Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Possible spoilers for "Murder in Baldur's Gate"?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  04:18:30  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She has not made anything since 2005 , and recently got a kickstarer funded for her own personal book. I think she is done playing in other peoples sandboxes, and is off to make her own now :)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  04:34:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

She has not made anything since 2005 , and recently got a kickstarer funded for her own personal book. I think she is done playing in other peoples sandboxes, and is off to make her own now :)

Maybe.

Or it could just mean that Elaine's waiting for the right opportunity to get back into writing Realms fiction for Wizards. Alternatively, she may just have too much going on elsewhere.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  06:50:20  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minor quibble: Abdel is 3rd level, not 2nd as he has 3 Hit Die. If he's involved as an antagonist for the PCs, he's treated as a 2nd level encounter for XP purposes and determing strength vs. the party. He also is only using a gauntlet, which is pretty sub-standard for a warrior IMO.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  15:24:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Interesting, he lost five levels compared to his 2e stats than where he was 7th level. Huh. Still, after 100 years you'd think he would be dead or something, or they could have used someone else.

Ahh, time to do some speculation that would make a priestess of Leira proud.

First speculation: It isn’t him. (Imposter?! Shapeshifter??!! Or direct blood descendent?!!!)
Second speculation: It is him. True he decided not to become a god but he still does have the blood of a god running through his veins. This gave him the gift of an unnatural long life.
Third speculation: He chose not to become a god but Bhaal still Chose him.
Fourth speculation: Spellplague…a give everyone a minute to chuckle….seriously, Blue Fire swept through him and triggered something in his blood.

As for the level reduction, it could perhaps be a simple typo missed by the proof reader. The same way the proofer missed ‘Shadowdale’ being spelled as ‘Shadowdell’

Or maybe it isn’t a typo at all. A lot can happen to a being within a hundred year time span.

He could be level drained by undead or spells, etc... and it stuck.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  18:11:49  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine (and her signature characters) would certainly be welcomed back by Realms fans should she ever decide to return, so we can only hope she might someday consider it.

I know Troy Denning has his detractors for what he is perceived to have done regarding Cyric and the ToT, but you can't 'blame' him for a decision that came not from him, but from the whole 2E design team. Personally, I find Cyric amusing/entertaining (and a lot less two dimensional than Bane), but regardless of what you may think of Cyric, let's try not to forget that Troy brought us a host of other Realms characters and wrote a bunch of good novels (14 by last count). Bringing him back for the 5E transition was an excellent choice in my view. (He is also about the nicest, least pretentious guy a Realms fan could hope to meet, alongside Ed of course).

Honestly, I think WoTC did a pretty good job with the crew of Sundering authors they put together. It is a good mix of classic and modern 1E, 2E, 3E and 4E writers - I look forward to what they've got on tap for us all. I hadn't been happy with pretty much ANYTHING WoTC did since 2008, but I'm pleased to see what they've been doing since 2012.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  18:51:18  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow... okay, I really regret putting Elaine's name in this, because it seems to have invited some weird negative speculation about her. But I like Elaine's work a great deal and I even check her author page from time to time to see what she's working on.

It's absolutely not true that she's "done nothing" since 2005. She's been involved in a number of writing and personal projects over the past few years and is incredibly busy. Very recently, she wrote "The Winter Witch" novel for Pathfinder, which was excellent! It's also not fair to suggest that she is disinterested in the Realms, as she has said herself that it really is more about having the right idea at the right time, and also able to fit in with what WotC is working on.

Additionally, my comment about Troy Denning was NOT meant to suggest that I wanted him replaced, but more that I personally dislike the Cyric character and just want to see Cyric go forever into the mists. If Denning has been chosen to write Cyric out of the picture, I'll be thrilled. It's true that I wasn't fond of the events that happened in the Time of Troubles and didn't really care for the subsequent rise of Cyric and focus on him in Realms fiction, but that's not a commentary on the author himself. It's really not. I quite enjoyed his novels about the rise of Shade/Netheril, but likewise wasn't thrilled about Netheril's takeover of Sembia. Similarly, I love Lisa Smedman's work and really enjoyed the Lady Penitent novels, but wasn't thrilled about the impact on the Realms.

