Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Sundering Novel Reviews
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MichelleG
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  15:35:00  Show Profile Send MichelleG a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know where I can get decent reviews of the Sundering novels that have been released so far?

I've looked at the Amazon reviews, and while most of them are glowing, almost all of them are by people who got free copies. Clearly Wizards is putting some coin into promoting the books, but it sort of feels like a quid pro quo situation and I'm honestly not sure if I can trust reviews in those circumstances.

Other than here on Candlekeep, where would anyone suggest that I find reviews by people familiar with the Realms, rather than random people given free copies (which is how it looks on Amazon)?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  16:43:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if novel discussions are currently allowed on the WotC forums, but if so, you can find more reviews there. I believe the site Goodreads.com also does reviews.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  18:34:55  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So just to clarify what you're seeing, Wizards uses a service called Netgalley to solicit early reviews from readers/reviewers. A member of Netgalley gets notified when the book becomes available and can choose to download it, in exchange for an honest review. That's generally how it works with traditional reviewers, too--you send them a copy of the book and hope they like it/have time to review it. Some reviewers mention explicitly they got the book from the publisher as well as any possible conflicts (e.g. I had a reviewer email me once, because he wanted to talk about Brimstone Angels, and he wound up disclosing that in the first paragraph, even though he didn't change a word of the review, I'm pretty sure). Others don't bother, because it's traditionally how things have been done. Netgalley is a little different, I think, because Amazon/Goodreads reviews "count" as reviews.

The reviews you find on Amazon and Goodreads are going to be a mix of Netgalley reviewers and readers who picked the book up independently. The closer to the release date of the book, the more likely the reviewers have an advanced reader's copy and were asked to review it. For The Companions, there are going to be more independent readers at this point. For The Adversary, it's going to be more Netgalley as the independent readers have only had their books for a week.

There is definitely a slant toward "new to the Realms" in the Netgalley reviews I've seen, that's true. I think more of the reviewers on Netgalley aren't familiar with how great the Realms is...YET. Not all of them are positive, believe me , although my editor keeps reminding me most of them are.

None of which means you should or should not refer to them--that's entirely up to you. But that's what you're seeing.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2013 :  13:21:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MichelleG

I've looked at the Amazon reviews, and while most of them are glowing, almost all of them are by people who got free copies. Clearly Wizards is putting some coin into promoting the books, but it sort of feels like a quid pro quo situation and I'm honestly not sure if I can trust reviews in those circumstances.
I couldn't speak for the other two books, but Godborn's good reviews are mostly from people who are old-time Realms/Kemp fans. In fact, more than half of the not-so-good reviews are from people who got free copies (via Netgalley) but either are not familiar with the setting at all or just RAS fans trying to "venture" outside Drizzt's world. So I can fairly say the reviews, altogether, are well balanced.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000