Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Prophet of the Dead - The Blurb
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  03:24:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

The blurb in Amazon.

This novel is one of the many I'm looking forward to next year, and its release date is less than 2 months away. I was expecting the blurb would reveal something, no matter how little. Yet that one in Amazon is too generic you can easily replace Richard's name with RAS and the BotG with the CotH.

Are we going to see a better blurb in December or January? Or better yet, an excerpt?

Every beginning has an end.

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  06:38:47  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hope so. That one line blurb was pretty disappointing. Looking forward to the book though.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  18:07:32  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bet that was written before I turned in the novel, and by someone who for some reason wasn't privy to the outline.

Anyway, if you read The Masked Witches, you know the basics. Rashemen! Undead durthans, Nars, and what have you rising under the leadership of a sinister force from Elsewhere to conquer the realm and turn it into a land of horrors! Our heroes separated and in dire peril! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  17:09:19  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. That's a much better blurb.

Edited by - Thauranil on 29 Nov 2012 17:09:50
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  21:43:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dogs and cats living together? Are we talking about Prophet of the Dead here, or Cats & Dogs: The Return of Kitty Galore?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  02:41:57  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, I was referencing a line from Ghostbusters.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  02:49:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Some only know that as a video game *Wink* and few might even know the game.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  02:56:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

Points for the Ghostbusters reference, Richard. Good stuff!

[And I'm looking forward to your new novel as well.]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Simon Phoenix
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  04:55:15  Show Profile Send Simon Phoenix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tell him about the Twinkie.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  06:46:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ghostbusters? Hmm. An unfortunate coincidence... I once heard my little sister tell my cousin, "Seriously, Kuya, Ghostbusters? Ewww."

On topic: I kinda hoped that PotD would be slightly longer than TMW as it is the last adventure of TBotG (with no assurance of a continuation). But 352 pages? That's the usual length of nearly all FR novels...

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  11:37:34  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think RLB has intentions of making more BotG novels (I hope).

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  14:54:14  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dennis, even though I was suddenly telling a two-book story instead of a three-book one, I still had to turn in a novel of the length specified in the contract. That's just the way the game is played. I was able to do this by streamlining certain aspects of the plot. I think the results are pretty decent, and I hope readers won't feel I'm giving cursory treatment to things that should be handled at greater length.

Tanthalas, I do plan to continue BotG. I've discussed this with my editor, and he says he wants to do it, too. Of course, for everyone involved with the line, much depends on how well the Sundering products do. If they're a huge success, WotC is likely to conclude that there's a market for quite a bit of Forgotten Realms product per year. If the Sundering enjoys a more modest level of success, then WotC is likely to think that the market for FR product isn't strong enough to support very many novels per year, which may have unfortunate implications for a number of us writers looking to continue a particular series.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000