Personally, for the Sundering, I would've liked to have seen Elaine write a new Liriel Baenre novel and have it star in the Sundering lineup. Rather than have a wholly new character (such as Byers' protagonist in the Reaver novel), it would have been immensely cool to have seen Liriel in the "new age" and learn how she dealt with the loss of Mystra and how she would be involved in the Sundering events. (And let me take a moment here to say I have nothing really against Byers either, I'd just rather get an update on Liriel Baenre rather than invest in a totally new character).

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  20:07:32  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

the only exciting thing I think there is about Kelemvor is the Gothic Paladins he spawned. I have had quite a few Kelemvor Paladins in my campaign. 3 total at different times. He seems to be a popular choice.
I've gotten a lot out of Kelemvor on the DM/creative side of things, like creating Holy Hosts of Kelemvor that scour whole cities of undead, but I do agree: Doombringers, paladins and undead slayers in general are all pretty easy to bring into the Realms with Kelemvor around.

Since WotC likes to do some deities in threes, should there be a Court of the Dead? I'd prefer Kelemvor at the center since he seems more balanced, with Myrkul to his left and Bhaal to the right.

If the Court of the Dead were expanded, Mask can play court Jester and Jergal can be court Sage.

That's a piece of artwork I wouldn't mind seeing.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 07 Aug 2013 20:08:18
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  20:25:50  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am against this Court of the Dead idea. I rather see Myrkul wage war with Kelemvor before sitting in a "court" with him (Cynosure is the exception).

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  21:49:54  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Troy wasn't the one responsible for Netheril taking over Sembia, Paul S Kemp was.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  22:00:06  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Troy wasn't the one responsible for Netheril taking over Sembia, Paul S Kemp was.

Yeesh. I did not say that.

Neither Troy Denning nor Paul Kemp were "responsible" for Netheril taking over Sembia. Authors are given outlines by the Realms developers, and must often write their stories around specific plot points.

Denning's novels set the stage for what happened in Kemp's novels.

The POINT that I was trying to make: Realms novel readers need to learn how to separate the author from the setting/plot requirements handed down from the head office.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 07 Aug 2013 22:04:57
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  23:21:08  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Therise,

Okay, didn't mean to misread you there. I couldn't agree with you more on your general point (and I too would have loved to see a Liriel Baenre novel - maybe one dealing somehow with a restoration of Eilistaree - as part of the Sundering series!).

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  03:09:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

... Jergal can be court Sage.
Which really isn't all that much of a stretch from the somewhat ambiguous nature of Jergal's place in the Realms pantheon now.

It's a good fit.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  04:17:14  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Which really isn't all that much of a stretch from the somewhat ambiguous nature of Jergal's place in the Realms pantheon now.

It's a good fit.

Didn't the artwork in the 2E Realms deity books portray deities together in little groups, based on their alignments or similar?

Even if the Sundering doesn't officially re-align the deities in the manner I'd prefer, I'd still like to see those deities together in one portrait.

Art for art's sake, and all that.

But this is a scroll about Murder in Baldur's Gate spoilers, so I now return you to your regularly scheduled scroll topic.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  04:45:22  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall one of the 2E deity books (want to say Powers and Pantheons) had portraits of a "typical" priest dressed in the full regalia of their church for many of the deities, even the more obscure ones. That was very lovely to see priests in their ceremonial garb. Some of it could double as typical adventuring outfits for the more martially oriented deities.

Faiths and Pantheons had the deities appearing roughly by pantheon or relative power, or obscurity really, since the greater powers mostly had solo portraits.

