Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Fleshing out the Spellplague time jump.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  03:51:52  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As per Erik's request here is the new thread. I for one would like to see WOTC open up the time line that authors are able to write books in. It could make Canon a bit tricky, but would be soooo worth it. Thoughts? What story arcs that were skipped over or just disappeared would you like to see get the novel treatment?

A few that come to mind for me:

Cormyr 2: Another Novel
Anything Elaine Cunningham, from the destruction of Halruaa to Elith, Arylin, Danilo, Bronwyn, Liriel....just anything!
RLB's Rogue Dragon Characters

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  05:16:51  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like a novel about Cormyr that is post Alusair. :D We waited for so long to see little Azoun take the throne...and poof. :(
I would also like to know what happened to Myth Drannor after the Return.
I would love to read about the time around the Spellpague like they are going to do with The Sundering. How did mages survive if they did, or Mystra's clerics? (Or any of the other gods that died/went poof/were shown to being some other god's aspect)
What happened to the dark elves that were released from the curse? How did the drow take/deal with it? What about other races (specifically the other elves)?

That is all I can think of at the moment. I am sure I will come up with more stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  18:09:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very cool, Jornan--thanks for starting the thread.

I want to clarify that this is a place to voice what you'd like to see between the Spellplague and the Year of the Ageless One. The idea is to gauge how much people really want to see fleshed out in this era.

If you don't want to see anything during the "silent years," kindly decline to post, which will ring just as loudly (if not more loudly) than a "nothing!" sort of post.

Myself, I would love to tell a story about some of my early characters, particularly Arya from Ghostwalker. I outlined a story about her set in the late 1380s which I'd very much like to be able to tell.

And of course the Fox-at-Twilight has a huge amount of story to be unveiled.

quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

(Or any of the other gods that died/went poof/were shown to being some other god's aspect)
This is a very interesting topic. I believe that the story "several gods were shown to be aspects of other gods" isn't strictly correct. That's exactly what their (diminished) churches would have said, that their gods include other gods, but I think it's more likely gods merely banded together for mutual protection and support.

Take Hanali and Sune for instance: their churches are shaken to the core, priests dying and deserting the faith all around the place, so they band together to bring their churches together and thus both of them draw on the same body of worship to maintain their survival. Individually, Hanali and Sune might have become far less powerful, but together, they were able to maintain their position as a powerful deity.

Anyway, one story I'd really like to see is something that clarifies this.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 10 Oct 2012 18:16:13
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  18:39:31  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something with Drizzt, Bruenor, Jessa, Nanfoodle, Pwent, Guenhwyvar, and Andahar in the 40 year gap in Gauntgrym.

I'd like to know more about what happens in Shade enclave during and after the spellplague, as the shadow weave was also destroyed.

I'm sure there's some stories that could be written about the characters in the Haunted Lands between the large gaps in the series.

I'd like to see how the chosen turned out. Who survives, and who doesn't and how do they die.

(Later request)
I would like to see Eric Scott De Bie bring his characters from Shadowbane (Especially Myriam) into The Rise of the Underdark with the Drow after her, as she seems like the exact conduit to Mystras power that Lloth would want to get a hold of.

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  18:41:22  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd rather see novels from the Empires era and the Crown Wars era. But if we are just talking about the Spellplague era, I'd like to read novels on the following subjects:

The Rise of High Imaskar.

Some stories about the destruction and after match of some of the destroyed states like Halruua and Luiren.

It would also be a good time to cover lands that don't get much attention like Damara and Vaasa.

I guess the point I am trying to make is, let's hear from places that rarely get any attention. Some of my favorite novels are the one off's that take us to a rarely touched corner of the Realms. Dark vision is a good example.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  20:09:40  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have loved, and I mean loved, and I mean *loved* to see some novels detailing the fallout of Tymanther crashing onto Unther and the first contact between Tymanther and the civilizations of Toril.

In the same vein, I would have loved some novels detailing the first people from Toril finding Returned Abeir and vice versa.

In general, just a few novels dealing more heavily with the Abernian locations, with both external and internal perspectives.

In my opinion these areas had the greatest untapped potential out of everything that came out of the Spellplague and 4e in general.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  20:42:26  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to read something (preferably by Elaine) about Halruaan refugees, and maybe the re-founding of their culture somewhere else. Also, I would like to see something similar for Luiren (not necessarily by Elaine) and how the Halflings made the transition. It would be cool to see this tie into the work of Dalor Darden and Markustay to tie the Five Shires into the Realms.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and to see the historical Waterdeep novel that was supposed to be like Cormyr and Evermeet by Elaine and Ed rather than the Waterdeep novel that got (thanks to a nameless editor who liked that idea better). Actually, I would love many such novels for several different locals in the Realms.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 10 Oct 2012 20:45:16
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  21:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan
Cormyr 2: Another Novel
Nah. There's no one out there with ideas about this. Wouldn't work. Nuh uh.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  21:24:27  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would like a novel about Cormyr that is post Alusair. :D We waited for so long to see little Azoun take the throne...and poof. :(
This one, either.

