Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 I will buy and eReader......
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2012 :  18:45:50  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
So I'm really curious how we all break down here in regards to eReaders and eBooks. Please feel free to elaborate your feelings with a post. I am VERY supportive of eBooks, but I am a recent convert. I was very against the idea a few years ago. But it took me getting an eReader as a gift and having an amazing experience with it for me to change my mind.

Choices:

As soon as possible or I already own one.
When they are more affordable. $100 or less.
Only when I can''''t get print books.
Only when they remove DRM
NEVER!!

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - Caolin on 22 Nov 2012 18:46:59

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2012 :  19:47:07  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never. Nothing will compare to holding a book in your hands to read, IMHO of course. On rare occasions when a short story by one of my favorite authors is released as E-book only, I will just borrow a Kindle from a friend.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2012 :  21:06:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I have Kindle. I'm on the other side of the planet, so it usually takes a month or two (three, tops) for a book released in the US or UK to be here. So I buy the eBook version first, then the hardbound after, when available.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2012 :  21:22:23  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I have Kindle. I'm on the other side of the planet, so it usually takes a month or two (three, tops) for a book released in the US or UK to be here. So I buy the eBook version first, then the hardbound after, when available.

Now that's dedication. :)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2012 :  21:49:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Maybe. But really, it's just the impatient part of me. I can't just sit around waiting too long knowing that the new books by my favorite authors are already out there. So...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2012 :  23:04:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be a lot more in favor of eReaders if the price of eBooks was more reasonable.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  00:19:14  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, some of them are quite reasonable. I've bought a number of ebooks that were 2.99 or less. And I make it a point never to spend more than 6$ on an ebook. I've managed to buy some really interesting ones of a buck, though most of those are on occult subjects, so I suppose you just have to hunt for good deals on the books you want. I guess it depends a lot on what you are interested in reading, but I've found that sometimes you can get good ones on sale through Amazon. I bought American Gods (the 10th anniversary edition) on ebook for 3$. Usually, it would have been 10$, but they were doing a special discount, so I snapped it up. Was NOT disappointed!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Lewton
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  01:04:25  Show Profile  Visit Lewton's Homepage Send Lewton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never. It's just someone else making a choice for me. So basically I'm being told "if you want to continue to read our books, you'll read them this way or won't read them at all." Sorry, I don't agree with that.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  01:07:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Alystra:

True. I bought some that are just $0.99. I think what Wooly is referring to is the 'initial' price of the ebooks when they're released the same time their paper counterparts are released. The novels of Martin, Feist, Rothfuss, Butcher, and many other bestselling fantasy authors are like that.

Edited by - Dennis on 23 Nov 2012 01:08:32
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  01:27:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There really isn't an issue for e-books prices with me... because when I'm faced with spending nearly $20AUD on a printed novel, or a $2.99-$6.99USD e-book [and, considering both the AUD and USD are at exchange parity], the choice is obvious. Especially if I'm on a particularly tight monthly budget.

I suspect I'll purchase a dedicated e-reader eventually. But it's not a necessary product for me at the moment -- and since I'm largely able to read all the e-books I've already purchased on either my SagePhone, SagePad, of the Kindle application on my home-based SagePuters, I really don't see the need for a dedicated e-reader currently.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  04:21:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

There really isn't an issue for e-books prices with me... because when I'm faced with spending nearly $20AUD on a printed novel, or a $2.99-$6.99USD e-book [and, considering both the AUD and USD are at exchange parity], the choice is obvious. Especially if I'm on a particularly tight monthly budget.

I suspect I'll purchase a dedicated e-reader eventually. But it's not a necessary product for me at the moment -- and since I'm largely able to read all the e-books I've already purchased on either my SagePhone, SagePad, of the Kindle application on my home-based SagePuters, I really don't see the need for a dedicated e-reader currently.

And when he does get one, it'll be a SageReader, purchased with SageBucks, and then take back to the SageHome.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  05:08:33  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind you don't need an e-reader to read e-books. You can download the Kindle App for your computer and it's possible to read e-books purchased from Google on your web browser.

I read e-books using both of the above mentioned methods.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  05:20:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes. But it's annoying to read books on a computer, especially if you have a big screen.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  05:30:04  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I look at eReaders as a replacement for print media (comics, novels, magazines). They are portable and can be read anywhere. I'm just really curious where the wind is blowing when it comes to those who frequent this forum. I know from personal experience that most people I know are happy to give up print media. But then again I do live in San Francisco.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  05:38:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Nope. I'd never give up print. eBooks are fine, as they're convenient and fast to get delivered. But nothing will replace the feel of a physical book. That's why I buy both, most often. Though I hate it if the ONLY option is an eBook.

