Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 "The Companions"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jornan Posted - 30 Jul 2013 : 23:15:38
Received my copy in the mail yesterday. :) That's the last two RAS books a week before release day for me. So lucky....now if only I wasn't so busy with work and life I could actually read it :(
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tarlyn Posted - 14 Dec 2013 : 00:11:37
quote:
Originally posted by Smyther
How difficult or easy would folks say it would be to get into and understand these books, having had a hiatus since Richard Baker's Last Mythal trilogy in pre-Spellplague 2006, and the last Drizzt book being The Thousand Orcs? (Good Ao, I've been gone too long)

In the Drizzt saga, I stopped after the trilogy that The Thousand Orcs began and picked up the Companions with no problem. I don't think you will have any issues.
charger_ss24 Posted - 13 Dec 2013 : 04:40:11
quote:
Originally posted by Smyther

How difficult or easy would folks say it would be to get into and understand these books, having had a hiatus since Richard Baker's Last Mythal trilogy in pre-Spellplague 2006, and the last Drizzt book being The Thousand Orcs? (Good Ao, I've been gone too long)

I can't speak for anyone but myself. I had a lengthy hiatus after the Sea of Swords. I have now caught up through The Companions after picking up the series in 2010. That's what, 11 books in three years. In that time, I've also read The Sellsword Trilogy and most of the Erevis Cale books. So in my experience, it was relatively easy.
Smyther Posted - 13 Dec 2013 : 04:06:43
SirUrza Posted - 25 Nov 2013 : 14:41:42
I don't like the idea of it being an imposter. For starters, in The Last Threshold, Drizzt spots "young" Wulfgar when he visits the tribes. Salvatore already knew he was bringing the Companions back, so why include that bit. Next, Wulfgar's suffered through death/life and being a puppet of great powers once before. His attitude for resistance is very understanding IMHO but it's also fear and Tempus doesn't like cowards. Lastly, someone had to resist coming back. He had a whole life after leaving the Companions. Not seeing his new childhood allowed his return to be a surprise, not just for the Companions, but for the readers.
Seravin Posted - 23 Nov 2013 : 20:47:27
I *still* don't think that is really Wulfgar.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 23 Nov 2013 : 04:37:33

[/quote]

I had the same feelings as well. Characters that die, should stay dead from that moment forward
[/quote]

No lol! I hate when my favorite characters die, so if there is a chance they will be brought back, I'm game. Plus, I despised Dahlia (though I love Jarlaxle), so I'm all for Drizzt getting back with the Companions. Buuut this is coming from a sap who gets invested in characters, so lol
charger_ss24 Posted - 23 Nov 2013 : 01:31:04
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrel

I haven't read the Companions yet, so I obviously can't comment on any details. I am, however, going to comment on my oppinion of bringing the Companions back to the Realms. In short I'm not a fan of it.
I have enjoyed most of the different Drizzt books that have come out. I've liked most of the characters, though some more than others. Drizzt's apparent death at the end of Threshold took me by surprise, but ultimately I was quite fine with it, as frankly I believe that the character has been taken as far as it can be taken, without continuing down the path Drizzt had begun down over the span of the last three books. Personally I would have liked to see where this character development would have taken the character. I'd have liked to see a Drizzt Do'Urden with a shattered moral code, and a more "grey" perspective on the world around him. I'd have liked to see where things might have gone, if he had continued traveling besides Entreri and Dahlia. But alas, thus is apparently not to be now.

As for bringing back the rest of the Companions, I have to say why oh why do that?
The Wolfgar character had gone through a full life over the span of the series already. He'd been a leader of the combined tribes of Ice Wind Dale. He'd been young, he'd grown up. He'd been an adventurer, and he had been mentally broken. He'd even become married and a father. He should have been left alone.
Katti Bri was a somewhat interesting character, and I wouldn't have objected to seeing the character character continuing down the path as a Wizard, as she was liable to do, prior to dying. Her death was somewhat cheap to me, but not every character need glorious ends. She should have been left for dead, and as a memory to Drizzt, if he had been allowed to survive and continue to evolve as a character.
Reggis was never very interesting in my eyes, and I'd have preferred for him to remain dead on general principle.
Finally Bruenor. This character had virtually just gotten the most epic possible send-off possible. He'd been a King. He'd reclaimed Mithral Hall. He'd found Gruntlegrym. He'd become a legend to the Dwarves of the North. He was growing old. And he went out while being imbued with the essense of his God, fighting...was it a Balor or a Pit Fiend? Can't remember. Regardless of which, his ending was spectacular and epic. Writing anything further about this character will contribute NOTHING to it, except that it is liable to cheapen the legacy.