Seriously, I'd like to explore this, but would much rather work in the "present."

However, you can get a tiny glimpse of the intervening years in Cormyr (1370s all the way up to Midwinter 1479) in my Cormyr Royale article on the WotC site. Interested parties should have a look (with the knowledge that it's behind the D&D Insider paywall).
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  22:18:09  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to see little one-off survival stories. Kind of like what Bruce Cordell's Abolethic trilogy started out as. Ideally somewhere within the DR1385 - DR1395 timeframe. I'm looking for death, destruction, and survival.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  17:18:08  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For sure survival stories would be great. A "Realms of Spellplague" anthology or two would be very interesting to get small glimpses of the various happenings in the different countries and regions as well as past characters that don't necessarily warrant an entire novel devoted to the subject matter.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  17:48:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have advocated strongly for a "Realms of the Plague" anthology in the past. I think that might be a little too loaded a title, ultimately--maybe a "Realms of the Secret Century" would be better, when the stories collected are all about revealing hitherto unknown lore about the timejump (and not necessarily having to do with the Spellplague itself)?

Let me ask a hypothetical question: How likely would you be to purchase (for a small fee, like $1-$2 per download) e-stories set in all different eras in the Realms, released on a monthly (or twice monthly) basis, the best of which would be collected at the end of the year into an actual book you could purchase for less than the cost of the individual stories? (Like 15 stories for $10?)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  17:49:46  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What was involved in the League of the Silver Marches once again taking on the name of "Luruar"?

The dwarves' departure therefrom.

The last known events in the life of Artemis (formerly Entreri).

The earliest known events in the life of Barrabus the Gray.

What has Mithral Hall been up to?

What was this Third Orc War, mentioned in Gauntlgrym? (And what was the Second, while we're at it?)

The complete history of all the Oboulds, goodly and less-goodly.

What turned the orcs of Many-Arrows against Luruar?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 11 Oct 2012 17:53:39
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  18:07:12  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, it's bittersweet--I have a whole Kingdom of Many-Arrows novel outlined that answers many of these questions. Not that WotC is interested (yet) in publishing it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  18:50:50  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I have advocated strongly for a "Realms of the Plague" anthology in the past. I think that might be a little too loaded a title, ultimately--maybe a "Realms of the Secret Century" would be better, when the stories collected are all about revealing hitherto unknown lore about the timejump (and not necessarily having to do with the Spellplague itself)?

Let me ask a hypothetical question: How likely would you be to purchase (for a small fee, like $1-$2 per download) e-stories set in all different eras in the Realms, released on a monthly (or twice monthly) basis, the best of which would be collected at the end of the year into an actual book you could purchase for less than the cost of the individual stories? (Like 15 stories for $10?)

Cheers

VERY VERY interested. This is close to the model of the Battletech site Battlecorp. It's a great model, except they go about it all wrong. They charge a monthly fee and they only release in PDF, no eBook (Well, they have started selling eBooks but only a select few stories). The problem with the monthly fee is that they don't guarantee a release of new fiction every month. So you can go for 2-3 months with no update. It is a waste money IMO. Now a pay per story model would be great. These stories would be nice filler in between novel releases.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  20:18:54  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapbooks my man. And Arya's story would be great.

I'd like small stories that don't affect already set canon.

An anthology would be ideal.

And at least two Elaine Cunningham novels,One with Danilo, Arilyn, Elaith and Azariah and one for good ole Bronwyn. Hell three, one more for Matteo and Tsigone.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 11 Oct 2012 20:21:44
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  21:09:57  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Very cool, Jornan--thanks for starting the thread.

I want to clarify that this is a place to voice what you'd like to see between the Spellplague and the Year of the Ageless One. The idea is to gauge how much people really want to see fleshed out in this era.

If you don't want to see anything during the "silent years," kindly decline to post, which will ring just as loudly (if not more loudly) than a "nothing!" sort of post.

Myself, I would love to tell a story about some of my early characters, particularly Arya from Ghostwalker. I outlined a story about her set in the late 1380s which I'd very much like to be able to tell.