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  05:42:09  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Kindle, but I still also buy some paper books. Some books I have to get as first edition hardbacks. Personally my Kindle is to save space in the bookcase. :) And to sample books I am not sure I will like. I also have gotten some classic novels on there that I would like to re-read that I got for free and don't really feel like owning a paper copy.
I prefer to have a choice (and think it is weird that ebooks have the same price as hardback or close to it)
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  13:05:36  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Own two Kindles...
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  13:06:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My Nook died recently after two years of hard service. I plan to replace it with the Nook Simple Touch, which is $99 when it's NOT on sale. This weekend, Barnes & Noble has them on sale for $59. I like this eReader for a number of reasons, including the fact that the eInk screen is as easy to read as a printed page--easier, when you consider the ability to adjust font. Since I'm prone to eye strain, this is a very important feature. The Nook is lightweight, easy to hold--a big plus if you read hefty tomes. It will hold about 1000 books, and you can add memory if you want to carry more around. I like being able to pre-order anticipated novels and have them magically appear on the day of release. If I start reading a new series, it's easy to KEEP reading it.

In short, I love the Nook.

I do read paper books, mostly for research. These include library books and purchased copies of the sort of non-fiction that's unlikely to be formatted for eReader. For example, I recently purchased a collection of letters James VI and I wrote during his Scottish reign--a very old collection that was reprinted by a publisher that specializes in keeping old historical texts in print.

Ebook prices is a big topic, but to my way of thinking, I'm buying the STORY. The delivery system is a secondary consideration.

I've gone into this before on this forum, but in brief, there are certain costs associated with producing a published novel: editing, copyediting, proofing, formatting and layout, art, and cover design. These costs need to be spread out over the various delivery formats. Obviously, a hardcover book is going to cost more to produce, as it has the added expense of printing, warehousing, and shipping. Distribution, however, is not necessarily less expensive for an ebook than a print book. Amazon.com and other e-bookstores charge a hefty chunk of the cover price to list and deliver a title. When ebooks accounted for a tiny percentage of first-run sales, it didn't really matter how they were priced. But as more sales shift toward ebooks, it's not reasonable to expect that a novel that's released as a $24.99 hardcover should be simultaneously released as a $.99 ebook. Ebooks need to carry a reasonable share of production costs.

There are times when lower ebook prices make sense; for example, when releasing OOP books in ebook format. Elfshadow, for example, was published 20 years ago, reprinted several times, and has sold over 200K copies. Any expenses associated with this book's production were covered long ago. It would make sense, in my opinion, to lower the price on the older backlist books to make them more attractive as an entry point to the Realms for new readers, and for long-time readers who are converting their libraries to ebooks. Low ebook prices make sense for shorter works. I've priced my Tales of Sevrin novellas at $1.99, and from now until the end of the year they're on a "holiday sale" price of $1.50. Most of the stories in my ebook collection JUST KEEP WEAVING are reprints. They've already been sold and published, and the rights have reverted back to me. Since there are almost no costs involved in published this ebook, a low price makes sense (current holiday price is $2.99.) Low ebook prices might also make sense for trilogies or continuing-character series. Selling the first book for a very low price, or even giving it away, may be a good marketing decision. The Wheel of Time series benefitted from a huge marketing campaign that including printing and giving away 250,000 print copies of a chunk of the first book. That's how I was introduced to the series. There was a stack of slim paperbacks at the counter of a Waldenbooks. I took one and read it, then I bought the whole book. These days, low-pricec or free ebooks serve the same purpose. For very prolific and popular authors such as Dean Koontz and Nora Roberts, $5 ebook "reprints" of older titles is very practical, as their readers are likely to purchase many backlist books to read or reread.

So, yeah, there are situations in which a low ebook price makes sense for everyone. But for newly released novels, here's the bottom line: Until the day that editors, artists, and writers can afford to work for free, ebook releases have to bear a reasonable share of production costs.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 23 Nov 2012 13:15:24
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  13:23:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My problem comes down to 3 factors, cost, screen size and ease of using external storage. I don't want to read anything on a 7 in screen. I want at least a 10 inch screen. Why? Because I envision myself reading PDF's of gaming books on it that I keep on USB storage. So, that means I'm looking at around $500. Now, if there were significant price savings on e-books, it might be worth the extra outlay, but I don't envision myself buying $500 of books. Its sad, because I really like the idea (I wanted to see it 20 years ago, but I think we all thought of it when carrying around college books and seeing laptops for the first time).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  14:27:39  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought an e-reader since some books are e-book only, but if there's a choice between an e-book and a physical one, I'll always buy the physical one.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  14:45:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

So, yeah, there are situations in which a low ebook price makes sense for everyone. But for newly released novels, here's the bottom line: Until the day that editors, artists, and writers can afford to work for free, ebook releases have to bear a reasonable share of production costs.

I have no problem with any of that. My problem is when eBook prices are comparable to print copy prices, though the production and distribution costs are going to be considerably less.

I expect people to make a profit for their work, whether it's writing the story in the first place, or getting the story to me in some format that I like. I just don't want to feel like I'm getting gouged when I buy that story -- and seeing eBook prices within a couple of dollars of the print copy prices make me feel that I'm being gouged.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  15:04:49  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In India ebook prices are pretty much the same to paperback prices soi would only save a token amount so in my case. Also the selection is very limited. Thus I will definitely not be getting an e reader anytime soon.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  15:07:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I have no problem with any of that. My problem is when eBook prices are comparable to print copy prices, though the production and distribution costs are going to be considerably less.

