Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 "The Companions"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  23:15:38  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Received my copy in the mail yesterday. :) That's the last two RAS books a week before release day for me. So lucky....now if only I wasn't so busy with work and life I could actually read it :(

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  17:13:17  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just received th book as well. There is a map o faerun, but it's clearly 4e Faerun. Hmm...
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  18:34:33  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With regard to the map, remember that Bob's novel is the first book in the sequence, and the cartography shows the Realms at the moment the Sundering is about to being. Just sayin'.
Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  18:41:41  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the release date of the book is 6th August. I was really surprised it was delivered to me so soon... especially that I live outside US - in Poland. I generally get the books on the release date or one day before/after.

Thanks for the info Richard. ;)
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  22:23:05  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm 100 pages in and it really is one of the best written and enjoyable books that RAS has written so far. I've enjoyed every Drizzt book, but admit things were feeling a bit stagnant for a while there, but this one is breathing new life into the series.

I suspect we will see the maps progressively change as the Sundering continues through each book. That would be cool.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  22:23:57  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm 100 pages in and it really is one of the best written and enjoyable books that RAS has written so far. I've enjoyed every Drizzt book, but admit things were feeling a bit stagnant for a while there, but this one is breathing new life into the series.

I suspect we will see the maps progressively change as the Sundering continues through each book. That would be cool.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  15:25:34  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm only on chapter 8 but it really is the best he's written, but also very different, neat, but different.
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  19:48:09  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What year does the book occur in?

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  21:31:44  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well its the year of 1484 DR, but an aweful lot of it is placed before that.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  22:25:03  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILER ALERT:SPOILER ALERT BELOW.

Okay I'm surprised that Drizzt barely even appears in the book at all, which for a Drizzt novel is unheard of. Seriously its mostly about Cattie, Bruenor, and Regis and thier new lives which actually makes them way more interesting characters as they have to deal with these two competing lives, thier first one and the second.

Also for a book about the Sundering it seemed to play a very small part of the novel as most of the story takes place before the Sundering, the Sundering is almost an after thought in this novel, which was the one thing that I was disappointed about, as I was hoping for greater, details on Sundering.

The things we gleaned are mostly what we already know. Its affecting the planes including the Shadowfell, dead gods are stirring, Netheril is interested in these new Chosen, Abier and Toril are divorcing, and the weave is back. That seems to be it in regards to the Sundering.

Still great novel and the characters seem to have greater depth and one of Drizzts few jobs in the story is his monologues which seem to have interesting social commentary.

And for those who hate emo I didn't see any.

I really loved the Coven of Avelyere, it shows not everyone in Shade is a pure villian.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  21:15:07  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got mine today from Bob's esigning..

I was right, I was right, I was right! :)

Side note, the book really needed a timeline inside it, not a map. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 05 Aug 2013 21:15:51
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  22:13:12  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got mine as well! Hope it is as good as you guys say it is! I love the map even if it is the 4e map rather than the 5e map, I think that will come!
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  22:39:32  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right about what SirUrza? I dont mind spoilers. My ebook comes tonight. So I will still read it
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  00:16:33  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

Right about what SirUrza? I dont mind spoilers. My ebook comes tonight. So I will still read it

I'd rather not spoil it. :)

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  00:39:27  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Write it in Beige and put a spoiler warning, then

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  03:43:25  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

I'd rather not spoil it. :)

Fair enough. :-)
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  04:05:46  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fine fine, but I'm going to make you work for it.

Do a search for "bitter sweet" and you might find out what I was right about. Granted I don't know how right I was, but we'll find out soon enough.

Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  04:13:22  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do a search for "bitter sweet" and you might find out what I was right about. Granted I don't know how right I was, but we'll find out soon enough.

Here on the site or internet?
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  04:17:18  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elsenrail

I have just received th book as well. There is a map o faerun, but it's clearly 4e Faerun. Hmm...

Halruaa was not in 4e I thought?

My copy from the esigning arrived today. I read through the prologue (LOL, I was told to..hehe). I do not have a lot of free time this week, and that is killing me.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  04:19:12  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Here on the site or internet?

Hehe, I should make you use google to search for it. I'm sure google indexed it by now, but you can search here. It's a post I created a year ago. ;)

Edited by - SirUrza on 06 Aug 2013 04:32:46
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  04:42:58  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NO MIDNIGHT RELEASE HERE!!!!

Grrr.

Have to wait until Tomorrow.

I am just going to go read some Grand History because I can't take it!!!!!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  09:37:33  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok. Just finished reading it. Excellent. Though there is something at the end...or someone I dont fully trust is who they say they are.

Minor spoiler here. Already mentioned above I think. The Sundering is just beginning. I would probably look at the other books for more in depth knowledge of it.
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  15:59:32  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Minor spoiler here. Already mentioned above I think. The Sundering is just beginning. I would probably look at the other books for more in depth knowledge of it.

This was always my assumption. The Companions is just the beginning and we'll learn more as future books come out. I think the last book of the series, The Herald we'll see the results of the events that builds up over the first six books.

Going out here in a little bit to buy my copy of The Companions.

Mod edit: Fixed the coding; there was a stray open italics tag.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Aug 2013 17:27:28
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  19:03:08  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started reading the book yesterday and am fighting the urge to peak at the back. :) But I love it so far and the idea of what is going on and why makes me both laugh and have "the feels". My poor husband had to take the book from me last night so I would sleep. And I kept yelling things out to him that made me laugh, giddy, or touched. :D
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  20:50:45  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Potential Spoiler....

I'm now just over 80 pages into the book and now the ending to The Last Threshold is beginning to make sense to me. Still have a ways to go to confirm my suspicion, but I have the next two days off.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  21:12:40  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got my copy this morning; the map on the inside cover is really really nice. Better than anything I've seen in the Realms novels to date.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  22:10:04  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somebody PLEASE PM me, and tell me who the villain is. I hear that there's a mysterious villain who appears near the end, and the suspense is killing me!!! I won't be able to get the book until Saturday, at the earliest. Is it Lolth? Or maybe some vengeful Netherese? Or vengeful Thayans?
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  06:15:06  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must confes that RAS was growing to be stale for me, but WOW! Thats what i felt when i read the book (finished it in one sitting). There are many times when people state that this or that novel is the best of some writer. This time i think it is actually the case. In my mind only Crystal Shard, Streams of Silver and Halflings Gem are comparable to this fantastic book. Story was so well done and very enjoyable indeed.

One thing was it was written really differently compared to other of RAS books. It actually felt like somebody elses writing (not in a bad way). Battlescenes were typical RAS, but there was not so many battlescenes than there has been in the past. Majority of book was focused on plots. (There was plenty of them to be followed). Im really much looking forward for the next RAS book!
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  14:32:02  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought the ebook version, what map?
The best scene for me so far, a certain baby gets a full view of his food source which occurred at the same moment my newborn decided it was time to eat.

The misses had no idea why I was laughing so hard.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  18:45:56  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

I got my copy this morning; the map on the inside cover is really really nice. Better than anything I've seen in the Realms novels to date.

That map is better than any 4e map they have released to date. And I am not taking a dig. I am serious.

Well not including Neverwinter.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  18:48:18  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel rather cheated cause Kindle edition does NOT have said map.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000