From a business perspective I can follow the idea. But frankly, IMO these characters should have been left dead. Threshold should have been rounded up differently, and then you'd have had the potential for further Drizzt books staring a new cast of supporting characters. Or Entreri could have been moved into position to continue a new line of books which might feel somewhat similar, but which would have allowed for a new spin on the kind of story we've been getting with Drizzt. Hell! Why not take the opportunity to create some new characters for a new era in the Realms?

Ultimately I've read enough good reviews of The Companions that I'll probably end up buying it, just because it's reviewed to be a good read on it's own. But frankly, I disagree with the idea of resurrecting The Companions of the Hall, even if they are "reskinned" in a manner of speaking.

/Kyrel

I had the same feelings as well. Characters that die, should stay dead from that moment forward. Bruenor battling Beealtimatuche (Pit Fiend) at the end of Gauntlygrm was perhaps the best ending of any FR novel I have read. Him coming back to life kinda waters down that epic ending in my eyes.

That being said, the way Bob brought them back to life was absolutely brilliant. I think you will enjoy how the Companions were brought back to life, though not necessarily that they WERE brought back to life.

I for one still not too keen that they were brought back to life. I was hoping for more of a companions of Drizzt, Artemis, Jarlaxle and Co.
Kyrel Posted - 23 Nov 2013 : 01:08:32
I haven't read the Companions yet, so I obviously can't comment on any details. I am, however, going to comment on my oppinion of bringing the Companions back to the Realms. In short I'm not a fan of it.
I have enjoyed most of the different Drizzt books that have come out. I've liked most of the characters, though some more than others. Drizzt's apparent death at the end of Threshold took me by surprise, but ultimately I was quite fine with it, as frankly I believe that the character has been taken as far as it can be taken, without continuing down the path Drizzt had begun down over the span of the last three books. Personally I would have liked to see where this character development would have taken the character. I'd have liked to see a Drizzt Do'Urden with a shattered moral code, and a more "grey" perspective on the world around him. I'd have liked to see where things might have gone, if he had continued traveling besides Entreri and Dahlia. But alas, thus is apparently not to be now.

As for bringing back the rest of the Companions, I have to say why oh why do that?
The Wolfgar character had gone through a full life over the span of the series already. He'd been a leader of the combined tribes of Ice Wind Dale. He'd been young, he'd grown up. He'd been an adventurer, and he had been mentally broken. He'd even become married and a father. He should have been left alone.
Katti Bri was a somewhat interesting character, and I wouldn't have objected to seeing the character character continuing down the path as a Wizard, as she was liable to do, prior to dying. Her death was somewhat cheap to me, but not every character need glorious ends. She should have been left for dead, and as a memory to Drizzt, if he had been allowed to survive and continue to evolve as a character.
Reggis was never very interesting in my eyes, and I'd have preferred for him to remain dead on general principle.
Finally Bruenor. This character had virtually just gotten the most epic possible send-off possible. He'd been a King. He'd reclaimed Mithral Hall. He'd found Gruntlegrym. He'd become a legend to the Dwarves of the North. He was growing old. And he went out while being imbued with the essense of his God, fighting...was it a Balor or a Pit Fiend? Can't remember. Regardless of which, his ending was spectacular and epic. Writing anything further about this character will contribute NOTHING to it, except that it is liable to cheapen the legacy.

From a business perspective I can follow the idea. But frankly, IMO these characters should have been left dead. Threshold should have been rounded up differently, and then you'd have had the potential for further Drizzt books staring a new cast of supporting characters. Or Entreri could have been moved into position to continue a new line of books which might feel somewhat similar, but which would have allowed for a new spin on the kind of story we've been getting with Drizzt. Hell! Why not take the opportunity to create some new characters for a new era in the Realms?

Ultimately I've read enough good reviews of The Companions that I'll probably end up buying it, just because it's reviewed to be a good read on it's own. But frankly, I disagree with the idea of resurrecting The Companions of the Hall, even if they are "reskinned" in a manner of speaking.