I expect people to make a profit for their work, whether it's writing the story in the first place, or getting the story to me in some format that I like. I just don't want to feel like I'm getting gouged when I buy that story -- and seeing eBook prices within a couple of dollars of the print copy prices make me feel that I'm being gouged.

I can understand that when it comes to expensive hardcovers, but for a paperback release, reducing a $6.99 mass market paperback to $4.99 would absolutely not strike me as price gouging.
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  17:13:24  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer real books to eBooks. But since I have many PDFs of various sorts, I wanted something to read them away from my computer. So I bought an iPod touch to read the files with iBooks. With the Kindle app am able to read eBooks from Amazon, too, and I have started to buy books I do not want to fill my book shelves as eBooks (John Carter of Mars 1-5 for Kindle and iBooks, for example). As a Pathfinder subscriber in Germany I have to wait for my for three to five weeks, but thanks to the PDFs I can read them immediately.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  19:50:45  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the Google Nexus 7, which can be closely compared to the Kindle Fire. It's a tablet, but with the Kindle, Kobo, and Google Books apps, it's an e-reader. My first choice will always be print. That will never change. But with novellas and novels that don't get a print release, I can at least buy them and read them now. I don't mind that it's no e-ink. My wife had an e-ink Kindle, and I really don't see what's so special about it.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  23:01:39  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first thing I want to see is the prices of eBooks that are released in hardback to be normalized with those of paperbacks. There is no reason why any eBook should sell for $10-$15. I've been OK with paying the $6.50 price for new releases, but I would like to see it fall below $6.

As for any loyalty to print media, I have to admit that I am pretty firmly for the relegation of print media to niche status. I hate to sound like a hippy or some enviro-nazi, but there are so many books that go unsold. It is such a waste that harms the environment by creating millions of books only to have them go unsold and ultimately destroyed. It's not just the loss of trees, they can be regrown. It's the whole industry around cutting them down, processing the wood into paper, making the ink for the books, shipping, etc.

If eBooks can help drastically shrink the print industry down to the point where the only books that get created are those that are already bought and paid for. Well, I think we should all cheer for and support eMedia.

I respect those who still love the feel of a book in their hands. It's an institution that's been in human culture for centuries. But we can't hold onto old institutions just for the sake of nostalgia, especially if it is doing harm to the environment. If you really want print to stay around, then support and lobby for Print on Demand and support eMedia, even if you don't want to ever read an eBook.

OK, my rant is over. Sorry for that but I wanted to get that out there.

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  23:10:17  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, its not like electronic devices don't leave an environmental footprint either.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  23:18:11  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

You know, its not like electronic devices don't leave an environmental footprint either.

Oh I realize this. I was going to address it in my post, but I felt I was going a bit long. But an eReader can hold hundreds of thousands, if not millions of books and magazines. That in itself is a huge dent in the carbon foot print. But maintaining both forms of media in their current state is the worst case scenario. I would love it if print went to an on demand service and the electronics became more recycle friendly.
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2012 :  15:38:50  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reflection on the matter, I'll be getting an eReader for Christmas. I recently donated a number of older books, but I don't want to just fill that space with new books (not to mention that the rest of the family promptly claimed a lot of the newly-freed space). I'll still buy hardcovers when I really want a new novel, but paperbacks will now be bought in eBook format. I'm not at all happy at WotC's "eBook only" policy as I believe readers should be able to choose what format they want, but I won't make a stand on that principle alone, and in any case the memory of my formerly overflowing bookshelves - and the prospect that they might become that way again if I remain physical books only - displeases me even more.

Edited by - Krafus on 24 Nov 2012 15:39:53
Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  20:54:07  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that nothing compares to the feeling of a book in your hand, but when you travel a lot, nothing compares to being able to bring your entire library with you on a device that's smaller than most people's desk phones or daily planners not 10 years ago. I guess I will go silently into the night after all.
Go to Top of Page

offlineagain
Acolyte

Germany
4 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  12:36:56  Show Profile Send offlineagain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ebooks: i feel so "back to the nineties" in a bad way
let me explain:
I live in Germany, I like to read my books in english
when I started out I bought one on holiday in england (azure bonds...I still like Finder/nameless bard a lot)
then I picked up more when on holiday again
basically what I wanted was not available in Germany or only in "special stores" in major (far-away) towns
then along comes amazon.de ... and it was heaven ever since
english books shipping to my front door for free, always the latest issues, later even lowest prices garanteed on pre orders...
until now...
now books I want to read are suddénly ebook only...
so I give in and read on my pad and even prepare to get an ereader...
but hell no! It is not that easy, even now that I have surrendered to being blackmailed to spend money on an ereader...
the ebooks i want are not licensed for europe, meaning not available at amazon.de
and amazon.com knows i am from over here and redirects me back home...
feels just like twenty years ago... but needs more battery :(

nice new world..what's with "think global" now? don't even get me started on trying to buy "country music"...

Edited by - offlineagain on 29 Nov 2012 12:41:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000