type of 'player' you are using to replay the 'chat'.

What program are you actually using...?

Im just using the standard Windows Media player and have a SoundBlaster Live! card. If its more bearable with another media player then thatll be great

I knew you where going to answer with Windows Media Player... I've always been very disappointed with the quality of sound from files that I've run with the program.

I've used Quicktime MP, and OnePlay Media Program from time to time without diffculty, and they also produce less interference than standard WMP. The only problem is, you must be registered to use OnePlay Media system (which I still think requires a credit card), while I think Quicktime can still be downloaded for free, unless of course you have a computer game which already has Quicktime ready for installation...
SiriusBlack Posted - 09 Feb 2004 : 12:39:45
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
Im just using the standard Windows Media player and have a SoundBlaster Live! card. If its more bearable with another media player then thatll be great

I know I had problems listening to it with Winamp. I had to mess with the equalizer settings to get anything that wasn't sounding like it was garbled voices coming out of the Big Clown Mouth at a drive-thru fast food place.

Big Clown Mouth: "This is Ed Greenwood. How are you doing?"

SB: "Not bad, give me a #2 combo and the new Waterdeep novel, hold the mayo."
Lord Rad Posted - 09 Feb 2004 : 11:56:47
quote:

That's not all that strange Rad, although in some cases these problems can be traced to the type of 'player' you are using to replay the 'chat'.

The Sage Posted - 09 Feb 2004 : 10:19:16

Lord Rad Posted - 09 Feb 2004 : 10:12:54
I found it quite difficult to listen to, had to turn the volume quite low due to the high-pitched sounds and voices Therefore I only got about 10 minutes worth before I needed a rest
The Sage Posted - 09 Feb 2004 : 10:02:54
I haven't had the opportunity to listen to (or download ) the chat yet...Just out of curiosity, how long does it go for...?

I'd heard at least 3 hours...
Bookwyrm Posted - 09 Feb 2004 : 04:47:39
Well, I just finished listening to it an hour ago. It was hard to do, though -- I'm sensitive to high sounds, such as sqealing brakes and sirens and scratchy phone connections with master sages. Still, I listened to the whole thing, even though I had to pause often to rest my ears.

The was one amusing moment though. My father is almost completely deaf in the same ranges that cause me pain, and so when he came in while Mr. Greenwood was talking, he gave me a strange look and asked if that was supposed to be an alien's voice or something.
SiriusBlack Posted - 07 Feb 2004 : 17:14:15
quote:
Originally posted by Herr Doktor

Ed said that if there were any more questions people wanted answers to that they could post them here on candlekeep and he'd send someone around to collect them for him.

Someone grab Elminster's pipe and threaten not to return it until Mr. Greenwood provides some details about the upcoming Waterdeep novel. August 2005 is too long to wait for City of Splendor fans.
SiriusBlack Posted - 07 Feb 2004 : 17:09:41
Adlon is a very sweet person and always courteous even if he did hang up on Ed Greenwood a few times before finally starting the interview.
Alaundo Posted - 07 Feb 2004 : 17:04:35
Well met

Thank ye for providing this information to the resident scribes, Adlon.

Indeed we shall be making this chat with Ed avaiable in the library soon. In the meantime, please see the original over at Mortality, as mentioned by Adlon.
Adlon Posted - 07 Feb 2004 : 14:02:51
Hail, and well met, all.

My name is Adlon, one of two hosts for the Mortality Radio Show.

I stopped by to introduce myself, and to answer a few possible questions.

As far as listening to the show live as it's happening, all one needs is Winamp for PC, or Audion for MAC. You type or paste the address of the server in the Open Location area, and hit ok. You should get the live feed within seconds in the states, to a minute in Europe, and where ever else we here in the states consider overseas.
Good results can USUALLY be obtained even on a 56 K dial up connection, though 'overseas' connections may suffer if on a 56K.

Now, to listen to the show after it's over, the archive, you have two options.

Option one is to download the entire MP3 to your computer. The Ed Greenwood show is about 32 MB in size. Quite chunky to some. But, once you have it on your system, you can listen to it as you wish, fast forwarding, pausing, and the like.

Option two: you can stream it off of our server. When you click on the archive link, you should get the opportunity to either SAVE, or Open. Choose Open, and your MP3 player should start up automatically.

As for show information, you can go to http://www.mortality.net/shoutcast.php

There is a large Mortality Radio graphic on the main Mortality.Net page, top center, which is also a link to the shoutcast page.

I'll work out details for a mirror download of the show with the webmaster of Candlekeep.

The show with Ed was a blast. Some of you may have come, an I thank you for doing so. Hopefully, you liked the show, and will continue to return.

.......Until Swords Part
Alaundo Posted - 07 Feb 2004 : 09:40:23
quote:
Originally posted by Herr Doktor

Ed said that if there were any more questions people wanted answers to that they could post them here on candlekeep and he'd send someone around to collect them for him.

Well met

Quick, someone fetch the finest bottle of Elverquist
Alaundo Posted - 07 Feb 2004 : 09:39:35
quote:
Originally posted by Naroon Shimmerflow

this might be a silly question, but will the be possible to downloade the MP3 version of the interview from Candlekeep? I kind of have a problem getting that radio station tuned in over here

Well met

We are currently in discussions with Mortality to acquire a copy of this interview to place within the library. I will keep thee all informed
Naroon Shimmerflow Posted - 07 Feb 2004 : 04:23:44
this might be a silly question, but will the be possible to downloade the MP3 version of the interview from Candlekeep? I kind of have a problem getting that radio station tuned in over here
Herr Doktor Posted - 07 Feb 2004 : 03:21:42
Bookwyrm Posted - 06 Feb 2004 : 16:50:53
Yes, I'm going to download or stream that interview (depends on my mood and time) when it comes on. 2000h EST isn't a time slot I'm allowed to use in my house.
The Sage Posted - 05 Feb 2004 : 09:20:26
quote:

It looks like we'll be able to download the radio show as an mp3. That's something, at least.

You will indeed Bookwyrm. In fact all of the 'chats' based at Mortality.net can be downloaded, just go to their website and have a browse through their interview catalogue.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000