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 08 Aug 2013 04:55:58
Go to Top of Page

Calmar
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  23:35:16  Show Profile Send Calmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 3.5 terms, Abdel Adrian is a 4th-level fighter: http://media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/MinBG_Statistics.pdf

At first I was very sceptical myself, but think about it:
they ditch that 4E stuff and continue where they should have continued 5 years ago.
'Abdel Adrian' doesn't necessarily have to mean he's the actual guy from the unpopular novel; maybe WotC is using the term as a synonym for what BG players call CHARNAME.
Also, since Ed Greenwood was involved in the Baldur's Gate PC games (he at least wrote some stuff for teh manuals, IIRC) I trust him to do better than the author of that infamous novelisation.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  01:17:02  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My pet theory:

I believe it -is- the same character from the novel. He chose mortality in the novel, and afterwards probably decided to disappear into some level of obscurity so he wouldn't be followed or attacked. After the Spellplague happened, he may have been one of the few who felt that he could act to help others. He flipped his first and last name around (or it's just a misprint), and rose to power in Baldur's Gate as it grew into what it is now. Note that it says "his past has caught up to him" in some way, and You-Know-Who is making a grand re-appearance with lots of murders happening in the city.

He probably still has lingering abilities (extremely slow aging, regeneration), because of his genetic inheritance. Since he was born that way as a mortal, there's no reason he should've lost them even if he did reject his, uhm... throne.

It's probably just intended as a little bit of nostalgic fan service. Perhaps when they made the decision to include him here, no one on the current staff remembered how poorly he was received by fans (or how terrible those novels are). It's pretty derpy to include a hated character from the past, but I can live with it.

Edited by - Therise on 10 Aug 2013 01:24:03
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  04:26:42  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I received Murder in Baldur's Gate Today, since I run it for the game store.

REALLY REALLY Nice layout and production. It is in line with Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms, though of course not hardcover and only 64 pages for the source material and 32 for the adventure.

And oh my god the DM's screen. Absolutely beautiful and absolutely brilliant with USEFUL tables like: RANDOM NPC NAMES! It took you 40 years to figure out that was good for a DM"S screen!

Random Place names. Keyed map locations ON the DM's Screen.

It is also well written.

It IS systems neutral so it is important to download monster stats from the website or it says make your own. When I see my encounters group this week I am going to ask them if they want it 3.5 D&D or Next.

As for the story: Well it is awesome. And I will not be a jerk.

BUT this will only effect Baldur's Gate Write up, not the larger realms.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  04:29:43  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

An entire novel focusing on Cyric and/or his Chosen agent is also a rather poor decision, I think. Too many people dislike Cyric as a concept and character. Of course, if they get Denning to write the story of Cyric's complete fall and loss of godhood, that would be appropriate in my book. I really don't want to see Cyric take on any new role, similar to Tharizdun or as a Loki-like deity that wants to destroy all the gods. I just want him gone, totally out of the picture.

Personally, I would've had Rich Baker contracted to do one of the novels, or Elaine Cunningham.

I lost faith in Rich Baker after he allowed the spell plague to occur.

RA SAlvatore told me at a book signing (Clifton NJ) that he personally insisted that Troy Denning had to be involved in the sundering.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  04:37:12  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did Rich Baker "allow" the Spellplague to occur? Wasn't he just contracted by WotC to do the book?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  04:42:50  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

How did Rich Baker "allow" the Spellplague to occur? Wasn't he just contracted by WotC to do the book?

I was involved in his thread about the realms development. He did not write anything in the book but he was a major director. He towed the "there is too much lore, the realms is too hard" line for my liking. That thread still exists but it is difficult to find.

Keep in mind I love his Alternity supplements and the work he did on that, as well as most of the FR supplements and books he wrote. I am just disappointed he jumped on the "Lore is hard" bandwagon.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  05:33:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a new edition coming out. I think we can stop complaining and assigning blame for what we didn't like about prior editions.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  05:55:46  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mod Fail!
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  06:35:23  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Learned Scribe

Mod Fail!

