Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite dragon magazine

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pluddon Posted - 23 Sep 2013 : 23:35:33
I have been browsing some of the dragon magazines and was wondering what you're favorite issues are and why.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Diffan Posted - 25 Sep 2013 : 17:15:34
Hm, it's really too hard for me to narrow it down to just one singular dragon issue. I can name the top few that I know I've used on more than one occasion. Dragon 403 gave rules for 0-level 4E characters and the corresponding Dungeon magazine had a fun adventure for them to run though. I also really enjoy the recent Dragon 425 for their 4E Unearthed Arcane: Combat Options. Here they provide things like Fumble and Injury rules as well as alternate rules for things like Disarm, Sunder, Trip and unique ways to use Action Points. I also really enjoyed the Eye of Justice articles (can't remember which Dragon article they were in though).
The Sage Posted - 25 Sep 2013 : 16:06:33
I couldn't just name a particular favourite issue of DRAGON off-hand. I'd really need to sit down and work out which issue I thought brought the most to my games and/or creative insight for my campaigns.

That could take quite a while.
Shemmy Posted - 25 Sep 2013 : 15:24:42
#353 For selfish reasons. It was the issue that had the first article I wrote (Ecology of the Keepers) for Dragon. I had a piece in 351, but technically I wrote and submitted the Keeper piece first, it just was pushed back on the schedule.

#339 I thought was pretty awesome for its article on the Incantifers and other 'dead' Factions.

#354 had the greatest cover of all time with the April Fools 'What? Us Worry?' Modron. :D
KacyCrawford Posted - 25 Sep 2013 : 11:24:51
My favorite issue of Dragon magazine has always been #137. From Keith Parkinson’s fantastic cover through a hundred pages of nostalgic ads and varied articles to Snarf Quest at the end, I’ve enjoyed and continue to enjoy this issue from my collection.
xaeyruudh Posted - 25 Sep 2013 : 04:43:43
+1 to George. I literally drooled (that's gross, isn't it? Okay, almost literally) over the Soargar's Legacy article. It's still in the first couple of articles I would mention if someone were to ask me what I'd like to see more of in Dragon.

The Athalantar article Markus mentioned was awesome too. I still remember the excitement I felt when I first saw these two articles.

I also find it impossible to narrow it down to a single favorite issue, but if I were to pick a handful I'd go with the Dragon Annuals. There were 5, I think... at least I have five of them, and I wish very much that there were more.
George Krashos Posted - 25 Sep 2013 : 02:53:42
Has to be #277 as it contains a rather brilliant Bazaar of the Bizarre article.

-- George Krashos
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 25 Sep 2013 : 01:57:10
#260 for the Drake Steed article and the variant Dragons article (and all the other lovely dragon-related stuff), #267 for all the wonderful drow and Underdark stuff, and likewise #261 (the awesome shadow magic issue), #289 for its cool Oriental Adventures content, and #298- again for the great drow stuff. I'd also have to add #295 for the castle-building articles and #314 for all the elemental magic. I guess I have quite a few favorites, LOL!
Tamsar Posted - 24 Sep 2013 : 23:07:20
172 and 176 for me. Seeing the sights in Skullport and If you need Help ask the Drow articles. I miss dragon :(
Quale Posted - 24 Sep 2013 : 20:41:48
352 - cause of Bas-Lag

or 353 - has a lot of planar articles
The Arcanamach Posted - 24 Sep 2013 : 18:53:56
Far too many to to narrow down to even a top 10 for me. My favorites almost always include articles written by Ed (from his early writings on the devils and the Nine Hells to his Realms specific materials to the Wizards Three articles...all of them were great). I also highly enjoyed the Voyage of the Princess Ark, any articles that took real world historic figures and applied game stats to them (like Charlemagne), and, of course, ANY article that featured new magic of any kind. And finally, the comics featuring the erstwhile heroes of the Knights of the Dinner Table (to this day, I have a good friend who calls me 'monkey boy' after reading a typically insulting comment directed at the Knight's DM).
Barastir Posted - 24 Sep 2013 : 12:38:18
I like #187 very much because of the animal tatics for 2e, and the deadlier dinosaurs article. But I also like one of the articles about the Green Elves of Faerûn, in a number that deals a lot with elves and half-elves. Oh, other magazines with those nice articles about prehistoric animals, from Cenozoic creatures to Pleistocene mammals... The down-to-Earth divinity article from Ed with the origins of the Realms pantheon... Some numbers with Elaine Cunningham fiction... Well, there is a lot of good stuff there!
Markustay Posted - 24 Sep 2013 : 12:25:47
#228 - the one with Ed's Athalantar Campaign.
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 24 Sep 2013 : 08:49:44
I have so many I like that for one article or another, it would take to long to name all of them. But issue #122 has a special place in my heart (the article on African monsters has actually led me to actively research African mythology). I've also heard that issues #176 and #270 (at least, I think it was those issues) have articles on the drow that I would be very interested in, but those are two of the ones I don't have.
jerrod Posted - 24 Sep 2013 : 08:06:28
The wizards three.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 24 Sep 2013 : 07:05:41
I don't think I have a favorite issues of Dragon magazine.

If we open up the discussion to include Dungeon, well then I'd have a few issues to pick from for a favorite.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Sep 2013 : 05:02:25
159, for its Spelljammer lore, and 163, the first one I bought.
Renin Posted - 24 Sep 2013 : 04:19:03
Sorry I can't name specific issue numbers, but I always loved 'Bard on the Run' articles.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000