Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite dragon magazine
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pluddon
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2013 :  23:35:33  Show Profile Send Pluddon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been browsing some of the dragon magazines and was wondering what you're favorite issues are and why.

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  04:19:03  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry I can't name specific issue numbers, but I always loved 'Bard on the Run' articles.

Edited by - Renin on 24 Sep 2013 16:19:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  05:02:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
159, for its Spelljammer lore, and 163, the first one I bought.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  07:05:41  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I have a favorite issues of Dragon magazine.

If we open up the discussion to include Dungeon, well then I'd have a few issues to pick from for a favorite.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  08:06:28  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The wizards three.

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  08:49:44  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have so many I like that for one article or another, it would take to long to name all of them. But issue #122 has a special place in my heart (the article on African monsters has actually led me to actively research African mythology). I've also heard that issues #176 and #270 (at least, I think it was those issues) have articles on the drow that I would be very interested in, but those are two of the ones I don't have.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  12:25:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
#228 - the one with Ed's Athalantar Campaign.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  12:38:18  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like #187 very much because of the animal tatics for 2e, and the deadlier dinosaurs article. But I also like one of the articles about the Green Elves of Faerûn, in a number that deals a lot with elves and half-elves. Oh, other magazines with those nice articles about prehistoric animals, from Cenozoic creatures to Pleistocene mammals... The down-to-Earth divinity article from Ed with the origins of the Realms pantheon... Some numbers with Elaine Cunningham fiction... Well, there is a lot of good stuff there!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  18:53:56  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Far too many to to narrow down to even a top 10 for me. My favorites almost always include articles written by Ed (from his early writings on the devils and the Nine Hells to his Realms specific materials to the Wizards Three articles...all of them were great). I also highly enjoyed the Voyage of the Princess Ark, any articles that took real world historic figures and applied game stats to them (like Charlemagne), and, of course, ANY article that featured new magic of any kind. And finally, the comics featuring the erstwhile heroes of the Knights of the Dinner Table (to this day, I have a good friend who calls me 'monkey boy' after reading a typically insulting comment directed at the Knight's DM).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  20:41:48  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
352 - cause of Bas-Lag

or 353 - has a lot of planar articles
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  23:07:20  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
172 and 176 for me. Seeing the sights in Skullport and If you need Help ask the Drow articles. I miss dragon :(

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  01:57:10  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
#260 for the Drake Steed article and the variant Dragons article (and all the other lovely dragon-related stuff), #267 for all the wonderful drow and Underdark stuff, and likewise #261 (the awesome shadow magic issue), #289 for its cool Oriental Adventures content, and #298- again for the great drow stuff. I'd also have to add #295 for the castle-building articles and #314 for all the elemental magic. I guess I have quite a few favorites, LOL!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  02:53:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has to be #277 as it contains a rather brilliant Bazaar of the Bizarre article.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  04:43:43  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
+1 to George. I literally drooled (that's gross, isn't it? Okay, almost literally) over the Soargar's Legacy article. It's still in the first couple of articles I would mention if someone were to ask me what I'd like to see more of in Dragon.

The Athalantar article Markus mentioned was awesome too. I still remember the excitement I felt when I first saw these two articles.

I also find it impossible to narrow it down to a single favorite issue, but if I were to pick a handful I'd go with the Dragon Annuals. There were 5, I think... at least I have five of them, and I wish very much that there were more.
Go to Top of Page

KacyCrawford
Acolyte

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  11:24:51  Show Profile Send KacyCrawford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite issue of Dragon magazine has always been #137. From Keith Parkinson’s fantastic cover through a hundred pages of nostalgic ads and varied articles to Snarf Quest at the end, I’ve enjoyed and continue to enjoy this issue from my collection.
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  15:24:42  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
#353 For selfish reasons. It was the issue that had the first article I wrote (Ecology of the Keepers) for Dragon. I had a piece in 351, but technically I wrote and submitted the Keeper piece first, it just was pushed back on the schedule.

#339 I thought was pretty awesome for its article on the Incantifers and other 'dead' Factions.

#354 had the greatest cover of all time with the April Fools 'What? Us Worry?' Modron. :D

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  16:06:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't just name a particular favourite issue of DRAGON off-hand. I'd really need to sit down and work out which issue I thought brought the most to my games and/or creative insight for my campaigns.

That could take quite a while.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  17:15:34  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm, it's really too hard for me to narrow it down to just one singular dragon issue. I can name the top few that I know I've used on more than one occasion. Dragon 403 gave rules for 0-level 4E characters and the corresponding Dungeon magazine had a fun adventure for them to run though. I also really enjoy the recent Dragon 425 for their 4E Unearthed Arcane: Combat Options. Here they provide things like Fumble and Injury rules as well as alternate rules for things like Disarm, Sunder, Trip and unique ways to use Action Points. I also really enjoyed the Eye of Justice articles (can't remember which Dragon article they were in though).

Edited by - Diffan on 25 Sep 2013 17:20:34
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000