/Kyrel
charger_ss24 Posted - 22 Nov 2013 : 23:57:41
quote:
Originally posted by Odyrus

Regis is 100% more interesting. I'm excited about his character. I really hope at some point he crosses swords with Artemis. Now wouldn't that be ironic!

Yes...seeing a new and improved Regis was exciting to see. I doubt we see Regis and Artemis cross swords and if so, it still wouldn't be a contest. However, that being said, should Regis get extra training from Drizzt, he would be one bad little halfling!
Odyrus Posted - 22 Nov 2013 : 20:22:37
The book was entertaining.

~~~~Spoilers~~~~

I share many of the same sentiments as others about the recycling of material/characters but part of me also likes the characters and wants to read more.

I'm glad Wulfgar is back. The way his character was handled after the Crystal Shard series always rubbed me the wrong way. I always thought that he should have been this wise, giant barbarian warrior decimating his foes and pulling off insane feats of strength. Instead he was reduced to a tortured shell of a man who was emotionally detached from his best friends and ends up becoming a drifter. He should have been gleefully crushing the skulls of his opponents, like he did to Hefstaag, and smashing peoples faces and bodies with his war hammer.

Regis is 100% more interesting. I'm excited about his character. I really hope at some point he crosses swords with Artemis. Now wouldn't that be ironic!

I always liked the Dwarves. It'll be interesting to see how Bruenor handles the inevitable reclamation of his throne. I'm also excited about seeing some more BattleRager action from Pwent. I enjoy his character.

CorellonsDevout Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 23:34:01
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Heh, this just occurred to me, but Zaknafein should have been reborn as a chosen so he can hook up with Drizzt and company. That would make for some fun reading about those two chain-sawing through monsters. The question I always had was is he in Lolth's domain or in Arvandor? He did state he was at peace, and you wouldn't think you'd find that with the Spider Queen.

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier, otherwise I would have responded to it a lot sooner! I have wondered (on this site on Bob's), about Zak's fate. He did say he was at peace, but it hasn't stated [i[where[/i[ his soul is, and I have expressed my desire to know, along with the hope that because the Companions are back, Zak will make an appearance as well, if only as a spirit.
Tanthalas Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 19:20:04
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

Less sundering in it than I expected, although the prophecies about the fate of Netheril or Anauroch concern me a little.

Oldish post but:

- Yeah, this is the kind of thing that I'm not liking with The Sundering ever since I first heard about the event. I don't want everything to just go back to the pre-spellplague status quo.

Shades are overused, but so are the Drow. Do we delete them from the realms too?

Are we really going back to the Zhentarim being the big bad guys? Will Thay suddenly cease to be an undead realm (even if I personally would welcome it)?
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 13:19:08
Okay, just got finished with this book and ... wow.

It's been a LONG time since a FR novel has filled me with such hope for the future of my favorite characters and has actually enticed me to start reading the books again on a more regular basis, but you have done so, Bob. Thank you.
Eilserus Posted - 16 Oct 2013 : 20:35:53
Heh, this just occurred to me, but Zaknafein should have been reborn as a chosen so he can hook up with Drizzt and company. That would make for some fun reading about those two chain-sawing through monsters. The question I always had was is he in Lolth's domain or in Arvandor? He did state he was at peace, and you wouldn't think you'd find that with the Spider Queen.
Mirtek Posted - 16 Oct 2013 : 20:19:09
I enjoyed this book.

Less sundering in it than I expected, although the prophecies about the fate of Netheril or Anauroch concern me a little.

Sure, they may have been a little overused, but I would hate to see them gone. They "just recently" got their second city flying after all.

Also it seems strange to me that Mielikki would look approving upon Anauroch becoming a desert again. The land should have never been a desert to begin with and it's desert status due to the lifedrain magic should be viewed by a nature deity as one of the longest standing abominations against nature. If the shades have one act of restoring the natural balance to Toril, it would be undoing the lifedrain and making Anauroch a desert no more.

About the return to life of the companions I have mixed feelings. I enjoy this group and don't mind reading more of them. On the other hand good things also must come to an end and at least Wulfgar and Bruenor had epic endings to their lifes. It feels a little cheap to undo that