Learned Scribe Fail!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  06:37:00  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Learned Scribe

Mod Fail!
No, not at all. Wooly has the right of it: it's time to move on.

For what it's worth I'd like to see Rich Baker involved somehow in the Realms that's on the horizon. He's worked on the Realms for years already, so I'm sure he's ready to take a break, but if somewhere down the line he penned a new Realms adventure or helped on a sourcebook, I'd buy it sight unseen.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  07:11:53  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

REALLY REALLY Nice layout and production. It is in line with Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms, though of course not hardcover and only 64 pages for the source material and 32 for the adventure.

And oh my god the DM's screen. Absolutely beautiful and absolutely brilliant with USEFUL tables like: RANDOM NPC NAMES! It took you 40 years to figure out that was good for a DM"S screen!

Random Place names. Keyed map locations ON the DM's Screen.

It is also well written.

It IS systems neutral so it is important to download monster stats from the website or it says make your own. When I see my encounters group this week I am going to ask them if they want it 3.5 D&D or Next.

As for the story: Well it is awesome. And I will not be a jerk.

BUT this will only effect Baldur's Gate Write up, not the larger realms.

Sold.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  08:34:34  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mournblade, since you're running it, I have questions for you!

Nothing spoilery, I promise.

1. When you buy the "Murder in Baldur's Gate" set, does it include pre-gen characters?

2. Is there an extra packet for the D&D Encounters sessions related to this, or is everything you need in the set? (In other words, I know that packets are often handed out for prior Encounters seasons... is there a packet for this as well?)

quote:

Honestly, I think Perkins and Cordell had more to do with the shake up than anyone else, but at the same time I doubt we'll ever know for sure who is responsible for what. I suspect the spellplague was a result of group-think.

quote:
RA SAlvatore told me at a book signing (Clifton NJ) that he personally insisted that Troy Denning had to be involved in the sundering.

I don't mind Troy Denning as a writer, I just want to see Cyric get the chop. I'm rather intrigued by this new Isteval character, who is also a creation of Denning IIRC.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  07:16:40  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:

Mournblade, since you're running it, I have questions for you!

Nothing spoilery, I promise.

1. When you buy the "Murder in Baldur's Gate" set, does it include pre-gen characters?

2. Is there an extra packet for the D&D Encounters sessions related to this, or is everything you need in the set? (In other words, I know that packets are often handed out for prior Encounters seasons... is there a packet for this as well?)

quote:

Honestly, I think Perkins and Cordell had more to do with the shake up than anyone else, but at the same time I doubt we'll ever know for sure who is responsible for what. I suspect the spellplague was a result of group-think.

quote:

I don't mind Troy Denning as a writer, I just want to see Cyric get the chop. I'm rather intrigued by this new Isteval character, who is also a creation of Denning IIRC.

Too answer your questions:

1) There are no pregens.
2) Well there is a web supplement you're supposed to use because the statistics for monsters and such are not in the set. Reason being you can run it as 3.5 or next. I have only found the next statistics on line, because I plan to run it as next.

So all of the events are included and what encounters occurs where, but they are very much leaving encounter building slightly up to the DM. Example in one part where you are trying to find kidnappers, it tells you what the kidnappers are and then those stats are in the web supplement.

I am not sure how much Chris Perkins has to do with the Realm changeover to 4e because he has openly admited he does not follow the realms. That may be an explanation why it turned out so horrible.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  07:18:03  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah and therise this is the only spoiler I will give.

Highlight to read:

It is THAT Abdel Adrian, and he has an important role to play.

Edited by - Mournblade on 11 Aug 2013 07:19:47
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  04:46:50  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also an explanation to what I hid above is given. It makes sense.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  04:55:48  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answers! If that character is done well, it could work out very well, story-wise. I'm excited to see it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000