Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Spoiler Alert Mechanus is back
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  02:26:28  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
this is all a lie

So it seems that the sundering, is going to have some issues coming up, dealing with the various rule breaking and reality shaking that has been happening by the gods.

It seems Primus is coming back to set things right, and well be the main force behind the Sundering, as a intruder god in faerun.

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  03:36:33  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not amused.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  07:18:53  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why waste our time with non-sense. We have enough real changes to deal with.(frowns)

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  12:55:30  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This would actually be cool...

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  14:05:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I HATE giant robots.

I never even liked the Sentinels.

Now, if you said the Vedic pantheon has flexed their muscles and are taking back Nirvana (renamed Mechanus by the Modron Hive-mind), then we could talk.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  16:10:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a problem with the return of a 2E plane, particularly if we get the rest of the planar structure back... I'm a little unclear, though, on why Primus would be interested in some backwater Prime.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  16:25:42  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I HATE giant robots.

I never even liked the Sentinels.

Now, if you said the Vedic pantheon has flexed their muscles and are taking back Nirvana (renamed Mechanus by the Modron Hive-mind), then we could talk.

Well that sounds like a good idea to me.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  22:06:56  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Methinks some folks need to highlight the area just above the OP's first sentence where he says this is all a lie...again I'm not amused even if it is a good idea (I liked Primus from the original write-up).

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  22:36:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh. I never realized Primus/Mechanus was officially gone.

Well, cool to have ‘em back I suppose. I‘d always viewed modrons more as hivemind insect-construct things than robots, personally, although I do admit that base modrons are rather silly creatures.

I am a little surprised to discover they‘re so unpopular. True, robots don‘t really fit the general theme of D&D fantasy ... but still, I don‘t see them being entirely out of place in 1) a game which already includes constructs, warforged, and innumerable improbable/ridiculous monsters, and 2) an outer plane which embodies ultimate Law, Order, and Structure in a nearly-infinite cosmos.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  22:42:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Methinks some folks need to highlight the area just above the OP's first sentence where he says this is all a lie...again I'm not amused even if it is a good idea (I liked Primus from the original write-up).

There really should have been some indication that there was more to the original post. I'm not cool with starting a discussion like this with a disclaimer hidden at the beginning.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  23:28:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

There really should have been some indication that there was more to the original post. I'm not cool with starting a discussion like this with a disclaimer hidden at the beginning.

Well I have already expressed concern about the OP, posting just because poster can post. Not sure if I can find violation of code of conduct, that I leave for the moderation team to decide.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  23:57:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must agree with Wooly ... Primus is far too much of a cosmos-spanning uber-Power to concern himself with a single insignifant Prime like Toril (no matter how self-important the parochial locals might think themselves). Unless, perhaps, this is only one battlefield in a multi-pronged assertion of Law being simultaneously waged across many multiple worlds.

I can‘t say I‘d be pleased with having Cormyr included in the Great Modron March, old Vangy would be apoplectic over the impossibility of policing (or taxing!) such an inexorable movement. And Primus would never do such a thing, I suspect, without needing to counter a massive world-violating infusion of extraplanar Chaos. As amusing as it may be to imagine Szass Tam battle hordes of slobbering slaadi for dominance of Thay, I must agree that this misleading “joke post“ seems to really be trolling off the edge of civility. I‘m all for planar speculations, but quite disinterested in bash-topics.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 19 Oct 2013 00:04:40
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  01:50:34  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some people just have a sense of humor. I've learned to view silverwolfer's posts with a grain of salt and it's all part and parcel of the "personality" of this forum space.

Which is to say, is it really trolling if somebody reveals that we're all, at least sometimes, a little too serious? As well that not everyone bothers (myself included) to read through even a one page scroll before posting in response to the subject line?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  02:05:38  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Which is to say, is it really trolling if somebody reveals that we're all, at least sometimes, a little too serious?

Yes

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  02:25:18  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well tough, sorry you wasted your precious time lol.

*Goes back to reading godborn *

*gazes back up* You take things to seriously, you obviously have spare free time to come to a forum, so stop being angry over reading a post, that was not in your humor taste, it did you no harm .

Edited by - silverwolfer on 19 Oct 2013 02:34:38
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  02:48:30  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
is it really trolling if somebody reveals that we're all, at least sometimes, a little too serious?

Depends on the circumstances, but given that this has happened a few times in the past it gets a bit...old. I'm all for a sense of humor, but to cause folks to jump into a thread thinking they are about to gain new and interesting information just to find that it's a 'lie' is a bit aggravating. I don't consider it a waste of time (only took about 5 minutes out of my day after all) it's just pointless.