Also there's an error at least in the kindle version, where Bruenor remembers how he fought Errtu while filled with the power of the dwarf deities. Yet he never did that, he fought an unnamed pit fiend back then. Errtu wasn't anywhere near yet

quote:
Originally posted by Renin

I wonder about the actual souls that should have been born in the bodies the CotH were placed in.
I wonder about the first body Wulgar accidently got himself into and that was immediately killed by the midwife upon hearing him shout to Tempus in an adult voice.

Sure, she was shocked at first, but with some time to think about it: a babe born to Tempus worshipping barbarians crying out to Tempus. I wonder if the people are not grieving for misstakenly having slain a messiah of their deity just after his birth
CorellonsDevout Posted - 26 Sep 2013 : 03:07:23
I'm sure hoping he's the real Wulfgar, and I had no questions otherwise until people starting listing suspicions. Made me suspicious lol
Arcanus Posted - 26 Sep 2013 : 00:10:03
I doubt that this Wulfgar is an imposter. Bob is at the forefront of drawing a line under 4e and bringing back the feeling of the realms feel that he loves.
Arcanus Posted - 26 Sep 2013 : 00:04:40
I doubt that this Wulfgar is an imposter. Bob is at the forefront of drawing a line under 4e and bringing back the feeling of the realms that he loves.
Tanthalas Posted - 25 Sep 2013 : 18:34:24
I think I read earlier in this scroll someone mentioning that in the previous book we had already got a glimpse of "reborn Wulfgar". That would at least suggest that this is the real Wulfgar.

If he's mind-controlled or not is a different story. Though Wulfgar being there already opens the possibility of tension within the group with a love triangle, that might be good enough for Lolth.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Sep 2013 : 17:33:32
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Being a Chosen isn't always necessarily about a reward for past accomplishments or present prowess.

I think it could be more about a future mission or purpose.

Duuuude............your on the internet......what's up with all this logic and thinking out stuff?

Yeah! And we don't need grammar, either!
The Red Walker Posted - 25 Sep 2013 : 14:40:41
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Being a Chosen isn't always necessarily about a reward for past accomplishments or present prowess.

Duuuude............your on the internet......what's up with all this logic and thinking out stuff?
jordanz Posted - 25 Sep 2013 : 03:36:04
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

Oh, and as for Wulfgar, I believe he's either Lolth in disguise, or her mortal champion in disguise. The real Wulfgar certainly seemed determined not to be reborn, and if he'd made the choice to return, I believe Salvatore would have shown him growing up the same way he did with the rest of the Companions. And the way he was described as hulking and shadowy when he arrived, and Guenhwyvar's initial reaction to him… no, I can't believe that's truly Wulfgar.

Interesting viewpoint from "Grimlock" ocer at another board:

quote:
Here are my three scenarios:

1) It actually is Wulfgar. This is the one I think most likely and I think Bob made things ambiguous just to watch us all speculate and debate. We are told that Wulfgar made his choice to go back to Tempus and he "disappears under the waves." This would obviously imply that he took the path to Tempus and was gone. However, Bob never gave any detailed explanation of how that worked. Maybe he had to swim down to some cave. Maybe he had to be under for a certain amount of time. Maybe he had to go underwater and then concentrate on Tempus. We simply don't know. Wulfgar has been known to be a bit impetuous, and to change his mind, so I don't see it as out of character at all for him to start to go one way then suddenly change his mind, walk out of the water, and go to join the Companions.

In the most recent interview Bob points out that Breunor's journey is meant to answer all the questions that fans would be challenging, and what I essentially did challenge in my earlier post, about the realism that some of them would choose to go back to Drizzt after having lived a full and good life. Since Wulfgar and Breunor esssentially shared similar initial feelings about going back, detailing Wulfgar's journey would have been very similar to Breunor's and Bob likely didn't feel that it would have added much to the book. Also, by holding out one of the characters he could do what he did and have a nice little zinger of a surprise at the end.

