Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Best Fighter Character Weapon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  19:07:07  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Which was your favorite fighter character's weapon from a Realms novel and why? Please feel free to bring up weapons not mentioned in the poll.

Choices:

Aegis-Fang
Twinkle
Icingdeath
Charron''s Claw
Entreri''s Jeweled Dagger
Aryilan''s Moonblade
Cadderly''s Crossbow (with Oil of Impact)
Taumlaril the Heartseeker (spelling?)
Other

(Anonymous Vote)

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  19:38:14  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  19:45:11  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

I love it...evil little weapon

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  21:25:04  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowbane's sword Vindicator, for obvious reasons.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  21:28:44  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Shadowbane's sword Vindicator, for obvious reasons.

Cheers

Nice! Haven't read it yet, but it's on my list

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  01:40:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be fair, I can't really vote against half these weapons since I haven't read all the novels in which they feature.

I've always liked Godsbane, Avatar of Mask. A little bit troublesome and sometimes even mouthy, and some confusion exists about whether it was a short or long sword, plus it was associated with Cyric's incompetence, but it is otherwise a fine weapon indeed.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  02:04:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a particular favourite, as I'm not all that enamoured with protagnists who are predominantly fighters.

Though, I did find an immediate place in my heart for Twilight's Betrayal.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  04:28:05  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a big fan of Tyr's Hammer from the Pools series (Pool of Radiance, Pool of Darkness, Pool of Twilight). While it wasn't used as often as I would've liked, I like the fact that is was a representation of Tyr's ethics and principles that kept the city falling from grace.

Also, I have a strange love for Hammers (and longswords) in general.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  05:40:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do bards name their instruments? Do wizards name their wands? Do blacksmiths name their anvils?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  06:17:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Do bards name their instruments?
I seem to recall Ed referring to a named-warhorn in his previous replies.

A few references in printed Realms books come to mind as well, but I'll need to check my notebooks for the exact sources.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  06:32:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't have a favorite, as I don't particularly like fighters. But I would vote for Cale's Weaveshear. It has proven quite effective against all forms of foes---live, dead, big, small, visible, invisible, corporeal, and incorporeal. Even Rivalen was badly hurt by it.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 27 Aug 2011 06:36:33
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  06:35:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do bards name their instruments? Do wizards name their wands? Do blacksmiths name their anvils?

Wands, no. But staves, yes. The most prominent example is, of course, Khelben's Blackstaff. I think Yaphyll's and Arklem's have names, too.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  08:37:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I don't have a particular favourite, as I'm not all that enamoured with protagnists who are predominantly fighters.

Oh, you are gonna LOVE my 2012 novel, EYE OF JUSTICE.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  14:06:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oh, you are gonna LOVE my 2012 novel, EYE OF JUSTICE.

Cheers

I can't wait until you can start sharing tidbits about this work.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  14:09:22  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I'm not very fond of fighters I can't say I like any of the listed; but one I particullary remember is a Claymore that appears in on of the Legacy of the Drow series called Brankenfuere if I've written it properly, in fact I created a sword in NWN after that sword. It was wielded by the barbarian who briefly used Wulfgar's hammer while he was prisoner of Errtu.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  16:01:30  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Some do, but they probably also argue with themselves in a Gollum-like fashion

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  16:29:25  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icingdeath...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  18:00:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote for Arilyn's moonblade. Most of the other weapons are tools used in the course of a story... Arilyn's moonblade drives the story.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  22:36:48  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Athrogate's maces/morning stars were pretty creative too

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2011 :  01:26:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few interesting comments made.

I offer no vote on the poll.

I can see a bard naming a harp.
A Smith however not naming a sword, the sword tends to earn its own name, or a anvil.

Named weapons on items come either from Commission ("Make me a Sword worthy to defend Shadow dale" or "Make me a staff in honor of (Deity or noble"))or from the history of its something like "Defender of Waterdeep" when a war leader or noble managed to hold the line when the odds were against them use and the unexpected win was it part (if not totally) is credited to the item.

Mages make Frostbrand as proof of their skills, based on the first of them that was made and used in such a way to earn the name or was selected name while the mage started to set out to make something that had those types of properties.

Something like Dragon Slayer is something with extra power in combat with Dragons or a blade wielded by many that won over a Dragon over years (Not best example. as D&D weapons are often enchanted to have better effect against certain monsters.)

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2011 :  05:02:29  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not so big on weapons that will eat your soul if you're not supposed to be the one touching them, so that takes out moonblades and Charon's Claw. But sucking out someone else's soul is always a nice feature. So I'll go with Entreri's nameless dagger.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2011 :  21:55:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

Not so big on weapons that will eat your soul if you're not supposed to be the one touching them, so that takes out moonblades and Charon's Claw. But sucking out someone else's soul is always a nice feature. So I'll go with Entreri's nameless dagger.

A moonblade won't eat your soul -- you'll just get some degree of fried. Danilo wound up with a very scorched finger the first time, and a badly burned hand the next time.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2011 :  00:41:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sort of like powertools, chainsaws, firearms. They can (and often will) cause a lot of accidental injuries when improperly handled by unqualified people.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2011 :  03:25:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I also like Aoth's spear. It's quite versatile and has gone through many realms-shaking battles.

Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2011 :  16:59:27  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

A moonblade won't eat your soul -- you'll just get some degree of fried. Danilo wound up with a very scorched finger the first time, and a badly burned hand the next time.

I'd be one of the ones turned into a pile of ashes, I'm sure.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2011 :  08:15:58  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darkswords from the Archwizards
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2011 :  08:39:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Darkswords from the Archwizards

But of course! All the creations of the Shadovar are great in their splendor and usefulness. [I wonder if Telamont ever used one in battle.]

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2011 :  08:49:28  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
he probably had a dark scepter

I like obsidian made weapons, or the blood obsidian from Dark Sun
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2011 :  09:31:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I never saw him use one. Even during his fight against the Chosen. But then again, that time he was focusing more on controlling the mythallar than on fighting the Chosen.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2011 :  01:53:29  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erevis Cale's "Waveshear".

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  17:55:26  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Taulmaril ,the heart seeker, it just has such a cool name. Nobody is gonna is scared of a weapon called Twinkle after all.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000