I actually like Primus, his modrons, and Mechanus in general. So clicking on this thread I thought new 'secrets' were being revealed to us all...only to find that we were punked. And yes, it is funny to a degree. But it is also 'old' in that the OP has done this before, more than once. In the end it's no big deal.

quote:
As well that not everyone bothers (myself included) to read through even a one page scroll before posting in response to the subject line?

Not sure how this applies to the subject at hand but I do agree that we should all try to read through a thread before posting. Barring that, at least state up front that you haven't read everything beforehand when providing information and opinions.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 19 Oct 2013 02:49:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  04:00:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I must agree with Wooly ... Primus is far too much of a cosmos-spanning uber-Power to concern himself with a single insignifant Prime like Toril (no matter how self-important the parochial locals might think themselves). Unless, perhaps, this is only one battlefield in a multi-pronged assertion of Law being simultaneously waged across many multiple worlds.
Well, the 2e Planes of Law notes that Primus tends to concern himself with the goings-on across the infinite planes. Perhaps it could be suggested that the Sundering -- and subsequent re-arranging of the Realms celestial framework -- has piqued the interest of Primus, and, as a result, he has decided to focus on its outcome for a time.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Oct 2013 04:01:53
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  06:26:49  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's the Center of All of principle, no place is insignificant, unless it's insignificant to Primus.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  11:48:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - I thought you guys were talking about Transformers. I didn't even know D&D had a Primus (I just Wiki'd it). My Planes of Law - along with several other PS products - remained shrink-wrapped until the day I lost it all.

Unless that was the intent - by connecting D&D Primus with Robot Primus we get Mechanus back... but I had never knew we lost it. Did the plane Mechanus still exist in 4e?

I'm so confused at this point.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  13:53:40  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since the Spellplague rearrenged the entire D&D comsology i would say that ALL planar powers are interested in the goings on of this backwater rock floating in Realmspace. Wheter they had an interest before or not, the fact that the death of some raven haired chick ascended to godhood caused the elemental planes to fuse together is pretty much the biggest planar upheaval ever happened in the whole D&D universe.

If i remember correctly (and it's a fair chance i'm not), past cosmology changes weren't really changes but "oh no it's always been like this, you just didn't realize it until now", with the Spellplauge the official, canonical explanation is "Mystra's death --> Spellplague --> planes go bonkers".

Anyway, even if i wasn't caught off guard by silverwolfer's post (the spoiler tag and the big empty space at the start of the post looked suspicious) i agree that maybe next time it's better to plainly state it's a joke thread or a "What if?" thread so every scribe of this halls knows what to expect inside.

Now ... where did i put my torch and pitchfork ...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  14:47:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think of FR as some sort of 'cosmic anchor', that - perhaps along with Krynn and Greyhawk - forms a 'central system' around which the rest of the multiverse rotates.

Thus, like 'ripples in a pond', everything that happens there effects everything, everywhere else.

There may be other worlds that are part of this 'bright center of the universe' - in a 4-dimensional model, maybe Earth is that fourth planet. Since Spelljammers are more of a 'physical' lot, they only count the three worlds recognizable in Prime Space (because those 3 worlds - Toril, Krynn, and Oerth - are considered the ONLY static points in a fairly random universe - thats SJ canon).

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Oct 2013 14:48:57
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2013 :  02:48:34  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

If i remember correctly (and it's a fair chance i'm not), past cosmology changes weren't really changes but "oh no it's always been like this, you just didn't realize it until now", with the Spellplauge the official, canonical explanation is "Mystra's death --> Spellplague --> planes go bonkers".

The Realms was nominally in its own cosmology as of 3e (but with canonical connections to the Great Wheel), and the Spellplague thus wouldn't have any effect whatsoever on the wider D&D cosmos of the Wheel (and it wouldn't make any sense to have them do so). Of course 4e FR heavily used the PoL cosmology and various concepts from them which have some horrible continuity conflicts, so it's kind of a mess at this point.

But in any event, the Great Wheel shouldn't be affected whatever the local situation on Toril happens to be, or whatever sages there think or don't think the actual structure of the planes is like, or the names and natures of various outsiders. :)

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2013 :  01:42:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

LOL - I thought you guys were talking about Transformers. I didn't even know D&D had a Primus (I just Wiki'd it). My Planes of Law - along with several other PS products - remained shrink-wrapped until the day I lost it all.

Unless that was the intent - by connecting D&D Primus with Robot Primus we get Mechanus back... but I had never knew we lost it. Did the plane Mechanus still exist in 4e?

I'm so confused at this point.

Kiaransalee slew Orcus. Orcus came back as an undead god named Tenebrous. Tenebrous slew Primus and assumed his Alias and sent the Modrons on a march in hopes of finding the wand of Orcus in an attempt to revitalize himself. All this back in 2e.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000