2) The Wulfgar that appears at the end is a doppleganger Wulfgar. This would be the second most likely scenario in my mind. In this scenario, Wulfgar does choose to go back to Tempus. The Wulfgar at the end is an imposter, likely created by Lolth, to sow chaos within the group. If this is the case it would clearly explain why their was no journey shown for Wulfgar...he never took one because he chose Tempus. It would appear that Guenwyvar might sense the imposter, being a magical creature, yet she clearly believes it to be Wulfgar. Then again, if the imposter is created by a Goddess, she could likely mask it so that it's undetectable.

I don't personally find this scenario to be very good. If Lolth can create a perfect duplicate, she could have done that long ago and on any occassion she wanted to manipulate Drizzt. I also don't like it because it craps on Wulfgar. Yeah, yeah, Catti-brie says there is no wrong choice and nobody would resent him for choosing to go to Tempus and his rest. Well, the Companions might not resent him, but many readers would and I don't think Bob wants that sour taste in people's mouthes about Wulfgar.

3) It is Wulfgar who appears at the end but he's been controlled/brain washed by Lolth. This is both the least plausible and the least paletable to me. The major issue I have with this is that it's a riff on what's already been done before. Wulfgar has already been taken to Lolth and then given to Errtu for torture. I'm not interested in seeing Wulfgar taken yet again by Lolth. It's stale and lame. Additionally, it would reflect very negatively upon Meliekki and Tempus. She blocked all four of the companions from going to their proper rest and gave them a choice. To think that another God/Goddess could swoop in and steal their soul as they have made the decision to go to their rightful God and abduct it doesn't seem plausible. So what Meliekki is going to look at Tempus and be like "sorry Tempus, I know I kept one of your deciples from you, and I was going to let him go to you, but darn it, Lolth jumped in and took him." Tempus is going to respond and be like "Oh well, #%%+ happens."

I can see where you can make a case for any of the three scenarios, but if it's either #2 or #3 I'll be very disappointed in Bob's choice.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 25 Sep 2013 : 02:09:21
Thanks, jordanz. Hope you enjoy it.
jordanz Posted - 25 Sep 2013 : 01:57:15
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

I basically agree with Tanthalas. A Chosen's gifts may take time to develop fully, and even when they have, they won't necessarily be gifts that are all about blowing away the bad guys on the battlefield. (You'll see how I handled two different Chosen when you read THE REAVER: THE SUNDERING BOOK IV, as I hope you will.)

Point taken. As a side note, I think you're an awesome author. I look forward to devouring "Reaver".
jordanz Posted - 25 Sep 2013 : 01:55:08
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I don't think that being especially powerful is a requirement to become a chosen.

At least Erevis Cale, Drasek Riven and Malik never seemed that powerful to me. I'm guessing that the Seven Sisters also weren't born super powerful either.

True and Catt is only 21 as of yet. But I'm guessing she has the potential to be powerful... I'm almost certain the trial the Companions will face will warrant it
BEAST Posted - 24 Sep 2013 : 04:33:50

Richard Lee Byers Posted - 24 Sep 2013 : 03:46:58
I basically agree with Tanthalas. A Chosen's gifts may take time to develop fully, and even when they have, they won't necessarily be gifts that are all about blowing away the bad guys on the battlefield. (You'll see how I handled two different Chosen when you read THE REAVER: THE SUNDERING BOOK IV, as I hope you will.)
Krafus Posted - 24 Sep 2013 : 00:53:45
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout
Guen's initial reaction to him could be explained by the fact she was startled, and she almost lost Drizzt, so she's wary of anyone coming up, though granted she was overjoyed to see the other companions. Wulfgar had also been gone from the Companions for many years even before their deaths, so Guen could just feel a greater "distance" with him.

Even if Wulfgar has been gone from the Companions longer than all the others, they'd all been dead for dozens of years from Guenwhyvar's perspective when they reappeared at the end of the book. So for me, Guen only having a negative reaction when "Wulfgar" appeared is telling.
Tanthalas Posted - 23 Sep 2013 : 19:49:06
I don't think that being especially powerful is a requirement to become a chosen.

At least Erevis Cale, Drasek Riven and Malik never seemed that powerful to me. I'm guessing that the Seven Sisters also weren't born super powerful either.
jordanz Posted - 22 Sep 2013 : 06:54:15
I hope that Wulfgar is indeed back and will feel cheated if it's not really him. Perhaps Lolth has return via Regis and his evil dirk. Perhaps he was named "Spider" for mpre than just his climbing ability. Think about how he euthlessly started killing his enemies....

So is Cattie-brie a chosen of both Mystra and Melieki? She doesn't appear to be an especially powerful mage or cleric for a "chosen".

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000