And of course the Fox-at-Twilight has a huge amount of story to be unveiled.

quote:

(Or any of the other gods that died/went poof/were shown to being some other god's aspect)
This is a very interesting topic. I believe that the story "several gods were shown to be aspects of other gods" isn't strictly correct. That's exactly what their (diminished) churches would have said, that their gods include other gods, but I think it's more likely gods merely banded together for mutual protection and support.

Take Hanali and Sune for instance: their churches are shaken to the core, priests dying and deserting the faith all around the place, so they band together to bring their churches together and thus both of them draw on the same body of worship to maintain their survival. Individually, Hanali and Sune might have become far less powerful, but together, they were able to maintain their position as a powerful deity.

Anyway, one story I'd really like to see is something that clarifies this.

Cheers

All the more reason to describe the events around the god/religion. Were there people that reacted to this by leaving? If so why. I'd also like to read about the orc civil war, or whatever kind of war it was, what did Drizzt do that gained him the unicorn? how did the marches respond to the death of the High Lady? how are her sons doing in regards to filling her shoes, as she casts a long shadow and what are there emotional states dealing with the various problems within and outside the Marches. Of course all the others mentioned are equally interesting.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  21:28:39  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If they were eBooks the length of the Pathfinder Web Fiction stories, I would easily pay $1 apiece. Collected into an anthology, $10 sounds about right.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  21:31:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, it's bittersweet--I have a whole Kingdom of Many-Arrows novel outlined that answers many of these questions. Not that WotC is interested (yet) in publishing it.

Cheers

Hmmmphh....there you go again, making me make hard choices. That subject us one I ferverently hope is left to fall away into the ethers(unless you wanna make them into a broken kingdom of bloodthirsty untrustworthy monsters....you know, like orcs), but you mention the only possibility of me reading such a novel, you writing it.

Damn you de Bie!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  22:12:28  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah knowing Errick they'd be more like the old norce depiction of them, and maybe speeled with a "k" instead of a "C".

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  22:26:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Hawkins: I was thinking something along the lines of $1 for 2-5k words, $2 for 5-10k. Would that sound reasonable?

Web Fiction through Pathfinder Tales comes out in ~2k chapters on a weekly basis. What I'd want to see from WotC is twice-monthly releases in the 2-5k range, and once-monthly in the 5-10k range. This would be to start, and there would be more eventually.

This is in addition to WotC's novel plan, with as of the Sundering is down to one every two months.

quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

Yeah knowing Errick they'd be more like the old norce depiction of them, and maybe speeled with a "k" instead of a "C".

Heh. To me, Ork is spelled with a K, indeed.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 11 Oct 2012 22:27:03
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  02:15:11  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

What was involved in the League of the Silver Marches once again taking on the name of "Luruar"?

The dwarves' departure therefrom.

The last known events in the life of Artemis (formerly Entreri).

The earliest known events in the life of Barrabus the Gray.

What has Mithral Hall been up to?

What was this Third Orc War, mentioned in Gauntlgrym? (And what was the Second, while we're at it?)

The complete history of all the Oboulds, goodly and less-goodly.

What turned the orcs of Many-Arrows against Luruar?

What makes you think Many-Arrows turned against Luruar instead of the other way around?

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  03:41:33  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because orcs have been the oldest default "bad guy" in FR

And while I'd like the whole situation to be a more complex situational affair mirring modern socio/political concepts, I'm not getting my hopes up. . AH, is just too strong in the Realms I'm afraid. I do try to keep my overly negative opinions to myself, but this is one concern that I feel I need to air. If you are considered unattractive in human terms, your more likely to be "evil".

Now that I have said this, I shall do my level best to be constructive from here on out.

Edited by - Sightless on 12 Oct 2012 03:52:34
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  04:12:11  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If we assume that's the attitude the people of Luruar have towards them, then what's to say they didn't go to the next logical step of "Well, the filthy pigfaced cavemen are going to turn on us, anyway, so lets go ahead and beat them to the punch"?

I'm not saying orcs can't be horribly treacherous creatures. I'm just saying I don't see elves, dwarves, or humans as being any better.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  04:53:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I have a whole plan for this in my idea about Many-Arrows, but I don't want to go too deeply into it (as who knows? I might publish the idea some day).

To shift back to the OP, who else wants to see WotC actively flesh out the Silent Century? What topics do you want to see addressed?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  05:01:05  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'm not saying that at all, and the Game designers may have well left it open for DMs to do whatever they wanted with it. If they do however given an in game explanation, I suspect that they'll have something to the extent that it's the orcs that started it. For me I would like if it was a slow escolating issue related to a combination of political, economic and other issues, the inability to properly prosacute the triple C, as members of that group will cry fowl whenever the orcs slay one of there members, without complete proof, that they were members of that group. I wouldn't be suprised if members of said organization even held positions of importance within the Silver Marches, could begin to wage a sort of economic warfar on the Kingdom, suttle boy cots of merchants known to deal with the orcs etc. The orcs retalite by closing their borders, as seen in the Orc King, hoping that the show of a solid gesture on an economic front will force the Silver Marches to deal with a more rebelious element of its self. Of course then the others can say they've broken the treaty, which frankly I'd love to see what was in said treaty, and see who it favors, as treaties usually favor one side over the other.

This is a very broad and brief description of what I'd like to see happen and kind of how I'd like to see it happen. I just have a suspicion given how Fr as treated orcs that this probably wont happen, but I've been wrong before, so who knows.

Now, I'll try very hard to let this subject drop, as it's probably not what the creater of this thread had in mind when he created it.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  06:04:49  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll leave any further Many-Arrows specific talk in my threat in the general fr chat, though I'll say as I've said before, as much as I want more lore on them and would love a novel, I'm always leery about the idea because I'm always afraid Wizards will have the snap back reaction where they'll hastily try to undo the change and send orc back into being those boring, mindless savages instead of the interesting, multidimensional people I know they can be.

I'd also be interested in seeing some more novels fleshing out that untouched century. If 5e wants to do the "time period neutral" thing, then you'll need information on all time periods to make that happen, and that century has a lot of potential. Again, aside from Many-Arrows, my specific interests would be Tymanther and Returned Abeir- even if they're being taken out of the setting I'd like the fact that they existed for a century to be acknowledged- as well as Calimshaan and the rise of the genasi population there of.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  21:31:48  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

I would be. Though I'd be more inclined to wait till the paperback collection gets released, and then go back and buy the ebooks which didn't make the cut.
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  22:31:25  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have loved a novel about how Quenthel became the Matron Mother... and some novels about the Silver Marches and all that is going on there with orcs and the federation etc.

And I think monthly Realm stories idea is a brilliant one! It could be like a subscription of some sorts.

Edited by - farinal on 12 Oct 2012 22:33:43
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  23:11:45  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

What makes you think Many-Arrows turned against Luruar instead of the other way around?

Like Sightless said: basically, because they're orcs. That's enough for me, right there.

Remember The Orc King, in which King Obould initially was perfectly willing to let Chieftain Grguch launch further violence against the other peoples of the North, breaking the stalemate and effective truce at the end of The Two Swords, and only intervened when he learned that Grguch had plans to overthrow him? This "peaceful" kingdom has only seen a tenuous peace, at best, since it's very beginning. Many orcs would have that peace undone. The Third Orc War, whatever that refers to, would seem to bear that out in a dramatic fashion. And then throw in the mounting calls for renewed violence by the radical conquest-monger shamans, mentioned in the Prologue ca. 1472 DR, and it seems highly likely to me that the orcs went sour on the deal.

Remember that the dwarves left the League first. Officially, they were concerned about having to contribute too much to the the military defense of the international coalition. But personally, methinks they got tired of being allies with pig-faces.

So that left a bunch of humans and elves to play allies, instead. These were exactly the sorts that had called for peace with the orcs in the first place. Therefore, they probably would be the last ones to turn on those orcs. They had the greatest interest in continuing the farce, for as long as possible. Like King Obould "VI"[/XVI] thought to himself in the Prologue, the other races actively made excuses and allowances for typical brutish behavior by orcs that they would not tolerate from other peoples, and Obould found that demeaning and embarrassing. No matter the activities of the CCC--the human and elven leaders were vested in maintaining the nice public front of the Treaty with the orcs.

That makes me think that it must've been the orcs who pulled out of it.

I'd like to think that the CCC assassinated one of those orc females who was intermarrying with the other races in the Prologue, and the orcs didn't take too kindly to it. How dare the humans and pointy-ears kill one of their beloved orc darlings? I'd think that that sort of thing just might set large numbers of the already-steemed orcs off, and force the king's hand. (Recall the start of RW WWI.)

At any rate, Many-Arrows is said to be an enemy of Luruar in 1479 DR (FRCG), alongside the Netherese and Menzoberranyr.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  23:46:24  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thus going back to my point that ugly beings can't be good, they've got to be evil.

It's a pity that This seems to rule fantasy. This way PCs can slaughter orcs and not have to worry about it. Because orcs are stupid ugly and evil. These are synomonous with one another, just ask an elf, or a dwarf. It's interesting that the only person to have orcs and dwarves as allies were the people that invented them, but in those legends it was the elves and the Fay that were more apt to be evil. Well, Tolkien did have the orcs and dwarves tem up when the elves laid claim to some dragon treasure, but that was more to show the greedy nature of the dwarves.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000